Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Godzilla King of the Monsters!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVDtmouV9kM

King Kong Godzilla Super Friends coming up!

https://twitter.com/kongskullisland/status/885166877147660288

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Best I could do with all of them. If you see [...] it's because I couldn't make it out or it isn't visible at all.

Splitting the Atom
Albert Einstein's General Theory of Relativity ultimately leads to the splitting of the atom and the dawn of the atomic age.
This epoch-defining stage in human evolution will act as a beacon that awakens ancient superspecies sustained by nuclear energy.

The U.S.S. Lawton Incident
[...] survivor. Haunted by the memory of that day, Randa will go on to become one of MONARCH's foremost operatives, searching for the truth behind the ancient creatures that exist beneath the surface of our world.

MONARCH Founded
In the aftermath and cover-up of the U.S.S. Lawton incident, President Truman unofficially establishes "MONARCH Unit", A small, off-book research team established to engage in the systematic study of "Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organisms". Privately, many of Truman's allies question the validity of the group's theories and work to keep their existence a secret.

The Great Smog of London
Baffling meteorologists and defying [...] this unexplained weather phenomenon [...] overwhelmed by huge clouds of air-pollution [...] MONARCH theorizes that the beating [...] could have created an anticyclone th[...] pollutants across the city.

Siberian Mystery

Mission: Skull
MONARCH surreptitiously partners with LANDSAT and the 1st Aviation Brigade, 3rd Assault Helicopter Company to mount an expedition to the mythical "Skull Island" in an uncharted corner of the south Pacific. Encountering the god-like superspecies known as Kong, they soon discover that mankind does not belong here.

Isla De Mona
A covert MONARCH team establishes a quarantine zone around the island's dormant volcano, under the guise of "environmental research". Over the coming years, what began as a small scientific outpost will expand to become a full containment facility around the mouth of the volcano.

Return to Skull Island
MONARCH security officer Aaron Brooks d[...] his father Houston Brooks and leads an off-the-books mission to Skull Island, to determine what has become of Kong since the 1973 expedition.

Janjira [...]
(graphic says "Janjira, Japan", this is the incident that killed Walter White's wife in Godzilla)

Temple of the Moth
Mythographic Studies of Chinese temples leads MONARCH to the high-altitude jungles of the Yunnan province. Dr. Emma Russell and her team follow a mysterious bio-acoustic signature to a previously undiscovered megalithic temple, within which lies a gigantic cocoon. A quickening heartbeat is detected inside.

A Mysterious Mercenary(?)

Message in a Bottle

The Battle of San Francisco
The existence of giant superspecies is revealed to the world as Godzilla clashes with two M.U.T.O.S in the center of San Francisco, unleashing devastation upon the urban center, the world watches as Godzilla defends our world and restores balance to the natural order. The time has come for MONARCH to step ouf of the shadows.

Monster Zero
When MONARCH discover an extraordinary superspecies sealed beneath the Antarctic ice sheet. Dr. Vivienne Graham leads hte effort to build a covert containment and research facility around the dormant creature. Her classified field notes contain a mysterious footnote: "The devil has three heads."

Godzillza Anime Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuW6HURwKWg

New Godzilla Anime coming up

Seemlar posted:

The plot on this one is a doozy. It's about humanity having fled the Earth in ark ships after losing a 50 year war against Kaiju, now returning to try and retake a world that's been ruled by Godzilla for 20,000 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKHXvYZQN4Y

---------------------------------

http://shin-godzilla.jp/

When I first saw this design, I wasn't sure what to think. That all changed today when I saw the newish trailer for this movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysRIwlEBjuw

Looks vicious, looks damaged, and most of all, it looks like they're really promoting being able to see the monster more than just hiding him in the shadows like Godzilla (2014).

Directors: Hideaki Anno, Shinji Higuchi
Production company: Toho Co., Ltd.
Music composed by: Shiro Sagisu
Written by: Hideaki Anno
Starring:
Hiroki Hasegawa
Yutaka Takenouchi
Satomi Ishihara

I was ultimately disappointed by the US movie because of the many reasons others have articulated since the movie came out. As more information gets released, I'll be sure to keep this thread up. That being said, the fact that this is written by Anno gets me excited and a little apprehensive. I doubt we'll get much Godzilla introspection but you can expect some excellent visuals and controversy over themes presented by this film.

I guess this might be why we haven't seen Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 yet. He's been busy getting his Kaiju game on! That and this little tidbit from the end of the Wiki article:

In late March 2016, it was announced that Toho's Godzilla and Anno's Evangelion intellectual properties will form a "maximum collaboration" for merchandise in April 2016.[25]

Stolen from the Kaiju Thread:

Godzilla over the years:

Edit:

New Toho commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCxeP2HLrcg

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Godzilla 2014 the first two times I watched it. I was the biggest fan as a kid and wasn't surprised by the fact that Godzilla was a hero or anything.

I think my third viewing soured things a bit when I started letting Aaron Taylor Johnson's plot get to me and the criticisms of the movie itself started becoming apparent. I still like the movie and hope for more US Godzilla movies. In the end, I just didn't absolutely adore the movie as I thought I could have.

Martman posted:

I disagree with your feelings on Godzilla 2014 because of the many reasons others have articulated since the criticisms came out.

I'll revisit and look at the reasons others have articulated about the criticisms. Its a valid point and I haven't really thought about the movie since I just saw this trailer this afternoon.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
I thought GMK had a pretty decent human story.

Final Wars - I really just enjoyed everything about the movie. Its so loud and that opening sequence is so fun.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Imagine being able to see this in D-Box. Seats shaking, probably some smoke smells, all the immersion!

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Initial reviews of Shin Godzilla are pretty positive. Looks like Funimation picked up the rights for the movie as well.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Spoilerific trailer but still just a trailer :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6is0qMN0FiA

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
I'm really surprised by how the GMK looks like its completely dead vs. the newer ones.

Gonna put the Godzilla over the years pic in the OP. Anything else I should cover?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
English was fine and totally understandable given the fact that it wasn't made in an English speaking language. Its the same when you have people speaking other languages in movies here. The James Bond movie with the North Korean villain had someone who absolutely couldn't speak Korean speaking Korean. Its dumb to criticize the movie because of that but I've been seeing it throughout the internet :eyeroll:

That being said, what a fantastic movie. My girlfriend, who absolutely didn't want to see the movie, ended up enjoying it quite a bit. Definitely enjoyed it more than Godzilla 2014 and it was definitely the closest we're getting to a live-action full-length Evangelion movie at the moment.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Oh I see Zilla. Didn't notice him up there.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

CelticPredator posted:

There's just something so scary to me about giant monsters. Little monsters, or like, 8 foot ones you could probably lock up somewhere or have a shot at killing them.

You're completely helpless with something that huge.

That one scene in Pacific Rim must have been terrifying.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
I've been wondering - how do u go about changing the thread title?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Watched the last episode of the Netflix Godzilla series.

Yeah, I'm glad Netflix has a fast forward function.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Davros1 posted:

Eff you; I'm a goddam filet mignon.

Tasteless and tender? :v: I'll be a bavette steak any day.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Burkion posted:

So, one thing a lot of people get confused about with this movie is why it has such a heavy environmentalism message to it

And that's one of those things that might seem odd at first and you really won't get unless you know why this film even exists

And I mean, let's be clear here- tackling an important message like the environment and how it's changing for the worse and how we need to take responsibility for it, that's totally within Godzilla's wheel house.

Godzilla was always had messages like that when it wanted to.

But there is a VERY specific reason why it's such a huge thing in this movie.

There was this dude named Yoshimitsu Banno.
He was a director, but as a director he basically only got to make and write four movies.

One of them was a Godzilla film. He put a lot of himself into this movie, and pushed hard his message of environmentalism and the need for humanity to fight pollution

This movie was Godzilla VS Hedorah, one of the most infamous Godzilla films of all time
It was made as a commentary on pollution, the drug and hippie culture of Japan in the 60s and early 70s, and the need to save the planet from ourselves.

It is also the one where Godzilla flies, not unrelated to the whole drug thing.

Tanaka, the main producer of the Godzilla films who had missed Hedorah entirely due to being busy, hated the movie. Hated that it was ever made. Hated Banno for making it.

He blackballed Banno and banned him from ever working on another Toho project ever again, effectively killing his career

Banno never let go of his dream, despite this. Over the years he staid in contact with Toho and after Tanaka's passing, started work on a project of his own.

After the disaster of Godzilla 1998 and the middling returns of the Millennium Godzilla movies that followed from '99 to 2004, Banno approached American producers about a new Godzilla feature.

Godzilla 3D To The Max, started in early 2005, was Banno's idea to make a new American Godzilla film that staid true t othe Japanese original, but for the modern era.

He identified the growing climate change problem and created a new monster to embody it, and was set to have Godzilla face off with the monster in an IMAX exclusive short film, done exclusively in cutting edge 3D.

For those who know their cinema history, this was right before 3D started becoming big. Banno was looking to the future in every regard.

He got permission from Toho to get things going and ended up shopping his project to Legendary Pictures. Through his work and his negotiations, the project evolved and ended up becoming Godzilla 2014, which he was made Executive Producer of, and retained that title for King of the Monsters, despite his passing in 2017.

This is why King of the Monsters has such a heavy environmental message to it. Not just because it's the right thing to do, but also to embrace and honor the man singularly responsible for it existing.

Banno, black listed from Toho studios, the man responsible for saving the Godzilla franchise and reviving it in the new era. He and Nakajima, the original suit actor for Godzilla, were the two to get special mention in the credits of King of the Monsters, and Banno himself is who the film honors above all else.

Not bad for the man who had Godzilla fly while fighting the giant pollution monster huh

This is fascinating and a bit of backstory that's heartwarming.

Speaking of Nakajima:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCxeP2HLrcg

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
The only real problem with this movie:

I just figured he was treading water with his powerful feet and tail.

Or he is extremely buoyant by being really fat.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRwWcyjZpwo

G v G2 is happening.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
I enjoyed the callouts to Shin with Godzilla's breath penetrating buildings like a hot knife through butter. My only issue with G2k14 was the fact that his breath always seemed more cloudlike and... ethereal?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Terrible Opinions posted:

I've been watching it and so far my only real complaint is that it sepnds too long on the science behind the sci-fi stuff and the new segments and not enough on monster plot and/or the main characters interacting. Though that will hopefully be resolved as the plot picks up, only on episode 3.

Its a slow burn. Kojima said it best here:

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1400720759870214145

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Maybe because I have a kid of similar age but I was not expecting to be so weepy.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

site posted:

I kinda think Noriko should've stayed dead, instead of going for the "happy" ending/teaser though

I'm personally very okay with the happy ending and the black goo could be used to explain how she survived

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Looks like Godzilla might have been extended at the theaters! I get to take my wife!