Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I really dug the whole movie but I was totally blindsided by the freaky googly eyed proto form. Legitimately unsettling both in movement and appearance. Loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

resurgam40 posted:

This actually provided the biggest laugh of the night in my theater. The moment the guy said "Aw, my noodles got soggy" it was worth a chuckle on its own, but this girl down the row from me yelled out "Your entire capital city is on fire!" Cue even bigger laugh!

And that is my "soggy noodle" story.

Did people laugh because the obvious joke went directly above this person's head?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

this movie was a trash fire

the story was garbage, almost every scene was just expository dialogue explaining what was happening to the audience, and worst of all the giant monster fights were genuinely bad, short, and lacked any impact or spirit

I'm a huge godzilla fan and this movie was just terrible. my expectations weren't particularly high, I'm not some godzilla purist or anything, I just wanted a dumb movie where monsters fight and it looks cool

this was rotten. it has no redeeming qualities beyond the trailer

I won't go quite this far but I did not like it very much either. There were some cool shots in this movie and most of them were in the trailer. It feels like the other 80 percent of the movie takes place in the control rooms of various ships and subs with people even less interesting than Godzilla '14.

I did like the original Godzilla theme and some of the other Kaiju, sorry, Titans, particularly the big mammoth guy

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Violator posted:

Makes sense and roughly what everyone thought. Not sure what the need for a biological skeleton is but I’ll go with it. I’m not super excited about MG being in it at all but they’ve already gone down the wacky rabbit hole.

Isn't Mechagodzilla made out of the bones of the original Godzilla in the Millenium movies?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

I've been slowly working my way through the Criterion set and I gotta say, I loved Son of Godzilla. Kumonga and the Kamacuras are really cool and while Minilla is kind of derpy all the stuff with him and Godzilla was funny and endearing. I also watched vs. Ebirah for the first time non MSTed and liked it a lot too, from what I understand both movies have the same creative team. They brought a great sense of scale to the kaiju with some pretty inventive and dynamic shots (for the time) and are both in general just some fun and breezy movies.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Agreed, but also all of the Showa movies are like 100 percent different watching them in their native language with good transfers and the intended aspect ratio. I'm really glad they did this collection!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Magic Pus posted:

I love ‘Destroy All Monsters’! The global monster rampages and Ghidora getting absolutely wrecked are pure gold and the alien plot is fun, IMHO.

Now- it’s ‘All Monsters Attack’ that just totally blows. That glorified ‘clip show episode’ HAS to be the consensus choice for worst of the Showa Era, right? It’s the only one I don’t like. Having all your monster fights take place entirely within a kid’s daydream is bad enough but the majority of them are just recycled from ‘Son of Godzilla’ and ‘Ebirah’! I like those movies for their light, breezy feel but they were janky enough without being repackaged into an after school special. I DO kinda like Gabara’s design, in a ‘rejected Kure Kure Takora suit’ kinda way...

This is the last one I've watched in the box set up to this point and even though it barely counts as a Godzilla movie and most of the Kaiju footage is recycled, I actually like it for what it is. Doesn't hurt that it's barely over an hour long.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Vs Mechagodzilla is a weird case where I think the concept is cool, but everything it does is done better by Terror of Mechagodzilla. Still, you can't have one without the other, so...

You better not be talking poo poo about my boy King Caesar...

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

After I finished the Showa set I tracked down a good source for the Heisei/Millenium series and I've been watching one every week. Just finished vs Mechagodzilla 93 and gotta say, the Heisei series rules. Amazing suit designs, great city destruction scenes and fights. They really found a way to give the monsters a sense of scale that they never really had after 54. They've all just been batshit goofy live action anime too, especially vs King Ghidorah. I've never seen Space Godzilla which is up next but from what I hear it's one of the worst overall...oh well, at least I know Destroyah is good.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

after KOTM I have zero expectations for this but some of those shots of them fighting in the neon cyberpunk city are pretty cool

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

me and who

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

I checked out the Pluto TV Godzilla channel (protip it's under movies and not anime+gaming with the other geek stuff) and it's pretty cool. They are currently showing Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2 subtitled and in HD. Hopefully that means everything else gets the same treatment

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

ok well Godzilla 2000 is on the Pluto channel now and it's dubbed, looks like they use the dub if they have one? I dunno, guess we'll see when they do some Showa flicks

on that note I saw Mothra Rebirth 2 and 3 the other day and those were...movies. a lot of very poorly composited tiny women flying around, clearly more kid oriented than the typical kaiju stuff. very cool that they were airing at all though!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

crosspost from BSS but I got the Super 7 Ultimates '89 Godzilla and I think it's pretty cool:

robot roll call posted:

I got Super 7 Ultimates Godzilla and I thought that would be of interest to some of you:

I love him. He is enormous, beefy, heavy and about as poseable as you'd think (not very), although the tail, neck and arms are pretty decent. The jaw is not articulated but it comes with a roaring head that also looks great. He also comes with a few hand options and the vines Biollante wraps around his neck. I've never owned a Monsterarts so I don't know how it stacks up but the NECA 60s Godzilla vs Kong Godzilla I have goes up to his shoulder and has fairly similar articulation. Godzilla vs Biollante is my favorite big G design and this captures it perfectly.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

saw it a second time with a friend who hasn't seen any Godzilla movies. I was really curious as to what they'd think...they LOVED it. I appreciated it even more the second time too, it really all fits together very neatly and every second Godzilla is on screen is used to the absolute maximum. no Imax around me but seeing it on the Ultrascreen was still an incredible experience, this movie really puts the "god" in Godzilla. I wasn't sure of my rankings after the first viewing but this time I can definitively say for me it's: '54, Minus One and then Shin. Shin is great too but Minus One is really the whole package. what a time to be a G fan.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

It's impressive how the Monster Planet trilogy manages to have both the worst Mechagodzilla and Ghidorah.

the Monsterverse Mecha-G sucks pretty hard too, hate that design

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

.Speaking of other Godzillas, finally got around to seeing Destroy All Monsters after all these years, despite seeing Godzilla Vs Megalon on VHS before I was in kindergarten and playing the hell out of Destroy All Monsters: Melee on Gamecube.

It's not very... good, is it?

I don't mean in the Godzilla Minus One or original style good, either. I wasn't expecting a moving tale of guilt and redemption contemplating Japan's place in a post-war world. I mean as a gloriously stupid story of big monsters stomping on people. Because there's some good scenes of that, including the final curbstomping of Ghidorah, but it's spaced out between a bunch of nonsense with aliens that's much less fun than it sounds on paper. The protagonists scarcely have a personality trait between them, running into Godzilla on foot has no sense of danger, and the reaction to monsters destroying every world capital after decades of peace is less extreme than you get for a local sports team losing.

In its day, the spectacle was probably enough to be exciting, and some of it's still there (man, there are a lot of suits in this), but time has not been kind. Not the worst or anything, but a bit disappointing.

It's really not good! It was probably one of my biggest letdowns when I was going through the Criterion set, just completely squandering the amazing premise of having every monster possible in it. I feel the same way about Final Wars, actually...

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

what's not to love about this little berserker weirdo flinging itself around like a spiky pinball?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

imagine owning that one individual house he steps on in that part. there's nothing around for miles, what the gently caress man! you did this on purpose!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

I think this movie looks like absolute crud but as long as Toho keeps the bangers coming I don't really care what Godzilla gets up to on this side of the pond

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

The other thing that annoyed is how, for a film that apes so much of Spielberg, it employed little of his cinematic language to make Godzilla's appearance impactful or suspenseful. He just appears in the frame. They don't even bother to score him until halfway through the move. When he comes out of water he doesn't even make waves. This is the least awe inspiring Godzilla has ever been in a solo film. Less so than the 98 film, even.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

I mean I do agree though, the part where Godzilla turns to the camera and says "Toho Studios endorses any and all actions taken by the Japanese armed forces during World War 2" and gives a thumbs up was a bit much