Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

King Gidorah as a hero in GMK still weirds me out.

Edit: They should make a movie where Godzilla has to team up with KG to defeat a bigger monster, but Godzilla's been holding back a seething contempt for KG. Then, once the threat's been eliminated, Godzilla delivers a Stone Cold Stunner and rips off KG's heads off.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The allusions don't necessarily need to be instant killers. Pollution doesn't instantly kill people, but that doesn't make it less dangerous.

...if Hedorah was eating pollution, why was it necessary to kill him again?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I should rewatch it this weekend.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Everyone's lists are gonna be different, but you can't go wrong with

Godzilla vs Biolante

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II

Godzilla vs Megagurius

Godzilla vs Destroyah

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Raxivace posted:

Can't wait until it takes Funimation three years to put a blu-ray release out!

When was the last time Funimation put something out theatrically? Resurrection of F? That came out only a couple months after the limited theatrical release.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Godzilla 1984 Returns is coming to Bluray in a couple months.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FZ8I7R4/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_INVLxbSHWQS37

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Was that a good cut? Despite owning the US cut of Gojira on multiple formats, I have yet to watch it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

One showing in Surprise, which isn't too far from Phoenix. Just stupidly in the middle of nowhere.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't even see the one in Surprise, AZ any more. Just lists one in California 200 miles away. :argh:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Godzilla was in San Francisco two years ago, certainly you don't want him to come back.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Scottsdale Studio Movie Grill is playing it. Just ordered tickets.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Outside of Shin Godzilla, is every Godzilla movie available in the US? I'm pretty sure I have ever every available release, except Tristar.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They can be a pain in the dick, but sometimes you wait 40 years for a foreign movie to come out, you take what you can get.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Those aren't breathing holes, they're exaust ports for Godzilla's atomic breath.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There is beauty in imperfection.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

mothra is my fav kaiju and she's adorable the way she is

Mothra is a he.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Glamorama26 posted:

I forgot to mention that the menu of the bluray of The Return of Godzilla is an image of Godzilla standing among wreckage with this playing on a loop:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G1aZYf48aQQ

Amazing. I'll watch it this weekend. Maybe after Gojira for effect.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Godzilla '84 has the perfect grumpy face. He just does not want to talk to people until he drinks his cup of radiation.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bimmi posted:

My point. The real G would' a sunk those bitches.

This Godzilla doesn't even notice their presence. Do you notice the ants at your feet when you're out and about?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This is now the defacto Godzilla thread, and Shin Godzilla isn't out in the West for a couple more weeks.

What the hell is a "neutral" interpretation?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So you have no explanation. Gotcha.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

All Godzillas are beautiful. I just want to know how Godzilla 2014 is neutral.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Raids Again always reminded me of

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

KiteAuraan posted:

Got my ticket. Opening day first showing out in Arizona. Can't wait.

Where at? My screening is Tues. 11th at the Scottsdale Studio Movie Grill.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

KiteAuraan posted:

Digiplex Surprise. It's the closest one to where I live, though I haven't been in years so I have no idea how nice it is these days. All the Google reviews are just bitching about concession prices and quality so LOL @ that.

Edit: LOL apparently it's a filthy dump. I wonder if it's too late to just change my tickets to FilmBar or some nicer theatre...

If tickets are still on sale at SMG, get on them. Tickets are only $5 and it's one of those places that'll serve you a legit dinner. Much closer than the FilmBar to Surprise.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It was the bluray transfer. It looked perfect in theatres. They really hosed that up.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I saw it, and while I did enjoy it, I thought it moved a little too fast. Faster than I expected out of any Godzilla movie. Outside of Godzilla scenes, I don't think there were any two seconds where somebody wasn't talking. I missed the nice long stretches of Godzilla 2014 of beautiful shots and quiet moments. My viewing experience was hindered due to the theatre's weird seating arrangement and a guy's head was taking up a good portion of my screen and he was in an office chair (it's a restaurant hybrid) and he kept swaying back and forth, making it impossible to read subtitles at times.
The theatre was called Studio Movie Grill, so seeing SMG stamped everywhere was weird on multiple levels.

Regarding Godzilla itself: This one is a weird in between. He's not Savior of the Earth Hero Godzilla, but I can't quite say he's revengeance style villain Godzilla either. He kind of just... exists. A building sized elephant in the room. He doesn't outright attack anything as he trudges along. His energy attacks are self defense, which he doesn't even use until they do find something to that hurts him. His energy/fire puke was great.

I definitely like Godzilla 2014 better, but I'll give it a proper rewatch on bluray before giving it a final judgement.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

I just watched Godzilla '14 and it was pretty good but I really hope Shin Godzilla makes better use of Bryan Cranston.

I've got some bad news...

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I needed a bathroom break so I partially missed the scene where Patterson was introduced and I didn't realize she was supposed to be Japanese-American, so for a while I thought when she spoke English, she was making fun of English speakers. Kinda like how people do a fake John Wayne impression. But it was endearing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tsukiyaki Western Django is 90% Japanese people doing English line reads and 10% Quentin Tarantino in old man makeup eating beans and rambling about anime. I highly recommend it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MinibarMatchman posted:

...Kotaku is... ...worthless.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Though it would also be nice if someone cleared up the rights to Godzilla 1985- it's strictly worse than the Japanese cut but worth having for historical value (and they do give Raymond Burr a nice final monologue.)

I thought it was a special feature on the new bluray release? Did you miss that? https://www.amazon.com/Return-Godzilla-Blu-ray-Hashimoto-Koji/dp/B01FZ8I7R4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477191882&sr=8-1&keywords=Godzilla+1984

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Burkion posted:

That isn't Godzilla 1985. That is the Toho dub, without any of the additions that was made.

I am unclear if the dub is the same and they cut around it, but I suspect they are different.

Ohh, I just assumed it was the Raymond Burr cut the same way Criterion put in King of the Monsters as a bonus on their Gojira release.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Holy crap, I bought that set a couple years ago for half as much.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://youtu.be/a0uQnWAmf-k

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The success of Power Rangers, Pacific Rim 2, and the newly announced Voltron 2 will determine if we get Jet Jaguar in Godzilla 3.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tommy 2.0 posted:

drat, those are good. People in my theater first laughed when G was revealed (me included) but I started to really REALLY be creeped out by him.

Yeah. It's one thing when a giant angry lizard stomps into town and clearly wants to wreck poo poo up. You see a traditional Godzilla and it's clear that society hosed something up and here's the karmic blowback. It's a different matter when it's this giant... thing that just seems to be mindlessly flopping around.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

First Kong trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9y6oPka3us

Looks really good! Pretty funny that they got John C. Reily to wear a jacket with the words "For Your Health" on the back. Dunno how intentional that was. Also, John Goodman. Always a delight to see him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The only person I remember reading was in it was Samuel L. Jackson, which isn't too surprising cause he's in every movie ever.