Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ElectricSheep posted:

This is why I go to Regal
the only other theater in the area is Carmike and they have free soda on Tuesdays, so i'd say that's a pretty good deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Middle aged man driven to blind fury by meaningless non-answer to provocative question because someone mentioned milennials in the headline

what the gently caress are you talking about?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
No lie I had a meeting on a college campus and saw that someone had put up fliers all over the place that said "THEY CAN'T SILENCE US. MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD". The small print said to show up to the loving Carmike Cinema for a protest on banning phone use in movies.

We need another draft god drat

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Danger Mahoney posted:

No lie I had a meeting on a college campus and saw that someone had put up fliers all over the place that said "THEY CAN'T SILENCE US. MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD". The small print said to show up to the loving Carmike Cinema for a protest on banning phone use in movies.

We need another draft god drat

You only say this because you know you're too fat to go to war

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't been to the theater since they instituted a "no singles" policy

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
As someone who loves impotent bullshit stories on the internet I hope this happens just for the flood of of "...and then everyone started clapping!" poo poo that didn't happen stories people will cook up after spending two hours silently fuming about a kid with a phone

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Screw paying 7 bucks to go sit in a smelly theater with sticky floors when theres a drive in nearby

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Ive noticed the people that complain about going to movies are also the same people that complain about someone skanking too hard at a concert

aka theyre dweebs

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe this new rule is to prevent things like this from happening again

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/11/us/movie-theater-shooter-released-on-bond/

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Business Gorillas posted:

You only say this because you know you're too fat to go to war
all of the goons who say they want another draft are usually those that didn't or won't join the military themselves

or they're saying it in jest, but who knows with GBS

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Guy Mann posted:

Middle aged man driven to blind fury by meaningless non-answer to provocative question because someone mentioned milennials in the headline

ROFLburger posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about?

if any middle aged men are being driven fury by the mention of millennials they can gently caress off

hell what is more annoying is the guy's answer that you would have to cut a millennials arm off to stop them from texting, dude is the worst example of how every CEO is going after the magical "youth" demographic but is completely out of touch himself

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
When you text during the movie you are texting with ISIS

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3eeC2lJZs

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

iirc they would play this before the movies and the lady sued but the court ended up siding with the theater

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Hector Beerlioz posted:

iirc they would play this before the movies and the lady sued but the court ended up siding with the theater

and then they did a special star wars version when the new movie came out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1COD6IIcwI

its nowhere as good as the real one though

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

Hector Beerlioz posted:

this loving owns

i lust for Alamo drafthouse in every city

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
AMC considers selling nitrous balloons and Russian research chemicals to help entice millennial audiences to attend theaters.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You should be allowed to text in the theater, but only during that part where the maniac comes in to murder the audience with a machine gun imo.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
They have those theaters where small children aren't allowed. Can do make the same policy for millennials.?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Volume posted:

They have those theaters where small children aren't allowed. Can do make the same policy for millennials.?
millennials just watch everything through Netflix, so that won't do anything

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I only go to the movies a few times a year but when I do I get a gallon bucket of movie theater popcorn and don't even try to take any popcorn out of my bucket :mad:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

someone posted the alamo drafthouse voicemail already, so pretty much nothing further to contribute to this thread except probably punch your own balls off your body if you can't keep your phone in your pocket for 90 damned minutes and let me have a mild and predictable vicarious thrill as costumed superheroes save the earth.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i saw that hateful eight roadshow and now its ruined movies for me because i dont know how i could ever go back to watching 2+ hour movies without an intermission

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
My wife and I go to the drive-in. You can sit in your car, adjust the seats, talk if you want to, text, fart, whatever, and you won't disturb anybody else.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Is there any particular reason movie tickets are so expensive nowadays? It's like they saw demand going down so they figured they had to charge what little customers they still had more to make up for it rather than just charging less to encourage more people to come. I still like going to a movie once in a while but i'd probably go closer to once a week if it was more reasonably priced, and it's not like they'd lose anything either. I went to deadpool a couple days after it came out and despite it being recently released and a huge hit there was maybe a dozen people total watching it outside the group I was with, they could probably charge like a 3rd of the price for tickets and get way more than 3x that in the theater, it doesn't really make sense to me.

I'm sure there are some highly paid statisticians that determined that this is the best pricepoint but I honestly don't see it, it's not like it costs the theater more to have more people in it.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

genesplicer posted:

My wife and I go to the drive-in. You can sit in your car, adjust the seats, talk if you want to, text, fart, whatever, and you won't disturb anybody else.

I didn't even know these still existed. I remember being a little kid and twister had just come out and my family went and watched it, the drive in had a park inside where you could see the screen (and there was a speaker there too) and my brother and I spun around on one of these things whenever there was a tornado on screen.

solid childhood memory.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
A-list actors should make less money imo

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

ArbitraryC posted:

I didn't even know these still existed. I remember being a little kid and twister had just come out and my family went and watched it, the drive in had a park inside where you could see the screen (and there was a speaker there too) and my brother and I spun around on one of these things whenever there was a tornado on screen.

solid childhood memory.

The one we go to doesn't have the playground any more, kind of a bummer. Another thing I like about it is the fact you can adjust the volume to the level you prefer.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dont really get how cell phones in a movie theater are disruptive. if someone is being loud, sure. dont need a phone to do that, of course. but how is the existence of a cell phone a horrible movie-ruining experience? do you spend all your time staring at other peoples laps instead of the giant screen you paid to watch?

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUqLWTQCeHM

why bother seeing a movie in anything that isn't an Alamo Drafthouse or something equivalent

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Didn't some moron in the Batman Vs Superman thread live text during the movie to get gbs nerd cred? Jesus, what a piece of poo poo, I mean, say what you will about a movie, even a bad one, but show some goddamn respect when you're in the theater you inconsiderate savage.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I was at the theater seeing a pre-screening of the new Barbershop today (I am a whitey, I thought it was OK, I laughed once at the N word and felt bad) and somebody's phone went off and HOO-BOY I was pretty steamed!!

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

ruddiger posted:

Didn't some moron in the Batman Vs Superman thread live text during the movie to get gbs nerd cred? Jesus, what a piece of poo poo, I mean, say what you will about a movie, even a bad one, but show some goddamn respect when you're in the theater you inconsiderate savage.

has anyone who's done anything irl for gbs cred ever had that work out for them?

the closest thing i can think of was abe cheating at his own mod challenge but we all know how that worked out (got owned by a 12 year old)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

turns out if you have enough people do irl gbs cred stuff lowtax takes away your safe space and you get chased off the site

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
like i am playing up my anger a bit but seriously texting is just like one level below heckling and people shouldn't do it

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Serious Frolicking posted:

i dont really get how cell phones in a movie theater are disruptive. if someone is being loud, sure. dont need a phone to do that, of course. but how is the existence of a cell phone a horrible movie-ruining experience? do you spend all your time staring at other peoples laps instead of the giant screen you paid to watch?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/11/us/movie-theater-shooter-released-on-bond/

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pitdragon posted:

AMC must stand for Americans MURDERING (quality) Cinema!

All Mighty Cunts is the popular AMC sentiment for their TV net executives

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Serious Frolicking posted:

The human eye/brain is trained to recognize sudden movements out of the corner of your eye, it instantly draws your attention. Now couple this with a dark theater where the only source of light is the screen itself and it basically means anyone fiddling with their phone in your peripheral vision is going to draw your attention even if you're trying to ignore it because it's really bright.

genesplicer posted:

The one we go to doesn't have the playground any more, kind of a bummer. Another thing I like about it is the fact you can adjust the volume to the level you prefer.

From what I remember as a kid the drive ins used your radio right?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lol clueless execs still refusing to admit that the movies suck and they charge too much. Must be millenials, gotta be them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

He said comedy

• Locked thread