Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I only go to the movies a few times a year but when I do I get a gallon bucket of movie theater popcorn and don't even try to take any popcorn out of my bucket :mad:

I'm reaching my arm around you to tap your shoulder on the opposite side and when you look away I am grabbing huge handfuls of popcorn and like half of it is just fallin on the floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i saw that hateful eight roadshow and now its ruined movies for me because i dont know how i could ever go back to watching 2+ hour movies without an intermission

treat the movie like a colonoscopy and don't eat or drink for 24 hours beforehand, enema 30 minutes before the show

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
lol just loving lol if you watch movies in tyool2016

"i am dumb enough to enjoy entertainment that was literally designed to appeal to everyone down to and including actual retarded people"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AugmentedVision posted:

"i am dumb enough to enjoy entertainment that was literally designed to appeal to everyone down to and including actual retarded people"

the WRONG kind of entertainment

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Jim Barris posted:

I go to the movies fairly often and I only very rarely see someone using a phone or talking loudly. Then again, I tend to go either super late or super early so half the time it's just me, an old guy, and some couple making out in the back that compromises the entire audience. I don't know though when I went and saw star wars over the holidays the theater was packed and no one used their phone but some lady did bring a baby that started crying but she got up and left the theater immediately and didn't come back till the baby calmed down. I can't really get too mad about people breaking the rules at a theater though cause I almost always sneak in liquor.

That was my baby, sorry.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

All the theaters around here have been renovated in the last few years. They've all added bars. One has reserved seating that you pick out when you buy your ticket. Another one is dinner-and-a-movie style now.

I must be behind the times, because all of that just seems annoying.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ElectricSheep posted:

This is why I go to Regal

Regal's a couple bucks cheaper but has a flatter seat layout so your view is more often blocked by someone's head, and they don't have as good of sound mixing in my experience.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fitzy Fitz posted:

All the theaters around here have been renovated in the last few years. They've all added bars. One has reserved seating that you pick out when you buy your ticket. Another one is dinner-and-a-movie style now.

I must be behind the times, because all of that just seems annoying.
Being able to pick out your seat in advance is nice since you know where you'll be, most don't do that and I've only seen that in one theatre in NZ but i'd be ok if it catches on here.

It's actually good to be able to order alcoholic beverages and watch a movie. I mean yeah you can just sneak in some but it's more annoying, and having actual decent food options than poo poo pop corn is nice. Part of the fun of movies is more collective communal lively audience, like an Alamo Drafthouse, at least for me but I guess to each their own.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
I'm trapped between not wanting to be a crotchety old man and rolling my eyes at babies who can't stand the hardships of not texting for 2 hours.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I bet if that dude that shot all those people at the Batman movie only shot people on their phones no one would even be mad.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
AMC is also going to announce they're going to let people record films on their phones during the movie.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

effectual posted:

Regal's a couple bucks cheaper but has a flatter seat layout so your view is more often blocked by someone's head, and they don't have as good of sound mixing in my experience.

That was the first thing I noticed about the Regal here, back home I'm used to stepped seating and a huge screen... The one here is all flat seats and a small screen that's quite annoyingly high up. Not cool. Other than that it's pretty quiet and I saw Zootopia in a screening with just 2 other people in it recently, which was nice.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

RedMage129 posted:

I'm trapped between not wanting to be a crotchety old man and rolling my eyes at babies who can't stand the hardships of not texting for 2 hours.

people texting in movies is something that from my experience is done pretty much across ages

the head of AMC is an idiot

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

TOOT BOOT posted:

Drive Ins are good. You can sit in your own car with your own climate control

I dunno about that. I left my car running with the AC on at a drive-in recently and some guy knocked on my window and asked me to turn the car off because having the engine on means the rear lights are on the entire time and this bothered him. I thought he was just being a whiny bitch until I looked around and noticed I was literally the only person with the AC on. So either this particular drive-in has some unwritten rule about running your car during the movie, or they all have that unwritten rule and the people near you hate you but don't say anything.

My wife actually said I was nuts for keeping it on even before this guy complained because she said I am wasting a ridiculous amount of gas, but loving mosquitoes, man!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

revmoo posted:

drat that is insane. He left to get his gun, came back, and murdered a dude throwing popcorn at him and was given bond.

:florida:

Also a few weeks earlier some woman complained about him creepily following her to the bathroom because she was texting during the previews lol

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

the last movie I went to see was Straight Outta Compton and everyone was on their phone the whole 2 hour + duration and everyone laughed when eazy E got aids

why anyone bothers going to them frequently is beyond me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i got to see the force awakens on opening night in a 1/3 filled theater because we went to the aurora century 16

aint nobody comin to premieres there

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FViMFjkRQoY

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I saw Star Wars in the D-Box seats it was pretty rad

Ain't nobody texting when you're sitting in those

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Why would you ever go watch a movie in a movie theater, it's expensive and the "moviegoing experience" means being constantly annoyed at tiny poo poo while you're trying to watch what you paid money for

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

Why would you ever go watch a movie in a movie theater, it's expensive and the "moviegoing experience" means being constantly annoyed at tiny poo poo while you're trying to watch what you paid money for

my movie theater serves $8 beers and has reclining seats. :smug: its almost like watching a movie from home. its kind of like a really expensive "home simulator" if you will. with more germs and handicapped people

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Yeah, "moviegoing experience" is almost as anachronistic as "commercial flight experience" at this point.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

AugmentedVision posted:

I DON'T EVEN OWN A TV

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

TOOT BOOT posted:

Drive Ins are good. You can sit in your own car with your own climate control, some of them let you bring in outside food, free wifi, just a vastly more chill experience than sitting in the theater.

all drive-ins, in fact, all theaters, allow you to bring your own food. sometimes they just make you work for it.

I said come in! posted:

White people are obsessed with bringing back the 1950s.

we ought to bring back the 60s tbh. legalize LSD!

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

CJacobs posted:

Movie theaters are really good and fun is why.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I dunno about that. I left my car running with the AC on at a drive-in recently and some guy knocked on my window and asked me to turn the car off because having the engine on means the rear lights are on the entire time and this bothered him. I thought he was just being a whiny bitch until I looked around and noticed I was literally the only person with the AC on. So either this particular drive-in has some unwritten rule about running your car during the movie, or they all have that unwritten rule and the people near you hate you but don't say anything.

My wife actually said I was nuts for keeping it on even before this guy complained because she said I am wasting a ridiculous amount of gas, but loving mosquitoes, man!

Yeah every time I've gone people have the car engines shut off even if that means their car ain't starting after the show because they've been blasting the movie on their ridiculous sound system. A movie during a nice summer evening with the windows down sounds great. Then you realize that smokers go to drive-ins because it's the only place you can smoke during a movie.

Also depending on how it's configured, you can easily get other movies you want to see spoiled because the screen is right in your peripheral view. I had Transformers 2 spoiled for me that way but luckily it was only Transformers 2

That70sShirt posted:

Yeah, drive-ins are far from perfect. On a recent trip to the local drive-in the family in the car(s) next to ours let their nine kids run around playing flashlight tag the entire loving movie. They were loud and noisy and just generally lovely kids. At one point they shined their flashlights directly into our eyes and, even after telling them not to do that, they kept coming back to do it every 10 minutes or so. Parents didn't do poo poo about it. It was like they just let their kids loose on a playground or something.

The last time I went to one, some family brought a couch that looks like they normally leave on their porch and had it propped up perpendicular across the top of their pick-up bed. And had a pack-n-play set down in the dirt for their baby. And the truck next to me was blasting Drowning Pool before the movie started and there was a 3 year old girl named Destiny inside. It caters to a particular clientele

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

WhyteRyce posted:

Yeah every time I've gone people have the car engines shut off even if that means their car ain't starting after the show because they've been blasting the movie on their ridiculous sound system. A movie during a nice summer evening with the windows down sounds great. Then you realize that smokers go to drive-ins because it's the only place you can smoke during a movie.

Yeah in hindsight I realized I was a dick for leaving my car running; if the person in front of me had their car's rear lights on the entire movie it would be pretty annoying. But in my defense, I honestly kind of forgot that rear lights stay on when a car is on even if it's parked. Total brain-fart.

I forgot that people do turn their cars on randomly during the movie so it doesn't kill their battery.

I do like drive-ins once in a while but the mosquitoes make it unbearable. I guess they do invent things to help that but it seems a bit ridiculous to buy one of these for the once every 5 years I go to a drive-in.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

dad gay. so what posted:

my movie theater serves $8 beers and has reclining seats. :smug: its almost like watching a movie from home. its kind of like a really expensive "home simulator" if you will. with more germs and handicapped people

Way to brag about paying way too much for a loving beer?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Way to brag about paying way too much for a loving beer?

youre welcome :smug:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

WhyteRyce posted:

The last time I went to one, some family brought a couch that looks like they normally leave on their porch and had it propped up perpendicular across the top of their pick-up bed. And had a pack-n-play set down in the dirt for their baby. And the truck next to me was blasting Drowning Pool before the movie started and there was a 3 year old girl named Destiny inside. It caters to a particular clientele

That sounds fun as poo poo, kick em a few millers out of your cooler and see if you can get a couple of those hot dogs

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I hate it when people text at the opera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Booth shot Lincoln because he was using a candle to write memoirs and ruining the play.

• Locked thread