Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ranpo is basically a less dickish Sherlock Holmes, which I don't think is too much of a hurdle to believe. Tying deduction to magic powers wouldn't have sit well with me anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

paragon1 posted:

Edit: So I hear that foreign authors eventually start showing up in the books. Care to share how Steinbeck ends up shaking out, since the anime probably won't get that far?

these profile pages from the manga are real handy

My initial expectation was that the first season would handle the Detective Agency v Port Mafia and then introduce the foreign element for the second season, and when things were moving along so speedily early on that seemed reasonable but now I think you're right and it's not going to get that far. Steinbeck's ability is pretty gnarly, he used the "plant on a host" bit in the most recently translated chapter and I was like :stonk:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

Ranpo is basically a less dickish Sherlock Holmes, which I don't think is too much of a hurdle to believe. Tying deduction to magic powers wouldn't have sit well with me anyhow.

If he was a dick he'd be insufferable but they do a good job making his ego stuff so clueless (heh) so he ends up being cute. He's like a pet the way everyone spoils him :3:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Everything Burrito posted:

If he was a dick he'd be insufferable but they do a good job making his ego stuff so clueless (heh) so he ends up being cute. He's like a pet the way everyone spoils him :3:

:3:

tbh, I was a little disappointed with the Ranpo reveal, if only because I'm kinda tired of the 'Sherlock Holmes' character and I was looking forward to something about his power pushing further than that archetype usually goes. Buuuut~ really agreed that the actual character is super cute anyway, so it's not a big deal for me :)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mark Twain is a sniper with two little...spirits or something that operate as a team; one gets the target's coordinates and the other guides the bullet

e: also it's taken 6 volumes and the anime probably will never get there, but Atsushi is finally starting to accept his powers and learn to use them better, he's been pretty cool in the most recently translated chapters.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 18, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The ending to that wasn't unexpected although I wasn't sure how the hacker kid was going to turn out. I'm glad they decided to merge the novel stuff in, that gave Kunikida some much-needed development that he doesn't really get in the manga. That mid-air switch, too :allears:

Nobuko Sasaki was Doppo Kunikida's first wife and well...it didn't really work out for them either :v:

wikipedia posted:

Against her parent's wishes (Nobuko's mother encouraged her to commit suicide rather than marry Doppo), the couple was married in November 1895. Kunikida's ensuing financial difficulties caused the pregnant Nobuko to divorce him after only five months. The failed marriage had a traumatic effect on Doppo, and his depression and mental anguish over the separation can be seen in Azamukazaru no Ki, published from 1908–1909.

I guess they dealt with having to incorporate Atsushi as best they could but man you could really tell he wasn't part of the original material. Next ep is back to the manga!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The ending to that wasn't unexpected although I wasn't sure how the hacker kid was going to turn out. I'm glad they decided to merge the novel stuff in, that gave Kunikida some much-needed development that he doesn't really get in the manga. That mid-air switch, too :allears:

It gave me cool gay shonen feels.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
haha man that sure was a whole lot of people dying for no good reason :smith:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

paragon1 posted:

haha man that sure was a whole lot of people dying for no good reason :smith:

Yeah, and it didn't reflect that favorably on Dazai that he pretty much orchestrated their deaths just to prove a point to Kunikida.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
the manga art is so cool, definitely what drew me to it in the first place

I'm really happy the scan group is putting out their scans the same day the episode airs, I can read a chapter at work then watch the new episode when I get home so it's not quite so hard to wait for it lol

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

I mean, it makes sense for his character, but man do I not want to see that orphanage flashback again.

I can't believe I'm getting trolled like this.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
I didn't spot this thread earlier but I'm very much watching the show and loving the hell out of it. :kimchi:
A little hard to discuss it when all my reactions and statements boil down to "OH MY GOSH THIS IS SO GOOD :syoon:"

Knowing a lot of the voice roles this show's cast has done before seems to add another layer of odd humor/appreciation for me. Things like Akutagawa walking into a police station and being instantly recognized by everyone in the vicinity after Ono Kensho got famous for playing Kuroko Tetsuya in Kuroko no Basket, where the character's lack of presence was a huge deal, or Kunikida's VA also acting the part of responsibility-taking captain of earlier mentioned Kuroko's basketball team (if anyone wants to hear Yoshimasa Hosoya doing a different style of performance, do check out what he's up to in Tokyo Mirage Session #FE).

Back to the topic: I knew the doctor lady was going to be fun the moment there were hints of her questionable treatment methods being dropped around but man did I not expect it to be "oh I need to almost kill my patients before I can actually heal them". :allears:

So was it actually confirmed anywhere if Kunikida was the Azure King or was his model (with the hair and all) used to portray the person in flashbacks for no such reason? Because I was so sure almost to the end that they'd do a dumb "Kunikida was the Azure King before he joined the office, he's making up for past mistakes" reveal, but then again...he's not really old enough to be the hacker boy's dad...and the crazy lady didn't show any signs of recognition...and now instead of being happy about having my prediction diverted I feel like Kunikida was dragged into the whole drama for no real reason. :argh: "HAVING IDEALS GETS PEOPLE KILLED" seems like a dumb morale for the story.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

CryingAthena posted:

So was it actually confirmed anywhere if Kunikida was the Azure King or was his model (with the hair and all) used to portray the person in flashbacks for no such reason? Because I was so sure almost to the end that they'd do a dumb "Kunikida was the Azure King before he joined the office, he's making up for past mistakes" reveal, but then again...he's not really old enough to be the hacker boy's dad...and the crazy lady didn't show any signs of recognition...and now instead of being happy about having my prediction diverted I feel like Kunikida was dragged into the whole drama for no real reason. :argh: "HAVING IDEALS GETS PEOPLE KILLED" seems like a dumb morale for the story.

No it was pretty much the ideals thing, dumb as it was. The similarities were there to draw parallels between Kunikida and the Azure King imo -- a "this is you if you stay on this path" kind of thing. It's not really that having ideals in general is such a bad thing but that Kunikida is super rigid and uptight and is basically setting himself up for failure by having such high standards for every aspect of his life to follow.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Doctor rules

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

Doctor rules

:yeah: I like her a lot. Also lemon bomb guy, he's so goofy.

Very much enjoyed Fukuzawa in the latest episode, his nickname may be Silver Wolf but he's a silver fox :swoon: Also lol @ Ranpo's motivation for helping. They apparently have a lot of history - Fukuzawa founded the Armed Detective Agency to give Ranpo a safe place to belong.

Dazai and Chuya's backstory is interesting, but the manga has only just now gotten into any of it so it probably won't get explained in the show: As stated, they were a team -- Chuya's ability at max level is super strong but rages out of control and Dazai is the only one who can pull him out of it before it kills him. It's easy to see why they get shipped together a lot -- they have one of those relationships where they snipe at each other constantly but have an underlying sense of trust, since Chuya has to depend on Dazai not to let him die.

I hope they don't condense the fight too much in the next episode! They got to it a little bit earlier than I expected because ep 8 was another 2-chapter arc mashed into one episode and ep 9 also covered a couple of chapters; I'd kinda figured it would be the last arc of the season because there's some lighter content afterwards, but I could see maybe the big fight covering eps 10/11 and 12 being more of an epilogue. They can probably do it all in one without crunching too much though, so I wonder if they end up doing that if the next 2 chapters would get their own episode each or get combined into one leaving 12 for the first clash with The Guild.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 4, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lol you just know that everything Dazai does to gently caress with Kunikida now, he used to do to Chuya

That episode felt a tiny bit rushed to me but I glanced back through those chapters and this was practically a panel by panel adaption so I guess it just felt more drawn out when I read it. I like that they put both chapter titles into the preview for the next episode, looks like it's going to cover quite a bit of ground.

The one major change was only introducing one Guild member vs three of them but I'm sure that saved having to cast more voice actors just for one tiny scene.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I like that the Agency's boss just had to walk into the room and tell all of Atsushi's coworkers "Shut up you idiots, we're rescuing him."

In a lot of stories it's the other way around!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
"I believe I have the right to live because the Agency didn't abandon me!"

*Enter Kunikida, who thought they should totally abandon him, stage left in a motorboat*

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akutagawa is jelly as heck, lol.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
ahaha holy poo poo chapter 32 of the manga is Poe vs Ranpo

:3:
I really hope they manage to work that into season 2 somehow, it was a fun chapter and Ranpo is adorable haha

e: btw I hope folks don't get too salty about me posting current manga stuff, I will endeavor to not spoil anything that's probably anime-relevant but I really want to react to stuff somewhere

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 9, 2016

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
I keep remembering that scene with Ranpo opening his eyes all wide at "I'll praise you" and thinking of him as a kitten waiting for petting. :kimchi:

Don't know about everyone else but I'm pretty okay with manga stuff as long as it's not showing important plot points and dialogue naming people we haven't seen/heard of before.

More Ranpo will always be appreciated! :kimchi:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Very excited that next episode is going to be back to wacky adventures. I thought this arc was going to last us through the end of the season.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm glad the main character finally did something useful!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm interested in seeing more F. Scott Fitzgerald.

The setting of this is kind of weird in ways that haven't been discussed much. Despite the characters being named after writers from the 19th and early 20th centuries, they have 21st-century technology. On the other hand, Japan seems to still be militaristic. I guess their world diverged from our own when people started getting powers around World War I?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think any of the characters are supposed to actually be the writers they're named for. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by how militaristic Japan seems though? I don't recall seeing any actual military, just police. There's also a government branch that deals with ability users that was briefly mentioned but don't remember if they named it. TBH I don't think the show or the manga either one has done a huge amount of world-building beyond establishing the various groups that are either composed of ability users or have to deal with them in some way, but I like how the setting is limited to one city even though at least one of the big players operates on an international scale.

I'm not sure how much this has come through just from the show but there seems to be a fairly precarious balance between those groups in Yokohama (prior to the guild showing up). There's an organized crime element running around doing pretty much whatever they want, but they have enough respect for the law that they're concerned about their secrets being outed to the authorities. The police/government have their hands so full that they have to contract out jobs to the Armed Detectives, who seem to have free reign to operate however they want. There's kind of a frontier/wild west feeling to the whole thing to me.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 12, 2016

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

I don't think any of the characters are supposed to actually be the writers they're named for.

Obviously, although that implies that the actual writers didn't exist in their world, since no one remarks on the coincidence.

quote:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by how militaristic Japan seems though? I don't recall seeing any actual military, just police. There's also a government branch that deals with ability users that was briefly mentioned but don't remember if they named it.

Isn't the main police organization in their world's Japan called the Military Police?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silver2195 posted:

Isn't the main police organization in their world's Japan called the Military Police?

ah yeah they are, guess I didn't make that association :downs:

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
The Kenji-Atsushi duo truly is The Best Worst Team. :allears:

Kinda ended up missing Dazai, though, I thought we were getting that big fight scene with Redhead with Lame Hats.

...nevermind that. DAZAI YOU LAZY BUM.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I like that guitars just start loving wailing when the President shows up.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
As an uncultured swine, I'm glad this show is making me aware of the literary references in other anime I didn't notice before, lol.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
So the Guild is here. This bunch is way overpowered. And while I've never actually looked up Anne of the Green Gables before, this power of association is making me not want to know. :stonk:

And of course Port Mafia's leader is super-interesting and fun in comparison to Mr. American Capitalist Guild-person. :allears:
I need that second season RIGHT NOW! :kimchi:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
finally not on vacation nor too sick to watch anything and with enough internet to actually stream stuff *whew*
time to watch 11 and 12 and then the long wait til season 2!

CryingAthena posted:

The Kenji-Atsushi duo truly is The Best Worst Team. :allears:
Kenji is too pure for this world

paragon1 posted:

I like that guitars just start loving wailing when the President shows up.
haha I had that exact thought

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
the BSD webcomic Bungou Stray Dogs Wan! is being translated by people who don't want it on any of the aggregator sites, so you have to go through this page to get them, or here which is the person who took them over I think. Or mangago because they're lovely enough to not care about do not upload requests :v:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 27, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
BSD Wan! is dumb and cute :3:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

for the flashback haters - Akutagawa agrees with you haha

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

good

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

he's right

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Straight up truth bombs yo

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't post anything from the latest chapters since it would be huge spoilers but I really hope the second season gets to all of this. Ch 36 is (very general plot-related spoiler) the end of the fight with the Guild/Fitzgerald but there's quite a bit between where S1 left off and that point. It's not totally undoable, Ch 15/16 was where Season 1 left off and they did burn an episode on novel content so they could probably cover most everything without the pacing suffering too much. The Guild guys are pretty fun though and I'd hate for the anime not to do justice to all of them.

ah gently caress it this is a big ole spoiler so don't click it but it was so awesome and I am dying to see it animated
http://i.imgur.com/XQ7OhsN.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I thought it was a great chapter. The directors reveal, and Kyouka's conclusion were both executed very well. I like that they went with a happier ending than the setup would have suggested.

• Locked thread