Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
strong bird
May 12, 2009

Hello this thread is for soup discussion. Hopefully we can curtain soup chat derailing in other threads by keeping it all here.

'Soup' is defined as regular foods in salt and water. Anyone can make soup; it's really easy. There's a reason it's called 'soup'. Does anyone know?

My favorite soup is probably beef or lamb barley vegetable soup.

Do you like soup? Why do you like soup? Let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

strong bird posted:

Hello this thread is for soup discussion. Hopefully we can curtain soup chat

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Do not troll the soup megathread

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
the easiest and bestest,
chicken filet in a crockpot, add a jar of salsa,
wait 6 to 8 hours for it to be ready....or go do something else in the mean time.

when it's finished and you're ready to eat, add half a liter of (hot) water to the pot,
stir,
eat,
thank me later

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

you're wrong, the best is a jar of grape jelly with a jar of hot sauce and meatballs, then you add hot water

this soup is way better than yours

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

But Not Tonight posted:

you're wrong, the best is a jar of grape jelly with a jar of hot sauce and meatballs, then you add hot water

this soup is way better than yours

This sounds pretty good.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Beef barley is wonderful in the winter.

So are turnip soup and borsch.

Black eyed pea soup with bacon and spinach also a favorite of mine.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

How do I make good split pea soup with ham?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Use ham.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

You have to split the peas with a very sharp knife. A rough hew will make your soup gritty.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

BigHead posted:

You have to split the peas with a very sharp knife. A rough hew will make your soup gritty.

personally I prefer a razor sharp mandoline, you can do a whole bunch of them in one swipe!

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Stupid simple soup I figured out for when you're living in poverty like me are seriously constrained by a budget/or are lazy as gently caress.

Take chicken broth. 1 to 2 cans of this stuff. Maybe add water
Take potatoes. Any kind will due. Peel if your life is empty and soulless, or leave unpeeled for flavor and textures.
Take onion. Chop onion up. Throw that poo poo in the pot. I used one, but you can use as many as your strange smell requires.
Add spices. In my case, that would be some purloined curry spices, pepper, salt, and garlic. Did I say garlic? I meant a lot of garlic.

Boil for...a while. Until the potatoes have been reduced to mushy goodness. You may want to break them up while you're doing this.

Serve hot, put in facehole. Should be extremely mediocre to passably decent.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
sstrong bird what is the latest on soup??;;

strong bird
May 12, 2009

It will soon become too hot to comfortably consume hot soups, so I recommend you enjoy it now.

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick
Migrate north for the summer.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Saw someone wearing this shirt earlier today, made me laugh.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

strong bird posted:

It will soon become too hot to comfortably consume hot soups, so I recommend you enjoy it now.

I have refitted my bedroom into a giant refrigerator in order to consume hot soup with optimum comfort during the hottest of summer days.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Rollofthedice posted:

I have refitted my bedroom into a giant refrigerator in order to consume hot soup with optimum comfort during the hottest of summer days.

Cool life hack.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

A White Guy posted:

Stupid simple soup I figured out for when you're living in poverty like me are seriously constrained by a budget/or are lazy as gently caress.

Take chicken broth. 1 to 2 cans of this stuff. Maybe add water
Take potatoes. Any kind will due. Peel if your life is empty and soulless, or leave unpeeled for flavor and textures.
Take onion. Chop onion up. Throw that poo poo in the pot. I used one, but you can use as many as your strange smell requires.
Add spices. In my case, that would be some purloined curry spices, pepper, salt, and garlic. Did I say garlic? I meant a lot of garlic.

Boil for...a while. Until the potatoes have been reduced to mushy goodness. You may want to break them up while you're doing this.

Serve hot, put in facehole. Should be extremely mediocre to passably decent.

Potato + Onion (or Leek, or both!) is classic as heck and, on topic with the incoming summer heat, works really good cold too. Chill the soup, blend it if you feel like it to really make it smooth, add a little bit of dairy (milk/cream) if you have it, re-season a little, and you can pretend you're fancy by calling it by a French name

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Buy 1 Costco ready-cooked roasted chicken.

Remove the lid and let it cool in the fridge uncovered for 1 hour.

Pre-heat your crock pot to Low.

Strain a jar of salsa. Keep the salsa juice.

Remove the breast and thigh meat from your Costco ready-cooked roasted chicken. Shred the breast and thigh meat.

Add chicken carcass and salsa juice to crock pot. Cook for 8 hours.

Pour your salsa chicken stock over a chicken cheese. Serve with a side of chicken meat mixed with salsa pulp Salad.

The Beave
Feb 4, 2004

ladies...

Ranter posted:

Buy 1 Costco ready-cooked roasted chicken.

Remove the lid and let it cool in the fridge uncovered for 1 hour.

Pre-heat your crock pot to Low.

Strain a jar of salsa. Keep the salsa juice.

Remove the breast and thigh meat from your Costco ready-cooked roasted chicken. Shred the breast and thigh meat.

Add chicken carcass and salsa juice to crock pot. Cook for 8 hours.

Pour your salsa chicken stock over a chicken cheese. Serve with a side of chicken meat mixed with salsa pulp Salad.

Ah, here we go, I was getting worried about how long it would take for one of this subforums famous cunts to come in and be unfunny.

edit: I love soup, I don't care how hot it gets. I'll eat it all summer long and deal with it.

The Beave fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 19, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The Beave posted:

Ah, here we go, I was getting worried about how long it would take for one of this subforums famous cunts to come in and be unfunny.

edit: I love soup, I don't care how hot it gets. I'll eat it all summer long and deal with it.

gently caress you you st louis piece of poo poo for ruining this thread with your language

The Beave
Feb 4, 2004

ladies...

Mr. Wookums posted:

gently caress you you st louis piece of poo poo for ruining this thread with your language

You're welcome!

Come to St. Louis and I'll take you to some good food that is not being ruined by snobby cunts.

I've been informed that the great cuntening here is irreversible, so my choices are to ignore said cunts or leave.

Let's have a vote: should a cooking tard interested in getting better stay and learn or gtfo?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I'm famous, apparently!

strong bird
May 12, 2009

This thread is for talking about soup

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

strong bird posted:

What's the most expensive soup you've ever had, strong bird?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Does pho count as soup?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Beave posted:

the clock pretty much stopped as soon as you hit 'post'

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

Does pho count as soup?

Yeah

The Beave
Feb 4, 2004

ladies...

mindphlux posted:

the clock pretty much stopped as soon as you hit 'post'

See, I knew you'd show up sooner or later!

Keep up the funny, you're killing it here.

Maybe sperg some some about how no one is taking soup seriously enough?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Mindphlux is always welcome in the 'strong bird' series of food related megathreads. Hell, everyone is, except trolls.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Unrelated, but I just ate 2 cups of all purpose flower, 1/4 cup of olive oil, some salt and 3/4 cups water. I make Tortillas, and I ate them

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Rollofthedice posted:

What's the most expensive soup you've ever had, strong bird?

I tend to not get soups when I'm eating out. I had a very nice cock-a-leekie soup at an Irish Pub, In America, the other week.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

strong bird posted:

I made a soup last night. I put avocado slices on it. It was good.

Mr. Wookums posted:

P.S. Mr. Wookums, Y U mad at St. Louis? U no like our sportball team(s)? :(

psychokitty fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 20, 2016

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like broth with chunks of veggies and meat.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

psychokitty posted:

I made a soup last night. I put avocado slices on it. It was good.

P.S. Mr. Wookums, Y U mad at St. Louis? U no like our sportball team(s)? :(
I like the rams. oh... sorry

I had tomato soup, the best soup, today.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I made carrot and coriander soup this evening. It was delicious, but I burnt my mouth a little because I'm an idiot who can't recognise that things that have just come off the stove might be hot! :ohdear:

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

I made carrot and coriander soup this evening. It was delicious, but I burnt my mouth a little because I'm an idiot who can't recognise that things that have just come off the stove might be hot! :ohdear:

Ooh that sounds delicious. When you say coriander, do you mean the seeds or the leaves or both? Tell us more!

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Can we talk more about Pho? That poo poo is bomb diggity.

Here's my pho story:
One day my Vietnamese coworker invited me over for Pho. He said I could help make it, but that it takes a while. It turns out you have to cook that poo poo ALL drat DAY. And just for the broth! All the poo poo you put in there seems like an afterthought with how loving difficult it is to get the broth right.
Noodle soup bitches. Eat it every day and you'll live forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
had Pho in St Albans, Melbourne, Australia. Shits all over San Jose American Pho.

Proof:

Real thai chilies not fuckin' jalapenos
Pickled onions aka 'Hanh Dam'
Fresh soft rice noodle not dried poo poo
Kleenex tissue on table not napkins

• Locked thread