Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ryaomon posted:

The real biggest issue was that people managed to kind of understand that with such a broad wealth of IPs to draw from your personal favorites may not get in immediately, and they still managed to have a super underwhelming roster. Who the hell wanted Gizmo or Morty?

The first DLC season of the beta was two Gremlins, Rick, Morty (separate), and Black Adam

How are you already running out of ideas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

As someone not playing Multiversus, two Gremlins as dlc is great imo. Very funny and cool

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Honestly its telling on yourself more to not be excited for Gremlins. Way better than most of the poo poo they put in there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yes, but like two characters in the same season?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They should have put in Power Armor from the Fallout TV show

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also the second season was Marvin the Martian

and then

they shut the game down ended the beta

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rick and Morty: Boring choices. Risk-averse. Kind of a meme I guess. Suggests lack of creativity or personality from devs. Some WB board member suggested this for sure.

Two Gremlins: Extremely strange choice. Exciting and weird. Devs getting strange with it, having fun. Why two? That's just nuts.

I'm sure there was some niche Gremlins memes going around or something at the time of their release that would also make them also a boring choice, but not knowing poo poo it's very funny to me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Black Adam: Dwayne Johnson personally asked us to do this

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont think they had a genuine strategy for DLC characters other than what they thought people wanted and what had Synergy(tm) but in the most corporate exec who does not understand customer experience kind of way.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Waffleman_ posted:

Yes, but like two characters in the same season?

Cole and Evil Cole

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Cole and Evil Cole

Infamous and God of War were the only two series to get more than one entrant and they went with this.

Another roster that "makes sense" on paper but is garbage in practice especially thanks to the art style chosen.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

"okay so smash has too many 'dude with sword' how do we capitalize on that"
"have heaps of dude with gun"
"BRILLIANT"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

though iirc superbot wanted to have more variation but sony had the final say

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Saying Cole and Evil Cole are the same character is beyond ignorant. Learn the lore man

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

The people demand the iconic, memorable, and beloved character "Big Daddy" from Bioshock a game only associated with Playstation.

The roster is a mess of sensible and what the hell corporate why is our live service game dying we gave all the super heroes guns thinking. I also firmly believe one of the strengths of Smash is consistency of aesthetic and PABR couldn't clear that.

I vaguely remember it being hideously unbalanced but not in a fun way, just like "hey this move you're required to use on your character is a total dud while that other ones cheaper option is superior to you in every way"

LarsPorsenna
Feb 3, 2024
Given how popular Super Smash Bros is, and the crazy good numbers MvS put up initially, it's shocking to me there haven't been more attempts at clones. Like why do they keep trying to make Destiny II and Fortnite? Are there just way more devs with shooter experience?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Platform fighters are hard and also tough to get access to so much strong IP if you want the crossover factor.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It is way way easier to design a single player game with a loot treadmill than it is to design a fighting game that will land with enough of a mass audience to stick around.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Platform fighters are hard and also tough to get access to so much strong IP if you want the crossover factor.

And sometimes that IP is shackled to a publisher literally named Game Mill that's too cheap for Voice Acting

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
brawlhalla is apparently super popular even though i literally never see people play it or talk about it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dragon enthusiast posted:

brawlhalla is apparently super popular even though i literally never see people play it or talk about it

Yeah, the audience for Not-Smash is playing Brawlhalla.

Its also the only one of these that has a consistent aesthetic and one its imported characters from outside franchises have to comport to.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 13, 2024

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I doin't think Multiversus is failing is due to a missing core to the crossover or whatever. It had a huge playerbase that bled out over time because the monetization and the balance was bad and getting worse all the time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

big corpos absolutely don't care about jk rowling's transphobia lol
the vast majority of white bread american liberals don't know or care either
hoglegs game's success is evidence enough of that.
again though they have delusions of this being a major esport, and plenty of tourneys have blocked games due to stuff like that

you dont have to tell me they dont give a poo poo, i know, i literally said hogwarts legacy sold well

were you just jumping up and down with joy at the thought of getting to go 'well actually nobody cares about transphobia' that you stopped reading halfway through

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

the funniest thing to come out of playstation all stars is the devs emailing square enix to go 'can we put cloud in this,' getting told no, waiting a week, then emailing them again to go 'okay what about squall tho'

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I doin't think Multiversus is failing is due to a missing core to the crossover or whatever. It had a huge playerbase that bled out over time because the monetization and the balance was bad and getting worse all the time.

I think it being a messy game with bad monetization and balance is an outgrowth of wanting an esports live service title first, coherent and appealing game second.

But it is also just, flatly, not good

Endorph posted:

the funniest thing to come out of playstation all stars is the devs emailing square enix to go 'can we put cloud in this,' getting told no, waiting a week, then emailing them again to go 'okay what about squall tho'

To be fair, I wouldn't have waited a week.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Didn't PSABR have the Bad Dante in it? Like they got Dante but the wrong one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it had remake dante yeah

to be fair though his game had just come out so capcom wouldnt have let them use actual dante, that one isnt really their fault

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It also had everyone's favorite MGS character: pre-Revengeance Raiden

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

tbf it was revengeance raiden, the game just hadn't come out yet because he was there to promote it lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

It also had everyone's favorite MGS character: pre-Revengeance Raiden

To be fair, that was the closest they came to a third party character who was tied to playstation specifically since at least for a little while his, admittedly, prior game was exclusive to playstation, unlike all the others that launched multi-platform.

The weirdest gap on the roster to me is no Ico or Wander.

Edit: They had the guy(?) from Starhawk because it just came out the previous year but lol if anyone remembers that except my stupid rear end who rented it

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Cole being in SFxT is still the weirdest thing

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Potentially a trade off for getting Dante into Playstation Allstars but also, yes, lol.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I forgot that happened lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Barudak posted:

To be fair, that was the closest they came to a third party character who was tied to playstation specifically since at least for a little while his, admittedly, prior game was exclusive to playstation, unlike all the others that launched multi-platform.

The weirdest gap on the roster to me is no Ico or Wander.

Edit: They had the guy(?) from Starhawk because it just came out the previous year but lol if anyone remembers that except my stupid rear end who rented it

I remember Starhawk but mostly because Warhawk is the first game on my trophies list and then I go "oh yeah i never got to play starhawk"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Playing Killer Instinct and Blazblue on the go is kind of awesome, I really want sequels to both.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I remember Starhawk but mostly because Warhawk is the first game on my trophies list and then I go "oh yeah i never got to play starhawk"

It and MAG were two games I played because I didnt want to play nothing but CoD multiplayer games and both were very bad. MAG frankly is one of the more misleading titles Ive ever played.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Endorph posted:

Barudak posted:

To be fair, I wouldn't have waited a week.

Every week the devs email Square and go down a list of characters until Square gives in:

Cloud
Cloud
Tifa
Cloud
Sephiroth
Cloud in a dress
Squall

okay fine Tidus

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It was wild learning that Cloud was supposed to be the guest character in Soulcalibur 2 but the deal fell through which is why they put in Heihachi instead

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It was wild learning that Cloud was supposed to be the guest character in Soulcalibur 2 but the deal fell through which is why they put in Heihachi instead

Guess whose also in Playstation Allstars....

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/tabs_mvc/status/1779654922016842041?t=8WshRFbXUm2Op_hX3WWHAw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The weirdest thing about Playstation All Stars Battle Royale's roster is that it didn't have Crash Bandicoot and Spyro. A mistake Smash Bros has now also made.