Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

aoko in melty blood is like 40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Reiley posted:

God if they let a potential Garou 2 Blue Mary be a cool middle-aged woman she could stand to have one of the greatest fighting game designs of all time.

I dunno, Terry has a different look, but physically he looks the same as usual to me. I wouldn't expect Mary to be any different.

It'd be cool if she did, but at best I'd expect her to be like Chun in SF6

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh ive seen chinese ladies in their 50s who look about the same as chun in terms of visible aging

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Shinji2015 posted:

I dunno, Terry has a different look, but physically he looks the same as usual to me. I wouldn't expect Mary to be any different.

It'd be cool if she did, but at best I'd expect her to be like Chun in SF6

Put some bags under her eyes and give her a cool jacket. You don't have to do much.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Mary already has a cool jacket, she just takes it off when she's fighting in most/all games that she's in.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Terry is a Punching Protagonist, he never ages. He is a different case.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Punchosterone is an anti aging hormone

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Endorph posted:

aoko in melty blood is like 40

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh. She's in her 20s in the original Tsukhime and so she's probably that for every Melty Blood except Type Lumina where she still looks like a college student. (e: And that's assuming remake Tsukihime doesn't also move up her original birthday)

Anyways just because some women in real life don't "look" like they're in their 50s or 70s or whatever doesn't mean that it doesn't suck that dudes in video games get to look really old as gently caress but nearly every older woman doesn't.

like other than genkai in the old YYH fighting I'm drawing a blank. Matrimelee has a fight grandma I think?

TGLT fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 29, 2024

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Punchosterone is an anti aging hormone

Please stop prescribing it to my grandpa, hes become too strong.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TGLT posted:

Anyways just because some women in real life don't "look" like they're in their 50s or 70s or whatever doesn't mean that it doesn't suck that dudes in video games get to look really old as gently caress but nearly every older woman doesn't.
i mean a bunch of older dudes in games dont look that old either. like i agree more grandmas would be cool but at the same time its kind of weird when people act like the instant you turn 35 you start looking like the cast of the golden girls. like thats also kind of sexist imo, it kinda wigs me out. i think you can communicate the first thing without the second thing

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
but it's actually true, the moment you hit 35 you instantly turn grey and decrepit and you smell like a retirement home and your spine is pulverized to dust and you lose 1 ft 3 in off of billed height as well as all your hopes and dreams.

Yeah people can be indelicate and go overboard but I do think if a series is going to have its dudes visibly age then the ladies should also be permitted to visibly age just a bit. e: Like Chun-Li's theme is "Not A Little Girl" in SF6 but she's the only world warrior that doesn't really look like she got older. They somehow found a way to make Dhalsim look older even.

as for whether that should apply to garou or kof i dunno it's a poo poo franchise for perverts give me Valkenhayn's wife in the next blazblue that will definitely happen

TGLT fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 29, 2024

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Age is basically an aesthetic thing for fictional characters anyway, but people want to main fighting game characters with a specific aesthetic all the time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think much like with Terry any returning Fatal Fury ladies will look older but perhaps not as old as you'd expect considering the time skip.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Endorph posted:

i mean a bunch of older dudes in games dont look that old either. like i agree more grandmas would be cool but at the same time its kind of weird when people act like the instant you turn 35 you start looking like the cast of the golden girls. like thats also kind of sexist imo, it kinda wigs me out. i think you can communicate the first thing without the second thing

No, but you do look different than you did before. it's not that there shouldn't be characters that age well or who don't update their design a ton, but compared to men there's very few fighting game women that even look 30, let alone older. One of the great joys of life, imo, is getting old. I'm excited for it myself and it'd be nice to be able to play women in their 40s, or hell, yeah, even a cool grandma! there's tons of old men in fighting games but I can't think of any old women off the top of my head.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean chun-li in sf6 does look older than sf5 to me

sf5

sf6

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like she doesnt even look like, especially young in sf6 to me. like shes very good looking and is obviously meant to and is obviously, an Anime character, but she doesnt look 'like a college student' or w/e. thats why i feel so out of sorts in these convos people are like 'can you believe this character doesnt look old... how dare they not let women age' and then i look at the design and she looks like shes in her 40s. am i the weird one here im genuinely confused.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
personally i think she looks better older but her younger self is cute too. give me more old chun li

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I mean... all that it looks like that happened between SF5 and SF6 is her eyes got smaller and her eyebrows got fuller? Which feels more like an art style change than anything.

Some of it's art style but Ryu meanwhile has a fuller face with more distinct creases from like, furrowing his brow at the satsui no hadou or smiling over victory

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

TGLT posted:

I mean... all that it looks like that happened between SF5 and SF6 is her eyes got smaller and her eyebrows got fuller? Which feels more like an art style change than anything.

Some of it's art style but Ryu meanwhile has a fuller face with more distinct creases from like, furrowing his brow at the satsui no hadou or smiling over victory

she's clearly aged dude. just admit she's in her mid-40's and still looks great. hell, i'll say she's in her early 50's

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
age based shirt colors......

Definitely spending a lot of time critiquing the physical appearance of ladies feels weird but it is also something that could and should be explored in character design. For example, would anyone in their 30s still be a rushdown character or are they too old for that poo poo? Are your 40s the ideal age to develop a command grab? Are characters that randomly change stances hot flash coded?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hello, everyone. ive decided that i regret starting this conversation and would no longer like to be a participant in it. thank you for your time.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Vanessa is 30. Yay for Vanessa.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Waffleman_ posted:

Feels like this Evo's been one for the sickos

Four hours long tournament? Thank you baby armored Jesus

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

where is ex-a getting all the money to fund this poo poo, pretty much everybody I know seems to hate the platform

Honestly I'd be super depressed if NEXT is locked forever there, given how much I love CC, but it seems that the dev got enough comments on it to post this so maybe they'll figure something out at some point.

https://twitter.com/Mickey_FKD/status/1784567773722759407

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

That's clearly just a setup to gently caress with Andy.

A heavily balding Andy with a middle-aged paunch. Let's ravage Andy and Mai with time while gorilla Terry continues to look great.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Endorph posted:

hello, everyone. ive decided that i regret starting this conversation and would no longer like to be a participant in it. thank you for your time.

I'm sorry, I will drop it

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

need some 120 year old fight grandmas with ultimate qi power and secret kungfu techniques revealed for the first time in one hundred years

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

Why do you want to take away something women love (mais tits)

Also like...Mai fans know she's incredibly in love with Andy who's mostly trying his best to ignore her for Training. Her Finally Winning The Bogard Bowl would just be a win for the fans in general.

EDIT: You know this is what I get for leaving a tab open for so long, what is wrong with you people holy poo poo. Fight Game thread be normal about women's appearance please I beg you.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 29, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah idk what about mai makes dudes desperately want to prove theyre better than people theyve made up in their heads by dismantling her character but its really cringe and speaks to the view of women as props that exist to prove that theyre better than other men. imo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also the implication that making Mai into a mother would decrease her sexual appeal for the fans is laughable

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

speaking of aging up characters I still wish garou 2 had longer of a timeskip because terry rock marco hotaru and tizoc look pretty much the same as they did in the first game

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Need to see the official art Garou era Bogard family christmas With Mary and Terry and their son Rock and Andy and Mai and their entire sentai team of kids (including Hokutomaru) and Uncle Joe and Lilly Kane there.

Like all the old party/dinner art the use to do. Tizoc's dressed up as santa and Billy Kane's an elf with a green and red striped bandana.

panko posted:

speaking of aging up characters I still wish garou 2 had longer of a timeskip because terry rock marco hotaru and tizoc look pretty much the same as they did in the first game

Garou was already a time skip! We don't need one when there's more than enough immediate plot hooks still left from it left open.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 29, 2024

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

need some 120 year old fight grandmas with ultimate qi power and secret kungfu techniques revealed for the first time in one hundred years

I immediately thought of the Granblue Fantasy mobage. fighting a kungfu granny who does praying mantis style every time you unlock a new class

imagine having her in the Versus Rising roster

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Granny deserves to be in

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH1xEFUSSbE

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hoping Younger Slayer has mechanics, would settle for it being a costume, resigned to it being a victory pose

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The return of Kliff????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://x.com/ArcSystemWorksU/status/1784819101829091733