Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Looks like poo poo, somehow worse looking than umvc3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

since hulk is outright exactly the same, it might just be me but he definitely seems to be moving faster and has faster normals, which is good

none of these characters intrigue me at all except ultron who looks pretty fun but id hate looking at his dumb chrome body all day

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It looks like a cell phone game

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

^jinx

Game is 5 months out. I'd hope they're gonna touch up/polish the visuals because drat, it kinda does have that mobile game aesthetic going on.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The oversized UI stuff are what makes it look cell phonish to me, like it was designed to show information on a super tiny screen or something

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Thoughts based on that 4:30 of gameplay:

- Normals and movement both actually look faster than mvc3 which surprised me. It's really noticeable on Hulk because 95% of his moveset is the same but faster, with his aerial combo being like 50% faster and his forward hopdash being slightly faster.

- Chris has some kind of ammo mechanic but I'm not sure I saw it actually come into play anywhere in there.

- There were both conventional Marvel assists and also SFxT style "do a special and then tag while the special still goes on" sorta things in there.

- I don't hate the plastic action figure look in motion as much as I did in stills but it's still not as visually impressive as one would hope.

- Ultron and Chun did some neat stuff in there. Visually appealing aerial wall bounce ground bounce bashy stuff.

- Infinity Stone putting them in a box for that long seems like it has potential.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Showed the video to my friend and we both said it looked like a mobile game. Then I came in here and everyone thinks so as well. Goddamn capcom

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Showed the video to my friend and we both said it looked like a mobile game. Then I came in here and everyone thinks so as well. Goddamn capcom

the UI is pretty bad

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Visually, it needs a lot fuckton of work imo. The gameplay doesn't look too bad though to be honest. But mobile game visual aesthetic aside, Chun's design needs a complete do-over. Good lord.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Thor looks the same as he was in MVC3 which is hilarious as gently caress to me. Good job capcom on bringing back this lovely character no one liked.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Maybe with a gem he'll be playable :v:

I'm not super hyped for the game after watching that but I feel less jaded on it than I was yesterday. Hopefully between here and September they'll make it fully worth buying into.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Do assists work differently now, it seems they come in during a combo but I can't really tell if you can switch between characters.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

MinibarMatchman posted:

Do assists work differently now, it seems they come in during a combo but I can't really tell if you can switch between characters.

Like I mentioned in my other post, I saw both regular assists (Ultron calls Chris who I think whiffs some kinda rush punch thing) and a vaguely SFxT sorta thing where Ultron starts his weird head dive thing, tags in Strider who does some kinda DP slashy special move, then control appears to switch over to Strider when Ultron finishes his thing.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Kind of surprised how much it looks like mvc3. Also it looks like assists are still in but there's an animation to call them like mvc1?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
looks bad and fast so the only way its good is if by total accident

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im excited to watch it after work, but as long as its super fast it will probably be an ok fun time provided the load times are not garbo

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

The game play doesn't look that bad, still looks like rear end graphics wise though

couple things i noticed:
- Time stone has a command dash. Lead to some Thor full screen command grabs
- There is a burst system called counter switch that took 2 bars and switch characters. Looked like the incoming character could punish the attacker for landing a combo which isn't good....

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

lamentable dustman posted:

The game play doesn't look that bad, still looks like rear end graphics wise though

couple things i noticed:
- Time stone has a command dash. Lead to some Thor full screen command grabs
- There is a burst system called counter switch that took 2 bars and switch characters. Looked like the incoming character could punish the attacker for landing a combo which isn't good....

if anyone's curious this is largest contributing factor to tvc being a trash game

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

anime was right posted:

if anyone's curious this is largest contributing factor to tvc being a trash game

is it because it costs 2 bars?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

The question will be if the Counter Switch is baitable/punishable and if it will lead into happy birthdays in that case. The one example I saw in the video seemed really awkward in that the Counter Switch was on an aerial combo but Chris came running in on the ground doing his own thing until he I guess finished his special move, at which point he superjumped up to attack Ultron. Ultron probably could have stopped comboing the first character and gone down after Chris before Chris even recovered from the first move but hopefully we'll know more for sure soon.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Well, the music sounds like trash. As I expected.

Halfway through the video I heard a rendition of Chun-Li's theme and it sounds loving terrible, same techno leitmotif that was used in MVC3.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

MinibarMatchman posted:

It's more because the burst was safe from what I recall and convertible into a full combo when used.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lamentable dustman posted:

Ewwww

MinibarMatchman posted:

It's just a huge problem for pacing - burst is essentially guaranteed to work (it can be baited with baroque cancel but usually only in very specific situations), it is a HUGE reward for 2 meters considering it saves you 50%+ of your hp AND it puts you in a strong position with the opponent knocked down, plus in the corner you can combo off it and build back up a lot of those 2 meters you lost.

Plus TvC is a fairly low-damage game and meter builds quickly so you see like 5 bursts per round.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

MinibarMatchman posted:

its because it comboed in the corner so whoever was winning kept winning as soon as they mistake while the person who was losing who bursted got nothing off it. instead of being a comeback/mitigation mechanic it ended up being a snowball mechanic that led into long boring combos. also the person who was winning typically had more meter by landing the first combo so often times the losing player didnt even have burst by the time the winning player did lol

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

brian posted:

Wait are you Spuck the dude I played in Guilty Gear and was in my pool last year? Ello m8

Oh, are you partybrian?

Hello chap!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

anime was right posted:

Xrd has a burst system and is a Good Game though.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Yeah but you don't spend tension to burst in GG. It looks like MvCI might handle bursts like TvC, which would be very very bad

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Spuckuk posted:

ahfb loves GG, the problem is just TvC's dumb burst implementation.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Re: gameplay video, after I stopped laughing at the 90% recycled animations, it doesn't look terrible. Honestly the fact that I can be Strider with proper 1-meter Ouroboros again might help seal it for me.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Spuckuk posted:

it doesn't sound like the kind of mechanic that people are saying about this game/TvC which I've never played. GG doesn't seem to build combos as fast as what this thing is

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Spuckuk posted:

the only effective super meter -> burst system i've seen is mk's, which breaks the combo and doesn't allow for further combos and actually involves some nuanced decisions other than burst as soon as you get hit while you're winning. the winning person can also choose to keep winning but in a less effective but guaranteed manner.

it aint perfect but its solid tbh

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
ggs burst system is inherently tied to losing and is supposed to give all characters at least two opportunities to be in neutral per round and give everyone breathing room for one mistake. its done for pacing reasons in an offense heavy bullshit oriented game.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Brosnan posted:

ahfb loves GG, the problem is just TvC's dumb burst implementation.

Ah, gotchas, haven't played TvC, so I'm not really aware how busted its systems are.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Spuckuk posted:

Ah, gotchas, haven't played TvC, so I'm not really aware how busted its systems are.

As long as you cant burst and immediately get back all that meter it will be better than tvc

Bursting should be strategic with a lot of risk for loving up

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Lol marvel twitter is going crazy for the trailer, they're all going to be bitching once the game drops as well.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I thought it looked good TBH. In the way marvel 3 looks good. Meaning it'll probably be bad-but-fun. Worried about the counter switch mechanic though.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

It looks like counter switch just brings in your other character during the combo. You still have to try to interrupt the combo or the attacker can choose to stop it. Basically like when you're hitting an assist in MvC3. I guess it could suck if you can counter switch during a super or long special and get a guaranteed punish though.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

calling it now, the best chars are just gonna normal jump combo you into guaranteed reset/burst punish situations in a skullgirls-like manner
the insane hitstun on everything more or less guarantees that poo poo, i think
anyways the screen spacing and dash speeds more or less confirm that there's no real movement in the game so that's a bummer

also note that there's rounds and that there's no real superjump screen

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

rewriting history