Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MHBq5Ft-Bo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

John Murdoch posted:

So just to be clear, the principle difference between a TES+ and a TE2+ (besides form factor) is that the latter is more modding friendly? That's basically it?

TE2+ has a removable cord too if that matters to you

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Can this thread just be "Post the FGC-est video you got" forever instead of going back to arguing about Smash Bros or whatever?

Content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0HcuDZ98wc

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

See my baby girl I'mma have to neglect her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9qgMCwRKRE

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Here's a deep cut. Count the uppercuts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C0F_aVAnFU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why the gently caress are there no videos on this page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5XBEIou1to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bww09nVyogs

KBrad's top 5 overrated players (starts at 4 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97EAnXcSWLw&t=242s

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 17, 2016

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Requesting the video where balrog holds turn punch for like 30 seconds and it goes "SEVEN"

Take this as collateral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWT0Qn2cCwQ

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A.o.D. posted:

That's in the homo genius series.

So it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjcz1KUXGZM

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Originally they were called SEs (standard editions) and were SF4 branded. Those were also pretty hard to find and got discontinued after a year or two. The brawlstick came out a few years later, same stick but with different art.

Pic of an SE:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
VMUs are such a lovely idea it sounds like something Nintendo would do nowadays.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
How is Capcom more responsible for the visuals in HDR (a game that was developed in America btw) than in SF2?

I'm sure none of the people who worked on SF2's art still work for Capcom, but none of the ones who worked on HDR's art do either.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Golden Battler posted:

Something I've been wondering about for a while is, what is the purpose of the Guts system in games that have it (or something similar)? I mean, I get what it basically does, in a general sense, I just don't really understand why a develop decided to implement it, and why the system still sees use. I don't dislike it or anything, I just don't really get it, I guess.

To make games seem closer

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

It's not a good thing,
it's not a bad thing.

It's just a thing.

Only good post on this page.

Or this thread.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pomp posted:

has there ever been a good 2d fg with bad throws

Marvel 2

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

They can't even get a console release out, and you're expecting PC anytime this decade?

I'm pretty sure PC is gonna be simultaneous release

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sarchasm posted:

Do you have a source for that or are you just playing your gut?

No source but they have teased it a decent amount.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

anothergod posted:

Is anyone here going to check out Combo Breaker next weekend? This is the first time I'm going to a big video game tournament, and I'm kinda excited and unsure of what to expect. I'm not competing, but we applied to show our game at their indie cade, so I'll be there aaalll weekend. Any tips/tricks/etc to have fun and/or just be **cool** would be appreciated.

I'm going with a few friends, only entered SF5 and Mystery Game, I'm mostly going to be dicking around playing casuals all weekend.

My advice is play as many games and meet as many people as possible. As bad as they can seem online, FGC people are generally cool IRL.

What's your game? I'll make sure to check it out.

E: oops read the above post that says what your game is.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I played Crystal Control II at combo breaker and it is definitely FGOTY (fighting game of the year) if any other goons are here you should go play it in the indie game area, and also check them out on greenlight. It's basically a 2 player vs shmup.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=626581378

E: no offense intended to anothergod whose game i also played and enjoyed, but CC2 is the truth.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's a pretty different kind of game. There's no enemies/mobs/whatever you wanna call it, and the 2 players are on opposite sides of the screen shooting at each other

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Here why don't you see for yourself

https://youtu.be/yheodCDvt3I

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

FChamp recently ranted on stream how online players aren't poo poo because online SFV doesn't mirror offline play. He was saying this because he kept getting bodied online by top online players.

He kind of has a point. Arturo is (was?) #1 online player and he played online all goddamn day, but he has been getting blown up in tournaments.

Infiltration plays training by himself all day and bodies everyone in tournament.

E: Primarily I think the problem is that if you play that much online, eventually you will body 99% of players you run into and will never be forced to elevate yourself. This isn't SF4 where you can grind out setplay and top 8 tournaments off it C. Viper style.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

Eh, Art is old and a veritable choker, also considering him an online player is a bit disingenious even if he's playing online a LOT now.

He's definitely not an online only player, my point is that being ranked #1 online has turned out to not mean much when it comes to winning tourneys, and it may even be holding him back.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Electromax posted:

MKX is the Slipknot to SF5's Kanye, XRD's Pearl Jam and anime poverty fighters' J-pop credits song bullshit.

I agree, SF5 is good.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

NecroMonster posted:

rip capcom

people will miss what they remember you being rather than what you actually were. which is bad, you were bad. bye. rip.

replace capcom with SF4 and this works perfectly

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bhsman posted:

I don't think anyone would argue against ST being the best one, and from there it comes down to personal experience/preference.

Let me tell you about Hyper Fighting

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Real hurthling! posted:

imagine 4000 evo participants syncing and desyncing ds4s to get that sweet advantage

I believe the legacy controller feature is banned at Evo for exactly this reason.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dragon enthusiast posted:

Here is when you should ban a character/stage/mechanic: when people stop playing the game because of it

If this was the case Zero would have been banned long ago

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

inthesto posted:

I've never been to a barcade but I assume those machines need parts replaced every single day because there's no way drunk idiots don't smash the cabinets as hard as possible

Nah mostly they just let them stay broken

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Maluco Marinero posted:

Since it's come up, for a fighting game babby who's just getting into KI and wants to try playing with a stick (never been a fan of thumbsticks or shoulder buttons for reflexive actions), what's a decent model / who's good to order from? Mad Catz, Qanba? Any to specifically avoid, and what's the difference in the price points they have?

Mad Catz, Qanba, and Hori are all good. Get a model that comes with Sanwa parts (most sticks over $100 do). The only other differences in the price ranges are the form factor (some sticks are huge which people like because they're more stable on your lap) and if they're multiconsole or not.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Tokido is really cool. You guys should read this interview.

https://jiyunajp.wordpress.com/2016/06/18/617-tokido-interview/

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

How durable are the sticks in fightsticks? I'm trying to pull off full circle moves but am worried that I may be too rough with my stick (Madcatz TE2+).

Those parts were made to survive abuse in arcades, I wouldn't worry about it.

However if you feel like you're being too rough on the stick it probably means you're doing the motions in a really sloppy way which will make you input moves a lot slower than you need to. When you do a full circle make sure you're barely touching the gate.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MinibarMatchman posted:

same, the melee matches last year were gently caress awful and I find competitive melee bad in general. do we really need two loving smash bros games? only one was wario so why do we need the other

I agree that smash sucks to watch, but it gets a shitload of entrants and a shitload of viewers. At some point you gotta give the people what they want.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dangerdoom volvo posted:

p much every game at evo has some crossover appeal for people who dont play them. except smash which is like paint drying and having your nails pulled out and testicular torsion

Turns out smash players don't like other games either (this is from CEO Revelator t8)

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Brosnan posted:

At the last Evo I went to the crowd picked who to cheer for in Melee based on which one would cause the game to be over sooner, which turned out to be way more emotionally involving than any other reason to support a player would be.

I am so, so glad I sprung for the floor seats this year because it means I can leave during lovely games and not have to worry about losing my spot.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
For a game to be in majors it must have

a. high entrants/viewer counts
b. publisher money hat
or
c. both

I'd love to see old games at Evo again but it just aint happening unless we have some kind of FGC apocalypse scenario where all the new games/players die off.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yes there is BYOC why wouldn't there be?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fayk posted:

I dunno if other oldgames fans would agree, but I'd even settle for poo poo like just get some official sanctionining/space for 'big enough' side tourneys (ST, vsav, etc) because the BYOC is a bit limited/inconsistent (disclosure: haven't been to evo in a year or two) and then some minimal late-night stream of the top 8/4 or something.

Didn't this happen with ST 2 years ago? When Mao won the tournament?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Brosnan posted:

I'm triggered that the order of that spreadsheet isn't 2015 -> 2016 -> % change

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fayk posted:

The KI numbers are interesting - seeing a game actually grow in popularity like that, rather than slowly die off. (The SF number is relevant for different reasons since it's 4->5).

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with KI coming out on PC this year.

C. Everett Koop posted:

I bet that no more than half the number of people who registered for sfv show up, and next year sfv will be below four digits.

I will bet any amount of money that sf5 will be in 4 digit entrants next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Saoshyant posted:

I don't think Melee is esports. For one thing, no one would sponsor a smelly Melee player. It would look bad on the product.

I still have no idea why Melee is even on EVO. Can't be Nintendo paying for it since exposure to that game doesn't bring further sales for the newer game they are actually selling. In fact, Nintendo doesn't sell Gamecubes, Melee discs, or CRT TVs either, so how would they profit from it? Like, Mr Wizard likes money, and Nintendo wants people to buy Pokken and Smash 4. How did Melee get into this equation?

because_melee_gets_a_shitload_of_entrants_and_viewers