Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I decided to give Skullgirls a go tonight and I've had a lot of fun going through the tutorials. They're so well done!

What's the recommended team size for beginners? I've never played a team-based game before so learning 3 chars at once is overwhelming, but if I'm willing to try if it's the best way to learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Thanks for all the responses about learning Skullgirls. I'm still going through each character's introductions in the tutorial room, but so far I'm most interested in Filia and Cerebella. I haven't tried Fukua yet but if I like her I might replace Filia (Cerebella owns too hard to replace). I think I'll opt for a 2 person team since the assists and such seem to be such a core part of this game.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

attackmole posted:

I was just at my buddies house playing some Xrd. He was explaining to me that he met his boyfriend by talking about BlazBlue, going to his house and immediately bodying the gently caress out of him before quickly learning that the dude was into it for the anime and plot. And now they're a couple, so uh, love conquers all I guess.

That's a legit :3: story

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Below like 150ms (total) you don't really notice response time, and very quickly adjust to it and it doesn't "feel" like it's delayed. Above that it becomes noticeably distracting. Unless you have something to compare it to directly, you won't really notice it below that.

You should get a monitor with the least amount of lag possible because everything else has input lag you can't control. The easiest (and most of the time, only) places to minimize input lag is your controller and display.

If the input delay for SFV is 8 frames, then at 60fps there is around 130ms of input delay, which is less than 150 with a good monitor. This does seem to indicate that the lag may not be immediately noticeable, but since it's right at the edge it can mess with reaction times. Does that sound right, or is there another source of delay I'm missing?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

really want to get Xrd for PC since I play way better with an xbox pc controller for fighting games than the DS4, when Revelator comes out would it be discounted for PC? presuming it comes out this year for PC at all.

also how easy would it be to mod the soundtrack, because I like Xrd but man I wish I could shove in all the old poo poo like Suck a Sage or Haven't You Got Eyes In Your Head

No official plans for a PC port of revelator yet.

On PC you could just lower the BGM volume and play your own music in the background? Unless you really want music to change with stage/menu/etc

e: buy SIGN and fight me pls

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

attackmole posted:

Wanna get some sets in this afternoon or tonight? I saw you were playing last night and thought about getting in but was feeling lazy. (currently C R I S P Y B A B Y on steam)

Hell yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad you said something because I think I was confusing your steam ID for some rear end in a top hat I played from Reddit once

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Speaking of GG, wich one is a good entry for a complete newbie at these games? GG X2 #Reload is on sale on steam for 3€ and Xrd has the best reviews (I don't usually trust this but seems that players wanted this one badly on steam).

Fight me in xrd let's GOOOO

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Jiro posted:

I live in McAllen, TX and I love KOF and am not looking forward to another instalment of CG Kof. And I'm looking forward to play at EVO and get my rear end kicked.

Sup fellow RGV goon :respek:

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Which version of Samurai Showdown is "the one to play" on fightcade?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I played a bit of SamSho yesterday and it's really really interesting. I like how dangerous attacks are - it doesn't feel like any other FG I've played. Are there any tutorials/primers out there about the game's fundamentals?

e: even just a description of the game's mechanics would be helpful!

giogadi fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 6, 2016

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I played some TTT2 today at a local and it was really fun! It's my first experience with the Tekken series (besides playing the poo poo out of Tekken 3 when I was 8 years old, which doesn't count). It feels so different from 2D fighters, but after a few rounds the pace feels really nice. I like the feel of dashing in and out, jabbing, and side stepping. It feels more like a kickboxing match. I'm really looking forward to the PC release of T7 now.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

uncleKitchener posted:

For anyone wanting to play DOA5LR on PC without :filez:, the F2P version will be available soon on steam, hopefully with lobbies soon afterwards.

It's already available, I was fooling around in training mode tonight, making sure I had my Boob Physics calibrated correctly.

I've never played a DOA game before - where does it fit into 3D fighters relative to Virtua Fighter and Tekken? I played whoooooole lot of VF4 on PS2 back in the day.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

steam is getting native ds4 support so finally against capcoms apparent wishes, sfv branded sticks will work with sfv.

Is that how it works? Even though the sticks are ps4 controllers, I'm not sure they are seen as DS4's. Like, when I run DS4Windows, it doesn't see my stick at all as a DS4.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I think I heard that skull girls (?) had an accessibility mode for blind players, which I thought was super rad

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I done handcuffed lightning!

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Same, but it's much less of an issue because the PC version can have a lot less input lag than the PS4 version.

Ah this makes me wonder - how many frames of input delay in the PC version need to be added to match the PS4? IIRC all the Japanese players would add one frame on PS4 rev to match their arcade setup - I wonder if on PC you have to add any frames just to match the PS4 version.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

nah its fixed, no rotation

I think they were referring to the diagonal input sensitivity, which is a separate knob from the d-pad rotation (if I understand correctly?)

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Why do so many (if not all?) fighting games have the Guts mechanic? What is gained from that system versus just giving characters more health? Furthermore, why would Xrd vary the guts scaling for different characters?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I remember when I first started with xrd I was similarly confused. It just took me some getting used to because I was so used to SFV where a character's normals came directly from rigidly animating the character's skeleton (k ignore dhalsim).

Yorkshire, it takes a little getting used to but you start to find other signals for recognizing attacks (their range, speed, recovery, etc) where now I can look at a character I've never played and guess at what inputs do which attacks. It's like a different language from SF but it has its own logic too, just takes a little time!

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Another thing that's different about guilty gear is the offensive advantage. As a new player it def feels discouraging to get your teeth knocked out in what looked like one combo, but pressure is survivable and counterable, and it makes it all the sweeter when you come back and wreck someone. It just takes some recalibration for gg's philosophy.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Has a release date been set for Tekken 7 already? I thought it hadn't, but the amazon store page lists it as coming on 3/31:

http://a.co/f7fEpS0

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Are IADs trickier on hitbox? In my head it seems like it should be simpler than on a stick but my buddy who also uses a hitbox also complains about the timing, so there must be something to it.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Regarding directional vs PP dashing, I just read that in skullgirls there are some situations when directional dashing is advantageous because there is a more generous input buffer for directional dashing vs button dashing. Interesting!

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Pomp posted:

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEET

Air ball set legit cracks me up every time I hear it

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I found this xrd match vid super interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPXJKR4-x4Q

It's a Nage (faust) vs kaz (sol), and each moment of the match is annotated by Nage to highlight what he was thinking, what his options were, etc. I've never seen this done before, and I found it really educational. Are there other vids like this (even if for other games)?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

My favorite is "American reset" when people drop combos

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Zand posted:

entire gatekeeper characters in 3d games are so annoying since every character already has gatekeeper strings in them

What does gatekeeper mean here? I feel like you're saying something interesting here and I want to understand!

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Oh hey I only just realized that UMVC3 dropped on PC already. Anyone playing this? How's the netcode?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

But no deets yet about PC release date :(

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Did they make Slayer good yet? I really want to like Xrd but playing my character in it makes me depressed.

Is slayer that much weaker than in previous games, so much so that he feels like a different character? Because even if he's bottom tier in xrd a good slayer still makes me want to quit playing fighting games

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I think these are all valid points about tier lists, except the viewpoint where tiers are an excuse to not play a good game

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I will be playing xiaoyu because she was my main when I last played tekken seriously - back in Tekken 3 when I was 11 years old. There's a tekken 5 (or 6?) cabinet near me that I've been playing a bit and surprisingly I still remember a lot of her moveset. Back then however, playing fgs for me was about playing arcade mode over and over and trying to do the 10 hit combos, so I'm looking forward to coming back to tekken with a more competitive mindset.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I like to think that, for tier lists to be more applicable for low level players, there needs to be a second axis to the tier list. Lists are usually a sample from the high end of the skill spectrum, but as you move the "player skill" slider down, the tier list often changes because either (a) players can't yet make use of the tech that makes a char strong at high levels, or (b) players aren't skilled enough to deal with some chars' moves, which may have solid answers at higher levels.

I like to think that "gate keepers" are just high-tier chars at the low end of the skill spectrum.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Here's a pretty useful primer that talks about fuzzy options:

http://guiltygearsweden.com/strategy/machaboo-on-fundamentals-for-those-that-want-to-become-good-at-gg/

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Everyone that posted their mains is now required to make that post their forum signature

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

HMS Beagle posted:

Also who is the witch in Mortal Kombat? I think we may need to clarify our terms here.

Sindel

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

In Puyo Puyo, are there any rules/patterns to the colors you receive? For instance, I just learned that Tetris cycles through every piece before repeats - is there any rule like that for puyo?

On that note, is there a mechanics guide for PPT that explains this kind of stuff?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

MechaX posted:

I secretly want Boon to announce Scorpion in BlazBlue Cross Tag, with this theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBrwIMYV3-A&t=21s

Baron Snow posted:

Thanks for posting that, if only to remind me that "Sub-Zero (Chinese Ninja Warrior)" actually existed and wasn't just a fever dream I had in 1994.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVIpnoptwSQ

Omfg thank you for reminding me that this existed. This song actually still kinda owns??????

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Does the Mario tennis demo have local multiplayer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Ultramega posted:

lol is this from beyond the black rainbow?

It’s 2001