Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU1fj4NyKsY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

giogadi posted:

I decided to give Skullgirls a go tonight and I've had a lot of fun going through the tutorials. They're so well done!

What's the recommended team size for beginners? I've never played a team-based game before so learning 3 chars at once is overwhelming, but if I'm willing to try if it's the best way to learn.

Start with one character first. After you are very familiar with the ins and outs of them, then worry about adding another character.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What the hell am I watching?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I find stick's to be better with pads as having your fingers hover over a button to press it is faster than using a thumb and shoulder buttons. Though the split micro-second delay in response won't be too hindering if at all. Fighting games aren't like Star Craft where they require godlike reaction time and KPM.

I would at least recommend trying out a stick for a month or so to see how well it fits you.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Monk E posted:

To be fair the same could be said for pretty much every fighting game.

A.o.D. posted:

This isn't right. KI's neutral is in fact a regular neutral game. KI has footsies. KI has zoning. KI has mixups. KI has all of those things in the sense that a normal fighting game has all of things. KI's difference is that the defender is still fully engaged in playing the game while getting combo'd.

Not to mention I wouldn't really call the combobreaker (if that is what he was referring to) "rock, paper, scissors" . You can read and react to the combos on time if you're good enough IIRC.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Rent-a-Bot posted:

Which is better for picking up games of kof 98, fightcade or steam?

Fightcade (select King of Fighters '98) according to the stats.

Though Steam has Ultimate Match & the original while Fightcade only has original '98.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

samco posted:

Could you elaborate at all? I'm interested in giving fighting games a try and was looking into this stick as it seemed like a relatively okay stick with upgrade potential should I find myself getting more serious.

Is this not the case? What would you recommend doing instead?

If you don't want to shell out $150 for a Hori Arcade you could buy a used Madcatz Fightstick Pro instead for $125 total instead. It's what I use and it works great. Its only downfall is not being future proof as it needs specific drivers to work on the PS4 which every game doesn't support, at least right away. Even on the PC this rings true as Street Fighter V didn't support it initially, though you can always just use something like Joy2Key.

Being honest unless you go on Ebay and find a gem a of a deal, you are going to be paying at least $150 for a stick. If you are in the market to spend around $100 then you're out of luck. I do know Madcatz had a $100 deal for their sticks a year or two ago (it's how I got mine) but I doubt they'll do that again this year being that the company is hurting. The good thing about buying a quality stick is that they have great resell value, which subsidizes when you buy a new stick

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 20, 2016

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is there a modern successor to the Melty Blood games or at least a sister series of it? I always assumed that UNIEL was that game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Dias posted:

UNIEL was made by the same guys that did Melty Blood. I actually never played it, but I know it both has a lot of similar mechanics but also plays completely different. I guess you could say they're sister games, like Blazblue and Guilty Gear.

That's what I figured.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Did they ever mention how many sales the console versions had? Because the 60k+ PC sales sounded like a pretty solid chunk of the total sales of the game last I heard. But I dunno if there's any actual hard numbers floating around.

All we have is first week Japanese sales of 48,000 and Steamspy estimates of 63,000.

All we can say for certain is that the game sold 110,000+. Either way I doubt that 63,000 is insignificant, even if it was sold only at $30.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

attackmole posted:

"based on _____ visual novel"

"features largely female characters"

Too anime for me I think.

Why are there so many visuals novels that turn into fighting games? The two genres couldn't be more different and you would think that would echo with the player base of the genres.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I want a Phoenix Wright fighting game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Melty Blood is loving awesome. So much fun. Been playing the Steam release.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Dias posted:

3S kinda has a big community that stayed in 3S because that game is the most distinct SF outside of EX series. It's also really pretty, has a lot of flashy bullshit and the music is good.

It's pretty much the only Street Fighter game I like besides Super Turbo. Every other Street Fighter game is just so...boring to me. Though looking at V, since I've only played like fifteen minutes of it, it seems like it could develop into something I might reasonably enjoy.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Booyah- posted:

want to play me in super turbo on fightcade?

e: http://steamcommunity.com/id/booyah-

Not right now, but I've added you to play later.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

King of Fighters XIV releasing: 8.25.2016

EDIT - :japan: release.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 25, 2016

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Baal posted:

KOFXIV doesn't look amazing, but at least the faces look like they aren't meth riddled or made of clay

KOFXIV is a game with 50 different fighters made by, at best, a moderately sized company. The reason they left high-end sprites is because they couldn't afford to do it. Switching from high-end 2D to high-end 3D would bring the company nearly back to where they were. Each character is made on the cheap so the game doesn't cost an arm and a leg to make and the characters can be completed relatively quickly. They can't afford the time and money to do Xrd or SFV quality models.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Now I can see what people were saying when they were bitching that the original Blazblue characters looked like Guilty Gear characters way back in the day.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Not saying the 3D models aren't underwhelming compared to their 2D sprites, but those sprites are so god drat expensive to make that going 3D was the only way that SNK wasn't going to shoot themselves in the foot with a new KoF installment

SNK could have still gone 2D. The problem was that they wanted to go with dot to dot accurate pixel shading. There is literally no other 2D type of graphics to do that is more difficult than what they were doing. Their sprites took twice as long to do than Blazblue despite being less than half the resolution.

attackmole posted:

Nah KOF characters look pretty bad. It's a pretty generic art style mixed with PS2 graphics. But w/e maybe that just means if it gets ported to PC in two years it'll run on my garbage laptop. The 3D models are pretty much strictly worse than their old sprites, but that's what it takes to get a new game made with lots of characters, I guess.

The game will likely get a PC port soon. SNK commented that one of the reasons for their comeback was due to strong PC sales of their titles, specifically KOF.

Simulacra posted:

Feel free to add me as well if you're up for some ST or 3s.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Simulacrum156/

Added.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 25, 2016

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I want SNK to do NeoGeo Battle Colosseum 2.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

it was called svc: chaos and it was loving terrible

I always LOVED that game's artstyle.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

it was a good looking game, but the thing is, looking good doesn't have jack or poo poo or gently caress or all to do with a fighting game being good or not

I agree. I just think its sad that such a quality art style was wasted on a game that wasn't that good. Well at least according to most. It seems that the game has some supporters.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Chev posted:

Well, Revelator's the first case of japanese devs correctly implementing lab zero's ps3 stick driver so it's a good start.

Arc System Works tends to be the exception with these things. I recall that Blazblue was the first Japanese fighting games was actual competent online. This also resulted in it being one of the first fighting games where a good share of its competitive scene was in online lobbies.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'm having a ROM related problem with fightcade. Can I talk about it here?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

Did you put sfiii3.zip in your ROM folder?

Yes.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Fixed the problem. It was a bad transfer. I re-ripped it and things are working fine.

Played a few matches. Man, Third Strike is great. I remember why I loved this game so much.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Played some Vampire Savior. Good game. I can see why it has such a cult following. Unique characters, fantastic animation, and doesn't seem to play like anything else out there.

Also tried my hand at Super Turbo. I can see why people recommend it as someone's first fighting game. It is very punishing and forces you to learn the bare fundamentals.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

interrodactyl posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/dnastyx

please add me to play super turbo or other cool games on fightcade or just find me on #goonsgarden

i like
magical drop 3
alpha 2
neo turf masters
vampier savier the lord of vampier

mostly i play st poorly and i will play some hyper fighting once the new fightcade comes out

Added. Up for some Super Turbo and Vampire Savior.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What do you guys think of the post '09 fighting games?

Do you feel that they hold up to those from the classic age of the '90s and early 2000s?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The West has really been nailing it with these indie 2D fighting games.

Though I'll take a wait and see approach with this one.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Gonna assume it's this one since it's the first result on youtube and looks the part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I88DC7PWfgk

That moment at the end is like a hilarious knockoff of the Daigo parry.

If this was a legitimate game I assume it would be an "everyone is so broken that it works" kind of game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Apparently the game's characters have been done for quite some time.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

anime was right posted:

also lol if capcom gives a poo poo about marvel after previous sales.

The game sold very well.

Zand posted:

when can we purchase and download marvel 2 again.
+1

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Marvel vs Lab Zero

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Marvel vs Capcom 3 is bad to my eyes because most of the time a character dies due to the other simply touching them.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Night Blade posted:

Does Capcom even actually make fighting games anymore? I'm not knowledgeable on the subject, DIMPS, and now Eighting? Who the gently caress is Eighting? When was the last time Capcom actually made a fighting game 100%?

Dimps was founded by Street Fighter co-creators so it often gets a pass for working on Street Fighter. Sort of like if Capcom announced if Viewtiful Joe 3 was in development and Platinum Games will be aiding them in the process. Also Capcom technically makes fighting games since all of their newest fighting games, save TvC, were co-developed by Capcom.

This could be why their fighting game output '09 and beyond has been lacking. Historically speaking games tend to be the best when they are done from inhouse rather than partially (or fully) outsourced. Capcom's actually a poster child for this.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They said SF5 was more Capcom than Dimps this time around but both companies have lost key personnel to SNK recently, including a guy called Hidetoshi Ishizawa who was a lead on most of the big fighting games they've released since the Alpha days (SF4 excepted).

Eighting (or Raizing) is the company that made Bloody Roar back in the day, as well as the early Naruto fighting games and the peoples' favourite Castlevania Judgement. Their real specialty was bullet hell arcade games like Battle Garegga.

No big studio makes anything 100% in-house anymore, it's too expensive and takes too long.

This isn't totally true. Even Capcom develops games in house. Though its only for their huge massive titles like Resident Evil. It isn't necessarily that much more expensive to create something in house, it's just that big publishers have a difficult time keeping costs under control.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I think KOFXIV looks great. It seems to play solid. But that's what everyone says about the latest KOFs game. I'll try it out for myself before judging.

My favorite part is the "animation" of the owl landing on Maria's hand.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

KOF XIV has mediocre animation because the models they used are from the ones they traced the sprites over from KOF XIII (which also had mediocre animation).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

FanaticalMilk posted:

They're not a nightmare to make, the problem with KOFXIII is that the way SNK went about making HD sprites was the most time-consuming, labor intensive, and finicky method for creating HD sprites that's known to exist. I forgot who explained it, but it basically boiled down to 2-3 Blazblue characters could be created in the time it would take 1 KOFXIII character to be made. SNK's just really good at shooting themselves in the foot.

Yep. It isn't the 2000s anymore. Creating Street Fighter V quality graphics is much more expensive and time consuming than it was say ten years ago. Hell, Arc System Works flatout stated that the jump to 3D was more or less as difficult as HD 2D (though much of that is due to their unique process). There is a reason why King of Fighters XIV looks like a Source game from 2007. SNK wants to keep costs down so quality models and textures are a big no no.