Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Terrible thread, doesnīt give Gootecks credit for coining the Gootecks Shimmy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVTdAOb54xI

This should be in page one of any FG thread.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLFx8uY6GwY

Did this one show up already?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

StabMasterArson posted:

I decided to step my game up and get my first stick (hori rap v3) and try to learn something properly. I was into SFIV but played with a pad, and Capcom are having some hard times making sensible decisions lately so what game should I start with? none of the videos in this thread make any drat sense to me

Read the OP!

No, really, Brosnan did a good job adressing your question (and the stick thing too). See what type of game appeals to you and try out one of his suggestions. SFV is the vanilla option - itīs simple, you can find players everywhere and it will teach you the basics of any fighting game.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

NecroMonster posted:

whatever smash has it's own thread it doesn't need to come up here unless it's related to whatever conversation/debate has come up in which case it's status as a fighting game is unimportant look just let brosnan have this he needs it he likes 3d fighting games

Goodbye, Tekken! (2016): Brosnan wakes up from a 20 year coma after slipping and hitting his head on a Tekken 3 cabinet. No one plays Tekken anymore and Smash Bros is one of the biggest competitive fighting games in America, but the SA thread is afraid the shock from those news might kill the only person that could be bothered making general fighting game threads. Hijinks ensue.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

boxcarhobo posted:

tekken owns;

play tekken

But I'm already invested in one game no one plays! How can I balance not playing Melty Blood and not playing Tekken at the same time?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

homo-genius got me probated at a hearthstone thread

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

attackmole posted:

I'm new and idgi

you should watch more homo-genius

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

fixed it

https://a.pomf.cat/ewlyay.mp4

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

The gently caress?

Eh, I think it doesn't have the PSX version modes (since it's based on the PC version) and Ryougi's scenario for whatever reason. Main issue here is the netcode, which feels pretty similar to the original netcode...so not great, really.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
i'm busy trying to remember how to play melty blood

i'm mashing 2a and still losing i was hoping i'd get matched with new terrible players why did i get ten matches in a row with someone i know is quite good

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Trip report: Melty Blood still more fun than SFV. Pity the netcode is Bad and the port apparently has some issues. But hey, might as well pay my Melty Blood Tax.

also my h-vsion is garbage and i can't combo and i won a couple matches off dashup throw which is not a thing

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

NecroMonster posted:

is that like just spamming jH (in older gg games) with slayer against bad players?

i dunno but the overhead ain't super hard to react to unless you're me and you're negative after it

i should probably do more overheads anyway tho, the amount of times I got people with random 6[C] on the corner because they tried to jump out is pretty silly. Same thing with charged divekick on knockdown.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is there a modern successor to the Melty Blood games or at least a sister series of it? I always assumed that UNIEL was that game.

UNIEL was made by the same guys that did Melty Blood. I actually never played it, but I know it both has a lot of similar mechanics but also plays completely different. I guess you could say they're sister games, like Blazblue and Guilty Gear.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It also has whatever the gently caress that GRD system is, which is arcane even for a game related to Melty Blood.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

NecroMonster posted:

One of the characters in that is a lady in a dress with a stabby sword I like a bunch of these things

Hilda is cool.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

NecroMonster posted:

Was thinking more like that Orie lady.

Also Charlotte and Mitsuru are cool as heck

Oh, Orie is also pretty cool.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
MadScientist is too good for this world. Such a man.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hah, apparently Namco got Akuma in Tekken by allowing Capcom to use their patented training mode stuff, no cash money involved.

(link in portuguese: http://games.tecmundo.com.br/noticias/sabe-akuma-custou-serie-tekken-nada_822995.htm)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zand posted:

id think that having a good training mode would just be an extension of some sort of developer tool. the fact that they couldnt do this without help speaks volumes

It wasn't so much "couldn't do it" as it was "Namco holds the patents for Demo Mode and other little features, so unless you pay them you can't put it in your game".

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

snake eyez can't deal with those footsies

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My experience with Marvel vs Capcom is that people will mostly run a train on you but it'll be fun...until someone picks Gold War Machine. Oh my God, the top tier on that game is idiotic. ST is a fun game but you just get murdered unless you know your poo poo, which is why I liked playing A2 more, because I clearly don't know my poo poo. I dislike 3S, but you can get matches on your level if you're okay-ish at fighting games and pick Chun. This is all I can say for Fightcade games.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Saoshyant posted:

That's two times people have mentioned that ST in fightcade is frustrating. I thought it was still the game novices were encouraged to pick up to learn the fundamentals so I imagined the population would be disparate between veterans and newcomers. Guess not?

I mean, it's really fast so it's not THAT frustrating, and the surface game itself is pretty simple, it's just VERY punishing, as Zand said, both because everything is tight and because everything hurts like hell.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
ST is recommended because it's "pure" SF, and basically the foundation for most fighting games ever since. It's really not newbie-friendly, but it's also very stripped down and rewards good footsies and solid play (unless you play claw because in ST damdai never feels helpless)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Saoshyant posted:

I think we are all aware what ST is, how fast it is, how "pure" it is, etc, etc. I just imagined there would be tons of newcomers playing which would even out the odds for them, but this being such a niche hobby, I guess it really doesn't make much sense in practice. Most newcomers probably aren't even aware they should go for ST so they likely just stick to the online of big games (previously SF4, now SF5 and KI).

That was kinda passive-agressive, but anyway, nowadays people don't even say "play ST", they say "play SF4/SFV because it's the one everyone plays". Now, if someone wants to learn fighting games, they might get directed to ST, but they're either gonna stick with it until they get real good or go play another game because ST Is Hard. So in practice there ain't a lot of complete newbies.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Apart from King of Fighters the most populous room on GGPO Lobby / Fightcade always seems to be Third Strike, probably as a result of graphics + the words "Street Fighter" + a snowball effect because having lots of people brings more people in.

3S kinda has a big community that stayed in 3S because that game is the most distinct SF outside of EX series. It's also really pretty, has a lot of flashy bullshit and the music is good.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Oh, I also played SamSho5 on Fightcade. It's the lamest game and I had no idea what I was doing but you can take off 50% off someone with a heavy slash so

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Baal posted:

As a millennial I can tell you several of my own kind gravitate towards that game because the aesthetic is "Incredibly My poo poo" as several people I know have put it to me. Hell, it was pretty cool to me for a while too until I was like "This got boring somewhere along the way and I don't know where, back to SF4."

I mean, it is pretty cool-looking, pity it's...nah, not gonna say it, trigger warnings and all that. It's also way different from the other SF games in terms of style, it borrowed these urban elements when the rest of the series is A Fighting Game About Fighting Mans.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
KOF XIV still looks pretty bad, but it looked so awful in that first trailer that now it's almost The Order in comparison. It looks worse than SFV.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Saoshyant posted:

KOFXIV looked pretty bad early on, but now it looks fine. And it has a much better graphical design going than SFV.

Eh, I dunno if I agree. I don't think SFV looks amazing, but it kinda has an identity going on, in terms of UI and presentation. XIV looks kinda...dated? It actually reminds me of early-gen PS3 games. In terms of character design it's also doing the SF thing of cartoony realism, and I don't think it's doing it any better. I mean, Andy and Terry are giving Ken a run for his money. They seem to have upped their stage game tho, the first ones were bad but everything that showed up recently looks slick as hell.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
They are bad compared to anything that came out this gen. They look incredibly flat, like plastic models, it's PS2-era skin textures all the way. I mean, just freeze frame on faces in that trailer. Now, if that bothers you or not, that's a different thing.

Also this PS4-exclusive release might backfire on SNK, I don't think the people that really care about KOF have current-gen consoles, hehe.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Saoshyant posted:

It will be on PC, you guys. Be excited that there's a new KOF and that it's a good one.

It will be on PC or it will be on PC eventually like 13 was?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Baal posted:

Still better than the mess that is Eyes of Heaven

Eyes of Heaven is barely a fighting game, c'mon. When's a Good Modern Jojo Fighting Game

Sarchasm posted:

I had a Brazilian coworker stuff his suitcase full of PS4s when he went home for Christmas last year because he could sell them for way less than MSRP and still make a ridiculous profit.

It's still like 1900 BRL (about 500 USD right now, give or take) on legit stores, not counting games and controllers which are 200 a piece. There's a reason why I play on pad, a legit Madcatz is almost as expensive as the fuckin' console.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Netcode is a lie perpetuated by the Esports Illuminati so people wouldn't play Melty Blood. The good netcode is a Caster because it references dark magic. Ask questions.

Also XIV is probably gonna have bad netcode and that's pretty sad. It can't be THAT expensive to license and use GGPO, can it?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

when's caster integration on steam

should i buy it before then or is this a Yatagarasu situation where they're like "no we're totally going to integrate GGPO, any day now" and then never do it until the game is dead and nobody even remembers it existed

Well, Madscientist seems to be working directly with Arcsys to implement rollback, but it's still on its early stages - they're not sure if it's gonna be a new implementation, if they're just gonna license CCCaster, etc. The good thing is that Melty is already dead, so that which is dead may eternal lie and poo poo.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zand posted:

Japanese game devs taking advice from a westerner and likely being in charge of implementation sounds shaky to me

I mean, kinda is, but hope springs eternal. They seem to be actively working towards it, at least.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zand posted:

that game is very fun. i have only played as full moon seifuku ahika tohno personally. she seems really bad but she can press 2A like crazy.

2a is life and maids are life

i have no idea what f-seifuku can do, honestly. c-seifuku is an rear end in a top hat that shoots pillars and flame pits at you and you die

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
VAhika as a whole is a jerk, H is annoying as hell and has mad corner carry.

I wish my vampire schoolgirl was that sick. H-VSion is a pretty well-behaved girl that has an okay overhead and some summon BS.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
also

dangerdoom volvo posted:

i bought melty blood because thats what i do but i dont know poo poo about it, theres some guy in there called NRVNQSR CHAOS so thatscool i guess and like 10 different combinations of maids and cat maids and robot maids

go peep mizuumi or melty bits: https://drunkardshade.com/category/melty-blood/

There are some pretty nice writeups for some characters there. Amazingly enough F-Nero is absent but my writeup on him is press j.C a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

interrodactyl posted:

watch any f-vakiha match with GO1 and you'll see why the character is stupid good: http://www.meltydb.com/resultall.php?1c=VAkiha&1m=Full&tdb=cl

besides having a billion traps and good ways to convert into really advantageous situations all around, she's a loving tank

her guts rating is super loving good for some reason

Do you mean F-Akiha? VAkiha is the fast, glass cannon-ish version, Tohno Akiha is the tanky rear end in a top hat.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

the description in game made it sound like crescent was the real mode and the others are like simple mode or you know what i mean

Nah, each moon plays quite different from one another. Think of it as grooves.