Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

melty comes out on Steam tomorrow and I've been trying to re-learn junk but man this game is mechanically dense

it's still a ton of fun though, I'm thrilled it's finally getting a convenient PC release with hopefully good netcode.

I might pick it up if the netcode is decent and there's some euro goons to beat me up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
XIV would be fine if the animations were less janky.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
The technique used by Xrd also doesn't work with extra costumes either, since you'd have to redo a ton of meshes used in animations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Spermgod posted:

under this logic invisible hitboxes during gameplay are pretty much inexcusable so i guess that rules out every fighting game ever

Doesn't KI and Skullgirls have hitbox viewer built into training mode?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

He didn't say that looking like poo poo means the game is good

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Fereydun posted:

a guy who likes sf5 and hates marvel...
this is the world we live in now

s m g*d d h

Sf5 is an alright if very dull game packaged in liquid poo poo, marvel 3 is just the regular kind of bad.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

attackmole posted:

I guess I shouldn't speak in generalities. People can be as competitive as they want, I don't care, I just think when people start trying to compare fighting games to war or MMA or whatever it feels more like self-absorbed macho posturing than anything helpful to me. Everyone has their own style of how they approach games. Mine's a lot closer to Kusoru than Daigo.

Of course, you gotta learn to get good before you can do the real fun stuff. Gotta know the rules to break em, etc.

People writing dumb self-important stuff is just that and isn't exclusive to fighting games, I once read a Dota guide on supporting that descended into paragraphs on how watching anime will make you a better player.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Pomp posted:

what is bloodline champions then :smuggo:

Arena Brawler.

Related: play Battlerite you fucks

I kind of like how KoF 14 has implemented autocombos, they do ok-ish damage and are unsafe on block instead of being just noob traps. Lets you get some baseline damage in without having to practice bnbs for 3 characters before playing.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

Meanwhile, in a fighter, the answer is immediate and obvious, and it's a lot harder to lie to others and yourself about whether or not you're anywhere near the skill ceiling of the game.

This has absolutely never deterred people from shifting blame away from themselves. Dunning Kruger is a hell of a drug.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
How often do stuff get discounted on PSN, should I get Revelator and KoF XIV now even though I'll only pick up a PS4 sometime January?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Seems like that code is only valid for the US but ah well. Might get CF too if it gets discounted later down the line.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Fereydun posted:

they removed assists and the 3v3 team dynamic in mvc4 though

The issue isn't that MvCI is goung to be dumbed down, it's that they're making Sfxt 2 instead of MVC 4.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Reiley posted:

Here's a stick question: I think the down microswitch on my stick is actually damaged and needs to be replaced. I heard Seimitsu sticks have a stiffer throw and I'm playing lots of anime games so I'd like to give that a try- is replacing a Sanwa stick with a Seimitsu a solderless replacement, or something that is easily done without drilling any new mounting holes? What kind of work am I looking at replacing the stick component, or would it be easier to just get another microswitch ring and put that in my Sanwa?

Depends on your stick, but generally the only thing you need to pay attention to is what kind of mounting plate you need. I picked up a ls-32 off goon recomendations and I like i much better than the stock JLF on my Qanba Q4.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
The Q4 doesn't need any of the mounting plates but the mounting holes are on the other side so you have to pull the faceplate.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Looks like some people have Stockholm syndrome from too much SF2 on SNES.

Split or circular d-pad is personal preference, but you probably should have gone with a Saturn pad as the example.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Doesn't Smug play on the analog stick with dpad for dashing or something like that

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

stay depressed posted:

yes that does sound super ignorant

Rutibex posted:

Lots. Every region in the world has a middle class. You think the average south American government employee can't afford a PS4?

PS4 cost like $2000 dollars on launch in Brazil and I doubt it's much cheaper now.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Madmarker posted:

At least that is what I can tell from my league playing friends, I hate team based competitive games and wont touch them because I like knowing I lost because of me so I will actually work to improve myself versus blaming it on some pub or what have you.

If you lose in a team based game, it's because of you, hth.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Capcom doesn't pay JWong, they're just pot splitting

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Guillermus posted:

Got another couple of questions, this time regarding gamepad/sticks to use on my PS4 (and PC).

My budget can't go over 60€ so I've seen a bunch of options that are available for me in EU (I'm including the US amazon links for easier checking), and while I'm more used to gamepads, I wouldn't mind trying a cheapish stick. These are the ones I've seen and would love if they are decent for a casual player:

Mayflash F300 (55€ in EU, amazon premium):
https://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-F300-Arcade-Fight-Joystick/dp/B019MFPLC0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499562699&sr=8-1&keywords=mayflash+f300

HORI Fighting stick mini (around 39€ here, amazon premium):
https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Fightin...mini+fightstick

HORI Fighting Commander (39€ and not premium, they import it to Spain from Japan and takes like 20 days to arrive):
https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Fightin...Bcommander&th=1

Mayflash one looks decent and compatible with my PS4, Xbox360 and PC wich is a plus. I'm a pad player so, if there's an alternative to the Hori FC with better D-pad than the DS4 I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance!

The only "cheap" stick I'd suggest is Venom PS4 but that's out of your price range.

The Hori FC isn't a straight upgrade over the DS4 but you might like the dpad better so, if possible, try it out before buying.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

I just want to get good enough to fight against my friends and in local stuff, and I've had a hard time getting there. :/ And it's not for lack of effort.

I am way late but the execution barrier to play other people is:
- be able to control a character in a 2D plane
- be able to press face buttons and a direction at the same time

That's it.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

neogaf is so goddamn pathetic

for more laughs check out that SFV thread about why spending 12 hours grinding for fight points in SFV means you can get like 6 dlc characters therefore stop complaining everybody, all you need to do is waste like days upon days grinding unfun poo poo to get a better roster

Being able to slowly grind out dlc characters or paying 30 bucks, while not amazing, is still strictly superior to buying full priced revisions. It's just that SFV is a $60 f2p game and people judge it on those merits.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

idea: fighting games should have an online mode that analyzes player skill in a way germane to fighting games (rather than any simple or complex score keeping) and then attempts to match players based on that information, with an eye towards matching players with others who are just a little bit better than them whenever possible.

Now that I won't be matched against jumpers and fireball spammers anymore, I'll be able to show my true potential!

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Non-dash games only work when the movespeed isn't trash garbage

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

I got in but BamcoEU hosed the codes up and won't be resending them until tomorrow morning :rip:

Is that why the link throws a redirect error?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Agoat posted:

MvCI is at least fun in training mode so far. I don't think it'll be outright bad in the sense that there's no fun to be had but DBZ is coming so who cares

What's a good stick to get for Xbone? Does one exist? I don't mind swapping out parts.

Your existing stick + a Brooks Universal Fighting Board. Hori RAP Tekken 7 edition has an Xbone version (if you can get it for MSRP it seems sold out on Amazon) and so does RAP Kai.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

They should just have tried to sell an mvc anthology made by a 3rd party contractor for modern consoles and called it day. From rumors it sounds like they are doing it to sf soon cause i guess usf2 sold circles around sfv

They re-released VSav recently and it didn't do too well.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

In Training posted:

4 bucks a character is fine if you're going to charge but I much preferred the GG model of Free

How is it free when Rev and Rev 2 exist

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Lord Chumley posted:

Marvel 3 had this poo poo too.

SFV too

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

In Training posted:

It looks cool is why

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

They could've just extended throw invulnerability on wakeup to a degree that "meaty throws" aren't possible. Instead they've given you One Frame to time a "meaty throw" and tried to fix the "problem" of them existing by removing the situations you can actually perform them.

You'd think that would be the obvious fix but they somehow manage to find new lovely band-aids to pile every time.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

What's the nerf? I must've missed it.

Light roll has more pushback on hit so you're out of range for a throw.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

VigilantePrime posted:

How do you get around ghosting if you're playing on a keyboard? Buttons feel much more precise to me than a stick but it seems pointless if it ignores half of my inputs.

You only need it to recognize 4 keys at most so with a little trial and error you can usually figure out binds that don't overlap unless the keyboard is absolutely garbage.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Hace posted:

Is there any reason the PC netcode won't be bunk

Even if it's identical, you can often shave off a frame or two of latency by disabling vsync and stuff so it feels better.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Minidust posted:

Huh... so does your PS4 see that as a PS3 controller with "legacy support," or is it recognized as a full-on proper PS4 controller? I may have to look into that if it's the latter.

I currently use a dual-modded 360/PS3 stick. In PS3 mode it does get recognized as a legacy controller, but that whole deal can be a bit clunky sometimes.

Proper ps4 controller, I use their ps3->ps4 converter.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Yeah

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
How's the delay on the regular fighting board vs the universal one?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Nah MtG is an actual game, not a skinner box.

lmao it's the granddaddy of lootboxes

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Which is insane because you'd think the PC version would be the one taking off in Latin America/China/all the other major KOF strongholds

Dunno about South America, but they massively botched the pricing in Europe. The Steam port was released a year later for €65 (you can generally get AAA games for less than 60 on launch) and with the dlc as a seperate €20 purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Aksys, not Arcsys.

Arcsys has an official US office now, so Aksys is pretty much hosed from here on out.

Did Arcsys publish UNIEL/ST in Japan?