Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Hey new fighting game thread

I've been on a real SNK fighting game kick lately with King of Fighters XIV on the horizon. I barely have any idea where to start, though I do know that almost everything I would need could be found on Wii Virtual Console (save for things like Garou, KoFXI, CvS2, and KoF98UM). I do have KoFXIII for 360 but I've touched it all of once and don't have any desire to pick it back up unless there's some neat story mode things I could check out (and at this point I would gladly trade in the 360 version for the PS3 version anyways).

Any good SNK fight game suggestions from you guys? Anything from KoF to Fatal Fury is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Baal posted:

I'd also recommend Maximum Impact because of how loving stupid it is, but that's not one I'd recommend for anything other than Schadenfreude.

I saw Best Friends play Maximum Impact 2 and I'm pretty sure that's all I need to know about Maximum Impact.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I loving love how stupid the melodrama at the end of Maximum Impact 2 is. You see Soiree's ghost and you think he's dead, but he just got kidnapped to become evil but Alba is loving devastated over nothing and it's hilarious.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Kizuna Encounter!

Kizuna Encounter looks awesome but I don't have a Neo Geo and it looks stupid rare to find either way.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll see what I can do when I get my next paycheck.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

RBX posted:

You're insane if you even think to compare sfv and the new kof.

I welcome any comparisons between a bad game and KoFXIV

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

attackmole posted:

Nah KOF characters look pretty bad. It's a pretty generic art style mixed with PS2 graphics. But w/e maybe that just means if it gets ported to PC in two years it'll run on my garbage laptop. The 3D models are pretty much strictly worse than their old sprites, but that's what it takes to get a new game made with lots of characters, I guess.

Not saying the 3D models aren't underwhelming compared to their 2D sprites, but those sprites are so god drat expensive to make that going 3D was the only way that SNK wasn't going to shoot themselves in the foot with a new KoF installment

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

i am excited for kof

When I get a PS4 I will be similarly excited for KoFXIV

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I don't play PC games though

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I want Fio in KoFXIV

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I can't believe someone finally invented the technology to make a girl's body glimmer like in anime

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

dangerdoom volvo posted:

i loving rule at telling people who would win between the hulk and superman

Saitama

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Disney recently shut down Disney Infinity and closed its doors as a publisher, but it'll still license out its properties to people. And since they own Marvel, people are already starting to speculate on the possibility of a new Marvel vs. Capcom.

I just want the next vs. Capcom game to be against Shonen Jump or Nintendo but I wouldn't object to a new MvC either

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Where are the stills from the extended trailer

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

When is Balrog coming

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Friends are the worst avenue to ask for feedback from because unless they know anything about what makes a game work they will just pat you on the back and say "yeah good job man."

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I can't wait to see concept art for Sylvie Paula Paula

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

oh hey Injustice 2 is gonna be announced at e3

Starro or bust

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

In the MKX Story Mode Johnny Cage is actually an incredibly good dad and Sonya's the one who's the bad parent

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

The best description I've heard of a Mortal Kombat game was during Evo 2014, when somebody said MK9 looked like a fake fighting game. As in, the kind being played on a TV show or in a movie because they couldn't get the rights to a real game or be bothered to learn how to get footage of decent people playing a real game.

No that's Killer Instinct

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Smash Bros. is Queen

Melee is Another One Bites the Dust, Brawl is We Are the Champions, 3DS/Wii U is I Want It All

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Actually, Smash is Kidz Bop

Actually Kidz Bop is Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I'm glad NRS is letting everyone know how Smash 4 completionists felt when they kept getting nothing but equipment drops

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Gavok posted:

Since just before the release of the first game, they've been doing an Injustice prequel comic that's still going on today and has about four months left before it completely wraps up. They killed off an excessive amount of characters, sometimes to take heavy hitters off the table, yet they had enough foresight to stay away from using/killing Supergirl, Grodd, Atrocitus and Captain Cold. I'm kind of impressed that they had the roster figured out so far ahead of time.

Sadly, they just killed off Alfred, the best and most badass character in the series. :smith:

Are you gonna make more write-ups for DC characters like in the old Injustice thread 'cause those were cool and informative

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Gorilla Grodd is there, gently caress everything else, pack your bags Guilty Gear

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Kill Melee
Save Smash 4

Then keep Pokken and make those the only Nintendo fighting games at EVO

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

In Training posted:

Holy crap KOFXIV comes out in like 6 weeks.

I can't believe the savior of fighting games comes out next month

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I can't believe someone made an account on Something Awful for the sole purpose of dumping on Nintendo, the greatest video game company of all time

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Isn't Woolie entering EVO again this year, or am I hearing things wrong?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Kikkoman posted:

Seriously that new butler character looks lame, where's Yamazaki?

Hein is great and I will use him

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Dude just casually puts down a gravity-intensifying orb and calmly slams his opponent into the dirt and you call that lame?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Big Scary Owl posted:

Why isn't a great game like this being played at EVO? Top 8 for this would be the poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGmaJ0PszaM

I like the sound effects being louder than the in-game music

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Figure you guys might get a kick out of this. Woolie and Matt from Super Best Friends critique Street Fighter boxarts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VstwoyuDoXQ

Titan Dee Jay should have been the main event at EVO

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Remember, you can add her to your account even if you don't have Revelator yet!

I don't even have Revelator yet but I'm gonna download her anyway

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Smash Bros. on Cartoon Network or Disney XD

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Would rather play someone in the realest poverty fighter, Dino Rex

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

has there ever been a good fighting game

TMNT: Tournament Fighters for SNES

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

The only advantage the NES version has is it lets you play as a dragon

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Fetus of God is both the best and worst fighting game stage in history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I played Primal Rage at Gen Con and discovered that Blizzard was a charge character and suddenly the game feels more deep than I give it credit for