Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

I know it's mostly for new players but the stick thing could probably do with a mention on converters for old sticks, although i'm not too up to snuff on them myself, top thread though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Brosnan posted:

A few people will also say 3rd Strike and Jojo's but in reality people say they like those games more than they are actually willing to play them.

uh

brian
Sep 11, 2001

buy that game, it's a good game

brian
Sep 11, 2001

IMO 3S is the natural evolution of ST and yall too bad to get it

it turned FGs from rock paper scissor to rock paper scissor AWESOMEPARRY

pls play it and make your own decisions and stop giving up when it gets hard as it gets a lot better the better you get imo

brian
Sep 11, 2001

3s is basically HeroQuest only you're both DMs and adventurers and you have to do it all in less than a second a lot, if you're the kind of self hating goon that constantly tries to confound expectations about yourself for fear anyone finds out you're secretly an empty cliche of a person, 3s may be the game for you!

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Pomp posted:

once i got good enough at it that antiairing became a parry centered abstract concept (this takes like one day of applied effort at the game) i never touched it again because tbh "punish dude who's jumping in on you" shouldn't be something multiple yomi levels also i hate divekicks

it's just another layer on top of an already more complicated AA system than "punish dude that's jumping in on you", like p much all games that don't have single strong AA normals that either cover the range or don't, most anti airing in nuanced and it's just adding the same level of reads that you get in every other part of 3s

you basically have to accept fully that everything in 3s is uncertain and bask in its glory

I like that it exposes you to having to try more options that you wouldn't usually think of, whether walk unders, jump backs, dash back dash in throw, multi hit AAs, multi hit AAs you only do the first hit of then throw when they try to double parry and land early and so on, you can also make your jump ins parry safe a lot of the time and trip guard is huge in the game, I don't really get why people want it to be simple because it reduces your offensive options too

brian
Sep 11, 2001

inthesto posted:

I like both ST and 3S and I am bad at both but come on this couldn't be any further from the truth and you know it

I don't see how an opinion about something as subjective as the natural evolution of something could be a lie? I think ST created the basic model of interaction in fighting games and then 3S added a mechanic that's so powerful and all encompassing it redefines every interaction with that new element, to me that's a natural evolution as it's a core rework of the basic parts of fighting games. I also think that fighting games are funnest when it's about reads and counter reads and levelling, and that every fighting game eventually boils down to that when you're good enough at spacing and anything game specific that requires precision, so to me 3S just makes the core part of what I enjoy about FGs more interesting and multi-layered. I have a whole thing against people who want regimented clear responses to everything ala SF4/5 because to me it's all reducing the impact the other player can have on you, which removes/dampens what I like about FGs in general.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

just doin my bit so everyone can see the vanessian blinders

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Haha suck it nerds who don't own arcade cabinets with most of the PCBs of games on fightcade strewn across their living room in a supreme display of mancave dwelling nerdiness

brian
Sep 11, 2001

dangerdoom volvo posted:

brian nods approvingly... "such depth"

yeah because i'm that shallow to like something terrible because oh poo poo did you see those parries bruv

brian
Sep 11, 2001

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

but DID you see them parries bruv

yeah but those parries doe

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Skullgirls is objectively a poo poo boring game for poo poo boring people, IN MY OPINION

brian
Sep 11, 2001

why does The Club just remind me of sandwiches instead of bullets

brian
Sep 11, 2001

you are quite the wordsmith at equating things based on very strenuous similarities while also having terrible taste

brian
Sep 11, 2001

whiffless single direction tap parry is the best mechanic because it makes all the things have more things

brian
Sep 11, 2001

that may be a troll post but it's literally like the logic of 99% of people who poo poo on 3s

brian
Sep 11, 2001

oh god i love this

brian
Sep 11, 2001

You don't have to hate playing it for a while, you just don't put expectations on the game being one thing all the time and then you can enjoy every stage of it, also you just play really good players who force you to play better and it's ridiculously fun so you get a lot of impetus to get better. That said the US 3s community is generally poisonous so I don't blame anyone for not being involved in that.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

i'd say in literally every game with any significant depth, you'll reach a plateau where you have to play the game in a different way than you imagined, just because that's how high level play trends towards, adapting to the actual state of play is really important because everything that you think is clever eventually becomes routine enough to factor into their thinking. It's not something i'm good at explaining so someone will probably lay into me about it, but I feel like a lot of intermediate players are more constrained by their expectations in general, it prevents you from thinking laterally about problems, which imo is why high level 3s is the best, because it forces you to do that routinely. It's why that thing Pachi said about danger time resonated with me, because instinctual situations where you have to adapt in the time are the funnest parts of FGs to me by a mile, not that i necessarily agree danger time is a great implementation of that ofc

brian
Sep 11, 2001

the people want to hear more about 3s who am i to stand in their way

brian
Sep 11, 2001

no he's "DOPE! That's sick!" or something like that on here but he also has good taste

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Why do I attract these posts???!!

brian
Sep 11, 2001

dangerdoom volvo posted:

3s is the most ridiculed game in the sa scene

yeah the sa scene that thinks KI is a good game lol

brian
Sep 11, 2001

m8 i'm waiting for someone who likes the game to insult me so I can point out that I know nothing about the game just like they know nothing about 3s, stop messing up my jive

brian
Sep 11, 2001

3s
3s
3s
3s and 3s

because it spits hot fire

brian
Sep 11, 2001

One day you will all see the light, I just pray it isn't too late for you to enjoy the world of street fighter 3

brian
Sep 11, 2001

anothergod posted:

Ackkk. As far as lighting goes try better graphics settings? I never really tried to play anything lower than fantastic.

Wrt the floating items did you play against anyone? I got some people from the select button forum to twitch stream and they loved it. I think one guy was pretty gung ho about the game and the rest got used to it.

Edit: alright, cool, I tried! Later dudes

If it helps I work in games and this attitude is one of the key reasons why indie startups doing generic local multiplayer games last approximately a year and a half and about 3 weeks after they actually release, PR is incredibly important and completely dependent on word of mouth so having a dismissive attitude at any point is basically setting fire to your chances of surviving in a ridiculously competitive space (notably because these games aren't exactly hard to make). You can't pick and choose, you need to have an outstanding USP, you need to have excellent public relations/promotion/friendliness and you need a commitment to quality because you're going to fail to achieve the level you think you're going to achieve for a variety of reasons (everyone does). You can pass it off as a unique situation where you get to ignore everything because goons, but they're just voicing things people who will immediately dismiss your game would say if they weren't too busy not caring. Get it together man, if this is your one big shot at indie stardom, do it properly.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Venom looks like the coolest character in Rev, just like he's the coolest character in every other version

brian
Sep 11, 2001

1) 3s is better than ST suck it you twats

2) stop trying to dissuade old crotchety FG players from making GBS threads on new people with terrible opinions, it's the time tested method of teaching people to not be terrible posters who comment on things with very little insight or experience yet an inflated sense of the importance of their viewpoint, usually based on a series of caveats about how they're in a unique position precisely because they know very little

3) none of your posts are innocuous bhsman you just don't realise how dumb you're being half the time and constantly defend your dumbness when you're being dumb thus leading to a never ending loop of dumbness

brian
Sep 11, 2001

The main thing to understand is that in 1-3 years you will be just as sad at your own posts as everyone else is, it's a function of the learning curve of fighting games, it's why there's scrub quotes twitters and stuff

brian
Sep 11, 2001

It's nice when people link 3S videos you did the streaming for as an example as why it's the best 8)

brian
Sep 11, 2001

I mean they already proved they'll gently caress up every 3s character they can with SF4 and specifically AE, but I don't really view them as the same character, every game's different and part of what makes Urien so cool in 3S is that you have the option to parry out of his stuff and he can adapt around that, if there's no parry then aegis isn't really the same anyway as it inevitably has to be worse.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

The key to finding consensus on whether games are good or bad is to listen to my opinion as I'm always right and you're all just idiots for not getting it

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Parries in 3S are not remotely all optional party time do it anyway extravaganzas, for every parry you do that's not simply leading a normal (and even then you're choosing to parry -> normal over doing the normal quicker) you're making a decision about that situation. Parries come with a roughly 30f cooldown and are only active for a maximum of 7-8f, which is contingent on not cancelling that parry into movement, blocking or attacks. For example in a jump in from a middling range, you as the jumper can choose to parry early on the way up and just about have time to parry again on the way down, leaving you exposed during the gap, you can parry at around the point where their farthest AA option will land (and typically do your jump in after) and lose to later AAs that interrupt your normal or miss the parry window and finally you can parry late to counter late AA, but give up the option to put in a jump normal.

But it doesn't stop there! Say you parry anything successfully in these situations you now have to contend with what they'll do after the parry, most good AA options can be cancelled into something or other, for example vs a shoto you have to contend with it being cancelled into invincible dps that can be multihit, tatsus that hit considerably later than dps on cancel and can shift them behind you, machine gun jabs and finally doing nothing and baiting your multi parry attempt. If you're committing to follow up parries, you're not committing to getting the normal out in time if they don't do anything, leaving you at neutral most of the time. There's a big element of attention in 3S, if you're focused on countering X and Y and they do Z, you might technically be able to fit in some magical parry somewhere but you'll rarely ever be in a frame of mind to execute on that because of the competing issues with all the other options you and your opponent have.

I could get into parrying jump ins which in general is much simpler, but has a whole element of making parry safe jump ins and early normals that allow good tick grabs and stuff, not to mention the ever present threat of empty jump low/throw that you get in every fighting game, but there's only so much 3splainin I can be bothered to do. The biggest thing in 3S is that while there's techniques to mitigate the amount of decision making you have to do (standard option parries, crouch -> parry to anti air etc), the basis of the game has a huge element of constant and branching decision making as a result of parry and IMO its necessarily down to the lack of whiff animation and ease of input. I think the end game is really cool as you might imagine and I accept that some people don't, but to me it's literally Street Fighter Improved as instead of being RPS it's RPSP and in another shock horror lovely opinion, I really enjoyed the Metal Gear Acid series.

edit: I don't pretend OS parries don't exist, I just think they're the cost of a great system and it's not a big deal to do any of them, while learning when you can do them without repercussion is a fun process.

edit2: There's a whole element to option parries wherein you can confirm off their parry into a super cancel or even command grabs in various situations, the parry stun is long enough to see a lot of the time.

brian fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 17, 2016

brian
Sep 11, 2001

smash is a fine game with some nice people in the scene but i would prefer if they didn't get added to big FGC events as there isn't enough time for FGs already at the ones I go to, at locals I think mixing everything is good for everyone though, just bigger events suffer when smash (and tekken in the uk apparently) are involved because they seem to consistently get aggravated about stream time while repeatedly lying about how long their section will take and over filling it with games then not caring about anyone else because the crossover is so small.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Generally with FPS games with low tick rates and high compensation that do the compensation well, the better you get at them (and the better the people you're playing against), the more you're affected by the flaws and inconsistencies with what you do. Happens in CS and especially Overwatch and given how Splatoon does no regional filtering at all yet still seems remarkably smooth I imagine it's really bad on that. That said it's a console shooter so you get what you deserve you uncultured swines

brian
Sep 11, 2001

I also prepare my jokes ahead of time to relax and be more chill

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Quite literally zero ambiguity in the statement

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Don't worry i'd rather cut off my balls than play melty

brian fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jul 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Baal posted:

Proceed

Nah thanks, unlike melty players I actually have a use for them occasionally