Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I didn't see anything about the Lupe Daigo SFV match in the OP. This is horseshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

anothergod posted:

How do you all feel about Rival Schools?

It's one of the games I have fond memories of playing with my bro when we were younger.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Kuvo posted:

shaq is the only one with his own fighting game so obviously he will win

Lupe beat Daigo though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Maybe the embargo lifts on the 26 or 27th when Guardians of the Galaxy 2 premieres in the EU, and they're gonna showcase all the Guardians in the game.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/daigothebeast/status/856363370613690368

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

JordanKai posted:

New Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite trailer (just a cutscene, no gameplay):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ2Hsig12h8

Reveals Hulk, Hawkeye, Chris Redfield, Ultron, Rocket Raccoon, Chun-Li, Thor, Strider and Sigma. :stoked:

e: Oh, and a September 19th release date!

So wait, this game has a story mode like Injustice now?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Oh yeah huh, story mode is a thing in MvCI. More info on Capcom Unity: http://www.capcom-unity.com/combofi...capcom-infinite

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CharlestonJew posted:

lol first trailer includes a DLC character, nice work Capcom

Technically this is the 3rd trailer.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

What made Marvel good in the first place?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

anime was right posted:

assists, team mechanics, and bullshit

I think most would agree everything about MVCI is literal bullshit at the moment though. :haw:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Unconfirmed, but a gameplay trailer is supposed to drop Thursday allegedly. Found some in-game screenshots below. The interface looks kinda :effort:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Found these on twitter: Ryu , Megaman, and Thor DLC costumes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MvC: Infinite Gameplay Trailer https://vid.me/EV6z

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Here's another mirror in case that gets taken down https://streamable.com/7ib6x

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

^jinx

Game is 5 months out. I'd hope they're gonna touch up/polish the visuals because drat, it kinda does have that mobile game aesthetic going on.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Visually, it needs a lot fuckton of work imo. The gameplay doesn't look too bad though to be honest. But mobile game visual aesthetic aside, Chun's design needs a complete do-over. Good lord.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo Japan's streaming some sort of Arms tournament this weekend that includes exhibition matches from a few name players (Abadango, MOV, Chocoblanka, Tanukana): http://live2.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv295553400

Tanukana :allears:

Context:
https://fat.gfycat.com/PassionateAdolescentCottontail.webm

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I just learned Injustice 2 has no PC release date :(

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Brosnan posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/tekken is gonna have a stream tomorrow at 3 PST where they show off some modes and customization (Treasure Battle, Story Mode, and some other poo poo).

Markman will be there but unfortunately so will Maximillian.

Look at the bright side to Maximillian being there. His built in audience has the potential to find the game interesting, maybe buy it, enjoy it, and follow it until Tekken 8 (or Tekken x Street Fighter) comes out, thus giving you more competition online!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Brosnan posted:

That's a real loose definition of "competition" tho

Sure, I get that. Max has the potential to bring in the numbers though. Having more people to play with contributing to a larger player base online — even if they are dumpster fire tier in skill and/or are drooling hugbox idiots, however you want to describe them — is better than having a small player base imo. It introduces more people to fighting games, and could be a gateway for them to get hooked, and maybe actually become decent at whatever they find interesting in a genre that's generally niche compared to most other games. Now I'm not suggesting Tekken 7 won't be popular or anything dumb like that. I just think Max gets a bad rap because of his "MAXIMUM CPM" mentality, personality, and production and that him shilling Tekken 7 is actually a good thing.

[edit]

brian posted:

I'll say this about Max, his series of videos on third strike has brought literally hundreds of players to 3s, who play for about ten minutes every time he releases a video or has a lobby going and whom are well known to make lobbies with bizarre character restrictions and kicking anyone who plays the game remotely well and for that the third strike community thanks him! I've never met a single serious 3S player who started in the last 3 years who got into it because of his videos.

Like I said... potential. :haw:

teagone fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 1, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

If Max were good at fighting games, he'd probably compete. But he's not, and I don't think he has ever admitted such, so he focuses on creating VOD content and streaming (not just fighting game related content either). I don't see how that makes him "bad" in anyway tbh. His antics might not be your cup of tea, which I get, but the dude's just hustlin' to make a living. I can't knock that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

WarEternal posted:

Unlike Capcom, NRS actually seems to improve with every release.

Here's hoping. Everything I've seen so far from Injustice 2 looks great, but I need it on Steam.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

interrodactyl posted:

People have been saying this for years and I have yet to see a single example of a worthwhile fgc member who started because of max

If he gets more people to buy t7 good for namco but don't pretend like it's a net positive for the community when there's been years to bear out this claim without results

Maybe these people exist but it sure doesn't seem like it

Sorry this is from a couple pages back, but people have been saying it because it's likely true. The odds of his fans becoming interested in fighting games and picking it up for themselves is high since he has such a large following. Having this mindset that someone who watches Max's content isn't up to or will never achieve your own standard of what makes a "worthwhile" FGC member doesn't seem right.

Maybe these people are just a group of friends who play together on their own time against one another who got into fighting games because of Max's videos. Maybe that group of friends will eventually attend a big FGC event, or organize something on their own. Or maybe it's a guy or girl who after watching Max's streams, gets the courage to hit up weeklies at some local venue or on a college campus because they see how much fun Max is having. Or maybe it's just a stream monster who has enjoyed watching Max try out new fighting games, but is so loving bad at fighting games themselves that they only ever really watch fighting game streams and die to the CPU in versus mode on easy. Point I'm trying to make is there might be some definitive purview of what defines the "FGC" you and others have, but just because you haven't seen or accepted any kind of conclusive results of people getting into fighting games because of Max doesn't mean they don't exist and can't be members of fighting game community, does it?

As an aside, regarding the potential of Max influencing an online playerbase thru sales, maybe since you're already really good at fighting games, your MMR is so high that you never get to see or get matched up with the hot trash tier skill level that people who enjoy Max's content likely are lmao. But that doesn't mean those scrubs aren't be part of the fighting game community, right? They're bad, and might never git gud, but if they enjoy fighting games and Max's content, there's nothing wrong or bad about that imo.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 2, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cams has openly admitted that Bebop would destroy him though. Has he consistently been ducking, or has Cams beat Bebop in something before?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

anime was right posted:

max sucks because he teaches people objectively wrong things about fighting games

Wrong things like what? [edit] I've only been watching his stream for maybe a year, and I think he's been at this for a while, so my bad if I might have missed something significant.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

anime was right posted:

telling people that parries are not calculated predetermined inputs but instead reaction, off the top of my head, was the dumbest thing.

he doesnt really understand how 3s works. at all.

Fair enough. Own those scrubs who are misinformed then, and if you get the chance, tell them why Max is wrong. But if they were playing 3s in the first place, because of Max, isn't that a net positive for the community?

Countblanc posted:

Anyway my point is that I'm sure Max has inspired some people to actually play games in ways this thread approves of, even if you never hear about it because hwo the heck is going to say "oh yeah I got into the fgc 5 years ago because of yelly wrong nerd man boss rage video."

That's the only way to be sure though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

max's youtube channel would be better if it was just him being beaten with a crowbar

That's twice now I've seen you make a post here today saying you'd like to see violence inflicted on Max, haha. drat dude. That said! Apparently Max is going to be playing the Rev 2 demo tonight. Does the demo include online play? If so, guess anyone interested will have a chance to body him on stream.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Brosnan posted:

Can't wait to body Max on stream, right after I win this battle of the bands against Smashmouth and enter a cookoff to prove Guy Fieri sucks.

Fine analogies, will admit. But at least you actually have a chance to body Max. As if Smashmouth or Guy Fieri would ever entertain the idea of anonymous competition against them. Pffft. PFFFFT.

[edit]

Kwilty posted:

Max strikes me as like the Warowl of Counter-Strike. A streamer that does some weird voice / humor things, has a couple tutorial videos on games etc. When you get the upper levels you realize like "o this guy was never really that good". However, as stated, the FGC should be happy of getting any new people into the games period. To be selective over people joining is just idiotic.

As a guy who has been playing Counter-Strike for well over a decade, I feel this is also a good comparison.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 2, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dog Hausu posted:

yeah, i don't like max either but this is a pretty hosed up thing to say

Username bias.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tekken 7 will be my first Tekken game since I played Tekken 3 when I was maybe 11, so I'm gonna be a woefully lovely scrub getting bodied and would greatly appreciate a dedicated Tekken thread for help. Is PC going to be the more popular platform for the game? I hope so.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

brian posted:

There's also just the whole element of any youtube personality's fans being ridiculously unbearable because they arrogantly assume to know a lot of stuff. Also he attracts the kind of people who want things sanatised and esportsy and celebrity driven and all the ills of modern competitive gaming and can become a bit of an embodiment of the lovely change that's happened to the FGC over the last 5 or so years.

Yes, almost every super popular Twitch streamer or YouTube creator's chat/fans are obnoxious. Don't think anyone would disagree, haha. That's just representative of gaming communities and gaming culture imo; doesn't matter who it is, or what game they play. That said, while it's possible Max does attract the kind of people who want things sanitized/esports-y/celebrity driven, I don't think I've actually ever seen Max say he enjoys or advocates that kind take on gaming himself. He definitely never brings that kind of opinion into his streams to influence his fans with. The closest thing to my knowledge is he had mentioned the only way he felt Street Fighter V could see any kind of long-term success through all the criticism it received is if Capcom goes in hard with the esports angle.

That said, calling people who do enjoy esports driven content the "embodiment of lovely change" just comes off as extremely shortsighted and myopic to me. Sure, esports isn't everyone's cup of tea, and I totally get why some people might not like competitive gaming diving head first into the esports angle — especially with fighting games — but we should be so fortunate that such a niche genre of gaming (that you probably have enjoyed for decades prior) is now getting recognized on a much larger scale for even more people to enjoy.

teagone fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 2, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

brian posted:

It's not fortunate, it attracts a lot of twats who don't really get how to enjoy things regardless of incentive and encourages a lot of people to act like they assume other people want them to for the sake of nothing, it's by far the most damaging thing to community cohesion short of SFV being a terrible game and people who treat it like it's nothing but positives, or even a net positive, are almost always either people not involved in the community or people looking to exploit it. Bandying around words like extremely shortsighted and myopic is the type of thing that neoliberals do in politics too and look how well that works out for changing anyone's mind btw.

But it can also attract people who do know how to enjoy things, right? People who enjoy things properly, without incentive? And I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, nothing like that. I'm just voicing my opinion because I feel like more people could be into fighting games, but aren't because the fighting game community can be so standoffish. Your attitude as an example. In contrast, Max is so vanilla that it's virtually impossible for him to be standoffish, which is why I can say he could be a gateway into fighting games for a lot of people.

But what does my opinion matter, right? I only really got super interested in fighting games about 3 years ago. Played USF4 a lot with goons and a bit of SFV, but haven't a in a while though. In light of that, for the past year or so I've regularly met up with friends every other weekend to play SFV and other fighting games they've introduced me to. Found out I'm really loving bad at anime games and that they actually can tilt me. I've also attended my local big FGC event — Combo Breaker — to show my support for the past two years now. Not sure if I'll be in town for CB this month though :(

Also, I own several firearms and sponsor/support my cousin in his USPSA endeavors. Guess I'm an outlier based on my word usage? :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 2, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

dhamster posted:

I have seen online communities get shittier when they see a big influx of newbies show up, though.

True. You could make the argument that the FGC is already lovely though, or has been and will always be lovely. But the more the merrier, yeah?

Zand posted:

good games don't need people like max to attract players.

This is also true. Blizzard just recently announced Overwatch now has 30 million active players.

[edit] Imagine if SFV had 30 million active players.

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 2, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

dhamster posted:

I mean I don't care if someone is skilled or not, it just seemed like the players who swarmed onto 3s behind Max had a bad attitude?

It's an anecdote from someone who already has a negative predisposition towards Max. Typically, the most vocal opinions are ones with negative bias. Nothing against brian or anything, but like Countblanc mentioned earlier, you're probably never going to see or hear someone say they actually were encouraged or inspired to play a fighting game because of Max anyway. Why would they need or want to? There easily could have also been players who were motivated to fire up 3s after watching Max stream that were decent and chill too and just wanted to run sets normally. You never know.

Smoking Crow posted:

Tons of people play Street Fighter 5

Is this acknowledging :thejoke: or am I being obtuse, lmao.

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 2, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Brosnan posted:

I don't think Max is like, the harbinger of death for the competitive spirit of the FGC, but I do think he's a dude w/ long hair and a goatee who unironically has "d00d" in his name and makes YouTube content for 14 year olds so I also don't feel like I need to bend over backward looking for reasons that he's a Good Thing for fighting games.

People sure do go out of their way to give their reasons why he's bad for fighting games though. Like I said initially, the guy gets a bad rap being a Youtube creator and Twitch streamer, but poo poo, that's his job. Viewership is important in that case, and he needs the numbers to support him and his family. I respect the hustle.

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 2, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Nodoze posted:

Maximillion is awful and like the worst thing about the video content "culture" or whatever you wanna call it

Jump cut editing is worse imo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jmcrofts posted:

I don't really think he's good for the FGC, nor is he obligated to be.

I don't think Max feels like he's obligated to be a good thing for the FGC, or sees himself as such. I'm just basing my argument around what positive aspects his influence could potentially generate.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I got the reference because I shitpost in CineD all the time and love Red Letter Media.

[edit]

AnonSpore posted:

Potentially

I said this at the start of this whole Max tangent :shrug:

I can't wait to be on the receiving end of a beating like that.

I think it was this thread where someone posted a link to a Google document or spreadsheet or something, that had listed the level of difficulty each character in Tekken 7 is, along with other info like which character would fit a certain playstyle and whatnot. I thought I bookmarked it, but I guess not. :( Does anyone still have that? Nevermind, my google-fu is stronger than I thought. For posterity:

https://twitter.com/CKT_Fergus/status/803273095880396800

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 3, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Brosnan posted:

One of the Rip/Level Up Your Game videos talks about "zoning in 3D," which is really just footsies. That's the closest I could find to what you're talking about, but I think what actually happened is that Aris had it on his YouTube channel and it's not there anymore.

Is it this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJEJ8PJXoaM

Aris also has two other "The Basics of Tekken (Tekken 7)" videos on his channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Brosnan posted:

Yeah no, this was in the TTT2 days.

Oh I see. I only managed to find this playlist of TTT2 tutorials on the LevelUpYourGame YT channel. Would those be good videos to watch if I plan on diving head first into Tekken 7? Or will Tekken 7 play completely differently that it wouldn't matter?