Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
What if they cast noted asian actress Tilda Swinton instead of ScarJo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

MisterBibs posted:

Maybe I missed someone answering it with all the white-washing discussion, but has there been a live-action anime movie that has done reasonably well (read: drawn in audiences that would actually know the source anime from any of other anime)?

I guess I can't wrap my head around the existence of this movie on a fundamental level. From what little I half-remember, there's not a great audience for an authentic adaptation, but if you go the take-a-hose-and-rinse-off-all-the-anime route, you're going to catch hell about white-washing and cultural appropriation.

Chronicle and The Matrix basically

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Maybe I missed someone answering it with all the white-washing discussion, but has there been a live-action anime movie that has done reasonably well (read: drawn in audiences that would actually know the source anime from any of other anime)?

I guess I can't wrap my head around the existence of this movie on a fundamental level. From what little I half-remember, there's not a great audience for an authentic adaptation, but if you go the take-a-hose-and-rinse-off-all-the-anime route, you're going to catch hell about white-washing and cultural appropriation.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Attack On Titan Part 2 might legitimately be the worst movie I've ever seen. Some movies are tongue in cheek bad, some don't have the resources, but that one was an ugly swing for the fences, totally whiff, and accidentally kill a fan by letting go of the bat kind of movie.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MisterBibs posted:

Right, but I'd argue that the draw/reception (financially, first and foremost) of an anime movie and an anime-based live action movie are apples and oranges. Adapt the movie 'accurately', and you'll get the half-a-million-according-to-box-office-mojo returns. Adapt it for a broader audience, and people will kvetch over it.

Did you watch Edge of Tomorrow?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Can we PLEASE not make this about the peripheral issue of the race of the actor who plays the fictional character? (Even though, yeah, it's bullshit.) The more important thing is that this movie is going to both poo poo up and dumb down the whole story.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
a) I don't get the problem with Scarjo - Is the Major "Japanese"? She is a cyborg.

b) I have only seen the first GitS and nothing else. And everything I love about that movie won't be done in a Hollywood movie. First off, nudity needs to be made "meh" (which is actually my only issue with Scarjo - will she run around naked when going invisible? Will the camera be obviously trying to avoid her nudity?).

The scenes I love are the more quiet ones, the one where the hacker gets away from Batou in the market and is running down the abandoned street and he is actually looking around here and there with the downtempo music. The scene on the boat. The AMAZING battle between Major and the tank, one of my all time favourite movie sequences. Amazing for it's feeling of one person v machine, again with downtempo music and the whole thing feeling tense and real. No way a Hollywood movie keeps anything like that in them. The meditative feel of GitS is it's main strength and without it will be just another lame action sci fi movie like the new robocop or total recall.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wank posted:

a) I don't get the problem with Scarjo - Is the Major "Japanese"? She is a cyborg.

Correct. A Japanese cyborg. From Japan. Who works for the Japanese government and whose appearance is designed to allow her to fit in in Japan.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

phasmid posted:

The more important thing is that this movie is going to both poo poo up and dumb down the whole story.

The movie will probably be pretty good.

As for this thread, it's now a challenge to see how many times the phrase "Scarlett Johansson is not an Asian" can be repeated, in various permutations, before the heat-death of the universe.

In my opinion, ScarJo is white. She is not a Japanese, and she will never become Japanese. She is Caucasian.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

Correct. A Japanese cyborg. From Japan. Who works for the Japanese government and whose appearance is designed to allow her to fit in in Japan.

Ehh. I always thought they were juxtapositioning the look of the cybernetic Section 9 members against normal "Japanese" people as part of the point of the movie. Like how Batou doesn't look Japanese, I didn't think the Major looked Japanese. They are "otherworldly" in their society. Whereas the background people in the city certainly did look Japanese. To be fair, I have not seen the movie since the 90s, but that is what I took away. Anyway, I don't know how any of this matters to a fictional story. Did anyone complain that Akira Kurosawa didn't cast any Scottish actors in Throne of Blood?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wank posted:

Did anyone complain that Akira Kurosawa didn't cast any Scottish actors in Throne of Blood?

This is a really well thought out, appropriate comparison.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Wank posted:

Except, again, that defense falls flat because the film studio admitted they tried to use CGI to make the actors "look more Asian" instead of just hiring Asian actors. Also the story of pretty much every GitS plot line is heavily tied to Japan's political situation and the military's place in Japanese society and the world at large post WW2.

The whole white washing situation is bullshit, but in this case it's also a Canary in the mine situation where it's pretty obvious that the studio is just using the GitS property to sell a lovely action movie.

I wouldn't be surprised if they try to make a "hacking" scene where the "hacking" is shown as some BS martial arts.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In my opinion, ScarJo is white. She is not a Japanese, and she will never become Japanese. She is Caucasian.

Just as an aside, why do Americans think white people are Caucasian? People from the caucasus are often extremely brown.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
If people are wondering how GITS characters would look like Japanese in real life, there's currently a stage play going on in Japan for GITS Arise:

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Wank posted:

Ehh. I always thought they were juxtapositioning the look of the cybernetic Section 9 members against normal "Japanese" people as part of the point of the movie. Like how Batou doesn't look Japanese, I didn't think the Major looked Japanese. They are "otherworldly" in their society. Whereas the background people in the city certainly did look Japanese. To be fair, I have not seen the movie since the 90s, but that is what I took away. Anyway, I don't know how any of this matters to a fictional story. Did anyone complain that Akira Kurosawa didn't cast any Scottish actors in Throne of Blood?

Wasn't Batou American? He was in the US Army, if I remember correctly...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Wasn't Batou American? He was in the US Army, if I remember correctly...

He was in the Japanese army: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Ground_Self-Defense_Force

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Katreus posted:

If people are wondering how GITS characters would look like Japanese in real life, there's currently a stage play going on in Japan for GITS Arise:

That's a great Aramaki. Could be a little shorter and skinnier, but dudes got the face down pat.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
I really don't think I would have watched this movie, didn't matter who they cast.

Has Hollywood ever done a good movie based on manga/anime/remake of another countries movie?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

hemale in pain posted:

Oh my god do people really think anime characters are drawn for white people and not just stylised faces?

It's usually more of a "Ha ha those stupid loving nips think they're white lol" but yeah

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

EvilElmo posted:

I really don't think I would have watched this movie, didn't matter who they cast.

Has Hollywood ever done a good movie based on manga/anime/remake of another countries movie?

The Departed was good. A lot of people think that Edge of Tomorrow is good.

Western Adaptations seem to work best when they take the basic premise of their target and actually, ya know, adapt it. Which is to say: Adaptations work when you actually adapt them.

You didn't know that The Departed was a remake of a Hong Kong crime drama (maybe, I didn't at first) because they didn't try and just remake the original and hire white actors to play Chinese characters. They took the important details of the story, and put it someplace that American audiences would connect with.

Edge of Tomorrow, similarly, didn't have Tom Cruise play a scrawny, Japanese, greenhorn Private in the JDF who suddenly finds himself reliving the same day over and over again. They took the most important plot points - soldier resets at the same point every time he dies, the enemy's powers, a few notable personal relationships - and then made their own movie that deviates as needed so that it appeals to a western audience.

Off the top of my head, and before heading out to work, I can't think of any other recent and notable examples. This GitS movie however is going the route of the lazy remake. You can easily do a western adaptation of GitS. I mean poo poo, someone else already posted the Wachowski's filmography and showed that they've basically been doing just that in all but name their whole career. A big part of GitS is the Ship of Theseus paradox. When does Major Kusanagi stop being human? Or does she? The idea of human augmentation and human essence is easily doable from a western perspective. You just have to replace the Japanese political theater with something else. And as with The Departed, that's totally doable as well.

BUUUuuuut, we're just getting an action movie with an expensive name slapped on it. Because this is a cashgrab where no one involved actually gives a poo poo about the source material.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Crain posted:

Except, again, that defense falls flat because the film studio admitted they tried to use CGI to make the actors "look more Asian" instead of just hiring Asian actors.
People are willfully ignoring this. Apparently this isn't good enough for some people. I'm wondering what people have to do to prove it's whitewashing as if we're in a court of law. It's as if even proving beyond a reasonable doubt would not be good enough.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Katreus posted:

I'm not a Ghost in the Shell fan or a theatre fan, but I would go see this play if I could. It looks dumb in all the right ways.

Also, as a person who accidentally watched Lucy Liu's anime vampire movie, a bad live-action anime doesn't get any less bad because it has a decent Asian actress. I'd be more worried that the director for this thing is a no-name with only a live action Disney movie to his name rather than of who he cast.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Donnerberg posted:

Also, as a person who accidentally watched Lucy Liu's anime vampire movie, a bad live-action anime doesn't get any less bad because it has a decent Asian actress.

To be fair, if Lucy Liu is in a movie there's a good chance that it's bad.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
The casting is fine, wish they had a better/ more interesting director though.

I'd have loved to see Gits direct by someone like Refn.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

Did you watch Edge of Tomorrow?

Yeah, I did, and loved it. 100mil domestic take versus a 178mil budget hints that only I did, though.

Crain posted:

You can easily do a western adaptation of GitS. I mean poo poo, someone else already posted the Wachowski's filmography and showed that they've basically been doing just that in all but name their whole career

If I was the dude cutting checks for folks to make movies, I'd be really fuckin' worried about giving money to the Wachowski's of late. Whatever you think about their post-Matrix output, the bulk of your potential audience ain't having none of that.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 18, 2016

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Was browsing "user submitted" in imgur last night and someone posted a meme with the shot of Scarlett Jo from GITS and it basically said...

"Could have said no to the role to send a message"
:j:
"But I need the cash"

I broke the first rule of imgur and read the comments and it was pretty much what you would expect.

"Tumblr is leaking"
"She has nice boobs"
"Who cares"
"Anime are white people anyway"
"good for her, she can make money if she wants"
"gently caress you op"

I think the average moviegoer who wants to see this would be more pissed if the character was Asian and had small breasts than white and had large ones.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if this movie's role is to be so loving bad that the american live-action Akira idea is finally put to death forever then I'm all for it

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

If I was the dude cutting checks for folks to make movies, I'd be really fuckin' worried about giving money to the Wachowski's of late. Whatever you think about their post-Matrix output, the bulk of your potential audience ain't having none of that.

I think they did an interview when Jupiter Ascending came out where they basically said "yeah we know this was the last huge budget we were going to get *shrug* it was a good run"

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Katreus posted:

Ol' apeface made me laugh (in a good way), but this is a genuinely great Borma.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

EvilElmo posted:

There's this little film called Star Wars that was pretty good.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

So I don't know how many of you know of Freddie Wong (aka FreddieW of rocket jump on youtube), but he made a video friday about the CGI yellowface.

And he is really, really mad about it (rightfully so).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXEUh61o18c

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
It would be fun if the Major was still Japanese but her new body was (say) a US military model that looked like ScarJo, so the story could deal with representation issues (and also Japanese racism) directly

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

That's a cool Batou and Aramaki.

Clipperton posted:

It would be fun if the Major was still Japanese but her new body was (say) a US military model that looked like ScarJo, so the story could deal with representation issues (and also Japanese racism) directly

Pretty sure they will replace Japan with America in the script, to make all these topics of race simpler for some people in this thread.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 18, 2016

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't bothered about the ScarJo casting until I read about the CGi Asianing. That's dumb.

Tenzarin posted:

That's a cool Batou and Aramaki.
Batou's not nearly ripped enough. He must be 98% muscle
edit: also he's not walking a basset hound

Squallege fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 18, 2016

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Well, when the Benjamin Button guys can't deliver, there's always Option B. The Cloud Atlas yellowface crew are there for you, ready to make things real uncomfortable.

Top row: Hugo Weaving, James D'Arcy, Jim Sturgess,
Bottom: Halle Berry

That's actually the back of Halle Berry's head. They couldn't work with her front on account of the huge bazookas.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 18, 2016

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
That movie at least has a coherent reason for that, which is an integral part of the point of the whole movie. The only characters they do that to are the ones whose actors show up in the other stories. They whiteface the Asian actor at the end of the film.

E: still looks really bad lmbo

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 18, 2016

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Ugh, all these studios trying to cgi their way through everything. Whatever happened to good old fashioned practical effects?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I love that all you need for Cyborg eyes is a pair of swim goggles.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Crain posted:

So I don't know how many of you know of Freddie Wong (aka FreddieW of rocket jump on youtube), but he made a video friday about the CGI yellowface.

And he is really, really mad about it (rightfully so).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXEUh61o18c

Pro-loving-click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Agree the Wachowskis would make a gorgeous, singular movie out of these themes that would probably utterly fail wih both critics and general audiences. Sense8 is basically a 13-episode extended exercise in visually representing the exact types of mind-body divisions and distributed consciousness stuff GitS inhabits.

• Locked thread