Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

7c Nickel posted:

It's about asian people in America.

Well thank god I don't have to care about just some American thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

icantfindaname posted:

That twitter guy's argument is especially hilarious because the opinion of the Japanese left, people like Miyazaki, etc, has always been that technology and industry are terrible because of their intimate connection to the WW2 era Japanese military-industrial complex. The entire point of Akira is that cyberpunk Japan is evil and that the technology is a monster that is sacrificing the Japanese people on an altar of authoritarian military-industry

So yeah, he is actually implicitly endorsing the worldview of the Japanese right by saying that cyberpunk land is the true essence of Japanese-ness and by extension Asian-ness

I don't think he's endorsing technology as being great and the essence of Japanese-ness. He says that the story is built upon Japan's "unique" nature as (circa late 20th century) a country that is intensely pacifist and antimilitary, but also a world leader in technology. I'm not sure if that "unique" perspective point is entirely true, but I think it's a valid read (although I think he's talking more about the manga/anime, because I've only seen the film and the film is mostly about existentialism and cyborgs rather than geopolitics).

To be honest, America already made a very culturally specific American film in the late 20th century about a future of existentialism and cyborgs, so I think that another one is pretty unnecessary.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Donnerberg posted:

I'm not even upset about the white washing. I'm baffled by the thought process that ended up with them exploring CGI Asians because Asians were unsafe.

If the goal is getting asses in seats, and more asses fill more seats when there's a white actor instead of an Asian actor, why turn the white actor Asian? Isn't that the same thing? Assuming the CGI is good enough that you'd go ahead with this ridiculous stunt in the first place, are the unwashed masses going to know the difference... I... I am lost for words. It's a dumb idea on so many levels.

This is a film about human-looking robots. There could well have been a scene where different varieties of the same robot body were shown with different ethnicities. So they would need CGI to show an asian face that was still recognisably ScarJo. Do you really find this concept offensive? Because I practically guarantee that something like that was what the CGI test was for.

Because the alternative is that Hollywood has a secret desire to cast white people in films as asians and then CGI them so that they look asian for the whole film despite how expensive and prohibitive that would be, and the huge outrage it would cause, and the pointlessness of casting a famous face and then making them look unrecognisable. It was never going to happen.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, anybody who thinks Paramount were considering CGI-ing epicanthic folds on Johannson for the entire running time of the movie is a loving lunatic. I'm really curious about what they were actually doing though now.

e: VVV case in point

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Some people decided that the film isn't whitewash and were locked into that position even after that whole CGI yellowface thing came out.

Because to acknowledge that Paramount considered airbrushing white actors so they look asian would mean the people who argued that it's whitewash all along had a point. That's why they buy the revised official story that was only a background actor that got the treatment. That's why we're getting "my animes!" and "singled out". Because by necessity, We Never Had This Conversation Before about whitewashing.

We have every reason to believe this will be a forgettable "gently caress you; it's March" sci-fi action movie, not unlike ScarJo's last sci-fi action movie. ScarJo, when she's not in Marvel, pretty much has a Ryan Reynolds/Chris Pine "let's just throw this person in the movie" role. It's not a passion project. But even so, it seems like people have a stake in defending it.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 4, 2016

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Comrade Fakename posted:

Because the alternative is that Hollywood has a secret desire to cast white people in films as asians [snip]

Well...for most of Hollywood's history this was true.

And it wasn't secret.

And it's pretty much still the case.

Also the Sony leaks prove that Movie execs are really racist in how they deal with movies and their stars. So it's really not that much of a stretch to think that they'd just want the star power of an A list celeb, but also have her be "asian".

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
They already put out a promotional pic of Johansson looking white before this CGI thing even came out for God's sake :psyduck:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Clipperton posted:

They already put out a promotional pic of Johansson looking white before this CGI thing even came out for God's sake :psyduck:

There's no timeline of when the CGI yellowface was being done/ordered for consideration. Plus the amazing thing about CGI is: You can do well after principal photography has completed.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Crain posted:

There's no timeline of when the CGI yellowface was being done/ordered for consideration. Plus the amazing thing about CGI is: You can do well after principal photography has completed.

If you think that there was ever a plan, at any time, to put slanty eyes on ScarJo for the whole movie then you are crazy.

That said, I don't find Paramount convincing either when they say it was just for a 'background character', like there was one extra in a crowd scene they needed to make Asian because :confused:. I doubt we'll ever know the truth but I think Comrade Fakename's idea is probably close to what they had in mind. Which would be pretty cool, because having fluid visible racial markers for the Major would be a new and timely way to approach the themes of 'self' and 'identity' and whatnot that GITS (the '95 movie anyway) is all about, and would at least stand a chance of making this something other than a disposable March action movie.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
1. Studio casts Scarlett Johansson despite some people wishing they cast a Japanese or Asian actress.
2. Tone-deaf film studio sees a small backlash, misunderstands the criticism, and considers digitally airbrushing her to look Asian.
3. People found out about it, gets a slightly bigger backlash, and the studio pretends it didn't happen.

This is the most plausible story. It's not a background actor and it wasn't ScarJo in just "one scene". They wanted to have it both ways (white star/asian character).

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Clipperton posted:

If you think that there was ever a plan, at any time, to put slanty eyes on ScarJo for the whole movie then you are crazy.

Counter-point: Ben Barnes, white as the driven snow and English as all gently caress, was picked up to play the role of a full blooded Colombian in "The Big Wedding". A fairly large production with DeNiro and Robin Williams. They basically put him in Brown face by giving him a spray tan and a Dark Dye job to make him look "Colombian". That was only 3-ish years ago. Hollywood is still not past the point where idiot producers/directors know better than to try and fudge a preferred actor's racial identity instead of just hiring someone of that identity.

I don't see it as much of a stretch that they'd just try and fudge it "a little" in GitS's case.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Echo Chamber posted:

This is the most plausible story

"most outrage-worthy" =/= "most plausible"

e:

Crain posted:

Counter-point: Ben Barnes

"casting a no-name white actor as a probably-mostly-ethnically-Spanish supporting character in a Katherine Heigl movie" =/= "yellowing up the second-highest-paid actress in the world for a leading role"

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 19, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The actual plausible story its that they were using CGI to make various characters look like weirdo robots, as in Star Trek 2009:

But even if there were a full-fledged secret plot to eliminate the Asian race from media, they didn't act on those thoughtcrimes. So why are people upset?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Comrade Fakename posted:

This is a film about human-looking robots. There could well have been a scene where different varieties of the same robot body were shown with different ethnicities. So they would need CGI to show an asian face that was still recognisably ScarJo. Do you really find this concept offensive? Because I practically guarantee that something like that was what the CGI test was for.

Because the alternative is that Hollywood has a secret desire to cast white people in films as asians and then CGI them so that they look asian for the whole film despite how expensive and prohibitive that would be, and the huge outrage it would cause, and the pointlessness of casting a famous face and then making them look unrecognisable. It was never going to happen.

I'm not offended. I thought it was silly beyond reason if it was meant to be for the duration of the movie, which you make a solid point that it can't have been. Unless the idea they were throwing around was to make it like A Scanner Darkly but anime.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Clipperton posted:

"casting a no-name white actor as a probably-mostly-ethnically-Spanish supporting character in a Katherine Heigl movie" =/= "yellowing up the second-highest-paid actress in the world for a leading role"

See I wanna call trolling on this because Ben Barnes is far from some no-name actor. He's was one of the leads, and in one movie the lead of the leads, in the Narnia Series. He played Prince/King Caspian. And in The Big Wedding played one of the leading roles as well. He's half of the drat focus of the story for christ's sake.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

But even if there were a full-fledged secret plot to eliminate the Asian race from media, they didn't act on those thoughtcrimes. So why are people upset?

Because part of it is "Once again, business as usual. Hollywood just wants to hire white actors/actresses regardless of role" level exasperation. The other part is that people don't believe for a second that their reasoning for cancelling it was "This is the wrong thing to do" but rather "Oh god this is so bad that no only will we not get away with it but it makes A. Wyatt Mann cartoons look nuanced and ethical by comparison".

Crain fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 19, 2016

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Crain posted:

See I wanna call trolling on this because Ben Barnes is far from some no-name actor. He's was one of the leads, and in one movie the lead of the leads, in the Narnia Series. He played Prince/King Caspian. And in The Big Wedding played one of the leading roles as well. He's half of the drat focus of the story for christ's sake.

I didn't see The Big Wedding and I'm pretty sure no one else did either so I'll take your word for it

Regarding the no name thing, I just did a straw poll of my office (one of whom actually saw Prince Caspian) and no one had a clue who Ben Barnes was

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Clipperton posted:

I didn't see The Big Wedding and I'm pretty sure no one else did either so I'll take your word for it

Regarding the no name thing, I just did a straw poll of my office (one of whom actually saw Prince Caspian) and no one had a clue who Ben Barnes was

A truly representative poll. You're doing terrific.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Crain posted:

A truly representative poll. You're doing terrific.

n=5 if we're being scientific

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Clipperton posted:

n=5 if we're being scientific

Lmao.

Anyway I will say this: I want to be surprised. I was surprised by Edge of Tomorrow. Which, sans potential yellowface, kind of started out similar to how GitS is with people complaining that they're totally missing the point of the Manga and just going to make a bad movie.

But they did a good job adapting it in the end. So who knows. It's just really not looking like anyone is trying though, and to me we've already seen a few mine canaries fall dead.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of people making the movie, I'm sure it was asked already but how the gently caress are the Wachowskis not directing this?

They already did.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Clipperton posted:

"most outrage-worthy" =/= "most plausible"
It's far from the worst thing, considering all the studios have gotten away with so far.

Also, you have a fixation on the word "outrage".

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Echo Chamber posted:

Also, you have a fixation on the word "outrage".

I have used it exactly once itt

And for actual GITS chat: whoever does the music for this has their work cut out for them, the score for the '95 film was loving gorgeous and did 95% of the emotional heavy lifting for that movie

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 19, 2016

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Clipperton posted:

I want to watch the 1995 movie again now, should I look for the original version or go with the "2.0" version where they made it look more like Innocence?

The CGI in 2.0 looks terrible. I'd go for the original.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Comrade Fakename posted:

This is a film about human-looking robots.

Robocop is human that looks like a human, he does the god drat cowboy gun twirl. Don't forget about the Japanese samurai robots in RoboCop 3.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hollywood Reporter posted:

"Looking at her career so far, I think Scarlett Johansson is well cast," Sam Yoshiba, director of the international business division at Kodansha's Tokyo headquarters, tells The Hollywood Reporter. "She has the cyberpunk feel. And we never imagined it would be a Japanese actress in the first place."

He added: "This is a chance for a Japanese property to be seen around the world." Yoshiba recently returned from a visit to the New Zealand set of the movie, where he says he was impressed by the respect being shown for the source material.

Hollywood Reporter posted:

Meanwhile, some Japanese commentators on Twitter suggested that not too much attention should be paid to the physical appearance of the actress, because the dominant themes in Ghost in the Shell are the nature of identity and cyborgs used to host cyber-brains.

Oh just look at these these poor Japanese people suffering from internalized racism

And if you want to know what Japanese nerds think, they're more annoyed that it's live action in the first place.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Renoistic posted:

The CGI in 2.0 looks terrible. I'd go for the original.

Thanks! That's a shame. I wish they'd left the real-world stuff alone, if they'd just updated the hacking scenes it could have worked out nicely. Original it is!

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Clipperton posted:

I have used it exactly once itt
All of the defenses of the whitewashing here are about the imaginary feelings of imaginary offended people rather than any actual comprehension of what Paramount did.

Like I said, at most I'm jaded and amused at the studio's foolish last ditch attempt to fix the whitewash after they internally realized it was whitewashing. I'm also not too surprised at people (who have little to gain from seeing Paramount profit from this) here who somehow need to defend it and concoct some scenario where it couldn't have been as bad.

I hope those screen tests leak onto the internet before he film's release. I really want to see them now.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Echo Chamber posted:

Like I said, at most I'm jaded and amused at the studio's foolish last ditch attempt to fix the whitewash after they internally realized it was whitewashing. I'm also not too surprised at people (who have little to gain from seeing Paramount profit from this) here who somehow need to defend it and concoct some scenario where it couldn't have been as bad.

i'm not defending anything, it's just that your own concocted scenario is looneytunes. but if you have any real information on what was going on with the screentest feel free to share it, i mean you seem very sure

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 19, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
ScarJo's character will be renamed Major Major Major.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Clipperton posted:

Totally, there's no way they wouldn't realize it's always much more realistic to accomplish the impossible with practical effects.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

much cheaper

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Oh just look at these these poor Japanese people suffering from internalized racism

And if you want to know what Japanese nerds think, they're more annoyed that it's live action in the first place.

She’s going to be an erotic lieutenant.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

am0kgonzo posted:

She’s going to be an erotic lieutenant.

I was puzzled by that one too

Also I don't agree that she can't do "cold", she can be blank as gently caress when she wants to be.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Was there ever a good release for 2.0 Innocence?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Clipperton posted:

i'm not defending anything, it's just that your own concocted scenario is looneytunes. but if you have any real information on what was going on with the screentest feel free to share it, i mean you seem very sure

"They couldn't have done that because that would be a dumb move" is a foolproof counter.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Snowman_McK posted:

"They couldn't have done that because that would be a dumb move" is a foolproof counter.

Clipperton posted:

if you have any real information on what was going on with the screentest feel free to share it

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Screen Crush posted:

After the backlash surrounding Johansson’s role in the film, producers reportedly attempted to quell the controversy with an old standby Hollywood uses to fix a lot of problems: CGI.

According to multiple independent sources close to the project, Paramount and DreamWorks commissioned visual effects tests that would’ve altered Scarlett Johansson in post-production to “shift her ethnicity” and make the Caucasian actress appear more Asian in the film.

Our sources maintain Johansson’s character was specifically the focus of these tests, though they were done without her participation or knowledge.

Despite Paramount’s denial, we stand by the assertion that visual effects tests were performed on Ms. Johansson’s character and likeness.
Either Paramount is lying or the film press if lying. I find it highly unlikely that Screen Crush would make up a story out of thin air.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
I can't believe Masamune Shirow actually allowed Hollywood to make an adaption of this.

He's not quite at the levels of Orson Scott Card and Dan Simmons of batshit insanity, but he has gotten alarmingly close a number of times.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Echo Chamber posted:

Either Paramount is lying or the film press if lying. I find it highly unlikely that Screen Crush would make up a story out of thin air.

None of that is inconsistent with Comrade Fakebot's theory, in fact it fits the facts better, since if the tests were for an alternate cyborg body of the Major's, it'd be true that they were both for Johansson's face (like Screencrush says) AND for a 'background character' (like Paramount claims)...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Clipperton posted:

None of that is inconsistent with Comrade Fakebot's theory, in fact it fits the facts better, since if the tests were for an alternate cyborg body of the Major's, it'd be true that they were both for Johansson's face (like Screencrush says) AND for a 'background character' (like Paramount claims)...

Or alternatively, the same industry that thought Gemma Arterton was a good choice for a movie called "Prince of Persia" and a Swedish guy was a good choice for "Gods of Egypt" and honestly cannot see the problem with casting hispanics as middle easterners actually is kind of dumb when it comes to race.

• Locked thread