Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Their interaction seemed strange, was it basically "Oh thank god her online boyfriend is real, I hope she marry's him quickly!"?

Nah, more like "I'll be away for a good while so you two kids take your time and enjoy yourselves. ;)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Triggerhappypilot posted:

That's the opposite of how telescopes work ffs

It's an artistic license.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Raenir Salazar posted:

Their interaction seemed strange, was it basically "Oh thank god her online boyfriend is real, I hope she marry's him quickly!"?
She's tired of dealing with her child. She's looking to pass her off to the next schmuck.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Netoyome would be the usual way to shorten the name of this show. As in: first two syllables each of two words in the title.

It's written like that: ネト嫁 (Neto in Katakana followed by the Kanji for Yome)

How do you decide which words to shorten? Based on Kanojo Ga Flag wo Oraretara ("Gaworare") and Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai ("Haganai") you would almost expect the shortened title of this one to be "nowajatta", using all of the particles and the ending of the verb. "Yahari, Ore no Seishun Rabu-Comedy wa Machigatteiru" ("Oregairu") uses the ending of the verb, but with the ending itself shortened, removing the "atte" sound in the middle.

On the other hand, based on Saenai Kanojo no Sodatekata ("Saekano") and Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake Ja nai ("Oreimo"), the "first two syllables of the worst two words" theory holds.

In the case of Gaworare, at least, it seemed to be the production company or author that decided on the shortened form of the title, based on next episode previews always starting with the girls going "Gawo! Gawo!", but is that the case for the other non-standard shortenings as well?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I really don't know. It's strange and confiusing.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It's the word combination that still somewhat convey's the title's original meaning. Someone did the syllables thing with Utena a while back as a joke, and while it technically did the syllables thing technically correct, ShoKakuU is also completely unrecognizable in telling you that that it's Utena.

NetoYome is basically Net Wife, which matches the title's concept.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 8, 2016

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I submit that the show should henceforth be referred to as Kill All Normies

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Also mods please change my name to "Tim Desu-Machu"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pavlov posted:

I'm getting the sense that this show is secretly designed to be a cautionary tale about the reluctance people have of seeking mental health treatment in contemporary japanese society.

I hope she gets her schizophrenia meds eventually.

Please don't just throw around schizophrenia like that. It's rude to people who do have that disorder. :(

She has an anxiety disorder, at best.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Unless she's bullshitting, she also has a fundamental inability to distinguish reality from fantasy.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Kytrarewn posted:

How do you decide which words to shorten? Based on Kanojo Ga Flag wo Oraretara ("Gaworare") and Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai ("Haganai") you would almost expect the shortened title of this one to be "nowajatta", using all of the particles and the ending of the verb. "Yahari, Ore no Seishun Rabu-Comedy wa Machigatteiru" ("Oregairu") uses the ending of the verb, but with the ending itself shortened, removing the "atte" sound in the middle.

On the other hand, based on Saenai Kanojo no Sodatekata ("Saekano") and Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake Ja nai ("Oreimo"), the "first two syllables of the worst two words" theory holds.

In the case of Gaworare, at least, it seemed to be the production company or author that decided on the shortened form of the title, based on next episode previews always starting with the girls going "Gawo! Gawo!", but is that the case for the other non-standard shortenings as well?

I dunno about the first one, but in Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai ("Haganai")'s case, it was because it became "I have no teeth/no bite" and Japan loves their puns.

Funny side-note:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQCX6tIzC4

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I think that red chair is my spirit animal.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Pavlov posted:

Unless she's bullshitting, she also has a fundamental inability to distinguish reality from fantasy.

I'm pretty sure she's aware that she can't open a dialogue box interaction window when talking to people. However she also can't stop herself from playing up that angle because she thinks that's the only way of getting people to like her and get their attention.

I used to do something similar with my group of friends, so these sorts of shows always hit a little close to home.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Lmao mom knew she was naked in there

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

good

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The Dub is not strong in this one.

Also, :lol: at these guys and the girl being literal GBS posters, who call it disgusting and will present themselves as hating it while secretly liking it.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Real-life is worse than the end-game in MMOs...

Yeah, that's true. :smith:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

wtf this episode tho
http://i.imgur.com/pXrbtlj.webm

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I bet it's memes. This is memes for sure.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

どうしてこうなった?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Davincie posted:

どうしてこうなった?

:monar:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Julias posted:

The Dub is not strong in this one.

Also, :lol: at these guys and the girl being literal GBS posters, who call it disgusting and will present themselves as hating it while secretly liking it.

Oh so they're using that graphics package for things that Aren't MHA....

Well, ok, whatever floats your boat, Funi.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Does each episode have a meme in it, and I'm just not seeing some of them?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Does each episode have a meme in it, and I'm just not seeing some of them?

100% yes. To be fair, they are Japanese memes.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Wow the protag is having a really hard time confessing to a girl who has straight up told him she wants his dick

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

here's the hosed up part: he's doing good for his kind of mc

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Davincie posted:

here's the hosed up part: he's doing good for his kind of mc

It's true

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

:rip: Rusian

put that poo poo in the op

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The most normie desktop aaahhhh

still many good faces in this show

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Ever since I discovered Fences, I've made something that is a nightmare of IT everywhere and the most meticulous of OCD people.

Not sharing, because I'd never live down what I have on it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Mordaedil posted:

Ever since I discovered Fences, I've made something that is a nightmare of IT everywhere and the most meticulous of OCD people.

Not sharing, because I'd never live down what I have on it.

post your anime babe background

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Is "being a housewife" a thing that real people really say, in this day and age. Just curious.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yes of course

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Ka0 posted:

Is "being a housewife" a thing that real people really say, in this day and age. Just curious.

I take it you've never been to the American Midwest.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

AfroSquirrel posted:

I take it you've never been to the American Midwest.

lucky man

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Ka0 posted:

I wish I was a housewife

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ka0 posted:

It's a pretty common goal in more conservative communities in the U.S., especially religious ones.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

she was making a joke about how she doesnt want to do anything except play games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

jobs are for normies!

• Locked thread