Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

name:
Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta?

real english title, aka not translated by the failsons at crunchyroll or something (all credit goes to Squark):
You thought your online game wife wasn't a girl?

what is it about :
loving bringing death to normies, also online gaming and harem (mid season edit: not actually a harem???) stuff i guess. who cares

characters:

OUR MC, THE HERO, WIFE GETTER Hideki Nishimura
-has wife
-has friends (see them for a split second in the gif)
-proud otaku

THE MAIN GIRL, HUSBAND GETTER & NORMIE HATER EXTRAORDINAIRE
-hates normies
-has acquired a husband
-no sense of netiquette
-stunningly incompetent at both gaming and real life

Akane Segawa
normie :mrapig:

Kyou "Apricot" Goshouin
-the guild leader
-"apricot"
-she rich

other characters:

the traumatic cat girl. using my incredible ability of watching the op, i'm willing to guess it will be the teacher so i'm putting them in the same space

Nanako Akiyama
there's a pink haired girl in the op, she has pink hair, she's in the lineup, she's either playing the game already or will start playing the game

http://i.imgur.com/pXrbtlj.mp4

Davincie fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

z0glin Warchief posted:

It's just a reference to a Japanese internet meme. A: "You're going to do something terrible to me! Just like in an ero doujin!" B: "No I'm not, Jesus Christ." is how it typically goes, according to the niconictionary, you're one stop shop for terrible meme explanations in Japanese.

Speaking of, this:

Is a reference to the Wall Punching Proxy Service, the people who punch walls for you when you see a normie doing normie things and need to punch a wall, but either don't have a wall to punch, or don't have the muscles with which to punch one.

thank you

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

personally i hope she goes full on normie hater

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ako may be a terrible gamer, but she's a great yandere

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

tbf her having an actual knife would make the whole club advisor thing significantly more awkward even if it would line up better with old japanese internet urban legends

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Pavlov posted:

^^^ I don't think the posters here are ready to accept me as one of them yet.

you are a failtard

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

epic ep

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Pavlov posted:

I'm getting the sense that this show is secretly designed to be a cautionary tale about the reluctance people have of seeking mental health treatment in contemporary japanese society.

I hope she gets her schizophrenia meds eventually.

no gently caress off

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

Wait, are we calling this Netoge? I've been referring to it as Netoyome because Netoge just means online games.

netoge is what every english translation uses so i went with that

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

good

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

wtf this episode tho
http://i.imgur.com/pXrbtlj.webm

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

どうしてこうなった?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

here's the hosed up part: he's doing good for his kind of mc

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yes of course

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

NTR NTR NTR

or not since they solved that in a sensible way within 5 minutes.
they should have translated game players as gamers, also don't stop watching at the credits, there's another scene set during them!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the episode was pretty meh jokewise, i liked

and the yaranaika moon tho

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

What Japanese memes did they show?

ill steal someone elses post for this
Here's this week's little comedic jabs:

The main one is this scene when Ako screams something along the lines of :

Andaa gittan disukaa!?

Ako is actually trying to say, "Are you betraying me !?" in this scene. This is actually a 12-year-old meme, specifically from a tokusatsu (superhero) live action series called Kamen Rider Blade in 2004. The actual meme phrase is:

Onduru ruragittan disukaa!?

It's a fan-made language called "Ondul Language" or "Ondulish," which stems from bad enunciation by the actor of the protagonist -- Kazuma Kenzaki -- when he was getting beat up by the antagonist in episode 1, with his ally watching and not helping. He questions if his ally has really turned his back on him.

"Hontou ni uragittan desuka!?"
(Have you really betrayed us!?)

...was the actual phrase, but the actor's poor pronunciation produced this meme.

Here is the (in)famous scene, with the phrase being at the very, very end. The franchise has embraced the meme, using it as subtle jokes in later series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgoIAdJN80A

In fact, that video has another famously meme'd line:

Naze miterun desu!!
(Why are you watching!!)

If someone frequents Japanese boards or comments, they'll see this phrase often when a character is just watching when something is happening, using the characters: ナズェミデルンディス!!

Other than that, they're all just pretty subtle comedic parodies.

Here is the pork reading a book who's title is: "Buront Words You Want To Say Out Loud."

Buront-ism is another internet "language" that was popularized by a poster on 2ch called Buront (simple enough). He had very unusual phrases with a brash attitude, and that made him, as well as his way with words, quite popular.

When you see phrases like:

"Kita! Tate kita!" "Main tate kita!" "Korede katsuru!"
(He's here! The tank/shield is here! The main tank/shield is here! We're going to win now!)

and

Kitanai sasuga ninja kitanai.
(Dirty. As expected from a ninja. Dirty.)

...you can be sure that the origin came from this Buront, who was a fan of FF11 and Guilty Gear.

there was a bleach reference too

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Xfp8NY-q8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOZj_Nyk3pQ&t=173s

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie