Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I find myself remembering 'Bunny and Kitty' and 'outside bones' and just collapsing in a fit of giggles at work these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SEX BURRITO posted:

I heard it as poorpets. Someone watch with subtitles and settle this!

Also, someone online noted that Gretchen looks quite a bit like Michelle Duggar. Can't stop seeing it now.

The mole women's look is based on the FLDS women. I'd say the situation was based on that Cleveland poo poo but I think that happened after it started development. I know Tina Fey's been working on it for a while.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

esperterra posted:

And god, Jane Krakowski is so good in everything always.

They did a musical episode and she only sang one line. Shocking.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I loved season 1 but I have to say I had somewhat of a hard time getting through season 2, and I'm not sure why. I think a big reason is I don't like Jacqueline and this season had a huge emphasis on her. It also kind of seemed all over the place with the plotlines and didn't accomplish much. Still plenty of great jokes though, and I'm sure it will improve on a rewatch.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I loved season 1 but I have to say I had somewhat of a hard time getting through season 2, and I'm not sure why. I think a big reason is I don't like Jacqueline and this season had a huge emphasis on her. It also kind of seemed all over the place with the plotlines and didn't accomplish much. Still plenty of great jokes though, and I'm sure it will improve on a rewatch.

For me, a lot of it was that I wasn't quite sure when the episode was going to end on the first watch. Since UKS was going to be on NBC originally, it was in the normal 20 minute format, which I was used to. The longer episodes threw me off on when to expect what and I'd keep pausing to see how much was left. It didn't bother me the second time through.

Then again, I liked most of the season 2 Jacqueline stuff.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Xealot posted:

I don't put it past Tina Fey. Between this and 30 Rock, there are probably dozens of cross-references to Mad Men. Also relevant to this point: Anna Camp played Bethany Van Nuys, a woman Don dates after divorcing Betty who's essentially a younger version of Betty.

(Another instance: Lillian at one point drinks a tallboy can of "Old Spanish," a fictitious drink that first appeared on 30 Rock, and that a character orders on Mad Men as a nod to that. It's apparently red wine, tonic water, and olives...which sounds absolutely disgusting.)

One of the last episodes of Mad Men actually had a direct reference to Kimmy Schmidt (Don Draper reading The Andromeda Strain).

FactsAreUseless posted:

There are plenty of recycled 30 Rock jokes, probably accidentally. The joke about the top half of a baby being better because it has the face is a 30 Rock bit.

"What white nonsense is this?" is from 30 Rock, too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

So I am finally watching 30 Rock and all it is doing is reinforcing my belief I should marry Tina Fey, she is a nice Greek lady and my family would approve.

And god, Jane Krakowski is so good in everything always.

I'll fight you to the death for Tina Fey.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ohhhh... uh... guys... I... um... I dunno how to tell you this... but Tina's.... um.... she....

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Ohhhh... uh... guys... I... um... I dunno how to tell you this... but Tina's.... um.... she....
Gay? I could tell from her shoes.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Gay? I could tell from her shoes.

She's an escritoire?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
As if any of you could compete with the man that wrote Daddy's Boy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jscolon2.0 posted:

Women do go for men who like kids.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

My best recollection of Jane Kraowoski on Ally McBeal was being a watered down Cheryl Tunt for broadcast television.

My only disappointment with this season was that astronaut Mike Dexter didn't show up in Titusville.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

jscolon2.0 posted:

Did her husband actually write the music for Daddy's boy? Because if so that man is a keeper.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Did her husband actually write the music for Daddy's boy? Because if so that man is a keeper.

The lyrics may have come from the writer's room, but he absolutely covered the arrangement and there's a nonzero chance he helped with the lyrics, since his wife runs that room and he also directs for the show.

In fact, he directed the episode that unleashed Daddy's Boy upon an unsuspecting world, so yeah, you might as well give the man plenty of shine for it.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

He wrote Muffin Top and Werewolf Bar Mitzvah, Jeff Richmond is a treasure.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Indeed he is. I hope we have a musical episode written by him in season 3.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I hope that no shows ever do musical episodes, so I guess we cancel each other out

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

ALFbrot posted:

I hope that no shows ever do musical episodes, so I guess we cancel each other out

Except for a Cop Rock reboot.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

theflyingexecutive posted:

He wrote Muffin Top and Werewolf Bar Mitzvah, Jeff Richmond is a treasure.

I know he did pretty much all the arranging on 30 Rock and UKS, but did he write Rural Juror?

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

The 'Roar Her, Gem Her'?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dave Angel posted:

The 'Roar Her, Gem Her'?

It's sequel, Urban Furor is better.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Hopefully this isn't much of a necro (pulled this out of my bookmarks), and a totally unhealthy, bad for you, borderline gross confirmation: Titus's suggestion of sticking a straw into your movie popcorn and running the liquid butter through that straw totally works at getting more of your popcorn buttered.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

That is really disgusting.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Doctor Butts posted:

But that's how you get nutrition on all the popcorn.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Doctor Butts posted:

You're not drinking the butter flavored edible oil product using the straw.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I churn my own butter and bring it to the theater in a camelbak.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jabro posted:

I churn my own butter and bring it to the theater in a camelbak.

Where do you put your vodka, then?!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

You're not drinking the butter flavored edible oil product using the straw.

Yeah, I just stuck the straw about a third of the way down the bag, had the butter stuff flow down the straw, and then tossed the straw. Gravity did the rest, and it saturated the popcorn rather well.

I did it half as a gag and half out of curiosity, but it actually worked.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Titus drank the butter out of the bag.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

"Butter"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Rewatching the show, I think one of my favorite aspects is Lillian and Jacqueline's friendship. They bounce off of each other really well.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Not really loving this season, but as a Mets fan from New York with a Catholic family, holy poo poo that dinner scene. I was crying.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Timeless Appeal posted:

Not really loving this season, but as a Mets fan from New York with a Catholic family, holy poo poo that dinner scene. I was crying.

Reminded of the St Paddy's Day ep of 30 Rock, when Dennis crashed at Liz's place after getting hurt:

"Irish pride! Go Celtics! Celtics sucks! Go Knicks!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really wish this show was actually about Kimmy Schmidt instead of being The Jacqueline Show, featuring some people she knows.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

I really wish this show was actually about Kimmy Schmidt instead of being The Jacqueline Show, featuring some people she knows.

Yeah, for this reason this season was a massive letdown for me. Jacqueline is funny for Kimmy to react to, not on her own.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Except Jacqueline missed like 5 episodes?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The show definitely changed into being more of an ensemble piece. Every character had plots that spanned several episodes and had pretty solid resolutions.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember this season being especially Jacqueline-focused. And I pay attention when Jane Krakowski is on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I don't remember this season being especially Jacqueline-focused. And I pay attention when Jane Krakowski is on screen.

There are several episodes in the first half where she gets more screen time than Kimmy. She's also the one with the most prominent and consistent storyline.

I really feel her character doesn't even fit with what makes the premise of this show interesting, she feels like she's from a totally different show. So seeing an increased focus on her is really disappointing.

• Locked thread