Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Lurdiak posted:

There are several episodes in the first half where she gets more screen time than Kimmy. She's also the one with the most prominent and consistent storyline.

I really feel her character doesn't even fit with what makes the premise of this show interesting, she feels like she's from a totally different show. So seeing an increased focus on her is really disappointing.

Like she is a spoiled actress from a late night variety TV show that got amnesia and now thinks she is Native American?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

So much Krakowski is why I loved S2 as much as I did, tbh.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

esperterra posted:

So much Krakowski is why I loved S2 as much as I did, tbh.

Her rivalry with Anna Camp is one of the best parts of this season, honestly.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Something I noticed re-watching season one:

I thought when Kimmy was joking with Dong, and talking about how everyone drinks so much water, that it was a one-time joke. But watching it over, Kimmy is offered "a water", by just about everyone she meets.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Xealot posted:

Her rivalry with Anna Camp is one of the best parts of this season, honestly.

Yeah, I really hope Camp returns next year. Hopefully with more screen time.

Fluorescent
Jun 5, 2011

재미있는 한국어.
I liked Jacqueline, but it was pretty weird for me seeing her plot get about as much movement and attention as Kimmy's stuff. It's really not as serious and much harder to care about when you've got things like Kimmy trying out therapy for the first time. I know this is a comedy show but it still seemed like a weird tone shift. I guess you need something lighter for the standard American who is terrified of any mention of trauma, though.

Was Tina Fey's character supposed to have DID or was that all a metaphor for substance addiction?

Fluorescent fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 23, 2016

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I liked the Jacqueline stuff. It's fun to laugh at dumb rich people stuff. Plus, having her in the show means we got Mimi Kanasis and the crazy housewife, so I'm happy.

I think it's nice to have someone who is just cynical and pretty awful in contrast to Kimmy. When you have a main character who is perky and cartoonish, it gets pretty annoying if they're the centre of every storyline. Like in New Girl. Zoey Deschanel gets tiresome very quickly when she's overused.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

text editor posted:

I find that life is mostly grey areas, especially the places I can't reach with moisturizer

Kimmy: Life is full of grey areas.
Dong: Sophia's is enormous.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Captain Lavender posted:

I thought when Kimmy was joking with Dong, and talking about how everyone drinks so much water, that it was a one-time joke. But watching it over, Kimmy is offered "a water", by just about everyone she meets.

I thought the water thing was really weird, especially since she always refuses the water

I was expecting one of the last jokes in the season to be Kimmy finally accepting and drinking some water and excitedly shouting "Oh my gosh water is DELICIOUS!!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Kimmy and Dong bonding over how much they hate the obsession with 'staying hydrated' was pretty hilarious, and this comes from a guy who drinks 1-3 bottles of water a day.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I was pretty disappointed in Titus this season. To me he just seemed to be phoning it in this go around.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Stumpus posted:

I was pretty disappointed in Titus this season. To me he just seemed to be phoning it in this go around.

This is a season that contains his Trident audition.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ALFbrot posted:

And his relationship with Mikey which was more compelling than any of the other story arcs this season

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Stumpus posted:

I like depressed Titus. Drinking key lime wine and giving haircuts to Barbies is a great way to live. But I also loved him meeting Mikey's family, and enjoyed the flashbacks to his old life. It was only the Titusville stuff that I thought was kind of tedious.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

ALFbrot posted:

That was great but it was no skin tag song. I just thought he had more energy in season 1.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Stumpus posted:

You do not define him, Stumpus
He cannot be owned
And if I had my way, Stumpus
You would die alone

Eaten by birds
Digested by birds
Shat out by birds
Alone

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

S2 was pretty incredible overall but Amy Sedaris' physical comedy was just mindblowing

because i haven't seen it posted despite multiple old requests...

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

S2 was pretty incredible overall but Amy Sedaris' physical comedy was just mindblowing

Amy Sedaris is so awesome!

I loved this season. I loved that there was more Jaqueline. I loved every single thing about it.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

SEX BURRITO posted:

I like depressed Titus. Drinking key lime wine and giving haircuts to Barbies is a great way to live. But I also loved him meeting Mikey's family, and enjoyed the flashbacks to his old life. It was only the Titusville stuff that I thought was kind of tedious.

Actually, as a former resident of Titusville, I probably gave that storyline an automatic pass. I can see being let down by it without that personal connection.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Whenever I get bored walking around I like to embarrass my girlfriend and start dancing and singing "chandelier!"

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Captain Lavender posted:

I can kind of sympathize. Earlier this evening I stopped by a local restaurant, placed a to go order, and they offered me some water while I wait. FFS, I can go upwards of 5 to 10 minutes without drinking anything, without dying from dehydration.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jul 21, 2016

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Man, Amy Sedaris is just crushing it on this show and Bojack Horseman.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Personally I rewatched all of S1 and S2 again recently and I think S2 was better. Feels like the show found its voice a bit, S1 starts out great but loses steam by the end.

theflyingexecutive posted:

He wrote Muffin Top and Werewolf Bar Mitzvah, Jeff Richmond is a treasure.

I thought that was Donglover

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Thank you

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Does anyone have a gif of the "She isn't worth it, Quenstopher!" moment from s2 e5?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I just got on the UKS train a couple weeks ago and it's fudging awesome!

Having gone through 2 seasons in a short time, my biggest takeaway was that even though S1 was really great, S2 was amazing. Somehow it got even MORE heart. Some of the comedy, especially the stuff with Kimmy's past and them addressing it, was so dark but so real that the show seemed less cartoonish, and that's in a season with an actual cartoon dream sequence and a puppet as a live person character. Reading the threads I know some people were put off by them addressing the darker aspects of Kimmy's life in the Bunker and were happier if they just skirted it, but the show is so much stronger when they hit that. Hamm comes off as a loveable doofus till he just turns it on a dime and becomes scary as gently caress.

I also saw a lot of people were not happy with the Native American stuff, but what I like is that Jackie-Lynn is an even BETTER representative of Native Culture because she's NOT a stereotype, and she proves that even Indians born and raised on a Reservation can actually become shallow materialistic assholes as good as any white person can. Her arc is great, especially where she becomes friends with people like Kimmy and Lillian. At the same time, Andrea was a good foil to this--someone Kimmy could NOT fix, who (so far) has not become one of her circle.

Entropic posted:

I thought the joke was just that it was an off-brand somehow-worse Olde English.

The one great Mad Men reference is when Kimmy says to Gretchen "The Reverend was a psycho liar who claimed he came up with the Buy The World a Coke commercial!"

Also "Hey, it's Dick!"

13 episode seasons loving suck yo. Can't wait til this comes back.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I just assumed Drew Baird and the Reverend are illegitimate Don Kids left in his wake.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Astroman posted:

I just got on the UKS train a couple weeks ago and it's fudging awesome!

Having gone through 2 seasons in a short time, my biggest takeaway was that even though S1 was really great, S2 was amazing. Somehow it got even MORE heart. Some of the comedy, especially the stuff with Kimmy's past and them addressing it, was so dark but so real that the show seemed less cartoonish, and that's in a season with an actual cartoon dream sequence and a puppet as a live person character. Reading the threads I know some people were put off by them addressing the darker aspects of Kimmy's life in the Bunker and were happier if they just skirted it, but the show is so much stronger when they hit that. Hamm comes off as a loveable doofus till he just turns it on a dime and becomes scary as gently caress.

I also saw a lot of people were not happy with the Native American stuff, but what I like is that Jackie-Lynn is an even BETTER representative of Native Culture because she's NOT a stereotype, and she proves that even Indians born and raised on a Reservation can actually become shallow materialistic assholes as good as any white person can. Her arc is great, especially where she becomes friends with people like Kimmy and Lillian. At the same time, Andrea was a good foil to this--someone Kimmy could NOT fix, who (so far) has not become one of her circle.

Also "Hey, it's Dick!"

13 episode seasons loving suck yo. Can't wait til this comes back.

"You put that mad man in jail"

Unrelated: "That foot has a toe ring on it. I'm in the 90s!"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

PotatoJudge posted:

"You put that mad man in jail"

Haha, holy poo poo I never got that

Winters Holy Hand
Mar 10, 2007
Threadkiller
Hair Elf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpiJGd8EL8M

The teaser for Season 3 is now up. Starts May 19th.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Whoa, wasn't expecting that so soon. Rad

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...Mikey and Titus better not have broken up during the hiatus!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gaz-L posted:

...Mikey and Titus better not have broken up during the hiatus!

Beyonce and Jay-Z are still together, so if Titus is Lemonading they're probably going to be okay.

Edit: also, everyone please watch Titus's Hamilton audition if you haven't already https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9F--W1BWeME

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Feb 19, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I can't wait :f5:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

This advert on the London Underground keeps making me wish for season 3.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Edit: also, everyone please watch Titus's Hamilton audition if you haven't already https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9F--W1BWeME

"Rappy rappy rappy rap, this is me rapping"

I love him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Red Oktober posted:

This advert on the London Underground keeps making me wish for season 3.

Does England even get a winter? I always though it just fluctuated between like 50-80 degrees the entire year.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

KilGrey posted:

"Rappy rappy rappy rap, this is me rapping"

I love him.

"I died in a duel I thiiiiiink~!"

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Does England even get a winter? I always though it just fluctuated between like 50-80 degrees the entire year.

It gets down to about 40F on the regular, coldest this year so far has been 12F. We don't get long protracted snows like the east coast though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Solice Kirsk posted:

England's winter last for a good 7 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

To be fair, London wouldn't usually get hit with much of a Winter but the North of England would get colder weather.

• Locked thread