Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CelestialScribe posted:

Squirrel photos.

I have quietly sung "Unbeatable, she's a squirrel dammit!" to myself. I could see Ellie Kemper as Doreen Green.

I love the off the cuff wordplay of everything, Yappy Endings, or Titus offhanded comment "Micky Mousing hasn't been a thing in the community for a while now.."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Lillian continues to be the best. Or at least was, until Andrea showed up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Holy poo poo, that's a crazy referance

"The Reverend said he invented the "I'd like to buy the world a coke" commercial", when at the end of Mad Men, Don Draper does come up with the that commercial.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Escobarbarian posted:

Not totally feeling this after 5 episodes. Ep 4 was the best so far though, really dug that one.

Yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat. It's amusing at times but nothing really funny for me so far.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Why is it gross?

It's a bit of a sticking point for me since I'm from an area where there was a notable Native population and I'm part Native (1/4th, not some "i'm 1/16th Cherokee" stuff). The whole "haha indians" thing feels like it's punching down a bit too much, even for a Tina Fey show.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Which one is the original?

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

IMO the episodes with Tina Fey are the best because they actually address how therapy works and how it's a process. It's perhaps the healthiest take on mental health I've ever seen in a TV show, even if it's couched in the hilarious antics of an alcoholic.

Also using "childish" tools is totally a trick of the trade for therapists. Right now I'm doing coloring books every day to help me relax in a more constructive manner, on my therapist's recommendation.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Vanderdeath posted:

It's a bit of a sticking point for me since I'm from an area where there was a notable Native population and I'm part Native (1/4th, not some "i'm 1/16th Cherokee" stuff). The whole "haha indians" thing feels like it's punching down a bit too much, even for a Tina Fey show.

At least two of the writers are Lakota Sioux and set up the Native American storylines though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Only three episodes in, and I'm narrowing "best gag thusfar" down to:

- The squirrel bit, as many have pointed to.

- Grim Dollar Store

- TILDA

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Vanderdeath posted:

I only had time to watch one episode but I really hope they stop with the Karen is a Native American storyline because it's all sorts of gross. Other than that, I'm happy this show is back.

You know her Native American parents are comedians, right? And at least some of the jokes are their own jokes, not something written for them?

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
Haven't finished the whole season yet, but I love just how weird this show is willing to get. Like the cartoon interlude that basically turns into Happy Tree Friends and the old man puppet at Mikey's family dinner were amazing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

eschaton posted:

You know her Native American parents are comedians, right? And at least some of the jokes are their own jokes, not something written for them?

Yea, I liked how in the first season they played with a lot of stereotypes of Native Americans.

"We came on the metal bird...hah, I was in the airforce".

I liked the subtle guest stars, like Joshua Jackson

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

There is a lot of singing on this show, which is uncharacteristically great.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

eschaton posted:

At least two of the writers are Lakota Sioux and set up the Native American storylines though.

I knew about the comedians, but I had no idea about the writers, which is actually really cool! I apologize if I came across as pissy, I just come from a small place where there's nasty behavior towards the Native population.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I didn't even hear about people making GBS threads on that storyline last season. The only parts I didn't care about last year were the scenes with Kimmy's rich boyfriend.

This show is great and probably my favorite of Tina Fey's Very Efficient Joke Delivery Devices. Ellie Kemper is so loving perfect for this it's crazy.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 16, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I liked the subtle guest stars, like Joshua Jackson

Or Dean Winters and Will Arnett as Bunny and Kitty.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

There is a lot of singing on this show, which is uncharacteristically great.

The musical numbers this season have been awesome. Even the peppy background music really fits the tone of the show.

Can't believe I'm almost done with this season. It was such a long wait.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh my god Episode 9 is so good.

TRUTH. Fey loving crushes this role because of course she does.

Gyre posted:

IMO the episodes with Tina Fey are the best because they actually address how therapy works and how it's a process. It's perhaps the healthiest take on mental health I've ever seen in a TV show, even if it's couched in the hilarious antics of an alcoholic.

I haven't jumped into the meat of it yet (just finished episode 9), but one thing I like is that when most shows introduce a therapist character, it's usually a flat, even-toned professional, because he's there for the protagonist to have a unique sounding board and catalyze some revelations. Making Andrea into her own character right off the bat -- never mind someone whose unique damage slots her so perfectly into this world and gives Kimmy something to bounce off of -- tells me right off the bat that they're going to do something really cool and different with her scenes.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Illinois Smith posted:

I didn't even hear about people making GBS threads on that storyline last season. The only parts I didn't care about last year were the scenes with Kimmy's rich boyfriend.

But he also brought us Daddy's Boy. And as a result was sorta responsible for Daddy's Boy the musical play in season 2!

And yeah, Ellie Kemper is perpetually knocking stuff out of the park.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'm glad this show is taking a "gently caress the haters" approach to internet criticism.
Eh, I prefer just ignoring them to getting all preoccupied with them the way e3 was.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Or Dean Winters and Will Arnett as Bunny and Kitty.

Yea, that completely killed me.

Is Kimmy driving the stolen police car for her Uber job?

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
The Pupazza reveal in episode 10 killed me. I'm dead.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Oh my god Mimi Kanasis is a literal cartoon character.

And I will laugh every time the robot nanny appears in a scene / Kimmy randomly burps mid conversation.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
"You know what Deidre, I just remembered, I need to rush out of here making weird panic noises."

This is something I actually have more or less said and done. Partially for some comedic effect but mostly because I did actually have to rush out in a panic.

Also Anna Camp's character is loving hilarious.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Fast Luck posted:

Eh, I prefer just ignoring them to getting all preoccupied with them the way e3 was.

I'm not surprised Tina Fey had some sort of mention on it on her show. She's an amazingly funny woman who hires a diverse cast of writers and actors, yet gets total poo poo from the Tumblr crowd. It must be frustrating to have everything you create be over analysed.

I thought the protestors were pretty spot on with their stupid infighting and the white guy hanging round them who was 'transracial'.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I want to make Titus' reaction to the internet an avatar so badly, but the scene is too long.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
They made some very bold choices in the final episode, directly referencing twitter hashtags.

God, what kind of crazy future do we live in?

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Amy Sedaris and Tina Fey were the best. Anna Camp too.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Really enjoyed the ending. I like how he called himself "Dick", felt like another reference to Mad Men

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
This show has some amazing physical comedy, but I think Amy Sedaris flipping out of her shoes as she ran onto the carpet may be my favorite.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I get this argument a lot, and the short version of my response is that people of color aren't ambassadors for their entire community. Works for any marginalized social category. I don't get to call people faggots because I sleep with men, and it's just suddenly okay, guys, because I totes blow dudes, calm down, take a joke.

The even shorter version is that jokes about "beaners" aren't magically funny just because Carlos Mencia is telling them.

I love Tina Fey, but she definitely has that white feminism problem of thinking she's above reproach because she's marginalized, so she thinks nothing she says can marginalize others.

It bothers me, and a lot of other people, but it doesn't ruin the show for me. I just groan at those parts and move on to the rest of the awesome show.

I also dig how therapy is being treated so far, and how Tina's playing an actual character, and therapy isn't shown to be either total bullshit or magic. That stuff is pretty sweet. You take the negative with the positives.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You totally can, actually. Go hog wild. There are TV specials, movies and entire festivals all about it.

People didn't like Mencia doing it because he's pretending to be Mexican. And the joke stealing. You don't hear people complaining about George Lopez doing it.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 17, 2016

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The muppet grandma in episode 10 has gotten the biggest laugh out of me. "Is that a person?"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

I get this argument a lot, and the short version of my response is that people of color aren't ambassadors for their entire community. Works for any marginalized social category. I don't get to call people faggots because I sleep with men, and it's just suddenly okay, guys, because I totes blow dudes, calm down, take a joke.

People of color are ambassadors for their entire community, that's kinda the whole point of art. There's a big division between people who want to believe that they are the sole gatekeepers of their cultural traditions and those who want those traditions to be experienced and expressed by people who didn't grow up with them.

Please tell me about your opinion of the use of the n-word in rap. :allears:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

The even shorter version is that jokes about "beaners" aren't magically funny just because Carlos Mencia is telling them.

I love Tina Fey, but she definitely has that white feminism problem of thinking she's above reproach because she's marginalized, so she thinks nothing she says can marginalize others.

It bothers me, and a lot of other people, but it doesn't ruin the show for me. I just groan at those parts and move on to the rest of the awesome show.

I also dig how therapy is being treated so far, and how Tina's playing an actual character, and therapy isn't shown to be either total bullshit or magic. That stuff is pretty sweet. You take the negative with the positives.
It seems like the show makes a point of showing that these characters aren't stereotypes: the lines in the first season about the airforce, etc. I guess I don't get how they're offensive portrayals, especially given how Native Americans are usually used in media.

Mencia's jokes are offensive because they're just a bunch of tacos and illegals jokes being regurgitated. These aren't the same thing at all, even on an "ironically embracing the steteotypes" level.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

LividLiquid posted:

You sound as if the Native Americans in this show are some sort of 1800s stereotypes who are only there to be laughed at.

The Whites are a loving and honest family who love their daughter even though she was always superficial and rebellious. And when she returned, she acted like she thought she was supposed to. Unfortunately she never really knew her own culture, so she just acts like what she saw in media, making her basically an incompetent caricature. I always sort of liked that story. While a lot of white people claim to be part native just to appear deeper and more interesting, she did the opposite and completely erased that part of her, because being distinct would get in the way of her dreams.

She basically forced herself into being the most shallow person imaginable. That is actually reflected this season by the other trophy wife. But in her case it's high intelligence and broad knowledge instead of heritage.

All things considered, that plot is actually quite great. And the only thing which might be objectionable about it is that the actress herself isn't a native. But that's a stupid thing to get hung up on, because writers are more important for dialogue than the person acting it out. So in that sense having writers who are familiar with the culture really does make a difference.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The joke is always on the White Idiot.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm really not interested in arguing about my opinion. Somebody asked why I thought a thing was gross, so I told them.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

"I have an opinion, but at the slightest bit of resistance, I openly pout about it instead of having a discussion."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

People of color are ambassadors for their entire community, that's kinda the whole point of art. There's a big division between people who want to believe that they are the sole gatekeepers of their cultural traditions and those who want those traditions to be experienced and expressed by people who didn't grow up with them.

Please tell me about your opinion of the use of the n-word in rap. :allears:

People are ambassadors of their personal experiences in art. Those are shaped directly by their cultural identity, so it features fairly often. But no one should be seen as the mouthpiece for their entire community.

I didn't mind the Native American storyline, but I thought the meta joke this season was a bit painful. Every time a comedian is criticized on a random corner of the internet and decides to make fun of those critics from their much more public platform, it comes off really petty. It's like the 90s Godzilla movie where Roland Emmerich made the mayor a stand in for Roger Ebert and made him the butt of some lovely jokes before violently killing the character.

Edit:

"I have an opinion, but at the slightest bit of resistance, I openly pout about it instead of having a discussion."

Or exactly like this.

• Locked thread