Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I also think that Fey gets some unfair scrutiny, because her work is labeled "progressive" comedy, so it gets attacked from the left and the right for any failures (perceived or real) to be progressive enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

On the other hand, that's not really a response to criticism as much as it is to guesses about its motivation, so

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I also think that Fey gets some unfair scrutiny, because her work is labeled "progressive" comedy, so it gets attacked from the left and the right for any failures (perceived or real) to be progressive enough.

That's pretty fair, too. This show was latched onto really quickly for having somewhat feminist values and looking at trauma survivors in a pretty honest way, so the "serious" critiques came pretty fast. At least the one man show was still funny. But the whole "Milennials learn to stop being 'fake' offended" bit felt like a joke from South Park five years ago. It came off as them saying there was no way there were any valid points about Jacqueline's story, it was all just Tumblr kids.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Yeah "Big Bang Theory still racist and sexist" isn't as clickbaity as "you won't believe how problematic this show about a woman overcoming trauma is!"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

theflyingexecutive posted:

"I have an opinion, but at the slightest bit of resistance, I openly pout about it instead of having a discussion."
I am neither pouting, nor am I required to educate a bunch of people I don't know because they disagree with my opinion. I tried that a lot about a year ago, and I wound up just melting down all the time because the intent was clearly to convince me that nothing is ever racist or sexist or in any way hosed up all dressed up in the guise of an actual discussion.

I really don't see how finding one element of a show I otherwise love troublesome merits this, and even said that it didn't ruin the show for me, that I love Tina Fey despite this issue, and that I just groan and move on with my life, so, no, I'm not walking you through why I groan at something beyond what I've already said.

Because it shouldn't loving matter this much to you why I groan at a thing.

Would it help if I mentioned that I think Tina Fey gets a lot of undue poo poo for this, because she's a liberal and a woman? Because I also think that's true, and I'd rather talk about that.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Best joke this season is about Titus' therapy.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
Submitting "The hog wash just made it worse!" for best line of the season

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Bunny and Kitty: "from two sides of the law: fed and not-fed" is a devastatingly good pun

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

So this season was head and shoulders above the first in basically every way possible.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Finale: I was expecting Amy Poehler to be Kimmy's mom but Lisa Kudrow was perfect casting.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

twistedmentat posted:

Holy poo poo, that's a crazy referance

"The Reverend said he invented the "I'd like to buy the world a coke" commercial", when at the end of Mad Men, Don Draper does come up with the that commercial.

that absolutely killed me.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Do kids like cheese businessman?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Titus/Mike relationship is one of the genuinely sweetest I've seen on tv in awhile :3:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Shneak posted:

Finale: I was expecting Amy Poehler to be Kimmy's mom but Lisa Kudrow was perfect casting.

It did kind of ruin it with having Kudrow be the voice of the Mother avatar in the Disney dream, but still it was fantastic.

clown shoes posted:

Do kids like cheese businessman?

I literally just saw this part. So weird.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
This show is amazing and makes me feel incredibly happy and warm and fuzzy inside and it gives me a way better lease on life.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Landfill: Sugar Ray's Mark McGrath: Even I know this can't last!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Just finished up. Pretty loving wonderful season of television, the odd issue aside.

It's really easy to forgive some dumb poo poo when a show has genuine heart, and the central theme of making your own family and moving on from your past has always worked on me, from Buffy to Parks and Rec, and it ain't stoppin' now.

Shame it ended so loving quickly.

Also, that loving cliffhanger, dude. More Jon Hamm!

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

The Titus/Mike relationship is one of the genuinely sweetest I've seen on tv in awhile :3:

Yeah, I'm not usually a big fan of gay relationships on shows that don't focus on gay characters. Not because I object to gay men on my shows, but just because it seems like most shows and movies they just go with, "Oh yeah, and the gay friend met the first available gay dude within 100 yards, so everybody's happy now." So seeing Titus and Mike dating, it totally makes sense why those two very different characters are into each other.

LividLiquid posted:

Would it help if I mentioned that I think Tina Fey gets a lot of undue poo poo for this, because she's a liberal and a woman? Because I also think that's true, and I'd rather talk about that.

For what it's worth, I thought Tina Fey did a pretty good of job of making Liz Lemon a well intentioned, but sometimes accidentally racist character on 30 Rock. Her heart was totally in the right place, she just screwed up sometimes.

That said, I don't quite get the complaints about how Native Americans are portrayed on this show. The Whites are usually depicted as the only sane characters on this show. If they had the Native Americans living up to some negative stereotype, living in Teepees, drinking firewater and dealing blackjack, then I could understand the complaits, but they just act like normal midwestern parents dealing with a kid rejecting their values, who happen to be Native Americans.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 17, 2016

Neumonic
Sep 25, 2003

This is my serious face.
"Bunny and Kitty is rated TV-MA" is just perfectly timed.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Amy Sedaris and Anna Camp should have been in more episodes.

Best episodes: the Gretchen one and the one where Titus teaches Lillian all the knockoff showtunes.

Not as many big laughs as the first season. Still real enjoyable, but not uproarious.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I can't believe I totally blanked on who Fred Armison was playing. They even said his name a bunch of times!

I'm Convinced I Can Swim is the best song of the season.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Now That Sounds Like Music! is a fantastic joke.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I can't believe I totally blanked on who Fred Armison was playing. They even said his name a bunch of times!

Bunny and Kitty and I will irl fight you on this

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Now That Sounds Like Music! is a fantastic joke.

They got a lot of mileage out of it too. I enjoyed all of those songs.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Joust posted:

Amy Sedaris and Tina Fey were the best. Anna Camp too.

So many people give incredible comedy performances in this, like season 2 of kimmy schmidt is basically a farm for Comedy Emmy and I honestly think right now they should win all of them

I'm surprised both Anna Camp and Jane Krakowski didn't sing in the singing episode especially once I realized Anna Camp was that girl in pitch perfect. BUt her character is great anyway

Why do so many people in this sing so well

FactsAreUseless posted:

On the other hand this gave us Murasaki Titus so thank god for that

Did anyone else find that oddly moving btw

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Best part of the season was the Miko running gag

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Chuck Lorre wrote the TMNT song. :aaa:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

New Chuck Lore Added!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

Bunny and Kitty and I will irl fight you on this

Never forget your teeth are outside bones

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006

The Freshmaker!

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

Gyre posted:

IMO the episodes with Tina Fey are the best because they actually address how therapy works and how it's a process. It's perhaps the healthiest take on mental health I've ever seen in a TV show, even if it's couched in the hilarious antics of an alcoholic.

Also using "childish" tools is totally a trick of the trade for therapists. Right now I'm doing coloring books every day to help me relax in a more constructive manner, on my therapist's recommendation.

I'm also really glad to see some reality in media. It's important. This is how people learn about the world!

I love this show, it's absolutely wonderful.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

justlikedunkirk posted:

The Freshmaker!

Shoe flip gif plz

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Just finished. Not enough Xanthippe but everything else was varying degrees of good.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Guy A. Person posted:

Just finished the series.

Seconded. Titus/Mike foreva' :3:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I was pretty hot and cold on this season. Some of the gags early on seemed a little too 'zany to be zany'. Also a lot of the Jackie plots fell flat with me.

Lillian and Titus are still the high points. 'When Samuel L. Jackson asks what's in my wallet, the answer is ketchup packets.'

E: I admit I did doze during part of my binge, but I'm bummed that Kymmi and Randy apparently made no appearances this season.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 18, 2016

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'll never understand the amount of love Xan gets, she's terrible.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
No shame in losing a fight to a squirrel, Kimmy. It happened to Dr. Doom, too.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Suxpool posted:

Submitting "The hog wash just made it worse!" for best line of the season

"Dolphins are rapists. Look it up."

"Is that why they are always smiling?"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

JT Smiley posted:

I'll never understand the amount of love Xan gets, she's terrible.

What is good about her is Kimmy making her more and more infuriated with her weirdness. This season it felt like it was all wacky characters and nobody reacting to Kimmy's weird stuff as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

oh my god the loving puppet.

• Locked thread