Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ruddiger posted:

They shot that practical too, with little black building models outlined with painted lines to make it look like a digital overlay.

:mmmhmm:

thats amazing. next you will tell me all of the CGI in Lawnmower Man was actually done with sophisticated puppets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

I thought you were dead

The booby trapped bridge chase was filmed on the chain of rocks bridge over the mississippi between st louis and illinois, creepy bridge,

Aug 4, 2010

ANAmal.net posted:

john carpenter owns

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

the wireframe shot when snake is flying his glider into new york is not actually done with a computer, but is a scale model outlined with reflective tape. super neato!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
John Carpenter is my waifu :allears:

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

nomadologique posted:

tombstone is 90s as gently caress btw you silly billy

also loving terrible, holy poo poo, when i was a kid i liked that movie but then i watched it again a few years ago and WOWO, is it poorly made

still a little fun in parts, but man the editing and poo poo was so loving bad i could barely sit through it
I respectfully disagree.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ruddiger posted:

They shot that practical too, with little black building models outlined with painted lines to make it look like a digital overlay.

:mmmhmm:

And the opening narration is an uncredited Jamie Lee Curtis. A lot of people know this already, but for those who don't it comes up from time to time in pub trivia quizzes.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I own The Thing. I do need to buy all of carpenters work on bluray though

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

lol goddamn that is bad

Ultramega OK
May 14, 2003

I'm a Catholic, I can feel guilty about anything.

DJ BK posted:

I thought you were dead

The booby trapped bridge chase was filmed on the chain of rocks bridge over the mississippi between st louis and illinois, creepy bridge,

I believe most of the movie was shot in East St. Louis. Judging by the many stories I've heard of that city, I'm hard pressed to figure out which scenes had the bombed-out look BEFORE filming began.

The only scene shot in NYC was the scene with the Statue of Liberty in the background.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
That bridge is really creepy

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
remember that basketball scene in escape from LA that poo poo is amazing

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I just watched Escape from New York because I was thinking about this thread

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I'll be watching In The Mouth of Madness the next time I can prise my family off the TV that I loving bought, goddamn it.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Escape from LA is one of my favorite movies ever but for some reason I have never seen NY. Welcome to the human race

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ultrabindu posted:

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/100732/20151028/john-carpenter-could-have-sued-konami-for-metal-gear-solid-similarities.htm

Metal Gear Solid wasn't sued over Escape From New York ties because Kojima's 'a nice guy'

Carpenter may be a crazy man now, but he's pretty cool.

BTW, the movie they're talking about that got sued: Lockout i.e. Escape From Space.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Escape from LA is good and even better if you approach it as "President Ted Cruz: an American experience".

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

I also want the escape from Cleveland they talked about.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
My dad gets so mad if I say escape from LA is good

Orange Cat
Feb 26, 2013

Consummate Professional posted:

My dad gets so mad if I say escape from LA is good

LA is like loving a fat chick. Deny it, but you know you like it. Second Escape from Cleveland, and In The Mouth of Madness.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
LA is like the SyFy Original Movie ripoff of New York but it's just impossible to hate.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
i hope the op enjoys objectively the best movie ever

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bea Nanner posted:

i hope the op enjoys objectively the best movie ever

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
the basketball scene in LA is objectively the best scene of all time but NY is still the superior film

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I went to watch They Live at a bar last night and it's still super loving good.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Escape from LA has some amazing one liners, like at the start where they mention the previous team all died quickly and snake is all "Hell of a team" or this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue8TvvYik74

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

good k russell movie??

used cars

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
IMDB is really funny sometimes--here was a role Kurt Russell was in in 1963:

It Happened at the World's Fair
Boy Kicking Mike (uncredited)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Walt Disney's last words were "Kurt Russell".

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Filthy Hans posted:

The People Under The Stairs was one of my favorite movies when I was 12 or so, even though I didn't get that it was a scathing critique of the Reagans at that time

wes craven, dude

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

The beginning of LA where people are choosing the electric chair is metal as gently caress.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ort posted:

Escape from LA is one of my favorite movies ever but for some reason I have never seen NY. Welcome to the human race

Once you've seen EFNY, you'll know why EFLA is bad. It's basically a flat clone of the original with a bigger budget, less subtle satire and Hollywood silliness.

Also I've never heard of Escape From Cleveland. Carpenter did occasionally talk about a third Snake movie, but it was Escape From Earth. Got a source?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Escape From LA is an hilarious parody of Escape From New York

people who don't like it just don't "get" it

it's also eerie how prescient it was to the future of America

how could John Carpenter have predicted that being a Muslim would be a crime in the future

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
John Carpenter is pretty much the greatest living American.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I heard he was dead

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I'm watching They Live right now, for the first time.

Escape from LA next.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Jedit posted:

Once you've seen EFNY, you'll know why EFLA is bad. It's basically a flat clone of the original with a bigger budget, less subtle satire and Hollywood silliness.

Also I've never heard of Escape From Cleveland. Carpenter did occasionally talk about a third Snake movie, but it was Escape From Earth. Got a source?

They just reference Cleveland a lot in EFLA. I don't think it's even a screenplay but it would take place between NY and LA.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

too good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZIhQgdQlQM

• Locked thread