Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Carmant posted:

Idk what Mary Sue is but I bet it's something really stupid and meaningless like cuck because gokns really love to use it

when its in literature its an author surrogate

when its an undersexed catlady writing about her and dr who fuckin its a mary sue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

whoflungpoop posted:

you dont have to be smart to understand ulysses

but you do have to study it and gain familiarity with his references (read:entire western canon) and and treat it like almost like something to be researched before you come to see that yeah wow this really is deep and has stuff pinging on things and levels that you couldnt see at first and draws all of it together into the context of his time and ireland and then its like wow yeah dude im starting to get it there's actually a substantive and uniquely powerful beauty behind what at first might look like madness

if you dont want to :effort: it then dont cuz yeah its a lot of work if you dont really care but like anything else in the world it isnt about smarts its about getting out what you put in

I took an entire college course on this rear end in a top hat. We went over every deeper meaning possible, learned about the state of Ireland at the tine, etc. Joyce's works are still dense joyless slogs. Those letters are the only entertaining thing he ever wrote

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
MY BOYYY !!!

I'll crack open a brewski for ya

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

whoflungpoop posted:

when its in literature its an author surrogate

when its an undersexed catlady writing about her and dr who fuckin its a mary sue

I'm keeping this for the Star Wars VIII thread.

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
I liked the description of the ocean at the start of Ulysses. Who can forget the "snotgreen scrotum-tightening sea?"

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
"Stately plump Buck Mulligan" is the moment you know you're in for it.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
god that dude was into all the worst words

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Cuckoo posted:

I took an entire college course on this rear end in a top hat. We went over every deeper meaning possible, learned about the state of Ireland at the tine, etc. Joyce's works are still dense joyless slogs. Those letters are the only entertaining thing he ever wrote

lol if you think loving Dubliners is dense or a slog.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Nanomashoes posted:

lol if you think loving Dubliners is dense or a slog.

I notice that you didn't refute that it was joyless.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

Doctor Schnabel posted:

lemme ask ya this, bucko: would you like to have a nice beer and an enjoyable time with some dummies, or a discussion about modernist lit with ozma?
id rather do either of those and a million other things than hear some cotton candy vaping jortsgoon who in days past failed an english midterm on Twelfth Night and in days present smells like catfood and rear end being all :goonsay: let me tell u why shakespeare's overrated

because Sheep-Goats knows wtf is up :hf:

Sheep-Goats posted:

This is the kind of poo poo you say once at a party and no one wants to talk to you afterwards.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

Cuckoo posted:

im sorry you didnt like it bc i can imagine what a slog that would be on a topic that isnt even interesting. fwiw i wouldve gladly taken the class for you bc i was a stem major and never got to take any interesting lit classes i just kind of pursued it out of interest

but the fact that you went through the work means your opinions would be really cool to hear at a party and i would listen to them and then after that maybe we could beat up some dumb nerds :redass:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
jesus christ its like the mein kampf fanclub in here...

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Joyce posted:

Lowly, longly, a wail went forth. Pure Yawn lay low. On the
mead of the hillock lay, heartsoul dormant mid shadowed land-
shape, brief wallet to his side, and arm loose, by his staff of citron
briar, tradition stick-pass-on. His dream monologue was over,
of cause, but his drama parapolylogic had yet to be, affact. Most
distressfully (but, my dear, how successfully!) to wail he did,
his locks of a lucan tinge, quickrich, ripely rippling, unfilleted,
those lashbetasselled lids on the verge of closing time, whiles
ouze of his sidewiseopen mouth the breath of him, evenso
languishing as the princeliest treble treacle or lichee chewchow
purse could buy. Yawn in a semiswoon lay awailing and (hooh!)
what helpings of honeyful swoothead (phew!), which ear-
piercing dulcitude! As were you suppose to go and push with
your bluntblank pin in hand upinto his fleshasplush cushionettes
of some chubby boybold love of an angel. Hwoah!

TBH I find this absolutely gorgeous to hear outloud and endlessly fascinating to work out. Its like this strange hymn prayer by some sort of 850 year old Irish anchorite

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Oyak posted:

I liked the description of the ocean at the start of Ulysses. Who can forget the "snotgreen scrotum-tightening sea?"

Not me. I can't forget it. But with mindfulness techniques and years of therapy, I can live with it as a constant at the back of my mind.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8kFqiv8Vww

naem
May 29, 2011

I read that in Ulysses if his housekeeper came in the room while he was writing he'd write down everything she said in the book so there are passages like "oh hello mr Joyce here is your mail also we had fresh eggs delivered just this morning if you're peckish, I'll be out back beating the rugs" with no explanation

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Cuckoo posted:

The problem wasn't Joyce the problem was you took a college course taught by a literature professor on Joyce. No one knows less about books and how to read them than a critically oriented literature PhD. Apart from Doctor Schnabel.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
heyoooooo

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

sam i am no one give a gently caress about ur dinner -- dr schnabel, amazon book reviews

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
he was a total bitch like basically every writer who ever lived

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Woah hey baby you caught that one that's great news!

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

disgusting loving chin tbh

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Cuckoo posted:

what are you loving talking about joyless do you have no sense of humor ?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the man is a riot you goddamn sadsack turd

his hero jerks off on the beach to a cripple girl in like 1911, if you don't see what's funny about that i don't know

a big hairy malook of a man nearly swipes bloom's head off for being a jew, it's one of the funniest things i've ever read, are you made of stone?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
This is my greenhouse, I made a woman poo poo in there for my sexual pleasure. Well, time to go up to the old writing room and crank on on one of humanity's greatest achievements. Ah well.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Can you loving imagine the aneurysms and strokes people who read the first printing of Ulysses experienced when they were still huffing dickens and melville. Like so many rancid farts

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Doctor Schnabel posted:

god that dude was into all the worst words

lol your attitude is better than these other naysayers at least you know how to send the ball back

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Can you loving imagine the aneurysms and strokes people who read the first printing of Ulysses experienced when they were still huffing dickens and melville.

melville is funny as gently caress too, he describes the butcher wearing the whale's dickskin as a priest in a cassock

ishmael tells the spanish sailors to go get a bible, he'll swear on it to the truth of everything he says

i'm giggling right now thinking about it

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I notice that you didn't refute that it was joyless.

The irish are sad sad people, it's to be expected.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Frank McCourt, the guy who wrote Angelas Ashes and Tis, described Finnegans Wake as the type of book that made you want to hold your head underwater. I havent read Joyce but I enjoyed the hell out of McCourt so hes probably right. Plus, he was an English teacher.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Finnegan's Wake isn't even in English, by the way, for those uninitiated or not in AP English.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

sometimes holding your head under water is a good and euphoric thing to do dipshit

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

nomadologique posted:

sometimes holding your head under water is a good and euphoric thing to do dipshit

Then we'd have two boring-rear end wakes on our hands

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Hm, yes I've got an encyclopedic knowledge of all of the great works of western art, literature and culture over the last two thousand years and I can speak fluent English, Italian, German, French, Latin and Greek let me use all of those to make an unintelligible mess about farts and looking at naked statues and jerking off in a latrine which will be the apex of the written word for the next century.

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE
I'm reading the Iliad and the Odyssey in prep for Ulysses. I like convoluted and elitist bullshit so this seems totally up my alley plus anything goons hate is probably really good so I can't wait. I'm in the middle of the Iliad right now and thought it would be a giant pain in the rear end but after you get past the whole "and 40 ships came with him" poo poo, there's like a million people getting speared, usually above the nipple for some reason. Also Diomed is a pimp rear end motherfucker.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

Hm, yes I've got an encyclopedic knowledge of all of the great works of western art, literature and culture over the last two thousand years and I can speak fluent English, Italian, German, French, Latin and Greek let me use all of those to make an unintelligible mess about farts and looking at naked statues and jerking off in a latrine which will be the apex of the written word for the next century.

When I say this I say it as high praise, when you say it I'm not sure if you're saying it the right way or not.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

uhhh I don't think you "get" the western culture

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

I don't know poo poo about nothing but even I know that that's the point!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

mdm posted:

uhhh I don't think you "get" the western culture

Pretend I posted a rewritten version of the niggerstomper58 rant here.

• Locked thread