Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

Hm, yes I've got an encyclopedic knowledge of all of the great works of western art, literature and culture over the last two thousand years and I can speak fluent English, Italian, German, French, Latin and Greek let me use all of those to make an unintelligible mess about farts and looking at naked statues and jerking off in a latrine which will be the apex of the written word for the next century.

What white people actually believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Trap sprung right

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I'm transethnic actually.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

Pretend I posted a rewritten version of the niggerstomper58 rant here.

Don't say the n word in my thread.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Carmant posted:

Don't say the n word in my thread.

I was going to say that Joyce used the n word all the time but then i remembered that was actually Lovecraft. Did Joyce ever use the n word in his writing?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Utz posted:

Nabokov wasn't a pedophile, ya fuckin' tard.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Salinger definitely was though.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

Pretty amazing that what is widely regarded as the finest work of modern western literature is basically the cuckoldry meme.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Let me know when his works are made into a anime

I'll watch that instead

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

I was going to say that Joyce used the n word all the time but then i remembered that was actually Lovecraft. Did Joyce ever use the n word in his writing?

Never as an omnipotent narrator sense like racist authors such as Conrad, Kipling or Lawrence would do. Maybe once or twice in dense passages of drunken slang in Ulysses and as vocalized slang in the plasma language of Finnegan's Wake, passages that sought to echo in some ways real-world talk

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

crowoutofcontext posted:

as vocalized slang in the plasma language of Finnegan's Wake, passages that sought to echo in some ways real-world talk

What an embarrassing string of words.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

8 track betamax posted:

What a stupid dog. His tail sucks compared to other dogs

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
modern greats be like this *farts like a train whistle*

postmodern greats be like this *bangs sluts where rockets land*

Carmant posted:

What a stupid dog. His tail sucks compared to other dogs
you son of a

whoflungpoop fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 16, 2016

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

nomadologique posted:

lol your attitude is better than these other naysayers at least you know how to send the ball back
thanks bud that means a lot. beneath this gruff exterior lies a beating heart!

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

8 track betamax posted:

He had to smelt the modern dictionary back to protean plasma and reenact the genesis and mutation of language in order to deliver his message. But the final wonder is that such a message could be delivered at all.

Alan Smithee posted:

Let me know when his works are made into a anime

I'll watch that instead

Read this instead

crowoutofcontext fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 17, 2016

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!
Pynchon is better than Joyce. Mason & Dixon is the best novel of the past 100 years

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Wizard Master posted:

Pynchon is better than Joyce. Mason & Dixon is the best novel of the past 100 years

Maybe kind of

like saying Nas is better than Public Enemy

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

im gaye posted:

his letter about licking butthole is better than most college papers i read so cool i guess

i loved how for every other topic from missionary to poo poo that would make fetlife blush he was supremely comfortable w spinning pages of the most explicit, sanity-searing detail

but when it came to the topic of her doing That One Thing he was like :sweatdrop::fh:'hi pls elaborate re: that place? you mentioned going with your tongue

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Seriously, it never stops being hilarious reading about humanities majors attempting to justify flushing 40k down the toilet by pretending to understand Joyce.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Carmant posted:

Do you think he was?

no. he was just a weird dude.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Seriously, it never stops being hilarious reading about humanities majors attempting to justify flushing 40k down the toilet by pretending to understand Joyce.

James Joyce posted:

I've put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that's the only way of insuring one's immortality.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

no. he was just a weird dude.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
if you don't like Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man then you should pretty much just kill yourself.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

And anyone who doesn't attempt Ulysses should be shot in the head for boorish intellectual cowardliness.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

crowoutofcontext posted:

And anyone who doesn't attempt Ulysses should be shot in the head for boorish intellectual cowardliness.

anyone who attempts to use James Joyce to sound smart should be shot on sight

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

anyone who attempts to use James Joyce to sound smart should be shot on sight

That's letting them off pretty easy.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

if you like his fart letters youre an intellectual

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

FuhrerHat posted:

if you like his fart letters youre an intellectual

this is the dumbest thing I have ever read

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

this is the dumbest thing I have ever read

If you like neither his published work nor his fart letters you are boor

If you like his fart letters, but not his published work you are an easy-going lad, but not one for the "heightened pleasures"

If you like his published work, but not his fart letters, you are a pseudo intellectual.

If you like only his fart letters, and find his work pales in comparison, you are an intellectual

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

crowoutofcontext posted:

If you like neither his published work nor his fart letters you are boor

If you like his fart letters, but not his published work you are an easy-going lad, but not one for the "heightened pleasures"

If you like his published work, but not his fart letters, you are a pseudo intellectual.

If you like only his fart letters, and find his work pales in comparison, you are an intellectual

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

dudes shpuld stop listening to me, roll a joint and :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpeq91hK1Gk#t=19s

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

please source your quotes tia

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

mdm posted:

please source your quotes tia

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
James Joyce also wrote under the pen name Terence McKenna?

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

mdm posted:

James Joyce also wrote under the pen name Terence McKenna?

no that was where i got " the plasma language of Finnegan's Wake" from tbf.

i cant fpr the life of me see the specific txt people quote of me.

‘I’ve put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that’s the only way of insuring one’s immortality.’
-James Joyce, quoted in Richard Ellmann, James Joyce, 2nd ed. (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982), p. 521.

"Lowly, longly, a wail went forth[...] Hwoah!" http://www.trentu.ca/faculty/jjoyce/fw-474.htm

crowoutofcontext fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I identify as naughty farty, I am merry cracksexual, gusherfluid and my pronouns are pffte/pffter/pfftters

• Locked thread