Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Eponine posted:

What do people who think a mediocre spaghetti dinner is romantic and fancy eat on the regular? This is a serious question. I'm not a great chef and it's not like I plate my meals, but what do you usually eat that makes that special?

Probably the food is always ordered at a burger place or just tossed in a microwave straight from a can or box. Maybe the dude spent more than 30 seconds of effort doing it and that makes it special for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I want to believe that the girlfriend does exist, she tried really hard to make that spag bol, and it's just her lovely boyfriend using his lovely phone camera to take a lovely photo that makes it look so lovely (I have tried taking photos of my room in low light with the flash on and it looks similarly atrocious). But I'm pretty sure the girlfriend doesn't exist and that's some microwaved spaghetti out of a box.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Eponine posted:

What do people who think a mediocre spaghetti dinner is romantic and fancy eat on the regular? This is a serious question. I'm not a great chef and it's not like I plate my meals, but what do you usually eat that makes that special?

I guarantee you that spaghetti is the fanciest thing he knows how to make by himself. He'd ask mom to make something fancier but then she'd ask why he needs two plates.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Do you people not see the champagne glasses? Fancy as gently caress.

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe

Christo posted:

I guarantee you that spaghetti is the fanciest thing he knows how to make by himself. He'd ask mom to make something fancier but then she'd ask why he needs two plates.

Mom's spaghetti?

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Eponine posted:

Duh, haven't you ever seen Lady and the Tramp? That poo poo's romantic as gently caress. If you're a dog.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Latest episode of F+ is topical.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
Spaghetti dinners are loving great you idiots.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

That spaghetti in particular, however, is not.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Eponine posted:

I think it's because spaghetti is the only food that doesn't have a "fast food" equivalent (barring people's opinions on olive garden). Mexican food, for example, is much more involved to make but since taco Bell exists it seems like meaningful in these peoples eyes.

When you're trying to impress 14 year olds who don't cook for themselves you don't get called out for the fact that spaghetti takes like 10 minutes and zero effort to make

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Primetime posted:

When you're trying to impress 14 year olds who don't cook for themselves you don't get called out for the fact that spaghetti takes like 10 minutes and zero effort to make

May your marinara never cling to your spaghetti.

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

They cover NAR and I think I had already read every single story in one of these threads. It was great hearing the classics reenacted and mocked in silly voices though.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Isn't that bra also really big? Like, in a "fat person" way rather just having a big chest.

That is Mom's bra.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

MariusLecter posted:

Do you people not see the champagne glasses? Fancy as gently caress.

Filled with what appears to be not champagne, which is fine, but it also makes this look like a bunch of kids having a fancy dinner. Which is cute I suppose. But then you realize it's a plea for help on imgurr of all places.

Realistically this is probably some high schooler who snagged a previously opened bottle of wine from his/her mom's fridge and made the one thing they know how to make. I used to do the same thing with waffles, and I thank God every day that the Internet wasn't a big enough thing for me to embarrass myself on at the time.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Verisimilidude posted:

Filled with what appears to be not champagne, which is fine, but it also makes this look like a bunch of kids having a fancy dinner. Which is cute I suppose. But then you realize it's a plea for help on imgurr of all places.

The horrid flat condensation-covered "champagne" was the first thing I focused on, possibly in an attempt to keep from processing the rest of the picture.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

kimbo305 posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/4ghAxNS
When I make a romantic dinner for two, I also plate the forks the same way and put glasses on the same side.

i hope this person sprains their ankle

Also me and my idiot boyfriend when we were freshmen in college set up a nicer dinner than that for ourselves and that was with dorm-rear end furniture and poo poo. He brought filet mignon he stole from his brother's wedding and my roommate lent us one of those tiny electric tea candles (since you weren't allowed to have an open flame :kiddo: )

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Gems

quote:

Some gems from classes I've substituted for:
To students passing through my room from outside to the inner hall: "This is a toll room, give me a quarter!"
To a student wearing a cap backwards: "The last time wearing a hat like that didn't look completely stupid was The Eighties, and I don't think you were born yet!" (He wasn't)
To two kids who were arguing: "Quit doing that, before I take you outside and make you duel with cream pies!"
After being forced to show a Narmtacular movie: "That was so bad it broke the universe."
Does doing a lesson on comparative monomyths, comparing The Canterbury Tales and Dragon Quest IV, count?
Student: "You're really tall." Me: "Or everyone else is really short."
Immediate first thought: "I'll ignore one height crack. One."
"Don't get run over by football players!"
To a sick student: "Please don't puke on your fellow students. It's unsanitary."
To a student who said the room smelled funny: "Since it's an agribusiness class, maybe the smell was put there to add verisimilitude."
Regarding people playing iPods too loud: "If I had it to do over again, I would become an audiologist. I'd have lots of customers."
To two girls on the opposite side of a cabinet from me: "You guys aren't doing anything inappropriate over there that someone would want to film, are you?"
"Given the realities of biology, it would actually make more sense for women to wear pants and men to wear dresses."

Lorry

quote:

This Troper had a couple of these in secondary school (about the same as high school if you're American);
My RE teacher was a bit off, putting a class on hold because of the presence of a bee and claiming the Church Of Scientology was out to get her (although the former was because of an allergy and the later sounded semi-plausible).
My Geography and ICT teacher, Mr. Soden, enjoyed taking control of random students' computers and shaking their mouse around, he also gave this memorable exchange;
*I have just explained that my computer has just stopped working and asked if he knew what the problem was*
Mr. Soden: What happens when a lorry does this *he slides his hands along the desk until it reaches a wall*
Me: Er...it's crash-*realisation*...oh

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Khazar-khum posted:

Gems

quote:

Some gems from classes I've substituted for:
To students passing through my room from outside to the inner hall: "This is a toll room, give me a quarter!"
To a student wearing a cap backwards: "The last time wearing a hat like that didn't look completely stupid was The Eighties, and I don't think you were born yet!" (He wasn't)
To two kids who were arguing: "Quit doing that, before I take you outside and make you duel with cream pies!"
After being forced to show a Narmtacular movie: "That was so bad it broke the universe."
Does doing a lesson on comparative monomyths, comparing The Canterbury Tales and Dragon Quest IV, count?
Student: "You're really tall." Me: "Or everyone else is really short."
Immediate first thought: "I'll ignore one height crack. One."
"Don't get run over by football players!"
To a sick student: "Please don't puke on your fellow students. It's unsanitary."
To a student who said the room smelled funny: "Since it's an agribusiness class, maybe the smell was put there to add verisimilitude."
Regarding people playing iPods too loud: "If I had it to do over again, I would become an audiologist. I'd have lots of customers."
To two girls on the opposite side of a cabinet from me: "You guys aren't doing anything inappropriate over there that someone would want to film, are you?"
"Given the realities of biology, it would actually make more sense for women to wear pants and men to wear dresses."

What the gently caress?

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

sweeperbravo posted:

Also me and my idiot boyfriend when we were freshmen in college set up a nicer dinner than that for ourselves and that was with dorm-rear end furniture and poo poo. He brought filet mignon he stole from his brother's wedding and my roommate lent us one of those tiny electric tea candles (since you weren't allowed to have an open flame :kiddo: )

I like how you fail to use this story to make yourself look better than someone you honestly pity

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

walrusman posted:

What the gently caress?

Umm, it's called ephebophilia, you prude.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

sweeperbravo posted:

:3: Cute.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
shit_that_didnt_happen.txt: This Troper is infamous on SomethingAwful

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

He edited into his post a link to proof that he had a gf, but then removed it.

What was the link?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

EmmyOk posted:

What was the link?

Just another imgur post that had already been deleted.

The followup on why it got edited away: "I'm still figuring this Imgur poo poo out lol I'll check to see if I can get it working again"
He figured it out the first time...

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Primetime posted:

I think it's because spaghetti is the only food that doesn't have a "fast food" equivalent (barring people's opinions on olive garden). Mexican food, for example, is much more involved to make but since taco Bell exists it seems like meaningful in these peoples eyes.

Fazoli's.

Which is still better than that, which looks one step above Chef Boyardee.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I think you guys are really stretching it with that picture. It's just a couple plates of spaghetti and some Champaigne or whatever. I've seen plenty of pictures/posts of people talking about their SO making them dinner with a mediocre photograph on Facebook and nobody gives a poo poo about the quality of the photo, or food, or whether the bra in the background was a fat lady's bra.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Yeah, what's with this multi-paged derail about shit_that_sadily_did_happen.jpg? :mad:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Panfilo posted:

I think you guys are really stretching it with that picture. It's just a couple plates of spaghetti and some Champaigne or whatever. I've seen plenty of pictures/posts of people talking about their SO making them dinner with a mediocre photograph on Facebook and nobody gives a poo poo about the quality of the photo, or food, or whether the bra in the background was a fat lady's bra.

hosed up ugly people have the most and best sex anyway.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Did these people ask for upvotes to show their SO that the Internet approves of their actions?

And yes, the spaghetti looks vile. Probably made using McCormick spaghetti seasoning.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Panfilo posted:

The STDH part of it is that his girlfriend made it and that she wanted to see how many points it could get to save their relationship or whatever. The fact that the food looks like poo poo is irrelevant, but it can be funny to see what some (alleged) adults consider "fancy" eating.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 06:57 on Apr 21, 2016

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Yeah, as sad as the spaghetti looks, it is sometimes an easy thing to cook. And indeed it could be some sweet kid who doesn't know how to cook anything else cooking up a sweet dinner for her boyfriend.

What is really sad, and awkward is the pimping out of the photo for internet points. The convoluted story, (I have a girlfriend, I really do), the desperation, (please like me, whoops I mean her. It is so important for her that you click the like button.), and the fact that it is probably all staged make it a thousand times worse than just a picture of some mediocre food.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

BrigadierSensible posted:

What is really sad, and awkward is the pimping out of the photo for internet points. The convoluted story, (I have a girlfriend, I really do), the desperation, (please like me, whoops I mean her. It is so important for her that you click the like button.), and the fact that it is probably all staged make it a thousand times worse than just a picture of some mediocre food.

She gave me a big hug when she saw how many likes and upvotes it already had!! Help me be such a good and loving boyfriend!

I love when people keep a collection of their favorite quotes that they said. It's a great indication of an obnoxious person who will be completely insufferable to be stuck around.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Kind of both. Two dollar bills are sort of a novelty currency, they're legal tender but you need to go out of your way to get them.

When you get one, you're supposed to keep it and give it to your dad, who keeps them in a folder like they are Pikachu money

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

BrigadierSensible posted:

Yeah, as sad as the spaghetti looks, it is sometimes an easy thing to cook. And indeed it could be some sweet kid who doesn't know how to cook anything else cooking up a sweet dinner for her boyfriend.

I think the photos of "My bae took this while I was sleeping" and in the mirror you can clearly see the guy holding up the phone with his feet are more pathetic frankly.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Eponine posted:

Takeout, breakfast cereal, frozen pizza, ramen, anything with instructions reading "remove film before microwaving"

I (briefly) had an SO in college that ate like that, and one day she invited me over to celebrate an internship that I'd just gotten. Said she'd spent a shitton of time getting everything just right. I get there, and in the middle of her coffee table, flanked by candles, is a serving plate.

I'll give you a chance to guess what this fancypants I-slaved-all-day meal was.

Hamburger Helper

Now I'm no five-star chef, and I've eaten some po-folk/lazy-folk food in my life, but I've never beamed with pride at my ability to brown ground beef and then dump poo poo in the pan. I was floored. At first I thought she was kidding, but nope. If social media had been around back then, there'd definitely be a badly-lit photo of a heaping plate of ground beef box dinner tagged #congratsfai #cookingformyboy #wifeintraining floating around somewhere.

NAR posted:

PAWN SHOP, RETAIL | LOS ANGELES, CA | UNCATEGORIZED
(A customer enters our pawn shop, and I motion her over to my counter.)

Me: “What can I do for you today?”

Customer: “Yeah, I wanna pawn my internet.”

Me: “Do you mean your computer? If it’s complete and relatively new we’ll take it. You just have to bring it in so we can test it out first.”

Customer: *getting angry* “No, man, my internet!”

Me: “Umm…do you mean your modem? Because we don’t take modems or routers by themselves.”

Customer: “No man, I wanna pawn my internet! My INTERNET!”

Me: “Like…your AOL account or something? We can’t do that either.”

Customer: “No! I wanna pawn my internet, man! THE INTERNET!”

Me: “Ma’am, if you can actually bring me the internet, I’ll give you $100 out of my own wallet and you can keep it.”

Customer: *happy again* “Okay, I’ll be right back!”

(She never came back.)

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 14:40 on Apr 21, 2016

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Takeout, breakfast cereal, frozen pizza, ramen, anything with instructions reading "remove film before microwaving"

I (briefly) had an SO in college that ate like that, and one day she invited me over to celebrate an internship that I'd just gotten. Said she'd spent a shitton of time getting everything just right. I get there, and in the middle of her coffee table, flanked by candles, is a serving plate.

I'll give you a chance to guess what this fancypants I-slaved-all-day meal was.

Hamburger Helper

Now I'm no five-star chef, and I've eaten some po-folk/lazy-folk food in my life, but I've never beamed with pride at my ability to brown ground beef and then dump poo poo in the pan. I was floored. At first I thought she was kidding, but nope. If social media had been around back then, there'd definitely be a badly-lit photo of a heaping plate of ground beef box dinner tagged #congratsfai #cookingformyboy #wifeintraining floating around somewhere.

drat bro great story, I hope you let her know how loving pathetic that is.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Straight out of Facebook:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Let's maybe tamp down spaghetti chat before you all claw eachother's eyes out.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Straight out of Facebook:

Okay, but I do like their username very much.