Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

of course she fails to mention they were wearing trump flags as capes

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Is carhartt a republican brand? I buy them pretty regularly for work.

RenegadeStyle1 has a new favorite as of 01:48 on Oct 8, 2021

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Is carhartt a republican brand? I buy them 0retty regularly for work.

No it's a "working man's" brand and as we know in America all blue collar workers are staunch Republicans so MUH FREEDUMBS and furthermore :circlefap:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Me too. They’re quality products.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

No. Here’s their list of donations and sponsorships, for example.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

subpar anachronism posted:

of course she fails to mention they were wearing trump flags as capes

I doubt that would get a kid removed from school even. Assuming it's not a school with a uniform it's generally just wearing something with a drug or alcohol reference or a girl wearing a tank top that gets you in trouble.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I doubt that would get a kid removed from school even. Assuming it's not a school with a uniform it's generally just wearing something with a drug or alcohol reference or a girl wearing a tank top that gets you in trouble.

they were specifically trying to hold a trump rally in the parking lot during school hours iirc

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Basically this

https://twitter.com/skatie420/status/1446333248443846656?t=mirMc96HhrFlSFNmBj5JfA&s=19

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I know about "Let's go Brandon" -- it's a chud meme that means "gently caress Joe Biden," and it is truly stupid -- but I missed this "killing dogs" talking point, what the gently caress

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Why not just say "gently caress Joe Biden"? I'm not a Trumper Chud, and I say it all the time.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

The General posted:

Why not just say "gently caress Joe Biden"? I'm not a Trumper Chud, and I say it all the time.

It’s the same thing as 👌 - a signal to indicate being part of the in-group, but innocuous otherwise so they can feign ignorance if anyone calls it out.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Pththya-lyi posted:

I know about "Let's go Brandon" -- it's a chud meme that means "gently caress Joe Biden," and it is truly stupid -- but I missed this "killing dogs" talking point, what the gently caress

Some anti-vaxx poo poo making the rounds that Fauci is personally torturing dogs because fake science. Now the chuds are all joining the ALF or something, who can keep up

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

they're claiming to be mad lots of animal testing is done on beagles even though they clearly never gave a gently caress about beagles being tested on up until this last few months

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Apparently it all started from an animal rights group that doesn’t care about animal rights as much as making a big deal about the government “wasting” money testing on animals. The scientists in question were testing an anti-filariasis drug, to prevent a parasitic infection that causes blindness, swollen limbs, and, well, giant testicles. Any drug that is going to be tested in humans needs to be tested in animals first. So this was a test of the drug in beagles. This wasn’t a ton of animals, a dozen and a half or so. The dogs were split into two groups, for a double blind study. They gave the dogs shots containing the drug or placebo. In one of the test groups, all the dogs yelped at the injection. After this they were injected with the parasite to see the effects of the drug. Once the test was done, the dogs were euthanized for further study.

This was an experiment partly funded by the NIH. That’s the only connection to Fauci. The dogs were not bitten, eaten by flies, or abused in any way. It’s sad they have to be euthanized, but that’s not what’s under discussion. It’s a purely anti-vax bit of propaganda.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

It's worth pointing out that there are very strict guidelines for research involving vertebrates, and extremely strict rules if you're working with dogs (because people like dogs, imo rats are just as smart but nobody cares about them), and a properly proposed experiment involving animals has to pass an ethics board, where everything gets weighed against the value of what you'll learn.

Not to say that abuses never happen, because they do, and gently caress those people, but it's not just "hey please give me $1 million to torture some dogs and see what happens, in the name of science."

Fun fact: octopuses get to go under vertebrate rules.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Also a lot of places don’t even test on cats and dogs anymore due to in part the public reaction. Plus there are so many hoops to jump through to justify using a specific animal model, number of animals, etc. It’s crazy regulated.

At least where I work (I work in medical research), everything is typically zebra fish, mice, or pigs with a few special cases for other things.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I honestly don't see the point in animal testing. My stupid cats can't even hold a pen. They'd be loving useless in exam conditions.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Also a lot of places don’t even test on cats and dogs anymore due to in part the public reaction. Plus there are so many hoops to jump through to justify using a specific animal model, number of animals, etc. It’s crazy regulated.

At least where I work (I work in medical research), everything is typically zebra fish, mice, or pigs with a few special cases for other things.

Why zebra fish?

Also I think they do a lot of some kind of testing on fruit flies, just because you are allowed to ship them through the mail and I work in a post office that services a hospital and those are labelled.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Skwirl posted:

Why zebra fish?

Also I think they do a lot of some kind of testing on fruit flies, just because you are allowed to ship them through the mail and I work in a post office that services a hospital and those are labelled.
On my initial readthrough I thought you thought that they used fruit flies because of USPS regulations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Why zebra fish?

Just has a lot of traits that make it really suitable for testing, and its genome has been fully sequenced.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Just has a lot of traits that make it really suitable for testing, and its genome has been fully sequenced.

Also they breed quite quickly so you can have multiple generations of a strain in a relatively short time.

This isn’t counting how many more you can house in a small space, the lower feeding and enrichment requirements, etc.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

Why zebra fish?

I don't know if they're using them for this specifically but I do know fruit flies are used in genetic research because they have a very short life and lay a lot of eggs, and don't need a lot of care.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Domus posted:

The scientists in question were testing an anti-filariasis drug, to prevent a parasitic infection that causes blindness, swollen limbs, and, well, giant testicles.

One way or another, Fauci will get Nicki Minaj's cousin's brother

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I don't know if they're using them for this specifically but I do know fruit flies are used in genetic research because they have a very short life and lay a lot of eggs, and don't need a lot of care.

Iirc, the traits you want a laboratory model animal are:

1. Short life cycle so you can study the whole thing
2. Easy to keep in captivity
3. A fully sequenced genome might not be necessary, but it is a definite plus

I've worked with fruit flies. They make instant fly culture food and fly anesthetic. But yeah, things like mice, rats, fruit flies, zebrafish, all very useful in a lab setting.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I feel like this one must be satire/parody but I still find it hilarious

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

That absolutely has to be one written specifically for the subreddit. There's just so much to point out.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Yeah, that's some Oppa Homeless Style level of parody stdh.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 03:44 on Nov 14, 2021

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

maswastaken posted:

That absolutely has to be one written specifically for the subreddit. There's just so much to point out.
stdhtdh.txt

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Some anti-vaxx poo poo making the rounds that Fauci is personally torturing dogs because fake science. Now the chuds are all joining the ALF or something, who can keep up

Alf is back - in chud form!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Paladinus posted:

Yeah, that's some Oppa Homeless Style level of parody stdh.

Ah... the good ol' days

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

I think I know why daddy left.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
That's from a dog's Facebook account right?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I was thinking cat.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Knormal posted:

I was thinking cat.

That'd be even worse, because cats need less direct attention than dogs unless it has a lot of behavioral or medical issues.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Oh gently caress thats reminds me of that crazy lady who was treating a baby Yoda doll as a child. I really hope that's not her.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Elblanco posted:

Oh gently caress thats reminds me of that crazy lady who was treating a baby Yoda doll as a child. I really hope that's not her.

not enough "chicky nuggies" or "[thing]y-[thing]s" for a Baby Yoda post

That poo poo drives me up the wall, thanks for asking

E: oh yeah, how could I forget "choccy milk." Makes me want to pukey-puke

Pththya-lyi has a new favorite as of 04:24 on Nov 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Maggie still not into Manic Pixie Dream Boy