Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I've always wondered...

quote:

Arguably, this Troper is probably the youngest of which who suffers from this Trope. This is practically the invisible label that's under the invisible Berserk Button of this 13-year old kid. He broke 33 pencils in his life, and had a good friend break two of those pencils because they were too hard. He even yelled at someone because that guy was the third person who asked if he could be punched for the third time, with a teacher only a mile ahead!

...did we ever figure out what this part means? Does it matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Khazar-khum posted:

Gems

quote:

Some gems from classes I've substituted for:
To students passing through my room from outside to the inner hall: "This is a toll room, give me a quarter!"
To a student wearing a cap backwards: "The last time wearing a hat like that didn't look completely stupid was The Eighties, and I don't think you were born yet!" (He wasn't)
To two kids who were arguing: "Quit doing that, before I take you outside and make you duel with cream pies!"
After being forced to show a Narmtacular movie: "That was so bad it broke the universe."
Does doing a lesson on comparative monomyths, comparing The Canterbury Tales and Dragon Quest IV, count?
Student: "You're really tall." Me: "Or everyone else is really short."
Immediate first thought: "I'll ignore one height crack. One."
"Don't get run over by football players!"
To a sick student: "Please don't puke on your fellow students. It's unsanitary."
To a student who said the room smelled funny: "Since it's an agribusiness class, maybe the smell was put there to add verisimilitude."
Regarding people playing iPods too loud: "If I had it to do over again, I would become an audiologist. I'd have lots of customers."
To two girls on the opposite side of a cabinet from me: "You guys aren't doing anything inappropriate over there that someone would want to film, are you?"
"Given the realities of biology, it would actually make more sense for women to wear pants and men to wear dresses."

What the gently caress?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

On the other hand, the more they pair up among themselves...

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Are you saying that didn't happen? That gives me a deep, unsettling feeling of reality.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

It was very important that the author passively racialized his fake characters as being black (or at the very least ghetto) by making them use words like "ain't" and intonation like "POlice".

Hey, he never said they were black. NOW who's the racist? :smug:

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Aren't those extreme coupon assholes usually fixated on buying huge quantities of certain products that have manufacturer coupons? And aren't those usually like 1-2 things a week, like one certain brand of sausages or shampoo? How in the hell do you take 50% off some random stranger's grocery order when you haven't used your mighty coupon powers to inform their product selection? It's not like there are coupons out there for just "cheese" or "whatever, just take two bucks off."

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

The Box O' Truth tested various rock salt loads and found that they bounced off of corrugated cardboard at anything more than basically point-blank range. Any tales you hear of people using them to any kind of effect are entirely fiction. Also it's really bad for your gun.

edit: this reminds me of another stupid gun story that came to the last thread through an imgur confession bear. The guy was like yeah I shot a mugger with my 9mm, I carry that because I don't want to kill anybody! Yeah good job, moron - shooting someone is lethal force, regardless of your intentions. If he didn't die when you shot him, he got lucky.

walrusman has a new favorite as of 01:12 on Jun 3, 2016

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Khazar-khum posted:

Bayonet

quote:

Their faces paled and then promptly ran as fast as they could down the stairs and out the front door.

Leaving the rest of their bodies writhing in a bleeding mess on the kitchen floor until mom came home.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Khazar-khum posted:

In this troper's Junior year of high school, a guy in his class that many people found terribly annoying was sitting behind him, throwing bits of paper in his hair. This troper told him several times to stop, and he did not. Finally, getting fed up, he turned around, grabbed the guy by his hair, pulled his head forward and bashed his head against the brick wall. The troper's friends were dumbstruck. The teacher did nothing but sit there, agape, while a lot of people in class applauded. This is not the best part. The best part is the guy this troper attacked did not retaliate. This troper recently found out why, from a person whom the victim told: he was terrified of this troper. This troper, who had never been in any sort of physical confrontation, nor committed a single act of aggression throughout high school. The guy went on to join Army Special Forces, and is still afraid of this troper, after four years.

At last, it sounds like one of these dweebs will be on the receiving end of one of these insane revenge fantasies they all love so much. "This crazy rear end in a top hat in high school smashed my head into a brick wall, so I went off and got hella swole and I'm going to beat him until he shits bone fragments at our ten year reunion."

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I've probably said it before, but those r/childfree people have got to be among the most annoyingly self-absorbed shitheads in the entire goddamn world.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Zelder posted:

Inter gender MMA, now there's a good idea

It's been done.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

RNG posted:

I think "marshals" guy doesn't know what a HOA is.

I was picking up a distinct note of "non-native English speaker."

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

"I'll be making a complaint to your corporate offices - now tell me what village they're in so I can dispatch a messenger boy at once!"

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I'd like to shoot that person out of a cannon.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

"Stop exploiting bugs in our hastily-programmed training simulator with your mighty gamer nerd powers, and start playing the game as it's designed so you might actually learn something."

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

ghost emoji posted:

restaurant story

Why the hell is grandma demanding that the server return her tip if the meal hasn't even started yet? Did they tip in advance?

Furthermore, what the gently caress kind of restaurant has promos like that? When they started talking about charging admission I thought it might have been a Hometown Buffet or similar shithole but then they also have draconian cookie policies and "entrees" so it can't be that.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Making it even better, the constant use of "marks" makes me pretty sure he's not American.

I have no idea what a "secondment" is.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

It's really hard to tell because it's written by such a total ninny, but let me see if I have this straight. This guy was browsing the web deep web MARIANAS WEB (fuckin' lol, I bet he thinks that's some kind of super-cagey shibboleth that will ensure only the highest-IQ individuals understand the story), and happened to stumble upon a Craigslist ad for his own hit? Am I reading that right?

And then he decides the best course of action, when he finds out that he might be hunted by one or more professional killers, is to hack their mainframe, backtrace their IP, and show up at their house to demand an explanation? With two friends and a pocket knife as protection? What kind of imaginary heavy poo poo is this guy imaginarily into? Does he have any idea how much a contract killing costs?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Samizdata posted:

Right now, I am running a BOGO special. And ask us about our spacial FAMILY RATE!

(Customer's choice - Katana or Desert Eagle .50 on all hits.)

Also, for our discerning customers, we have the "Over-Elaborate Ironic Death Trap Club".

Googling it and reading a couple articles was actually a really good use of ten minutes. Most of the stories I've seen on the news have been men offering $10k-$25k for someone to off their ex-wives, so I figured that was the going rate. Turns out, nobody really knows what the "going rate" is because all sorts of assholes think they're hitmen and will agree to kill anybody for anywhere between a hundred grand and "seven Atari computer games, three dollar bills, and $2.30 in nickels and dimes." (Slate article) The ones who actually succeed - i.e. get away with it - clearly don't get factored into the statistics.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

"Fark is full of bad, stupid, broken people. I know this because I visit it regularly."

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Blurred posted:

Serious question: does knowledge of these disciplines really transfer into the ability to defend oneself properly in an actual fight situation? I know it's a common stdh trope to have a 5'2" /110lb dude beat off a bunch of bullies with his highly cultivated kung fu skills, but is there any truth to that at all? I mean, if you're a krav maga guru then you can probably handle yourself just fine, but is there any evidence the knowledge gained in these courses actually translates into a real ability to defend yourself in a spontaneous fight situation?

It helps if you're the top sniper in the entire U.S. armed forces.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Boy, it's a good thing mom let me take an enormously hi-res screenshot of her text messages!

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Ratjaculation posted:

My favourite part is still how much the op respects the homeless dude ... *throws money at his feet*

"Well, I still wouldn't touch him... Ewww!"

How old is a 3rd grade kid?

Nine or ten.

vv eh this guy is probably closer vv

walrusman has a new favorite as of 09:07 on Dec 7, 2016

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

How utterly reprehensible.

Did reddit lap this up like I figure they would?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

DeusExMachinima posted:

you guys would not believe what I saw at my most recent anime convention

My favorite parts of this that no one has mentioned yet:

- a single punch from a doughy cosplay enthusiast knocking out "several" teeth
- the dogwhistle in the second paragraph that implies black people were tacitly supporting the beating
- discount Pat Morita calling it "your beloved loving Japan" in a really derisive way, despite...being from there?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

At the very least you'd probably need a special rider to cover anything worth over ten grand, and I bet those are hard to get for consumables.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I thought it was going to be some hip slang for a "liberal" but from the context of the story I guess it's just a...mean...girl? :confused:

I'm sure it's a super-trenchant commentary on a character from a Sonic-themed dating sim that somehow has ten times as many trope references as Othello, though.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

For every year the kid ages past six, the story gets 10% less funny.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

My grandmother was a south Vietnamese child prostitute at the second battle of Antietam when she met my grandfather, who was a 2nd-century Roman centurion whose parents had been devout Shintoists until they were killed by a runaway steam locomotive. Anyway, long story short, I was raised worshiping Xangorp, God-Emperor of Space, and that made for some awkward Christmases, let me tell you!

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists › shit_that_didnt_happen.txt: become known to them as a person who is amusing

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The most implausible thing is that the necklace is for a third party.

The average bird person would wear that parakeet bone necklace himself.

:kheldragar:

I assumed she just had a weird neighbor she liked to barter junk with, and she was using deliberately misleading language to make it sound like several different people and make herself seem more interesting.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Of all the easily-contacted professions, cops are probably some of the worst at math. She probably wouldn't do much better asking the pizza delivery man, but maybe the mailman, grocery store clerk, or (gasp) her teacher would have been better choices. Wouldn't get all those sweet THIN BLUE LINE likes and shares, though.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Khazar-khum posted:

Pain

quote:

In extreme pain, he declined his counselor's offer to carry him to the nurse, and walked the 1/8th of a mile to the nurse by himself, before promptly collapsing.

Why would you brag about such a pathetically short distance of walking? You broke your wrist being a dumbass, you didn't get your legs blown off by an IED. If you're making poo poo up, go for the gusto. Then again, it's really only one story ("I fell and hurt myself"), which is plausible, so maybe he's not making it up and is really just being weird about a specific distance.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Yep, my mom (born in '54) was hit with a ruler for writing left handed, albeit in a lovely rural school with older teachers. She now has impeccable handwriting with both hands.

edit: Don't think she got every teacher at the school fired, though. That story is a trip - did they come from a place without unions? Did they just close the school down while they mass-promoted preschool teachers and gave them crash courses in fractions and made them read Where the Red Fern Grows at gunpoint?

walrusman has a new favorite as of 09:02 on Feb 23, 2017

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Hahaha my these kids are so gullible (especially that last one).

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Well we weren't convinced you were right for our entry-level help desk job, but the way you picked up those groceries off the ground has convinced us that you're qualified to be assistant director of IT!

edit: did the PYF unpopular opinions thread go away? Cuz I got a doozy that I can't wait to poo poo out onto the internet semianonymously.

walrusman has a new favorite as of 02:24 on Apr 13, 2017

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Thanks friend.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

The key part that didn't happen was the happenstance nature of it all. A bored security guard fired up the NameTagger 3000 and made a badge for his dog, then presumably posted it on tumblr because what good is anything without the approval of anonymous Superwholockians?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Ohhhh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Why would you go with "I AM FASCIST..." instead of "I AM A FASCIST..."? If it's just for space considerations, couldn't they do "I'M A FASCIST..."?

Also who wants a coffee mug with just a plain old number on it?