Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

NonzeroCircle posted:

One of my service users gets mega constipated due to his meds and will lie about when he last pooped. Literally poo poo that didn't happen.

Do you tell him he's full of poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The world record for running speed is 27.8 mph. So just twenty minutes or so if boyfriend is as fast as Usain Bolt with unlimited stamina and is literally Captain America.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

cyberia posted:

Overtly sexual / flirtatious behaviour in children can be a sign that they have been molested or abused in some way, just to add another layer of creepy to your experiences :smith:

Overtly sexual behavior in 16 year olds is a sign they are 16 years old.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

poo poo, even a .22 pistol has been tested to penetrate interior walls just fine. There's extremely little in the way of ammo that won't pass into another room if you miss. The only surefire way to not risk it is to not miss the burglar.

Drywall is surprisingly not very resistant to bullets.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Biplane posted:

British Texas sounds like it'd be the worst place in the universe

The Republic of Texas had fairly good relations with the British Empire (if only out of desperation for allies), and Britain hoped to use it as a counterweight to the United States, even offering to guarantee Texas' borders against the US and Mexico to try to ward off US annexation. Britain's antislavery stance and unwillingness to piss off Mexico by officially recognizing the republic torpedoed it, though.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Guy was probably one of those fuckers who thinks the corporate-mandated politeness and smiling is a personal invitation.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

You guys must think the bible was a much sexier book than it actually is.

"My lover thrust his hand through the latch-opening; my heart began to pound for him. I arose to open for my lover, and my hands dripped with myrrh, my fingers with flowing myrrh, on the handles of the lock." - Song of Songs 5:4-5

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I think it's funny how they think a "mean look" in the real world is something intimidating.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Hot girl caught fire, plz advize.

Trap sprung, Ghost Rider located

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

What launches it into stdh is the cartoonishly evil customer

Nah, that part is real.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Pretty much all our profanities are centuries old, Victorian teenagers would've been cursing with gently caress and poo poo just like we do.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Absolutely heretical.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

oldpainless posted:

I don't get the pledge thing either. The fact you decide to continue to live in and pay taxes to a country shows your devotion more than a pledge

The Pledge was invented during the last wave of mass immigration from Europe, and was meant to emphasize the cutting of ties to the Old World and embracing their new American identity.

And to sell flags to schools.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Prism posted:

Does this come up for you regularly?

Saturn's parachute account spotted.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

That reminds me of an "A black dude talked to me on the train about Goku and I was like whoa" thing

These motherfuckers don't know black people loving LOVE Dragonball

Everybody loves Dragonball. The great unifier of humanity is our desire to scream at the top of our lungs and punch aliens in the face.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Also the film completely ruins the message it tries to tell: Wonder Woman shanks the dude she thinks is Ares and is dismayed when it doesn't end the war, and the real Ares tells her that man is inherently corrupt and he just gives them the tools to use themselves.....but as soon as he's killed, all the German soldiers stop fighting and start laughing and hugging each other and World War I ends in the next scene.

It could've been framed better, but The War was ending anyway. The heroes were trying to stop Ares/Ludendorff from sabotaging the armistice.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Catberry posted:

Why is it that whenever a person is given the chance to pass judgement on another person it always turns to poo poo :negative:

I feel like the biggest part of the problem is anybody who implements that poo poo always goes for a graduated scale, but only accepts perfect scoring.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

What's that theory that says humans have come so close to annihilating ourselves so many times, against staggering odds, which means we now live in an incredibly unlikely and therefore bizarre and ridiculous version of the universe

We actually went to nuclear war back in the 70s. All this is some hosed up Vault-Tec experiment.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

My little one is about a year old and if I dare to have a bowl of ice cream and she sees it, I'll be howled at until I give up the goods. I've gotta hide to have ice cream.

"Gee, Byzantine, why don't you wanna have kids?" :ocelot:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I would even go as far as to say that the people who are particularly obnoxious about it (with the aforementioned "crotchspawn/breeders" stuff and the childfree folks) often secretly want to have a family and just tell themselves how terrible it is as a way to cope with not having their desires fulfilled. Sorta like someone who doesn't get something they want and then says "WELL I DIDN'T REALLY WANT IT ANYWAYS."

Or it's because if you ever mention that you don't have or want kids, you get stared at like you just grew another head and then swarmed with "who'll take care of you when you're old" "you'll change your mind" "you were a kid too!" "no see, constant screaming is actually cool and good" "i can't eat ice cream without hiding in a locked off room, but you're weird!" etc. etc. and it really gets loving old.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

GreenMetalSun posted:

barely-legal child

One of the more interesting reactions to paedophiles is to expand the definition of "child" to cover adults.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ES IST MEIN KLASS

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

historically Catholics have been Greek

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Yes it does work sometimes, if the people are right for it. Why wouldn’t it?

Just like communism.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I think that if it wasn't Wonder Woman, it wouldn't have been nearly as well-received. I thought it was okay (which makes it the best DCU movie by far), but people acted like it's the second coming of Christ.

Yeah, it's more the second coming of Athena

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

hot take: i like ares' mustache

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gambor posted:

I know this is from last page, but whatever.

They could have ended Wonder Woman by having her realize that killing one entity won't end war and deciding to save the people she can instead of trying to be an agent of retribution. Like if, say, they made it so that she had to leave Ares behind to go save her squad buddies or something. You know, something that meshes with the point of the movie rather than saying that war is part of human nature, but then having WWI end when she kills Ares.

The war was already ending. The whole thing was to stop Ares from loving up the armistice going into effect.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

More like oldmerciless

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It's been years and I still read it first as MTGOX, that old bitcoin exchange that imploded

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's leaving aside the massive amount of cross-pollination that happened in the lead-up to the Renaissance (which would have been impossible without Islamic scholarship)

Eh, the biggest kick off was Byzantine scholars fleeing the Muslim conquest of Greece, bringing long-lost (to the West) classical texts with them. Islamic scholarship was in a downward swing after the Mongols loving annihilated Baghdad, one of the world's greatest centers of learning, in 1258, and they never had the Ancient Greek texts that Byzantium preserved.

Not to dispute your overall message, though. In fact, one of the crusading knightly orders is still around, the Knights Hospitallier - and they're currently working to help the refugees in the Mediterranean and Syria.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ain't no rule you can't pledge your soul to Ares.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Ah yes, the aggressive customer database

Utopia

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I think you're stretching. Childfree poo poo is a reaction to heavy social pressure that if you're not married and cranking out kids by 25 you're broken. The constant nagging about "when are you giving us grandchildren?", that kind of thing.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Angry Salami posted:

Cats and left-wing activism have a long history.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Going to take a lot to take that stereotype away from them. And unfortunately there is nothing that even a hundred men (or more) could ever do about it.

drat

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Jurgan posted:

My sister-in-lawnis terrified of giraffes for some reason. Also, they’re statistically the gayest mammals.

I've heard of deep throating, but this is ridiculous!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

A girl in high school seriously tried that. She was nuts and alienated all her friends, so she fell over in front of them and lightly tapped her head on the ground. She woke up doing the “Who are you? Where am I?” routine.

Brain scan showed absolutely no damage, but she stuck with it to everyone, parents and teachers included. It conveniently only wiped the memory of the last few years and only what she needed to have reset. We were advised to play along with it to keep her from doing something even more drastic.

That was 10 years ago now. Never talked to her since, so I know she got pregnant and married right out of high school but I don’t know if she kept it up.

...I mean, I'm kind of impressed by the commitment.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

lol if you aren't a Sun worshiper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I kinda loved the Marvel stuff when I went to Universal. It’s all very 90s time capsule and was nostalgic as heck.