Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Tea Bone posted:

The thing that drives me crazy about these kind of stories is if it really happened, the customer going nuts over nothing is clearly mentally handicapped. Well done, you just man handled and kicked someone who probably has the mental age of a child.

Not to mention that the manager was fine with physically assaulting a customer just to quote a stupid catchphrase. That sounds like its worth losing you job over.

Also I don't think I've ever seen a hardware store with a slammable front door, though I suppose there must still be one or two old mom n' pop stores out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Eponine posted:

What do people who think a mediocre spaghetti dinner is romantic and fancy eat on the regular? This is a serious question. I'm not a great chef and it's not like I plate my meals, but what do you usually eat that makes that special?

I guarantee you that spaghetti is the fanciest thing he knows how to make by himself. He'd ask mom to make something fancier but then she'd ask why he needs two plates.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Khazar-khum posted:

Soles

This covers pages but is worth it

http://imgur.com/a/hQndk

I love how much the doctor screws with him in his story.

"I'm sorry, sir. With your condition survival is unlikely."
"It's worse than we thought. You have 24 hours to live."
"Oh actually looks like we were wrong! You're going to be fine. False alarm!"
"No, wait, forgot to carry the one. You're still hosed. You've got like until morning, tops."

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

SerialKilldeer posted:

That part reminded me of a forum drama I heard about years ago, probably through the now defunct Fandom_Wank. Some girl who was apparently a big-name-fan claimed she was dying of a disease so rare that it didn't even have a name, and at one point her "sister" (rather obviously the pseuicide poster herself) claimed that the doctor had calculated that this patient with the ultra-rare nameless disease had exactly one hour to live. And the poor sad girl was watching the minutes tick away and not wanting to live anymore because no one on the forum believed her... At least no one demanded photos of feet.

Didn't a bunch of similar drama occur on Tumblr just last year, too? I think a bunch of people claimed they'd attempted suicide over anonymous hate, and then tried to dismiss these posts as the work of hackers.

A year or two ago some kid pretended to have leukemia so that his favorite youtuber would do a Let's Play of his Mario World romhack.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think we get the kinds of coupons in Canada that you do in the US. I've never seen any combination of coupons here that could make it cheaper to buy 120 of something than just a few.

The savings comes from taking advantage of a low sale price and stocking up. If some combination of coupons gets you a pack of toilet paper for 50 cents, you buy enough to last for years and store it. Now whenever you need a new pack, you grab one of the packs you got for 50 cents instead of paying a few bucks at the store.

e: oh, I misundertood you post I think. A lot of the extreme coupon people get such low prices by looking for combinations and loopholes that the store overlooked.

Hardcordion has a new favorite as of 15:52 on May 2, 2016

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Heard my neighbors wife calling for help, that her husband was beating her. Walked into my living room, pulled my hunting shotgun off the wall, threw in a few shells and walked out there door across the street but expecting to do anything. As I walked up to the end of the driveway I saw him on top of her strangling her. I racked a shell and pointed it strait at his head about 6ft away and yelled as loud as I could to get the neighborhoods attention.GET THE gently caress OF HER OR I'LL BLOW YOUR HEAD OFF!We started yelling at each other, him mostly denying what he was doing and threatening to get his gun. He kept stepping towards me, I kept walking backwards to keep my distance. One of my neighbors ran up and talked him down all while I kept the gun pointed at him. For a a few seconds I had the safety off and my finger on the trigger, I almost killed him, and if my neighbor hadn't stopped the situation I'm sure I would have.The sheriff and state police arrived, all my neighbors are paranoid hippies that though i was going to jail for what I did, but the officers were happy that I intervened and that I held my composure.After all was over I unloaded my gun and realized that I had reversed my usual self defense rounds. I usually load so my first shot is a bird shot shell, then buck, then a slug. The slug was racked first, I would have literally blown his head clean off, yikes!TL;DR almost killed my neighbor found him strangling his wife, I wish I had, there is no place in this world for men like him.

I don't know much about guns or hunting but shouldn't all his "self defense" rounds be bird shot? In what situation would an attacker be so unphased by a non-lethal gunshot that higher firepower is needed? Is he expecting the Terminator to come after him or something?

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

That is what we in the industry call a "joke".

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Engineering students aren't party animals, they're nerds who are desperate to rebrand themselves as party animals.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I love that the robber just happened to be carrying a bottle of acid. What was he going to with it, melt into a safe? Where did he even get it in the first place?

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Tunicate posted:

Throwing acid on people's faces is distressingly common.

I'm aware of that, but those are cases where the assailant specifically wants to disfigure and torture someone. Why would you take it with you to robbery, especially when you're already armed with a shotgun? Even if you're worried about getting disarmed, I'd think pocket sand or something would make a better back up weapon.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

chitoryu12 posted:

I had a short-lived friend in the neighborhood back in middle school or 9th grade (can't remember how long he lasted). He was a few years younger than me and one of only two friends I had within walking distance, so he came over to my house fairly often to play video games and stuff like that. He had a chronic problem with telling fantastic stories about himself and his relatives which could never possibly be true. The only one I remember with any clarity was that he said his dad drove down to the Mexican border to shoot a bunch of badass privately owned weapons like an AA-12 (he conveniently couldn't remember what shotgun it was until I prodded him).

I don't think he was autistic or anything, or really had any disorders beyond probably ADHD. He was just a lonely kid trying to make himself seem cool.

That's pretty common in kids, isn't it? I know I definitely had a few "My uncle works at Nintendo" types at my school. Usually they grow out of it by high school though.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Ryoshi posted:

Wanting to be intimate with your wife = being a rapist, you heard it here first folks!

Dude's an rear end in a top hat sure but Thin Privilege is a goddamn moron.

At the end of the story he's at least manipulating his ex-wife emotionally for sex. I still wouldn't call the guy a rapist though, because none of this actually happened.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I think if I were a kid in that class I'd just be amazed that we were able to physically damage an apple just by saying negative words aloud to it. Magic is real! :stare:

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Nuclear War posted:

Whats different in the Shrek version? If it is different enough, why would ANYONE know that version by heart instead of the extremely well known original?

It's not different. Kids first heard the song in Shrek so that's how they refer to it. I assume by "Shrek version" they mean as opposed to the hymn.

Hardcordion has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Jul 26, 2016

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
No joke, just this weekend I ended up waiting for a bus with a guy in a goggled top hat, suit jacket and skull-topped cane from the halloween store. I was on my way to a comic art show myself so I asked if he was heading there as well. He said no, he just likes wearing that outfit while going about his day. Then we stood there awkwardly until the bus arrived.

I'd call him a weirdo but at least he seemed to understand why people would think he's odd for dressing like that, unlike that victorian couple.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I'm pretty sure they were just trying to say that its impressive that you made a renaissance costume yourself, not that they literally cannot understand how cutting and sewing fabric together makes clothes. I mean, I know they're just stupid millennials but give them a little credit.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

System Metternich posted:

People actually believe this :cripes:

Don't worry. If Zuckerburg doesn't pull through, Trump will go away all by himself.

329k likes, 59k comments

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Non Serviam posted:

None of that necessarily means she was driving. It doesn't matter though, who cares.

"Head on" would imply she was traveling in the direction the drunk driver was coming from. If she wasn't driving, she was walking down the street in the middle of the road.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

That STDH was a lot more entertaining when it was about three numbered pigs released on a college campus.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

How exactly do you switch a sleeping person's pajamas without waking them?

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Elysiume posted:

It's an allergy to non-primate mammal meat, so you basically just get to eat poultry/fish/seafood.

Plus all the monkey stew you want!

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Besesoth posted:

(Which connects up to the math story, actually; basic math tells you that nothing is bigger than infinity, but advanced math can acknowledge that there are multiple infinities, and so I wonder if ∞ counts as a digit. ∞^∞^∞ is a lot bigger than 9^9^9.)

Infinity is a mathematical concept, not a number in the normal sense and definitely not a digit.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Paladinus posted:

A quick search reveals, it was drawn by a sixteen year old girl from Turkey. But otherwise it's true.

So true except for all of it.

Edit: I mean, I guess the guy might actually be a miner for a living but I'm skeptical at this point.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

life is killing me posted:

I just don't understand why people feel the need to tell these obviously bullshit stories when it accomplishes nothing. Many of them are trying to seem enlightened and on the side of social justice but they just come off as lying douchebags who are desperate for someone to approve of them.

I mean, there's your answer.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Lamebook usually isn't too bad now-a-days, but this is awful

Something like this happened to me once actually. I don't quite remember if it was due to delays or whatever but my dad and I ended up being two of only about seven or eight passengers on-board for a flight that would normally hold at least 120. I don't know how believable the Metalica and the pilot's comments are but the crew definitely seemed more relaxed than usual and the attendants told us jokes and stories about working in the airline industry over the PA. It was pretty rad honestly.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Kontradaz posted:

And then the pilot lost his job for endangering the lives of everyone but hey atleast you got to see some dark clouds and lightning.

I'd say "without endangering the lives of everyone" is implicit in "as close as possible".

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Tired Moritz posted:

In exchange, buses are walking death machines here.

What, like an AT-AT? That's so cool, our buses just have wheels here!

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Ytlaya posted:

I think in many cases people realize the stories are fake, but treat them as real as part of an unspoken "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" agreement. Like, if everyone in a social group constantly believes and compliments each other, they'll be believed and complimented in turn. This sort of faux-kindness seems especially common in the south, though I'm sure it exists in Facebook groups for housewives and what have you elsewhere as well.

I remember reading an interesting article written by someone who used to be involved in otherkin communities and that sort of thing is rampant there. Everyone believed everyone else's bullshit because their own bullshit would be believed in turn. Even if someone's story contradicts itself or is proven to be untrue, anything other than 100% acceptance would get you ostracized for being too mean. If anyone knows the article I'm talking about I'd appreciate a link.

EDIT:

chitoryu12 posted:

You might be talking about melted-snowflake, a sadly defunct Tumblr by a former otherkin. That sounds exactly like one of the articles they wrote.

Oh yeah, that name sounds familiar.

Hardcordion has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Apr 5, 2017

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

System Metternich posted:

I loving hate that Tumblr trend of writing everything in capitals. At least that “I'm so furious/sad/literally shaking that I have forgotten how to spell“ bullshit seems to have disappeared, thank God

Are you talking about the keyboard mashing thing like "I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY DID THAT HNGNWZSUJGHEUO"? I've been seeing that a lot lately and I sigh internally every time.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Pineapple on a pizza is gross but sticking a filthy $5 bill from the cash register in the box with the food, that's good eatin'!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

ghost emoji posted:

I'm so glad I was an Animorphs kid instead of a Harry Potter kid.

Yeah, the worst thing that animorphs fans grew up into are the transformation fetishists and at least they keep it to deviantart.