Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Wait, have I got this right? There are no bacon covered hot dogs in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

ibntumart posted:

Google tells me that apparently Norwegians use a type of sasuage very similar to hot dogs, eaten in flatbread with ketchup and mustard. I have no idea why a slightly different bread and the inclusion of bacon would blow the mind of any American. We've been consuming bacon-wrapped hot dogs for generations.

e: I'm feeling nostalgic... this STDH belongs in every iteration of this thread!

Yeah I'm actually Norwegian, and I was surprised that Americans found it so amazing that they had sausages with bacon in Norway. In parts of Norway we also have hot dogs with soft waffles as the bread.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Historical STDH

Mao Zedong when he was 73 years old swam 15km (around 9.3 miles) in 1 hour 5mins which would have made him a world champion by a large margin.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

I smell a fedora

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

I was excepting some creepy Jesus-y "keep your virginity" story

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

I don't get the STDH here, plenty of people I know keep a slang word list when learning a new language.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

JEzebel is actually a really good site and that article owns

for me to poop on

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

How can anything be so aggressively boring?

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I experienced some of those false memories which often turn into STDH stories. I was convinced I went to a live game to watch my local soccer team play in 2010, I could vividly remember the atmosphere and noise, the strange thing though is that I have no idea who they played against, what the result was, or on which specific date it was. Still I managed for some reason to convince my self that I was there, and only realized that I didn't attend that game (or any game during that season) like two days ago.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
From a discussion about a $40k Ferrari

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

If it's in China like I think it is, I might believe it. People get wired about Apple products here in China, and online shopping scams are incredibly common.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

System Metternich posted:

So is it good? I thought the trailers looked good, and Gal Gadot (politics aside) is :allears:, so I would certainly be interested. But otoh it's really sad that all it needs is a female superhero protagonist for literally everyone to lose their poo poo, either because MAH SUPERHEROES or because all it takes is apparently a movie to redefine all of the societal gender discourse or something?

I really liked it, not perfect but very enjoyable unlike most DC movies. My wife hated it though.

Edit: Gal Gadot was really good and was the only part my wife liked.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

timefly posted:

"Wait before you start talking let me hit record, I'm gonna want to type this up for Facebook"

e: It's more dangerous for boys, but ESPECIALLY for girls :psyduck:

Also lol at the "it's for population control, so China doesn't use it" implying that China would never dare to control population through shady rear end practices.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
My dad, when he was in better health used to tell amazing stories from his travels. Most of them I assume are made up, but they were told very well so I never minded. Some of those which I remember (these were all supposed to have happened in the 1960's and 1970's):

- Visiting East Berlin when checkpoint charlie was suddenly closed and he couldn't get back to West. He spent a few days sleeping on the streets before meeting with Soviet human traffickers in a seedy bar who got him to west Germany.

- Spending the night under the stars in an abandoned half finished hotel in central Mexico when the Mexican bus driver refused to take them to Mexico City before nightfall. Coyotes were of course circling the structure.

- Warding off an attempted robbery in Guatemala by swinging a bag full of canned food at the attackers and scaring them away (not sure if there were hits or not).

- Having to turn back from a port in "Yemen or Saudi Arabia" when someone released a flock of pigs into town trying to spark a revolution.

- When he was a tour guide on a tourist ship in Norway, a dutch passenger in his tour group suddenly went missing when they were in the far north. My dad was then detained and questioned for many hours as it was suspected that the Dutch tourist was either a spy or defector to the Soviet Union.

- During military service my dad was set to guard the Norwegian royal summer residence. One beautiful summer day, he took off his top, and took a nap while on guard. He was them woken up by the then king of Norway who had a friendly chat with him about the nice weather.

I know that he has been to all those places, and he did a lot of travel and had different jobs. Did any of the stories above happen though? Probably not, but I also don't really care as the stories were always so entertaining to hear.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

I think the mall ninja story was the apex of that, although I can't remember if that originated here or not.

Was that the guy who tried to explain how getting shot at was some amazing tactical decision?

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
stdh: Political derails in PYF being interesting and insightful.

Here have some NAR:

quote:

Lacking A Different Kind Of Brand Awareness
BAD BEHAVIOR, ENGLAND, IGNORING & INATTENTIVE, LONDON, RETAIL, UK | RIGHT | FEBRUARY 9, 2018
(I work in a large department store. The homewares department is made up of a lot of different brands, all with their own staff. However, you can pay at any cash register, so quite often I will be putting another company’s product through my till. A customer comes to the till with one of my items and an armful of items from [Brand], whose till is just across from mine.)

Customer: “Can I pay for all of this here?”

Me: “Yes, that’s no problem!”

(I scan my item and wrap it, then start on the items from [Brand].)

Customer: “Do you have more of those?”

Me: “Unfortunately, this is from a different department, so I don’t know about their stock levels. Their own staff will be able to help you with that!”

Customer: “Okay… What about these, do you have more of these?”

Me: “These are also from [Brand], so I’m afraid I don’t have any information.”

Customer: “You probably have them in your stockroom, though, right? Can’t you just check?”

Me: “I only have access to my brand’s stockroom, so they’re definitely not in there!”

Customer: “But I need more.”

Me: “Well, if you ask the gentleman standing just over there in the blue shirt, he is the manager of [Brand]. He will definitely have the answers for you. Sorry I can’t be of more help!”

Customer: *sigh* “Fine, whatever.”

(I finish the transaction, and the customer moves to the end of the till to sort out his bags and put his receipt and change away. I move on to the next customer in line.)

Customer #2: “Hi, I was hoping to get a set of [item]; do you have any more?”

Me: “Yes, absolutely. We just got a box in this morning. I’ll just grab them for you.”

Customer #1: “YOU LAZY COW!”

Me: “Excuse me?”

Customer #1: “I kept asking you for more s***, and you kept saying you didn’t have any! You f****** liar! You just couldn’t be bothered to even check!”

Me: “Sir, I explained to you that the items you wanted were not from my department, so I was unable to check for you. This customer is purchasing my stock, so I can get more. I’m sorry for the confusion, but as I said before, the manager just behind you—”

Customer #1: “You’re such a lazy f****** idiot. How did you even get a job for [Brand]?!”

Me: “Well, I didn’t. I work for [My Brand], and if you had asked for more of my own items, I would have been able to get them. Instead, I directed you to the appropriate person, who is still standing in the same spot, waiting to help you. I hope you’re able to find everything you need. Have a lovely night.”

(The customer proceeded to go to the [Brand] manager and give him a list of reasons he should fire me, despite being told, once again, that I didn’t even work for them!)

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I studied in Norway, and we used slightly different wording for open book exams. On open book exams it was written that "All aides are allowed". One of my professors told us that one year, one student brought in his older brother who was some sort of phd expert in the subject as an aide, and due to the wording they had to allow it. That could very well be stdh.txt.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

quote:

If you are playing the dating game, chances are you will have a date from hell. It's just part of dating jungle out there. You're going to meet some pretty strange and weird women.

One of the worst dates you can have is these women that flirt and come on to other guys while you are on a date. They are so full of themselves and love to be the center of attention. Nothing can be so rude and such a turn-off as your date throwing herself at other guys.

While we are on the subject of dates from hell, let me tell you about one of several of mine:

I met this really fine girl at the beach that had the best body I had ever seen in my life. I was just driving around on the beach in my Corvette with the T-tops off and this beautiful girl in a hot bikini flagged me down and said, "That's really a find Corvette, can I go for a ride in it?" Of course, I took her up on it.

We seemed to hit it off really well and she asked me if I could give her a ride home (she came to the beach with her brother in his car). She seemed a little drunk and later I found out that she was an alcoholic.

Anyway, we stopped by my place on the way to her apartment that late afternoon. It had been a very hot day and I looked in my backyard to check on my German Shepherd. He was lying there lifeless and his body was very warm. There had been a thunderstorm earlier in the day and I know from experience that when this happens he freaks out and paces back and forth endlessly. Also, he had turned over his water bowl and had no water. So apparently he had literally run himself to death in the heat with no water.

I rushed him to the vet and on the way the girl kept crying and giving my dog mouth-to-mouth resuscitation (can you imagine this?). It was too late and there was no hope for the dog and he died of a heat stroke.

To make a long story short, I dated her a couple of more times and she was always drunk and she confessed that she had a drinking problem. So, let me tell you what happened on our last date from hell:

I took her to a nice romantic Italian restaurant and then we took a helicopter tour of Houston, TX. Later that night we went to a nightclub. All she did all night was flirt and talk to other guys. I let her know I didn't appreciate it either. So, I finally got her to leave cause I couldn't take it anymore. We were on our way back to my house and she wanted to stop by the lake. So we were walking along the pier and insisted that she wanted to jump in the lake.

I told her not to jump in the lake because she was drunk and may drown. We argued back and forth and before I knew it she jumps in the lake with her clothes on. She swam out about 50 yards and then I saw her struggling and started going underwater. So, I had to jump in the lake to save her. There was another guy on the pier and he helped me bring her up on the pier. She was ok, thank God.

So, there we were both soak and wet and I was pissed. I took her home so she could put on some dry clothes. While I wasn't looking, she had taken some of my antidepressant prescription pills and passed out. She was like a corpse. I loaded her up in my jeep and took her back to her apartment. She slept all day and didn't show up for work.

I learned later that she was suicidal and that was the reason she jumped in the lake and took my pills. Needless to say, I never dated this mental case again.

So, the moral to this article is that there's a good chance that you will have a date from hell. Just chalk it up as experience and as the saying goes, "crap happens."

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
This is, no poo poo, the guy who wrote that dating story:

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The origin story of Candace Owens is that she made a site for doxxing internet bullies during GamerGate, either Zoe and/or Anita told her that's a bad idea, then GGers started harassing her while saying it's Zoe/Anita's fault. She decided that means Zoe/Anita sent the harassers, so she became a GGer->alt-righter->Trumpist

And here I thought that gamer gate couldn't be any more loving stupid.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

That second one is "partially true" according to Snopes https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cuff-linked/ didn't happen in Oregon though.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
There actually was a public campaign in Singapore urging parents to not put so much pressure on kids to get top grades all the time, there even was an advert or PSA but I cannot find it. However, an actual principal writing something like that? Yeah, probably didn't happen.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Is it only white nurses who say it, or do even POC do it?

Not a nurse, but here is what rapper DMX had to say about Barrack Obama during the 2008 presidential race:

quote:

What the gently caress?! That ain’t no fuckin’ name, yo. That ain’t that nigga’s name. You can’t be serious. Barack Obama. Get the gently caress outta here.

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2008/03/dmx-here-i-am/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Found one in the wild