Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Furia posted:

Because in their animes sociopathy is lighthearted and accepted and a trait of genius or something

I'll never quite grasp when or why being a broken person became/is cool

the phrase "Refuge in Audacity" springs to mind and then i looked it up and it's a Trope :classiclol:

I guess it must be one of the vanishingly few useful ones. Have you met people in your life who were so socially marginalized that they've given up even paying lip service to fitting in, and actively try to alienate themselves further by being deliberately unbearable? Through various means they sometimes find one another, assure each other "you're perfect exactly as you are! we are outsiders!" and reinforce the behavior through one of the geek social fallacies, and are convinced they've "won" the game against those jock popular kids, like they've cracked the code. The tvtropes website for very obvious reasons became a hotbed for folks like this, whose primary means of interpersonal interaction is online dialogue with other vengeful marginalized nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Kajeesus posted:

Plenty of tropes are viable literary analysis/social commentary. The site lasted a decently long time before anime boob charts and insular pedo communities scared everyone away.

Good point.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Can't wait for the rest of the inevitable Pokemon Go stdh to start bubbling out. "I met someone who is [demographic], and to my surprise, they also play pokemon! We are not all so different after all"

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Dude in the 3 am walk story told the guys on the bench how he got an Evee. Is this just a continuing story of a white kid living and learning about Pokemon as he encounters Magical Negroes?

Postal Parcel posted:

That(3DS) is the prequel. Now, 20+ years later, older and "wiser" he once again meets a new black generation to "play" pokemon with while simultaneously being terrified.
KEEP IT REAL
:gary:

Paladinus posted:

Ah, so that's the difference between Pokemon Black and White.

:gary: :yarg:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Inconsistencies are the best part of STDH stories.

Followed closely by the frantic doubling down if someone calls them out on it

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

My buddy Orangejello is pretty knowledgeable about stuff like this. With him, his brothers Redjello and Greenjello, and his sister Vagina working on it, we'll have an answer in no time.

I get all my Pokemon tips from Female

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Yeah as a teacher id def want my students making presentations that are chock full of memes

the real sth: No one ever liked me when I was a kid so now I succeed vicariously through fake younger versions of myself in stdhs I write and post on imgur

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Paladinus posted:

It's a teacher who themselves posts memes on imgur, though. People like that really exist.

Memes make me feel at least 8 years younger.

This is true. And I guess if any part of this stdh is true, at least that weirdass kid has a teacher that gets him.

Xen Tricks posted:

I sat through a presentation one time in comp Sci class, packed with such gems as do u liek mudkips about 2-3 years after that stopped being a thing. Hideously awkward, no one laughed. No one ever will.

That's just unpleasant. And you wonder if the presenter is thinking to themself "Hmph, jocks, they just don't get my sense of humor" when it's like most of us are nerds as well, and we "get" the jokes we just do not wish to be presented with them

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Spending years teaching a student how to be a good print journalist and then seeing poo poo like this must be heartbreaking

Editing is really a lost art.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

hyperhazard posted:

Not to mention, what was she menstruating out of? Her urethra?

See, the sex made the urethra bleed and she's a dumb woman so she thought that was her period!! :haw: Women amirite lol

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Thin Privilege posted:

Oh and lots of people who say Jews have sex through a hole in a bedsheet.

it's all just a mistranslation. They use the same holes as everybody else

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Khazar-khum posted:

(a slightly different kind of sheepish to the JW, it has to be said). Her interactions with a different but, at the same time, very similar group of boys (you know what I mean, right?)
No! I don't!

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

flosofl posted:

I know they're just nerd fantasy. But every single time, they manage to piss me off. Every. Single. Time.

As a child/teen I didn't get why people hated nerds. Troper Tales make me understand

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Gender-swapped example of "guys of online dating" ?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

blue story's husband

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

I KRIED B/C A MAN YELLED IN THE THEAT

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

LIKE if u cry every time a ghost busts

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

He needed to specify it was the Shrek version for [reason], he didn't want you to have the wrong mental versimillitude

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

I just think it's weird how many of those stories involve teachers when it's still July and the game came out this month.

Some regions have year round school, so etc

Also even nerds have to go to summer school sometimes

I like the cartoon exchange one even though it's fake. Most of these stdhs end with one person being the obvious, superior victor, but this just ends with both sides putting aside their differences and being pals :shobon: More stdhs ought to be a lesson in humility imo.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

To be fair, I can understand why someone who has only played the game by themselves wouldn't realize this. Unless you're specifically around other people who inform you of the fact they're trying to catch the same thing as you, you probably wouldn't realize that the game works this way.

Right and the people who write these things aren't likely to be around others, let alone others who will interact with them voluntarily.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

You're trying to conclude that the idiot is a misogynist simply because (in his fantasy) he is mad because his best friend ended up dating a girl he likes?

People can have issues with someone, even if they're wrong for having them, without you needing to go into a ridiculous tangent of hate against women.

Good that it didn't happen though.

"hates a woman" not "hates women"

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

Sung in fluent Bohemian.

by a baby Muslim veteran refusing to use food stamps. pokemon

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Would you any expect less from "buttertitsaretasty?" the e.e.e cummings of our time?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Tunicate posted:

It was a rule that you shouldn't use first person so naturally they just referred to themselves as 'this troper' instead of 'I' because :spergin:

I'm failry sure that the reason for that rule to begin with was to keep the "real life examples" sections of trope pages relatively clear of exactly this kind of dumb crap. Now, one might argue there shouldn't be a "real life examples" section on a site dedicated to tropes in fiction, but I can see its value and interest in a trivia sort of way rather than a "I cannot tell the difference between real life and my animes" type of way. Bit by bit though as people became familiar with the "This Troper" loophole, it became a breeding ground for spinning these yarns because, well, if you aren't cool in real life, make up a story about how you were cool in a fictional-type way, right? Over time the "real life examples" became so bloated that IIRC they might have been banned or split off to a different site, at least for the heavily abused tropes such as Crowning Moment of Awesome and similar things.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Zelder posted:

Inter gender MMA, now there's a good idea

THE PATRIARCHY SMACKDOWN

FEMI-FISTS VS MEN'S RIGHTFISTS ADVOCATES

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

A Tumblr post that I saw today:

I wondered what it would have been like growing up in a late 90's, early 00's school sitcom

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Tendales posted:

Neither the doctor nor the nurse apologized once, this clearly did not take place in canada.

The writer neglected to mention the hospital's overwhelming and pervasive smell of syrup.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Things have gone downhill for the Dos Equis guy.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Tunicate posted:

It's as if they're awful creatures who suck the joy out of the world by sheer proximity.

Kissing one would be a soul-destroying experience.

the human body instinctively fights even against itself to survive in a life or death situation

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

I bet 50% of them are the shy nerd that stands in the corner but is actually kinda normal when you engage them. The other 50% are probably almost as insufferable irl as they are on the net.

That's possible. A lot of the dumb stories are probably just dumb posturing for nerd cred. Which is sad that that exists as a thing.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

So much edge youre just a circle

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

what the

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

A nitpick- shoudln't he like, not be wearing a wedding ring? I thought dudes wearing wedding rings was like a post WW2 thing

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

At first I forgot the context and thought of a different picture entirely.

well they are assholes

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

i hope the next bug in the shower goes on the girl. like she looks down and it's right on her feet. a long house centipede of a bug.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I've had friends who assumed that all their clothes were made entirely by robots, not by miserable workers in a sweat shop in Bangladesh. I've also had housemates confused that I would repair torn hems and torn-off buttons on shirts instead of buying a new one. The idea that sometimes people will make a whole outfit out of lengths of fabric, for fun, really is beyond some people's imagining. Especially if they've led a very sheltered life up to that point.

Yeah I absolutely buy KK's story. Just being able to sew is a bamboozling concept to some people, being able to actually make something altogether (these days, in a first world country) is sorcery.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

This post on my feed gave me a bit of a smile. good on ya

:unsmith:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

"Storytime, kids" is code for "I'm a self-important asswipe" unless you are actually a schoolteacher or grandparent.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

The priest stood up and clapped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

black people, the most amusing race