Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
24 year old boy

cash crab posted:

Yeah, I always heard that people who regain senses they'd lost for a long time spend the first few days like, "AAAAAUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHH" until they get used to it.

Yup, pretty much :v: I've had rellos who have been deaf, get a cochlear implant or whichever one it is I'm thinking of, and it's like "WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS poo poo :gonk:" for quite a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
So are $2 notes really uncommon (because ????????) in the US or is the manager just really dim

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

bringmyfishback posted:

You are 100% right, BUT I went to private school in the US and we did actually have a headmaster! His name was Baxter Ball and he was very fat. We loved him.

Are you sure you're not from the UK because that sounds Britishy as gently caress

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

jodai posted:

That's good to know. I thought there were just a lot of weeaboos but for British culture that submitted stuff.

I like to call them "teeaboos".

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Type "I wish I were British" into your search engine of choice and prepare to kill yourself because of the cringe.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Good work, you assaulted a kid and then got beat up by kids????

Also why the gently caress is the bacon hot dog thing highlighted

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Ytlaya posted:

Isn't that bra also really big? Like, in a "fat person" way rather just having a big chest.

It could be, I am bad at perspective and poo poo, but to me it mostly looks old and worn. Source: I have seen (and worn) many an old lovely bra.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I want to believe that the girlfriend does exist, she tried really hard to make that spag bol, and it's just her lovely boyfriend using his lovely phone camera to take a lovely photo that makes it look so lovely (I have tried taking photos of my room in low light with the flash on and it looks similarly atrocious). But I'm pretty sure the girlfriend doesn't exist and that's some microwaved spaghetti out of a box.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Post Your Favorite (or Request) > shit_that_didnt_happen.txt: at least I have pristine genitalia

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

cash crab posted:

I once got a stern talking to by a complete stranger for saying "person with autism". Apparently, I was robbing a theoretical person of their experience... somehow.

e: low effort STDH

Generally with "do I use 'person-first' terminology or not????" dilemmas the best thing to do is to use whatever the person in question feels most comfortable with. It tends to vary with different illnesses, disorders, personality types or conditions too, so you're more likely to see "deaf person" used than "person with hearing impairment". "Person with autism" or "autistic person" is largely down to personal preference and opinion. (Needless to say, "X is an autistic" or "X is an autist" is poor form.)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

oldpainless posted:

When in doubt just use the phrase (person) has "a touch of the 'tism"

My brother doesn't think it's "appropriate" for me to say I have burgers of the rear end :saddowns:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I logged even better than a four-minute mile on Endomondo once :smug: I forgot to turn it off while I was in the car :ssh:

e:

Marenghi posted:

One Direction aren't gay. Or is that the joke, I'm not sure what makes that event so funny.

I'm pretty sure one of them's gay, but I've only heard any of this from my 15-year-old 1D-fan baby cousin, who is coincidentally at that age where straight girls find gay guys to be sex on legs

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

a trolley posted:

Many fans of One Direction believe in an all-encompassing conspiracy theory that two of the members are gay and in love, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Pretty much. Girls have a fascination with the idea that their cute idols could be secretly smooching on one another. I thought it was a fairly recent thing but my mum assures me that there was lots of theorising about whether the members of Skyhooks or Sherbert were totally hooking up with each other and how hot that would be when she was a teen, so :v:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

My Lovely Horse posted:

I guarantee you somewhere in the world there's a buried cuneiform tablet containing hardcore Gilgamesh/Enkidu action.

canon

Slightly Lions posted:

Achilles/Patroclus/Hector love triangle.

canon

Mr. Belpit posted:

There have to be Victorian-era Holmes/Watson slashfics hidden somewhere.

Sherlock Holmes fans have been loving insane since the first book was published, so yes, there probably are

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
From imgur, someone's friend works at a burger store and got this:

It could well be real but if it is the writer is probably insufferable anyway so

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

These all sound realistic to me?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Please ensure that your pinecone is over the age of 16, 18, or 21, depending on your jurisdiction.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

sweeperbravo posted:

It's the SAME THING, duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why else would people go on all those hormones and surgeries except an insatiable lust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????? :bahgawd:

Unironically what one of my ex-housemates believed (and many other people besides) :negative:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

PublicOpinion posted:

Here's a fun one that I saw on tumblr:

I like these ones where the writer of the STDH ends up looking like more of an rear end in a top hat than the assholes they're writing about.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Someone who describes the person they're flirting with as "a comely stranger" would probably be head over heels for the type of of person who gives out heads of broccoli instead of flowers. They will probably really like each other and can be insufferable quirky together forever.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
It's usually pronounced "koo-pon" in English, but I've heard other English speakers annoy Americans by facetiously pronouncing it "kyoo-pon". The joke being that Americans usually drop the Y sound in words like "tulip" etc (they say "too-lip" rather than "tyoo-lip") and it sounds really weird.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Wizard of Smart posted:

It's not facetious it's how many people legitimately pronounce it. Hurray for dialectical differences!

I know it's also sometimes legitimately pronounced like that, but there are people who'll pronounce it a different way to be funny or annoy people who dislike a certain pronunciation. My aunt gets very annoyed if anyone says "haitch" instead of "aitch", so some relatives who would usually say "aitch" say "haitch" to grind her gears. Same thing.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Murphy Brownback posted:

I've never encountered people doing that kind of thing to be annoying, but I have definitely known people who start using british pronunciations and britishisms, even sometimes slipping into a fake british accent after watching dr who/downton abbey/etc. In those cases I think it's reasonable to be mad at the person because they're doing it for such a stupid reason.

Death to all teeaboos

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Don't be an rear end in a top hat to retail employees, you rear end in a top hat

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Filox posted:

New page content: I once had sex. With a human being.

Hey, you never know, this one could have hap- hahaha no I can't do it

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I'm 90% sure only one goon ever has had sex with a human being, and he got demodded for it

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

I "hate" it when people "fail" at "emphasising" things like that

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
If you ship actual human beings IRL, you're a bad person.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
How old are these kids meant to be? It seems to vary between writing them as if they're 8 and as if they're 15 and as if they're every in between.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, white Engineering students really loving like drinking heavily the instant they get into uni. I'd assume it's because they're only kept in line by domineering helicopter parents throughout high school, and then the moment they move into a sharehouse or on-campus living and turn 18 they start making up for lost time.

Also I will never not find Americans referring to utes as "trucks" hilarious. Also American moms calling their kids FirstName MiddleName when they're mad :mad:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

For gently caress's sake

Also everyone knows you find Mews under trucks, not Onix.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
There was talk a few pages ago of the creation of false memories and these stories are great examples of it. Most of them are beat for beat retellings of wild speculative "wouldn't it be funny if...?" stories made up before Go was released - the innocuous person nicking your rare Poke and being a Team Rocket member, scary person helping you out and you bond over Japanese cartoons, dropping sick Pokéburns on assholes and catching the rare Mon you've been after for hours. Even though it's observably not how that works in the actual game now. But it's got enough real elements and the original stories have been circulating for long enough that they fuse together and people are convinced they actually happened.

I wonder how many of these people totally did go to school with a La-a or an Abcde?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Xen Tricks posted:

The fact that he's saying he had an "acute" illness for four years is making me irrationally annoyed

Saying he "cured" acute appendicitis is what's doing it for me.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
What a weirdo, everyone knows [redacted] guys are the hottest ethnicity of all. And don't even get me started on [redacted] women, phwoar!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I have a Pokestop outside the front of my place (painted signal box) and a gym across the road (big ol' church), so there are greasy nerds loitering outside on the footpath or in the church's parking lot at odd hours. Luckily I'm round the back of my place so only my neighbours near the front of the property have their sleep disturbed by weirdos celebrating that they've caught a Rapidash :cool:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Ytlaya posted:

I can understand someplace with the density of Manhattan, but I hear this sort of thing from people who sound like they live in more or less suburban areas. It's probably just a coincidence that I haven't seen any yet (or that they've seen so many people).

I'm right between a uni campus and a big-rear end pub that serves mostly uni students, so my area is thick with greasy nerds at all times. Now they're attracted to my place like a Venomoth to a Talonflame.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

depressing as gently caress

this didn't happen as gently caress

cringey as gently caress

the version from shrek as gently caress

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I've heard it used fairly frequently in Australia, don't know about elsewhere. I always get emails from my mum telling me to "send me what you want for Christmas/birthday". Same from my northern English Granny when she was alive. It's one of those things like "bring a plate" where extra information is assumed (send me a list of what you want, bring a plate of food). I always find it weird and jarring when people say "he wrote me" rather than "he wrote to me", similarly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
It's kind of disconcerting how many stdh.txts can be summarised as "I kicked a hot girl/black guy in the teeth".