Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am v glad to hear edgar finally made a good film but I thought this was IIMM or something wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Someone make a list of all the warning symbols that appear on chemical containers but add in a pic of Dustin Hoffman at the end.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

I especially like this because O- blood is nearly always stocked because it doesn't have antibodies or Rh factor; it's the universal donor.

Yeah that's why it's actually really hard to stock because it's so useful. I'm constantly getting texts from the blood service telling me stocks are low pls come in.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have O- DELUXE AKA it's also suitable for newborns

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Catberry posted:

See you're the blood sucker. They take your blood and give it to others but when you need it they'll be all out.

I have 0+ fygm blood. They always have mine in stock and I can take yours too.

A friend of mine has 0- and they always hassle him to give blood but he refuses because donating blood makes him fatigued for over a week afterwards.

I've been injecting my dog with my blood for years so if I ever need any I'll just take it back out along with his fundamental dog essence and become even more powerful. Use your woof woof next time, idiot.

ilmucche posted:

I thought AB+ was the universal receptor. O- universal donor.

Yeah that's right! So it means O- is the best for donations but the worst to have because you have less total blood that can be donated to you.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ilmucche posted:

Cool, I was confused because other poster referred to O+ as fygm blood, when it's still pretty good to donate. Although I guess only + people can take it?

Yeah exactly! It's definitely the easiest blood to have outside of the universal receptor because it's so common and then you have O- on top of it!

O Positive 47
A Positive 26
B Positive 9
O Negative 8
A Negative 5
B Negative 2
AB Positive 2
AB Negative 1

Is the breakdown percentage-wise in Ireland and though there is variation in other countries you're still looking at something fairly similar. O and A take up such a huge amount of the population that everyone else is pretty rare and O- has it worst because even the guy who has 1/100 rarity blood can also receive ours.

e: actually the IBTS has a pretty cool key that I didn't know about. Blood donation is more variable than I thought

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm ineligible to donate plasma because of my pathetic veins :saddowns:

content

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bit late but making pops nicely is the dream tbh.

e: I'm living the dream btw

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My phone has a button on the keyboard to switch to the emoji keyboard so it's effortless to spam them. People choose the most bizarrely mundane aspects of stdh to nitpick.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Not wanting children is very understandable as you say but as soon as people start grouping up and using special terms to refer to people outside that group then you know they've gone a bit off.

"I don't want kids" - tip top and okay

"ugh look at those breeders and their crotchspawn" - I laugh and subtly cover my throat with my hand in case you smell the baby talc I accidentally spilled earlier and attack me

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Some top quality STDH featuring what are imo EPIC OWNS

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Sistine Chapel is way too dark and kind of lame tbh, I didn't even realise our tour had arrived in it at first.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Drunk Tomato posted:

Van Gogh is really awesome, to be fair

Yeah I was going to call them basic but that is true.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It happens in pretty much everything though. People who want to seem smart and worldy will obsess over either the most famous or most difficult to understand thing. I always laugh when people say their favorite book is Ulysses (I heard this all the time in highschool at least). The stdh is probably 90% of them never read it and 95+% of those who did didn't really understand it. I got one chapter in and thought it was way too much work and gave up. I can understand appreciating it for what it is, but I am convinced that anyone who lists it as their "favorite/most enjoyable novel" is full of poo poo.

Finnegan's Wake is much more suspect, however I completely believe anyone who says their favourite Joyce writings are the farting letters he sent to his wife.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Does anyone have that text convo that could be STDH or AUG but it's basically some guy getting texts off another guy telling him to stay away from his girlfriend. As time goes by though it's very clear the texter isn't the girl's BF he's just a weird stalker.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

My money's on druid.

Also what kinda questions did you ask the turtles during your survey?

:3:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Trebek posted:

Warzone update.

My friend has been telling me to sort out a LinkedIn for years an I've never bothered, what a fool I was.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Samizdata posted:

Frankly, that was my take. But, trying to put a happy(ish) face on a lovely subject.

I kind of wish IF that story had happened, they would have run him in, so he could find a lover to teach him to swallow. And treat him with the dignity and respect he deserves...

please don't post like this

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think he means less basing it on rich, poor, or ethnicity but that you have a fair idea after a minute or so of chatter how likely you are to get a tip. You're right that it's still stereotyping to a degree but it's quite different.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ibntumart posted:

And yes, I know internal decapitation (or atlanto-occipital dislocation if you want to use high falutin' doctor talk) is a thing, but the whole point is that your head doesn't actually sever from your body, much less land on the seat next to you and get sewn back on.

Please don't shame a cockroach that has learned to use the WWW (Worldwide WEb aka internet) he is a very brave boy.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Because most likely they're not a parent and are actually a teenager. It's still loving weird but understandable in the context of "I wish my parents were like me and understood me better". Or maybe it is a loving mental adult.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Could do with a #lovetrumpshate imo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

SerialKilldeer posted:

I"m looking for a parody of those right-wing "student outwits atheist/liberal professor" e-mail forwards, and I think this thread is the right place to ask. The story goes something like this: the professor announces that students must swear a loyalty oath to Karl Marx, who is the most evolved being that ever lived. Our hero holds up a rock and asks, if evolution is real, why hasn't this rock turned into a monkey? The professor is so overwhelmed by this argument that he immediately keels over dead, the other students all convert to Christianity, and a bald eagle flies into the room and sheds a single tear.

yes! and It contains the phrase "he said quite jewishly" which is incredible and the eagels name is small governmentT

e: found it based on that eagles name lol

quote:

”Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship Marx and accept that he was the most highly-evolved being the world has ever known, even greater than Jesus Christ!”

At this moment, a brave, patriotic, pro-life Navy SEAL champion who had served 1500 tours of duty and understood the necessity of war and fully supported all military decision made by the United States stood up and held up a rock.

”How old is this rock, pinhead?”

The arrogant professor smirked quite Jewishly and smugly replied “4.6 billion years, you stupid Christian”

”Wrong. It’s been 5,000 years since God created it. If it was 4.6 billion years old and evolution, as you say, is real… then it should be an animal now”

The professor was visibly shaken, and dropped his chalk and copy of Origin of the Species. He stormed out of the room crying those liberal crocodile tears. The same tears liberals cry for the “poor” (who today live in such luxury that most own refrigerators) when they jealously try to claw justly earned wealth from the deserving job creators. There is no doubt that at this point our professor, DeShawn Washington, wished he had pulled himself up by his bootstraps and become more than a sophist liberal professor. He wished so much that he had a gun to shoot himself from embarrassment, but he himself had petitioned against them!

The students applauded and all registered Republican that day and accepted Jesus as their lord and savior. An eagle named “Small Government” flew into the room and perched atop the American Flag and shed a tear on the chalk. The pledge of allegiance was read several times, and God himself showed up and enacted a flat tax rate across the country.

The professor lost his tenure and was fired the next day. He died of the gay plague AIDS and was tossed into the lake of fire for all eternity.

Semper Fi. p.s. close the borders

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Applesnots posted:

I was playing a MGS game and I shot a dude and then this big rear end vulture showed up and started eating him, so I shot that vulture and ate that bastard bird raw. After that the dude I shot haunted me saying that I ate him?!
True story.

They do that if the guy is just sleeping and then if you eat the vulture then it cancels your no kill run, goddamnit kojima you piece of poo poo I had to replay the whole game. Also in the river where all the guys you killed appeared they get unique animations on how they died and that guy will even say "you ate me!"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

BobbyK posted:

So you're saying making someone wait an hour past the scheduled time of an interview reflects poorly on that company? Wow never thought of it like that before.

Look this story is obviously fake but if the same fairly common circumstance happened to me I would do the exact same thing, futhteromore

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Getting asked an unanswerable or weird question to see how you react isn't that strange, perhaps they wanted to see what someone would do when asked a silly question. Or maybe they thought a dumb question like that would be a nice opener to relax someone. I'm not arguing this happened because I hate that poo poo but it's within the realm of plausibility sans bon mot and mainly I just thought it was funny you called it out but then said you'd do the same thing

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Myers-Briggs is horoscopes for your more advanced moron

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Haifisch posted:

It'd save everyone time if they did those "on a scale of 1 to 10, how likely are you to murder your boss?" questionaires instead. At least those just filter out the people too stupid to lie.

I was applying to work in a banks tech division a while ago and I had to fill out a form of 100 questions with three options and you had to choose an answer you most agree with and least agree with and about half the questions were like

"which of these describes you?"

1) I love embezzling and doing crimes
2) I love breaking the rules if it means doing something easily
3) Punctual

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

"My son is called bort!"

"I have a bort, too!"

"I'm in the wrong facebook group sorry"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I tutored a mature student from Albania I think once and her name was Inelda because Imelda was a banned name for being too Western. On the day her mother went to get her name official registered it was a novice clerk and she managed to badger her into letting Inelda be registered as a name. It's pronounced Imelda though lol

e: I could be wrong on the country

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's not banned most people are just sensible enough not to call their child Adolf. They do have rules about no "degrading or embarrassing names" so you can't call your kid Uglyface Poopsnout or whatever. However it's extremely dumb to compare Hitler to a serial killer lol

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 12:27 on Aug 29, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My most recalled memories are the incredibly embarrassing things I did in my teens that haunt me every moment awake or not so I'm glad they're mainly false. Can't believe mam made me wear those shoes to that disco...

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I put on my wizard robes and down to busy face

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think I dated the weirdest dude on Earth

We met at a tech event, but this was really weird.

Oooookay, so he is not single. Good, time to move on.

So, now I marked this date in the calendar, waiting to hear WTF is going on. At this point, I am more curious than pissed off.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm pretty sure you're the person who posted this like the last two times someone asked for it. I like that you're the bioshock story guy now

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ibntumart posted:

I have posted it in the last several STDH threads and by gum I will post it till I no longer draw breath or the Saudi-funded Rapture Underwater Superproducer Conclave is finally built.

:hai:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I'm a writer. A dreamweaver. A visionary. And you are now entering.... my post place

Some people are plumbers, that's their gift.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

TheMostFrench posted:

Bye kids! Have a nice day at school!

These always killed me in Dark Souls :saddowns:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Volcott posted:

I remember why. It's the popegators.

I do hate the Italians, though.

I just killed these in Bloodborne

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'd actually believe something like that happened, mostly since I had a similar experience when we started studying exponents, and me having learned about it a bit from my brother (and being a proto-goon) was real eager to show that I know that any number to the power of 0 is actually 1 and oh I'm so smart, but the teacher said things to the power of 0 are actually equal to 0. I was confused, especially when I asked her after the class ended and she said 'oh, it's just easier to teach it like that at first'. I suppose maybe it is? I dunno.

Oh also the whole class clapped or something

This is just bizarre. Children are definitely told things in class that aren't exactly true to help teach them but it's usually by giving them a simpler version of a complex concept or by leaving certain things out. For example when you teach them square roots first you don't need to go into imaginary numbers. Or if you're explaining the cell you might just go thorough some of the simpler processes and leave out the less important structures. Telling them something specifically wrong like the power of 0 is 0 is weird to me because i don't think it's any simpler than telling them it's actually 1.

Anyway my favourite fake stories are from Gecko45. The guy appears on a gun forum asking for advice about body armour and it raises flags with people and he reveals he's a mall cop. He starts spinning the most extravagant bullshit about his mastery of ninjitsu(sic) as well as saving the mayor's nephew's anal virginity which allowed them a bazooka license in the mall. Later on another poster shows up and starts fervently agreeing with Gecko and his status as an "operator". I think first read through this when I was 15 and by the end it was clear that the second guy was trolling and later I just kind of assumed they both were trolling from the start. I haven't read it in a long while but I think regardless of it was a troll or not it's a really fun read. This link has all the posts archived as well as a few of the reactions and occasional explanations e.g. "new thread about X from here".

The Legend of Gecko45

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

JK! posted:

Does anybody have the story where some dude was donating a ton of money to a camgirl but he was being a creeper and planning their wedding and all that? Then he got pissed at her and donated a money to another girl? It was the craziest bullshit.

I vaguely remember this also and hope a kind goon has a link