Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

quote:

This troper's college had an 'Alcohol Awareness Week', and in the cafeteria they were serving free "Mocktails", mixed drinks that were basically orange soda and Sprite with splashes of fruity syrup and a lime wedge. This troper got into a debate with the people serving them over the logic of demoting one drug (alcohol) while promoting another, more addictive drug (caffeine). The argument ended like this:
Teacher: Well, you don't endanger the lives of others every time you drink a Mountain Dew.
This Troper: Maybe YOU don't.
Wait, which one of thosse items has caffiene?
The Mountain Dew, of course.

Neither Orange soda nor Sprite has caffeine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

WrenP-Complete posted:

Is that maybe what the last few lines were trying to express? Not that any of this happened.

Yeah the last couple lines were confusing. He just started talking about Mountain Dew even though it wasn't being served.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

quote:

The in-flight encounter, according to Cross, began when the sick man, after some initial yells for help, became unresponsive, prompting a flight attendant to shout, "Call overhead for a physician onboard." As Dr. Cross recounts on her Facebook posting:

"I raised my hand to grab her attention. She said to me, 'Oh no, sweetie. Put your hand down. We are looking for actual physicians or nurses or some type of medical personnel. We don't have time to talk to you.'

"I tried to inform her that I was a physician but I was continually cut off by condescending remarks. Then, overhead they paged 'any physician onboard, please press your button.' I stare at her as I go to press my button. She said, "Oh, wow, you're an actual physician?' I reply yes. She said, 'Let me see your credentials. What type of doctor are you? Where do you work? Why were you in Detroit?'

"I respond, ob-gyn, work in Houston, in Detroit for a wedding, but believe it or not, they DO HAVE doctors in Detroit. Now excuse me so I can help the man in need."

And then everyone on the flight applauded.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/wayne/2016/10/13/black-doctor-charges-bias-delta-flight-dtw/92026976/

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

What is Common Core and why will Americans on social media not shut up about it

American parents are threatened by their children's better understanding of math.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Do they have to learn BOMDAS so they can work out those Facebook """"riddles""" like "what is the answer to 3+3x3-3÷3 (90% of people get it wrong!)"

PEMDAS?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
You made me google the history of PEMDAS on a Friday night...

quote:

Mnemonics are often used to help students remember the rules, but the rules taught by the use of acronyms can be misleading. In the United States the acronym PEMDAS is common. It stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction. PEMDAS is often expanded to "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally", with the first letter of each word creating the acronym PEMDAS.[7] Canada and New Zealand use BEDMAS, standing for Brackets, Exponents, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction. Most common in the UK and Australia[11] are BODMAS meaning "B"rackets, "O"f or "O"rder, "D"ivision, "M"ultiplication, "A"ddition and "S"ubtraction in Nigeria and some other West African countries and BIDMAS. In some English speaking countries, Parentheses may be called Brackets, or symbols of inclusion and Exponents may be called either Indices, Powers or Orders, which have the same precedence as Roots or Radicals. Since multiplication and division are of equal precedence, M and D are often interchanged, leading to such acronyms as BOMDAS. The original order of operations in some countries was BODMAS, which stands for Brackets, Orders or pOwers, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction. The O is sometimes associated with Of. This mnemonic was common until exponentials were added into the mnemonic.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
A minor one but I have gone to that Detroit Coney Island. It's real and they did the same on Christmas.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The Dr. likes them unvaccinated because it means more billings.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
STDidH:

Universal built a new waterpark with some waterslides that have a 200lb limit. Not kid slides. Adult slides. And they have a scale at the top to make sure.

This is a brand new park built in America.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Steve Harrington would never bully Will <:mad:>

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Here is some stdh: I recently had to buy a book at the bookstore.

Amazon didn't have it and I needed it before Christmas. B&N's website said there was stock at the location closest to me so I went. I asked an employee to help me find it. He looked it up in the system and says "Well it says we have 3 but there are also 8 back orders for it which might mean the inventory is wrong and we don't have any." I was all set to be pissed about driving out to them based on their crappy inventory system but we went to the shelf and there were 3 sitting there.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Starbucks just has Spotify playlists now. You can see a store's music on their app now too.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/orinanne/status/1310602123571331072?s=21

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

I know these didn't happen but thank God my extended family spent our Easter zoom sharing updates on who got vaccinated and if not when they were going to do it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The longest way possible to say bad service is bad.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
This came up in the OSHA thread recently but basically if gas stations were invented today they would never pass health and safety regulations. If you had one it would be full service with guys in hazmat suits filling your car while you were in a bunker 100 feet away.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Disney World isn't even allowed to have marvel stuff :colbert:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardians_of_the_Galaxy:_Cosmic_Rewind

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Blue Moonlight posted:

Did Disney claw back the “east of the Mississippi rights” to Marvel theme park ventures, or did Universal only buy rights for Marvel characters people actually cared about at the time?

The second one. The current understanding is that Universal has rights to any characters or character families already included in the parks. Hulk, Spider-Man, X-men, Avengers,etc. Besides rides "use" also includes art and there is a giant art thing in the middle of the land with tons of characters drawn on it. Those are all Universal.

But there is nothing with Guardians so Disney can use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Skwirl posted:

Is there literally a Joe Disney? I know Walt's nephew or whatever who was running the cartoons in the 80s was named Roy, so I wouldn't put it past them to name a kid Joe, but still.

There is not.