Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1000 Sweaty Rikers

this is a good doco about boks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c06xOF4uQ8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afro Doug

sentimentality aside - a chicken is basically a bug to me.

1000 Sweaty Rikers

a "bokumentary" if you will

DeepQantas

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Chick your facts

alnilam

:ducksiren:bok update:ducksiren:
i got a coop :peanut:

next steps: build a run, get feed, straw, and water
next next step: get some teenage hens (i.e. sexed and past incubation but maybe just pre-laying age or just entering laying age)

what kinda hens should I get?! so many choices!
I want ones who are chill and not mean, to humans, because I intend to hang out with them
good eggs are a plus
i live in PA so hot summers and cold winters
umm
and I'm planning on getting 3 and maybe 1 of them can be a silky cause they real cool but I'd prefer mostly good layers (silkies are just okay layers I think)

any tipps?

ty manifisto

Piso Mojado

alnilam posted:

any tipps?

if your boks start to gobble, then you accidently bought turkeys. don't buy turkeys.

Piso Mojado

try not to get too attached to the boks. the more you bond with them the harder it will be when you inevitably sacrifice them to reanimate your wife after the accident.

Afro Doug

alnilam posted:

silkies. i'm afraid there is'nt any other options.

Piso Mojado

it's common practice and considerred good luck to name your boks after famous third reich politicians and/or Squaresoft characters.

Afro Doug

seriously its basically if you crossed a cat and a chicken.

alnilam

Piso Mojado posted:

it's common practice and considerred good luck to name your boks after famous third reich politicians and/or Squaresoft characters.

göbbels is more of a turkey name than a bok name

cloud, however, is a primo silky name

ty manifisto

treasure bear

Piso Mojado posted:

try not to get too attached to the boks. the more you bond with them the harder it will be when you inevitably sacrifice them to reanimate your wife after the accident.

Harder, but much more powerful for the dark ritual.

City of Glompton

alnilam posted:

:ducksiren:bok update:ducksiren:
i got a coop :peanut:

next steps: build a run, get feed, straw, and water
next next step: get some teenage hens (i.e. sexed and past incubation but maybe just pre-laying age or just entering laying age)

I want ones who are chill and not mean, to humans, because I intend to hang out with them
good eggs are a plus
i live in PA so hot summers and cold winters
umm
and I'm planning on getting 3 and maybe 1 of them can be a silky cause they real cool but I'd prefer mostly good layers (silkies are just okay layers I think)

any tipps?

have fun picking bocks! I love banties and cochins and amerucanas. for egg production, sexlinks are great.

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Macnult

my friend's next door neighbor owns a few boks. here's one of them:

Robot Made of Meat

City of Glompton posted:

have fun picking bocks! I love banties and cochins and amerucanas. for egg production, sexlinks are great.

When my mom was a little girl, she was chased by a bantie, so I always think of them as being attack boks.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

City of Glompton

some of them are! I had a tiny banty rooster who loved to chase and attack, but he was also a cochin so he'd trip on his feet feathers when he ran after people, haha. they are not the most effective attack boks

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
these are some of my friends chickens:

my dog is very fond of chickens and likes hanging out with them:

i sat down and chilled with the chickens and the hound and then when i left i realized my pants were wet because i had been sitting in chicken poo poo

City of Glompton

ugh, that is the worst part of chickens I think. yucko. cute chickens, though.

bean mom

BOK

BOK

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

MrWillsauce

that's nothin to bawk at

alnilam

it's a good saturday, think i'll build a bok run

ty manifisto

Adiabatic

What have you assholes done now?

i thought this would be dumb but im 13m in and its fascinating

Robot Made of Meat

Adiabatic posted:

i thought this would be dumb but im 13m in and its fascinating

Adiabatic! I was wondering where you got to. WB!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

MrWillsauce

I eat chickens :unsmigghh:

joke_explainer

love them boks

Thunder Moose

S.J.C.
What's in a bok? What we call an egg would by any other ba CAWWWW be just as delicious.

hexenmexen

by exmarx
Nice thread, them boks look like they a nice home, have you ever poked a hole in an egg and tried to suck the yoke and stuff out?

----------------

joke_explainer

hexenmexen posted:

Nice thread, them boks look like they a nice home, have you ever poked a hole in an egg and tried to suck the yoke and stuff out?

drat. That sounds like some next level egg strat.

Bargearse

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
is it ok to keep chickens in a studio apartment

MrWillsauce

ask the chickens

1000 Sweaty Rikers

Bargearse posted:

is it ok to keep chickens in a studio apartment

I've read that you can house train them

1000 Sweaty Rikers

crossposting from GBS Isaac's "Sylvia's Mother" duet with Pecky Becky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmxzkGMS2tc

hexenmexen

by exmarx

joke_explainer posted:

drat. That sounds like some next level egg strat.

It's basically the best way to get all the nutrients

----------------

hexenmexen

by exmarx
But on a real note my fam (my fam fam, not like fam, fam) used to own some chickens. Every time I walked past the coop I would think that they run around after their heads were cut off, and that there were predators that tried to dig under the chicken wire and eat them. They were kind of intimidating with their bok-beaks.

----------------

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom
I found some very interesting boks :

Do boks usually hiss?

alnilam

I did it, I got boks

2 for now, rhode island reds about 4 months old - they're living outside and taking care of themselves but they still make cheep cheep noises :3:
they should start laying in about 2 months

they're very social they walk around the yard together as a bok squad and when one of them gets distracted by something and then notices she's gotten far away from the other she runs over really fast to rejoin her sis again :kimchi:

no name yet but one is sweet and docile and the other is feisty in a fun way, any name thoughts?

also we're going to get a therd berd as soon as we can find a silkie

ty manifisto

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

alnilam posted:

I did it, I got boks

2 for now, rhode island reds about 4 months old - they're living outside and taking care of themselves but they still make cheep cheep noises :3:
they should start laying in about 2 months

they're very social they walk around the yard together as a bok squad and when one of them gets distracted by something and then notices she's gotten far away from the other she runs over really fast to rejoin her sis again :kimchi:

no name yet but one is sweet and docile and the other is feisty in a fun way, any name thoughts?

also we're going to get a therd berd as soon as we can find a silkie

yessss :)

good luck

City of Glompton

excellent boks :3:

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
my name suggestions would be Artemis and Minerva

and good luck with your pecking order once your flock grows larger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom

name one zyla and one luvcow also i love your boks

----------------

• Locked thread