Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam

poverty goat posted:

I'd love to get some boks but i've been told that a dog is guaranteed to eat them sooner or later and I have one of those already

not necessarily! Depebds on the dog, with many dogs you can get them used to each other under supervision, and keep them separate when not under supervision if necessary

I know a few chickens in my neighborhood who share a backyard with a friendly yet watchful german shepherd :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton

:agreed:

as a kid, we had a german shorthair pointer and a brittany spaniel, and they were both great with chickens.

as an adult, my mom's fox terrier was visiting, and killed a chicken in less than 5 minutes.

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
My dog loves chickens. Even the local turkeys don't mind him when he's out in the yard and they are grazing in the fresh grasses.

poverty goat

I have a beagle from proper local redneck hunting stock and his chase small animals until they are dead genes are extremely strong

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Deborah Vivien Cavendish, Duchess of Devonshire

alnilam

Something magical happened this week 🐔🥚🍳

City of Glompton

awesome! was it a cute itty bitty sized egg?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

your chickens emerged from their cocoons a beautiful bunch of peahens! congratulations, al!

alnilam

City of Glompton posted:

awesome! was it a cute itty bitty sized egg?

No it's quite remarkable, i was expecting a few crap eggs and a slow pace at first but they've gone from zero to hero, since the first egg 5 days ago I'm finding 1-2 good eggs / day

bean mom

alnilam posted:

No it's quite remarkable, i was expecting a few crap eggs and a slow pace at first but they've gone from zero to hero, since the first egg 5 days ago I'm finding 1-2 good eggs / day

i feel silly asking this but do the hens just lay eggs no matter what or only after a visit from mr rooster

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

alnilam

Zyla posted:

i feel silly asking this but do the hens just lay eggs no matter what or only after a visit from mr rooster

No matter what. You can think of it kinda like menstruation but not as regular like they can slow down or even stop when conditions aren't good (winter, molting, stress)

if a rooster has, um, visited recently then the egg comes out fertile, if not the egg is infertile, that's the only difference

alnilam

Extremely common question btw you're not dumb

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

hey al, when you get a chance, will you post your boks? no rush, i just love your chickens. and every chicken.

every chook is sacred.

bean mom

alnilam posted:

Extremely common question btw you're not dumb

so i can just get some lady boks and harvest eggies? thats fantastic, the worst part sounds like keeping a rooster

----------------

Robot Made of Meat

Fresh egges from actual boks are beyond amazing.

I mean, the ones you buy in stores are good and all, but real ones . . Mmmmm!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

bean mom

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Fresh egges from actual boks are beyond amazing.

I mean, the ones you buy in stores are good and all, but real ones . . Mmmmm!

i dont really like eggs much but maybe if they're from fresh boks???

----------------

Robot Made of Meat

Zyla posted:

i dont really like eggs much but maybe if they're from fresh boks???

You're clearly deranged, but we love you anyway, Zyla.

:glomp:

alnilam

hamjobs posted:

hey al, when you get a chance, will you post your boks? no rush, i just love your chickens. and every chicken.

every chook is sacred.

Will do! There is a pic or two of them if you look through my posts earlier itt but they're much bigger now so I'll post one soon

Fresh eggs from well kept hens (who eat lots of good garden food) are sooo much better than even fancy store bought ones omg, they were more filling too i think

Robot Made of Meat

alnilam posted:

Will do! There is a pic or two of them if you look through my posts earlier itt but they're much bigger now so I'll post one soon

Fresh eggs from well kept hens (who eat lots of good garden food) are sooo much better than even fancy store bought ones omg, they were more filling too i think

Their yellow-osity is amazing!

StandardVC10

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
This is a good thread.

bean mom

Robot Made of Meat posted:

You're clearly deranged, but we love you anyway, Zyla.

:glomp:

im sorry i have this throat goalie that doesn't let it pass if it sees the shot :(

----------------

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

my sister has that bad throat goalie too, zyla, you are not alone. it's okay. :glomp:

i'll eat all the eggs that you don't eat that way we don't waste them. and i get a lot more eggs and greens, nom.

bean mom

hamjobs posted:

my sister has that bad throat goalie too, zyla, you are not alone. it's okay. :glomp:

i'll eat all the eggs that you don't eat that way we don't waste them. and i get a lot more eggs and greens, nom.

its a bummer, he's really stingy. Theres so much good food im sure that's out there but its ever vigilant

----------------

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
EVERYTHING YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW ABOUT CHICKENS AND KITTENS IS WRONG

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

City of Glompton

:kimchi:

alnilam

Splatmaster posted:

EVERYTHING YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW ABOUT CHICKENS AND KITTENS IS WRONG

one of my fav weird al songs

alnilam

they grow up so fast :')

ty manifisto

alnilam

penny has the bigger comb now but pepper is still the alpha bok

ty manifisto

bean mom

:stwoon:

----------------

Piso Mojado

they look.. .delicious :twisted:

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

alnilam posted:

they grow up so fast :')

hello ladies :kimchi: they're beautiful. got any recs on laying crumbles?

alnilam

I just buy the bulk stuff from my local feed store, idk the brand but the ingredient list is good

I do highly recommend "Crazy 8" scratch which might be a mixture invented by the feed store. It's got all the good stuff in it - cracked corn, barley, sunflower seeds - and they really do go Crazy for it (tm)

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

i'll look for it! i'm in the research stages of chicken-momming, because we're still house hunting for a place that will let me have chooks in the yard with a hen house and things; not just "you got yerself a garage full o' chickens there, seems legit."

FluffieDuckie

Piso Mojado posted:

they look.. .delicious :twisted:

:redass:

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

bean mom

my landlord told me if i built the bok box i could have boks of my own

and maybe a duckie or two!

----------------

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Zyla posted:

my landlord told me if i built the bok box i could have boks of my own

and maybe a duckie or two!

please build the bok box! also do you know what kind of chooks you're getting yet?

alnilam

so my water strategy as it gets cold has been to bring their auto dispensing water thingy inside at night and back out in the morning bc room temp water takes a long time to freeze even when the air is below freeze

wed night i didn't because it looked like it was going to stay above freezing all the next day

but then it actually went down all night and reached freezing an hour before sunrise and i didn't have time to check it on my way out in the morning so i didn't realize any of this until i was on the train to work :ohdear:

and what's worse is they went to bed before my wife or i could get home, so i don't know if they had water all day, though i do think from the temperature logs that it was maybe not frozen yet for an hour or two after they woke up. but it was definitely frozen solid when i got home! :(

and last night it was in the 20s and and a body doesn't handle cold as well when it's under-hydrated :ohdear: :ohdear:

so last night i was worried so i boiled a pot of water and wrapped it with the lid on in a crappy old airplane blanket and placed it in their coop
one of them shuffled to make a 180 without leaving the roost so she could take a look at the weird new object, i closed the hatch and listened a little longer and after some confused noises they quieted down :3:

I thought the pot might give them extra heat for maybe a few hours tops but this morning it was not only still liquid, it was still lukewarm! Combined with their body heat and the decomposition of their litter it probably kept their coop a balmy 35 degrees all night

This morning before sunrise when their night light was on (more on this later) i heard them in their coop making lots of confused noises probably at the weird alien spacecraft that had appeared in their house :3: and when i let them out they seemed right as rain, though they did go for the water soon after eating some scratch

sorry for the water fuckup chickens :(

alnilam

oh i also added some boiled water to the cold water in their water thing so the water would start off being maybe 65 instead of 50 and last a little longer on this 20 degree day

alnilam

the night light thing is this:
when winter comes they lay less, and it's apparently more of a light thing than a temperature thing

So i kinda sorta extended the day a few hours by installing a lil night light in their coop and it's on a timer to go on about 2 hours before sunrise

and when it goes on the door from their coop to their run is still closed and their nesting box is in there so they're kind of a captive audience :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Management

you could look into heated watermajigs for your boks. I have used them for outdoor pets for many a years armed only with an extension cord and an outdoor outlet.

:jerry:

• Locked thread