Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

my mom bought electric heated dog bowls for her flock. they're $20 and totally worth it, plus there's a low chance of them falling into it/stepping in it and causing frostbite.

you're a real good chookdad, al.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piso Mojado

al if you still need a last min gift for your wife:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYADQ8W/ref=?tag=natdee-20&th=1

Piso Mojado

BUT HERE I'M, KILLING IT

alnilam

it's perfect....

Piso Mojado posted:

BUT HERE I'M, KILLING IT

ty manifisto

alnilam

ty manifisto

bean mom

ladybeard mcflurry posted:

please build the bok box! also do you know what kind of chooks you're getting yet?

i was told "not to worry, landlord has a friend with a menagerie and the chooks would be provided, even"

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Zyla posted:

i was told "not to worry, landlord has a friend with a menagerie and the chooks would be provided, even"

free chickens are the best breed of chickens imo

bean mom

freeckens

----------------

alnilam

freehens on the land

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

appropriate but also terrible and possibly :nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxIWDmmqZzY :nws:

City of Glompton

most freehens turn out to be roosters in my experience but ycmv (your chooks may vary)

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

City of Glompton posted:

most freehens turn out to be roosters in my experience but ycmv (your chooks may vary)

i got ridiculously lucky on a straight run of chicks and got 0% roosters out of one run, so did it again the next spring and got 100% roosters. i'm pretty sure the universe was loving with me re: chooks. my mom has been pretty lucky so far, but she specifically only gets laying breeds which are almost always hens anyway due to egg selection. i was young and dumb and needed the chickens last time i had them (ten years ago).

i am ridiculously excited about house hunting now because the first thing i said to the buyer's agent is that if i can't have chickens and sheep, i am gonna need an underground missile silo with access to iguana's for burritos and TSC for chicken crumbles, and i'll be fine. and there won't be chickens in that bunker, promise.

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
r u callin me chikkin op :colbert:

alnilam

Chickens first snow today
They were confused and scared to walk in it, then they spent a while eating it :3:, then they went to just ignoring it

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

alnilam posted:

They were confused and scared to walk in it, then they spent a while eating it :3:, then they went to just ignoring it

al's little boks are all grown up :kimchi:

mom said her chooks just stood there and screamed until she PICKED THEM UP INDIVIDUALLY and took them in the barn. they know where their crumbles are buttered.

City of Glompton

alnilam posted:

reminds me of this thing I made to explain chickens to my non chicken having friends

alnilam

lol that's great

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

City of Glompton posted:

reminds me of this thing I made to explain chickens to my non chicken having friends

can i print this and send it to my mom as the christmas card so she can post it up in the barn for the farmhands?

City of Glompton

yes, that would be great :)

1000 Sweaty Rikers

all the boks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Oaa-5CbWLY

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

when they were coming down the hill I was like Jeezy Pete, it's the abokalypse

alnilam

FluffieDuckie

this made me very happy. i only buy free range chicken eggs and i'm going to pretend they all have huge pastures of rolling hills and shade trees to hang out in

(do not shatter that illusion)

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

FluffieDuckie posted:

this made me very happy. i only buy free range chicken eggs and i'm going to pretend they all have huge pastures of rolling hills and shade trees to hang out in

(do not shatter that illusion)

they do. i saw some when i was driving in gilroy a while back and omfg.

did you know someone has A WHOLE BUNCH OF BOKS in gilroy btw? and you can stop and pet them?!

City of Glompton

that video is amazing. that is my dream job--chicken rancher :3:

alnilam

The background bokophony sounds like the weird swell noises at the end of Echos

GORDON

by Fluffdaddy
Going to get down to -1 tonight, here, the coldest my chickens (that's an old-school name for a 'bok') have seen. I hope they do ok in the hen house.

----------------

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

GORDON posted:

Going to get down to -1 tonight, here, the coldest my chickens (that's an old-school name for a 'bok') have seen. I hope they do ok in the hen house.

they will be okay as long as you have their house all draft-proofed as possible, some good nesting stuff and a heat lamp maybe if you think they need it. my mom's chickens (and mine, hail beyonce and penny and tina) all snuggle for warmth and it gets -30F there on the reg at night.

mom did move their hen house into the garage last night though and i have a feeling my mom's going to call me and i'll hear chickens in the distance echoing in the bathroom at any given time.

GORDON

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I "deep littered" the last cleaning last week, so they'd have a few inches of floor insulation. And I put a heat lamp in there on bricks so it wouldn't directly touch any bedding.

This is my first year/winter with chickens so I sweat every little detail.

----------------

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

it's normal to sweat the details, tiny dinosaurs are our friends and would probably eat us if given the chance but we should still take care of them. you're doing the right things and taking care of your frens!

GORDON

by Fluffdaddy
It amazes me that those little puffy featherballs can tolerate these temps 24 hours a day for months.

Of my 3 layers, I am only getting about 1 egg a day, now. I didn't have time to install a light in the henhouse. I've got 6 more that would be ready to start laying any time now, but there just isn't enough daylight right now (northern Ohio).

I'm going to be egg rich by march, i think.

----------------

alnilam

Hi Gordon, it's my first winter with boks too! On really cold ~0F nights I've been putting boiled water into old fashioned hot water bottle wrapped in a crappy old airline blanket and put that in their coop, bc i was worried about a fire from a heat lamp. Sounds like your brick setup will be safe though! I've read you should only use extra heat on the very coldest nights bc otherwise they won't get as used to the cold

Also i put in a nightlight on a timer and I've been getting surprisingly many winter eggs! I've read it's more about light than temp. If you do the night light thing, set it to come on a few hours before sunrise, rather than in the evening - otherwise they'll get real confused at bedtime and cluck confusedly at the door to their coop unsure if it's day or night.

Plus if you have it come on in the morning, their coop door will still be closed and they'll kind of be a captive audience with their nesting box :evilbuddy:

bean mom

such boks

----------------

FluffieDuckie

i'd be an awful bok mom because if it got down to like 40 degrees they'd be hanging out in the house with me by the fire

then they'd forget they were boks and i'd just have a bunch of messy loud dogs running around and no one would be laying any eggs

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

alnilam

FluffieDuckie posted:

i'd be an awful bok mom because if it got down to like 40 degrees they'd be hanging out in the house with me by the fire

then they'd forget they were boks and i'd just have a bunch of messy loud dogs running around and no one would be laying any eggs

California boks am i rite :rolleye:

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
I got this on a random picture feed on facebook:

Apparently an ostritch feather duster will give the baby boks a thing to snuggle under and feel safe. This seemed like a good place to share!

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

i need a pack and play and some feather dusters and i can be Best Bok Mom.

bean mom

alnilam posted:

California boks am i rite :rolleye:

~i wish they all could be california boksss~

----------------

GORDON

by Fluffdaddy
My Ohio chickens came out of the hen house this morning like WHATS UP after an overnight low of -1.

All appears to be well.

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

yay, best boks!!!

my chicken (at mom's house) beyonce came out like HOLD ME YOU FUCKS IT'S COLD HERE HOLD MY GIANT DINOSAUR FEET so mom said she would take pictures of her for me. i love her the most. they like their heat lamps a lot a lot but my mom's bok cavern is definitely rural middle america chicken mcmansion so it can handle and needs a lot more ambient heat for them.

my dad called me to ask if i'd ever constructed a sheep "sauna" though and i know my mom's gone soft because they're literally wearing WOOL MOM OMFG. i think she just wanted some more high-powered heaters in the birthing barn tbh, because it's so deep-cold and there's bred ewes.

• Locked thread