Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

The background bokophony sounds like the weird swell noises at the end of Echos

alnilam

Hi Gordon, it's my first winter with boks too! On really cold ~0F nights I've been putting boiled water into old fashioned hot water bottle wrapped in a crappy old airline blanket and put that in their coop, bc i was worried about a fire from a heat lamp. Sounds like your brick setup will be safe though! I've read you should only use extra heat on the very coldest nights bc otherwise they won't get as used to the cold

Also i put in a nightlight on a timer and I've been getting surprisingly many winter eggs! I've read it's more about light than temp. If you do the night light thing, set it to come on a few hours before sunrise, rather than in the evening - otherwise they'll get real confused at bedtime and cluck confusedly at the door to their coop unsure if it's day or night.

Plus if you have it come on in the morning, their coop door will still be closed and they'll kind of be a captive audience with their nesting box :evilbuddy:

alnilam

FluffieDuckie posted:

i'd be an awful bok mom because if it got down to like 40 degrees they'd be hanging out in the house with me by the fire

then they'd forget they were boks and i'd just have a bunch of messy loud dogs running around and no one would be laying any eggs

California boks am i rite :rolleye:

alnilam

Today Penny was acting listless and had watery poops and i was so worried she had coccidiosis, but now hours later she's very energetic and normal again so i think she just ate something weird and got the ol' temporary indigestion. I know i feel listless when i have bad indigestion!

Major phew moment when I came outside and she ran over instead of huddling in place

• Locked thread