Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
City of Glompton

nice boks! I don't have any now, but I hope to again someday. I like banty boks best.

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton

is it a tiny pullet egg? I love when they lay little tiny eggs.

City of Glompton

Noctiluca posted:

this is their home where they live

love it :)

City of Glompton

just remember chickens irl can't swim, unlike minecrsft chickens. rip hosanna and mr. roo :(

City of Glompton

alnilam posted:

:ducksiren:bok update:ducksiren:
i got a coop :peanut:

next steps: build a run, get feed, straw, and water
next next step: get some teenage hens (i.e. sexed and past incubation but maybe just pre-laying age or just entering laying age)

what kinda hens should I get?! so many choices!
I want ones who are chill and not mean, to humans, because I intend to hang out with them
good eggs are a plus
i live in PA so hot summers and cold winters
umm
and I'm planning on getting 3 and maybe 1 of them can be a silky cause they real cool but I'd prefer mostly good layers (silkies are just okay layers I think)

any tipps?

have fun picking bocks! I love banties and cochins and amerucanas. for egg production, sexlinks are great.

City of Glompton

some of them are! I had a tiny banty rooster who loved to chase and attack, but he was also a cochin so he'd trip on his feet feathers when he ran after people, haha. they are not the most effective attack boks

City of Glompton

ugh, that is the worst part of chickens I think. yucko. cute chickens, though.

City of Glompton

excellent boks :3:

City of Glompton

alnilam I have name suggestions for chill bok if she still needs one

Persephone (Persi for short) or maybe Penelope (Penny)

City of Glompton

alnilam posted:

Day 22: The boks appear to have accepted me as their leader. When I let them out of their run in the evening while i'm home, any time I walk to a place in the garden to gather veggies or something, they rush after me and then hang out hunting bugs/weeds in my vicinity. If I walk to another part of the garden, they follow again. If I go inside, they go back to doing their own thing. Pepper, who is the leader while I am away, appears to be as loyal as Penelope. But I must keep a careful eye on her - a bok as clever as she is never content being second-leader for long...

:love:

when I was a kid I could lead a whole flock of chickens as long as I was carrying the kitchen scrap bucket

City of Glompton

I had chickens in the country and we had a couple hawk attacks, but no fatalities. the hens would dive for cover in bushes, and at least one rooster defended himself from an attack. I had much worse luck in the city due to raccoons :(

City of Glompton

I like that, and I also like when they are complaining and it sounds like "bitchbitchbitchbiiiitch" but most of all I like when they are happy and sleepy and they trill :3:

City of Glompton

:agreed:

as a kid, we had a german shorthair pointer and a brittany spaniel, and they were both great with chickens.

as an adult, my mom's fox terrier was visiting, and killed a chicken in less than 5 minutes.

City of Glompton

awesome! was it a cute itty bitty sized egg?

City of Glompton

:kimchi:

City of Glompton

most freehens turn out to be roosters in my experience but ycmv (your chooks may vary)

City of Glompton

alnilam posted:

Chickens first snow today
They were confused and scared to walk in it, then they spent a while eating it :3:, then they went to just ignoring it

reminds me of this thing I made to explain chickens to my non chicken having friends

City of Glompton

yes, that would be great :)

City of Glompton

that video is amazing. that is my dream job--chicken rancher :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton

:swoon: