Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
penis to vagina connection op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Shaggar posted:

Microsoft Windows on the desktop and server

even shaggar recognises windows is out of date and needs to die

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Syncopated posted:

penis to vagina connection op

nice cishet privilege

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

vodkat posted:

even shaggar recognises windows is out of date and needs to die

just because its a standard doesn't mean its out of date

burning swine
May 26, 2004

schrader valve is actually the oldest & best connection standard OP

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
anything about command line unix ever

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
example: Makefiles with a capital M will be around forever. particularly that thing where you type a hard tab in the file when specifying how to compile your target (balls.o) from your dependencies (balls.c)

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
MIDI, 35 years old and still on version 1.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

FopeDush posted:

schrader valve is actually the oldest & best connection standard OP

presta?

SMTP is a garbage fire and needs to be replaced but it isn't happening. the idea that you just send a message out into the ether and then the recipient will store it instead of the sender having to keep a copy creates an imbalance that will always be taken advantage of by spammers. just keep dumping more trash into the fire forever

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
presta will never replace schrader. it's much more fiddly and the only advantages are that it's narrower and you can get it to higher pressure with a lovely hand-pump, both of which are basically only relevant for bikes

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Model M just because it lasts couple of (nerd) lifetimes.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

lampey posted:

presta?

SMTP is a garbage fire and needs to be replaced but it isn't happening. the idea that you just send a message out into the ether and then the recipient will store it instead of the sender having to keep a copy creates an imbalance that will always be taken advantage of by spammers. just keep dumping more trash into the fire forever

nah its fine

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Stereo. Two ears, two channels

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

the 3.5mm aka 1/8" headphone jack, op
1/4" jacks are 138 years old (1878), checkmate

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Plorkyeran posted:

presta will never replace schrader. it's much more fiddly and the only advantages are that it's narrower and you can get it to higher pressure with a lovely hand-pump, both of which are basically only relevant for bikes

I tired googling this and found people testing schrader valves up to several thousand PSI successfully. I think its really just for rim width of road bikes.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
"lovely hand pump" is an important part of that sentence

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a lot of fuel systems in cars have Schrader valves up top so that you can hook up a pressure gauge when troubleshooting.

if they can keep 90psi of hot gasoline contained to a level that the NTSB is happy, they're fine for your bike tire.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

what is unclear about "lovely hand pump". the spring mechanism for schrader valves increases the amount of force required to get the tire up to a certain air pressure. this is entirely irrelevant for a pressure gauge or any mechanism for forcing air into the tire less lovely than a $10 piece of plastic that is optimized for being cheap and light over actually working. even a good frame-length pump is enough to make the difference irrelevant, but that adds precious grams to the bike

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
theyre valves marie

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Jonny 290 posted:

a lot of fuel systems in cars have Schrader valves up top so that you can hook up a pressure gauge when troubleshooting.

if they can keep 90psi of hot gasoline contained to a level that the NTSB is happy, they're fine for your bike tire.

the presta valve is thinner which is better for thin bike tires i think?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i guess if you wanted to be super autistic about it, you could argue that the mass of a schrader stem is larger and so theres more wheel unbalancing effect. But no, 70% of presta usage is to be able to sniff and say, oh, no, I need to get my adapter out to refill with this proletariat air station at the shell

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Jonny 290 posted:

i guess if you wanted to be super autistic about it, you could argue that the mass of a schrader stem is larger and so theres more wheel unbalancing effect. But no, 70% of presta usage is to be able to sniff and say, oh, no, I need to get my adapter out to refill with this proletariat air station at the shell

i was more going by

quote:

The outer valve stem is manufactured in various lengths for different applications, and has a narrower diameter (6 mm) than Dunlop and Schrader valves (8 mm). The weakest point of a bicycle rim is usually the hole for the valve stem. The smaller hole for a Presta valve makes it possible to have extremely narrow wheels while maintaining sufficient strength in the wheel.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you nerds have ruined this thread

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
my life isnt going anywhere, can i post about that here

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Jonny 290 posted:

A narrow road tire will have not have space between the tire beads to fit a schrader so actually its impossible to use one and you're not good at bikes.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
road bicycle is an oxymoron

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Shaggar posted:

road bicycle is an oxymoron

Jokes get less funny the more often you repeat them.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Syncopated posted:

my life isnt going anywhere, can i post about that here
this thread is about standards, not substandards

burning swine
May 26, 2004

its me

i ruined the thread

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

if youre not walking 10 miles a week just through normal everyday stuff youre fat and lazy

your phone keeps track of this, you have no excuse

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Salt Fish posted:

A narrow road tire will have not have space between the tire beads to fit a schrader so actually its impossible to use one and you're not good at bikes.

my quarter inch 300psi tire, i need it for MAXIMUM SPEED

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
guys shut up my cadence just dropped 3%

fun? on a bicycle? outta here, kid

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

did you know? different people enjoy different activities

also schrader valves are trash, presta are substantially better

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nah you gotta have a special thing if you need air and you arent at your LBS or your garage full of park tools

schrader is best

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
JESUS CHRIST YOU FUCKIN human being NERDS SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT BIKE VALVES FOR FUCKS SAKE

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Alright now, where were we?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
hey guys valves

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

nah you gotta have a special thing if you need air and you arent at your LBS or your garage full of park tools

schrader is best

to think i used to respect you

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm shocked that a thread about technical standards ending up in an autistic slap fight (which I won p.s by being the most technically correct).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im shocked that you showed up for a second round of getting your rear end beat

• Locked thread