Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Daiquarian?
Samarazerac?
Bloody Miranda?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Geth and Tonic
Grunt Julep

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

skoolmunkee posted:

I don't know why this one is so funny. Such an inappropriate match for Grunt. Can you imagine trying to get a krogan to muddle mint and then sit quietly drinking it on a hot afternoon at the varren races

I think the idea of Grunt wearing a silly hat seals it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

SubponticatePoster posted:

The Drink
Jokah Cola
Kirsch
Cola

You put the loving booze in the mixer and you drink it. Not complicated. Kirsch is cherry liqueur so it's cherry coke that fucks you up. It's unsophisticated and a bit trashy, much like Omega.

Simple version: I don't know how much more simple you can make it, but if you don't have Kirsch then put whatever booze in some coke.

I had no kirsch but ginjinha made a remarkably tasty substitute.

hard counter posted:

Eh, all the submachine guns in ME2 had their niche imho. The shuriken will barrier strip a praetorian on insanity insanely fast, while the tempest is good up close.

The only weapon class with a couple clear cut top dogs was shotguns iirc.

I always thought the default SMG was kinda crappy and so always made an early Kasumi loyalty mission run just for the Tempest or whatever it's called.

Also rifles clearly had two competing top dogs, either the Mattock or the Revenant.

Renegade interrupts I always take:

That guy by the window in Thane's recruitment mission
The guy yapping at you in Miranda's loyalty mission
Headbutting Uvenk

The snotnosed Asari in Samara's recruitment mission?

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 2, 2016

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
It's Shaun, like the kid from Heavy Rain.

grack posted:

Oh, and you should've totally taken Miranda and Jeremy along with you to the Citadel. I always thought it was funny as hell to wander around there with two uniformed members of a known terrorist organization while Bailey talks about how good security is now.

It's funnier if you take Legion who passes right through security. Of course it's also fun to add Legion into the squad as soon as you've done Freedom's Progress, but PS4.

Speaking of which, does anyone know the actual story of ME2 before they shuffled stuff around? Legion has dialogue on all the recruitment missions, including Mordin's who is basically the mandatory first recruit for science/plot reasons, and I remember hearing that he was supposed to be in the squad a lot earlier.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

Supposedly, you would've been able to recruit everyone right from the start. However, there was no loving way the 360 could fit all that data on one disc, so they were forced to throw their hands in the air and split the recruiting in half.

Except Legion is on the Derelict Reaper, so unless they made it possible to do that mission first (which would have been a thing, it's one of the hardest missions, not to mention not making much sense story-wise) then he must have been recruitable somewhere else?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
What about a Berliner Weisse with raspberry syrup?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

The drinking game
Finish it before the video ends

Can I finish my drink later? I'm in the middle of some calibrations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Stealing from the dead, that's pretty low.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

hard counter posted:

He mostly suffers from being the mildly pleasant support guy in a game with like 12 team mates - some of whom are returning fan favorites, others of whom are Zaeed.

It's hard to find a slot for him.

J-Lo is also the only squadmate who is legitimately terrible during his own loyalty mission. His short-range combat skills put him too close to the enemy, Pull is only useful if you pair it with Warp. I'd heard he originally had an assault rifle instead of a shotgun which would have helped

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
We should take Garrus because old friend reunion hour, and Jason because he's an even worse shot than Kaidan.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Thane looks like he can navigate vents very well, I certainly hope we give him the opportunity to do so in the future should one arise.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Migrant Fleet Enema

The Drink
Haestrom Sunrise
3 oz peach schnapps
Orange Juice
Grenadine

In a pint glass with ice, add schnapps & OJ. Throw on a splash of grenadine, don't stir.

The Drinking Game
Drink every time we see a Quarian either dead or being killed.

The Episode
We snag both Jody and Jack's loyalty missions. Thane has old timey consumption. Also we pop over to a hosed up sun in Geth territory and save Tali from being horribly murdered due to the Admiralty's incompetence recruit Tali.

This whole plotline was supposed to be the big kicker for the plot/ending of 3. The dark energy created by using mass effect fields is causing suns to go haywire, speeding up the heat death of the universe or some such poo poo. People ferreted this out and instead of sticking with it, in a fit of pique it got dropped in favor of lots of speculation. So in 2 they make a big deal about it, bring it up several times, and then when 3 rolls around it's never mentioned again.

Haestrom is bad for your shields, and any Quarian operation involving the Geth always turns into a bloodbath on the Quarian side so of course all but one of them (other than Tali) die. You'd think after 300 years they'd stop sticking their dicks in the hornets' nest, but nope. Kal'Reegar is a pretty cool dude though. And we show off the best goddamn weapon in the series, hands down. I once used it against the Oculus in the cargo hold for shits and giggles. Killed the Oculus all right, plus me and both my squadmates from the splash damage. A++, would launch again.

I'm going to recruit the last name on our dossier list then start working on loyalty missions/side content. Like ME1 I'm not bothering to show off 90% of the filler. I'll do LotSB before long, but I'm saving Arrival and probably Overlord until post-game, unless people really want to see the latter sooner.

e: gently caress there's some audio desync in there, fixes itself later on. This goddamn thing :argh:

The Space Ozone Layer plotline didn't make a lot of sense anyway, why do the Reapers need more GPUs, why not just wipe out life and continue space calculus, etc. It's not like the answer the writers came up with in ME3 is a lot better but this reminds me of that episode of Star Trek:The Next Generation where running the warp drives is destroying the galaxy, but the writers forgot about it in the next episode because it would make a very boring series otherwise.

The right side is the objectively correct way to approach the Colossus, there's also a little nest you didn't show off (kind of near where Thane sits once he starts shooting Geth again) where you can happily fire at the Colossus between reloads and it will never try to self-repair.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

hard counter posted:

If the player goes for it in ME2 and then meets some other obscure criteria in ME3 she finally gives in during the Citadel DLC.

Nobody can resist Shepard forever

But then she doesn't get together with Zaeed.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen. The Samara thing I mean.

Citadel spoilers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43AOib_qhC0

Totally foreplay.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Poil posted:

That leaves Grunt with...

Matriarch Aethyta.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ajkalan posted:

You should do Kasumi's mission next, because it's fairly short, pretty fun, and you pick up some nice hardware for completing it.

This is a fun mission and seconded.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

Yeah, he's Jim Cummings. He voices a couple of NPC's in this game.

Now I can't unhear Conrad Marburg.

EDIT: Also that Salarian questgiver at the end of the video has some tie-in with the standalone Mass Effect mobile game that came out before ME2, Mass Effect Galaxy, and you get special dialogue if you bring Miranda and Jason along.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 25, 2016

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Halser posted:

I hope the useless unlockable you're talking about isn't the space p90, because that weapon is amazing.

I was thinking they meant the gameplay mechanic we haven't seen yet from doing loyalty missions.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Sorry for your loss, SubponticatePoster :(

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
You know, hitting the weapons locker will refill all your regular weapon ammo even if you don't change anything :v:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

I don't necessarily disagree, but I'm running out of songs with booze references in them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tiz-93vbmQg :colbert:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

The Reverend keeps on giving :allears:

Also maybe a song about not singing beer drinking songs?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ3VpAEDzXw

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Piece of trivia: Like I mentioned there's a P/R check for Miranda and Jack. There's also one for Tali and somebody we haven't met yet. There was going to be one for Mordin and Grunt but it got cut.

You can find the cut Mordin/Grunt dialogue here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMHCuaVrW1I The person who made this is pretty good about mining unused dialogue from ME games.

I have the feeling there was going to be one for Jason and Thane as well, Jason is pretty catty about Thane being an assassin during the introduction sequence.

Also up for the Grunt and Mordin show.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Poil posted:

Experience the lovely Tuchanka weather with Mordin and Grunt. It's cloudy, followed by cloudy and a light shower of nuclear warheads.

I'm sure I've said it before but waiting with Tali's mission until the last minute so it can be done with the unmet squad member is the best.

It's even better if unmet squad member comes on her recruitment mission.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Poil posted:

Ok, now that sounds like it could be hilarious. Is there time to do all three?

Kind of. You can hold off recruiting Tali until after a certain point when time isn't as much of an issue. I'm not sure about thread spoiler policy, but you can do a Youtube search for Kal'reegar and unnamed squad member's name to see a pretty funny scene.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

Specifically, They'll have to wait until there's only 1 mission left of our current lot. They're kind of availability shafted, which is a big shame.

Not really. After doing A Certain Mission, you have some number of missions to go before something else kicks off. For most runs that's one mission, but I think it can be a lot more depending on how many recruitment and loyalty missions you have left to go.

How many missions you get exactly is :tali: territory, which is why nobody really does it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, the metagaming is horseshit. I know on PC you can mod in Unnamed Squadmember because all of the dialogue/interaction is there without triggering Bad Things.

You can do it on Xbox too. Gibbed is a lifesaver since you can also give yourself enough minerals to never need mining, and enough credits to avoid most of the minigames.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Poil posted:

Samara must be pretty bad at tracking if it has taken her 400 years to reach this point and Shepard solves it in 4 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys4sHKj6nAE&t=265s

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I thought you said you only saw those Plixen things once, but there is a side mission with them (the planet with the greenish atmosphere and lights to guide the way.)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Go on Jason's loyalty mission so we don't have to deal with him ever again.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

J.theYellow posted:

Does this series ever show female krogans walking around?

In ME3 there's a :black101: cutscene with this.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Mission trivia:
- The choice at the end was supposed to carry over to ME3. There's actually recorded dialogue. Except it doesn't trigger because the choice flag wasn't handled correctly. You can use a save editor to enable it.
- In pretty much every loyalty mission with combat, your sidekick's skills are useful. Think of Kasumi's loyalty mission, she has Overload to deal with shields if you don't, plus that teleport head-chop thing. Jimbo is worthless here. He sucks against mechs (fire doesn't really do much against them), he's got pull which may only be useful at low levels when you can easily do a pull-warp combo and make 'plosions. Maybe if he had an assault rifle (as I think was going to be the original plan.) then at least he wouldn't be going CLOSE RANGE on everything.
- This mission arguably makes Jason worse since he picks up a Barrier skill that he insists on casting when combat starts, meaning he can't cast Pull for 30 minutes or so. You can undo this with one of the DLCs but you're not taking him on another mission again so it doesn't matter.
- It's really fun to let Jesse pick up the datapad and start reading it, go have lunch, come back and say "well wtf is taking you so drat long"
- This is the only loyalty mission which has no penalty if you don't do it (I mean Julio can die but that's not really a bad outcome, he volunteered for the drat vents)
- What a waste of a good voice actor; Ronald Taylor was voiced by Dave Fennoy, who did Lee in The Walking Dead/Bluebeard in The Wolf Among Us.
- This really is a lovely mission. At least it's pretty short.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

J.theYellow posted:

For the third option, is it possible to order Jomo to order his own father to kill himself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPNrJ0wWU_Q&t=245s

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Morrow posted:

This is not the first or last time that something like this has happened. How did they test basic stuff like this so poorly?

Maybe all their saves had him dead ("The vents are a suicide mission, I volunteer.")

Also it could have been a matter of ME2 not writing the bit out correctly or inconsistently, and nobody realized the issue until they had already recorded voice dialogue (and as they learned with Conrad Vernor in ME2, it's better to just avoid the callback rather than get player choice wrong.)

To be fair they get nearly all callbacks right; heck there's that ME3 sidequest that has a bunch of sidequests from ME1 (some of which were really obscure) come into play and it worked perfectly.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Miranda is objectively better than Jack. Warp vs. Pull, it's not even a contest.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Szarabajka will always be Herschel Biggs from "LA Noire" for me. He was fantastic in that, in a game already with solid voice acting.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ScreamingLlama posted:

For those of you who have played FemSheps, who did you romance, if at all?

So many choices

might as well spoiler this for people who haven't played through the series in TYOOL 2016

Kaidan is Carth
Liara is "Shepard-sama noticed me!!! But I am only 109 years old, I am not worthy of her attention"
Jason cheats on you
Thane always dies, unless you missed him in the hospital ward in which case he still dies
Garrus is a male version of you
Kelly doesn't count
Traynor has bad teeth
Diana Allers :lol:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Sindai posted:

I forgot how bizarrely blatant the EVIL AURA was in ME2 if you went renegade. it's like Bioware got drunk and thought they were making KOTOR again.

Evil in Jade Empire was even worse since you could just enslave the bad guy's henchman and then enslave the people who thought it was wrong to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Stealing from the dead. That's pretty low :colbert:

EDIT: also the way I handle the boss in this video is to spam Liara's Stasis ability.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 27, 2016

• Locked thread