Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

for the full shepard experience I chose to drink the lit drink

:supaburn:

all pumped for shepard's dirty dozen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Since I don't think we're going to see much of Jason once the game progresses, I'll point out now he's boring in the same way a staunch top-left mashing paragon is - entirely too reasonable and mellow for his own good regardless of situation.

Alexeythegreat posted:

What shirt? She just replaces the bodypaint with a vinyl S&M outfit.

alternate costume gives her a visor and vest

does not reduce the number of belts on her boots tho :(

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Mister Macys posted:

EA catering to the Final Fantasy demographic. :v:

maybe jack doesn't understand clothes the way we do considering her upbringing

pants? belt
boots? belt
collar? belt
boobs? belt

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

They really try to sell you on the whole Cerberus thing here, staffing the ship with all your old buddies to make it feel like home.

It's weird to come into this game first since it seems like Cereberus was built up as the renegade analogue of the alliance since the council does disavow knowledge of the :turianass: reapers :turianass: in a pretty callous manner and the alliance does just goes along with it - even at the cost of colonist deaths/disappearances and wasted resources fighting the geth. Most of the new crew seems to be dissatisfied ex-alliance and other dudes fed up with current leadership that are willing to join this spooky group with a rep for shady science since they get stuff done. Of course nearly every bit of shady science Cereberus does in this game, the Frankenstein resurrection of Shepard, the procurement, copy and construction of a secret military warship, the development of a true AI, etc, etc, etc all work out.

Then it turns out that nearly everything Cerberus did in this game was their one shining moment in an ocean of mustache-twirling failure :v:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Krogan Star Bomb
Tschunk-a
Virmire Sunrise
Elcor Reviver
Eternity on the beach :liara:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Alexeythegreat posted:

Ah, so that's what happens if Blake is left alive.
I could never resist killing the bitch in 1 :v:

Same here but with Fist.

grack posted:

This LP is going to have a serious casualty count based on the drinking games so far.

The drinks aren't very strong unless you go wildly off the recipe. They're the kind you drink when you're unwinding, not rewinding.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

SubponticatePoster posted:

The drinking game
Drink whenever Skoolmunkee tells a joke.

:stare:

Kurieg posted:

It also gives you the Locust, which is hands down the best SMG in ME2 unless you need the Typhoon(Tempest? the one with the huge magazine on the barrel) for something specific.

Eh, all the submachine guns in ME2 had their niche imho. The shuriken will barrier strip a praetorian on insanity insanely fast, while the tempest is good up close.

The only weapon class with a couple clear cut top dogs was shotguns iirc.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Oddly Bioware seems better at DLC type stuff. Their typical mainplots usually involve something catastrophic happening, the world or galaxy is actually ending, but on the other hand your squadmates are generally in good spirits/humorous and there's a ton of lighthearted moments from here to there leading to a tiny bit of dissonance. Usually DLCs that focus on hanging out with your bros doing less important stuff come off the better for it. It's hard to imagine Shepard taking time to make sure Jack bombs his old neighborhood or Grunt's adolescence runs through smoothly, if say, the reapers had already arrived. ...Well, ignoring the Citadel DLC for now.

monster on a stick posted:

I always thought the default SMG was kinda crappy and so always made an early Kasumi loyalty mission run just for the Tempest or whatever it's called.

Also rifles clearly had two competing top dogs, either the Mattock or the Revenant.

The Shuriken was good but super niche-y. It was high damage, high barrier/shield damage, low accuracy, modestly low ROF for an smg. It was really good at shooting big things especially if they had the right defensive layers but you'd have to be quite close to see its full potential against small humanoids so most peopled just lockered it for the tempest or locust. As far as ARs go the Avenger and Vindicator were both pretty good too iirc - sometimes I went for the rifle pick-up on non-soldier classes just for the Vindicator.

hard counter fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 28, 2016

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

There used to be a massive number of ME2 avatars in general here. Not too many linger on like 6 years later.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

As fun as Grunt is, picking up Okeer himself instead would've been neat too. It'd be a fun twist to have a krogan scientist on the squad, maybe one that can play off Moridin's character, over another krogan punchman warrior just for the difference.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

a bucket would be convenient to have for that yeah

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I think Jack being a woman was a more lukewarm reveal than they intended. My reaction like 6 years ago was more of an o.k. versus the astonishment of your party, save the the bemused "that being is smaller than the reputation would suggest" of legion.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Jack and Jason for the :geno::tizzy: odd couple

:tutbutt: and :mordin: would be okay too

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Alright I admit I remember having problems with the corner flamethrower and the other shutters on insanity. Wasn't expecting this section to look that easy here.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

EponymousMrYar posted:

I also dislike alchohol, but the Vindicator Rifle is my rifle of choice in this game. It's three shot burst is super accurate and easy to get headshots (either partial or full bursts,) combined with various ammo powers from the Soldier tree and it can take out whole swaths of enemies by itself.

I liked the vindicator in this one it's very, very respectable. I also remember it being reasonably good in me3 but I never got those special weapon dlcs so I don't know if they gave you something as good as me2's mattock there.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

MA-Horus posted:

:stare: you mean you never got Citadel? Because you get a pistol and a rifle in Citadel which are basically game-breaking and awesome.

I didn't get much use out of those weapons since by the time I got that dlc I'd already run me3 through its paces and was on my way out v:v:v

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Get the lizard out of the vents.

skoolmunkee posted:

Aw come on now, garrus is like the teams dad, jack was kidnapped, grunt gets adopted, kasumis involves her boyfriend, and zaeed.... Uh.... He loves that lovely rifle

I'd say Jack definitely counts since her thing concerns her adoptive family. Same with Grunt. Garrus and Zaeed are a bit of a stretch however. Still tho, ~9 out of 12 missions having that kind of consistency is nothing to sneeze at.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

"I hated them, they hated me." Well, that does sound like some siblings :v: But yeah, Jack doesn't GAF about the other kids (other than the dude in the mission she never has any contact with them afterward or tried to find them , probably because 99% of them are dead), it's all about making GBS threads on Cerberus. Now if Jack's loyalty mission was "trying to find my mom" and she had to break into a Cerberus base and steal the info, it'd be a family-related mission.

Garrus's is: kill a dude that hosed me over
Grunt's is: ugh, I'm going through puberty and the solution is KILL EVERYTHING though I can see finding a clan as sort-of-kinda "family" if you squint, but to me it's just making him a proper Krogan instead of a test tube baby
Kasumi's is: steal back this extremely damaging piece of intel that just happens to involve my dead boyfriend
Zaeed's is :zaeed:
:mordin: is trying to find a former coworker, forgot that in the list

True but it is amusing to point out some of the people who don't have a family related thing actually can't have one due to backstory and thus straddle the line with surrogates and substitutes. The closest thing to an upbringing/fostering/childhood Jack has was with Cerberus though it was clearly abusive, she has no other identity to fall back on (Jacqueline Nought is just a play on Subject Zero) and sadly the closest thing she can have to a cathartic confrontation with her abusers was confronting an inanimate building with a bomb since that project's long been abandoned. Conveniently the last other Cerberus kid is there for her to vent on or to finally walk away from. Moridin's both crazy old and chose not to reproduce despite receiving generous breeding contracts because of his prodigy - the closest thing he could have to a family would be the proteges he's mentored. Likewise the closest thing to family Grunt had was Okeer and he's both dead and didn't leave behind the appropriate mental imprints - he needs a surrogate to guide him through the Krogan rites of passage. You could make less convincing arguments for Kasumi & Garrus imho but it's there for you to squint at since a pattern has certainly emerged. To me only Zaeed's mission is definitely cut from a different cloth.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Jaden got used for a mission other than his loyalty. This is the most successful he's been in any playthrough.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

grack posted:

Not only is Joe boring and generic, his weapon loadout and his powers are also terrible. The perfect character (to leave on the Normandy)!

It's like they purposefully made him as support as possible, pull is just a set-up for biotic bombs this time around and incendiary ammo is something you could spec up so he buffs the party. Barrier does make him survivable but that means holding off until end game... but Grunt does that better anyway.

He did look effective in the video with the geth shotgun tho, normally my squadmates fold like paper on that mission.

grack posted:

Yeah. Miranda was basically in my party through most of the game unless I was playing as a Sentinel. One character with both Warp and Overload is really, really useful even if her weapons are crap.

Conversely Miranda is as useful as possible, slam has both a setup phase for biotic combos and a detonation trigger and her other abilities can strip any defensive layer making her effective on any and every mission. She also passively boosts weapon damage iirc.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

EponymousMrYar posted:

Jacob might be boring but I like him because he doesn't whine incessantly and is generally competent, even if he is a boring support dude. It's enough that I remember his name :colbert:

He mostly suffers from being the mildly pleasant support guy in a game with like 12 team mates - some of whom are returning fan favorites, others of whom are Zaeed.

It's hard to find a slot for him.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I'd heard he originally had an assault rifle instead of a shotgun which would have helped

You might be remembering the tie-in game.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

do the blue :liara:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I love watching Thane wreck people in cqc so it's good to hear that he won't be visiting any more vents :allears:

Kasumi's stealth strike would make more sense on Thane than his relatively weak shredder ammo imho but what are you gonna do.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I don't know if it's a timer or if Kal has an unseen HP bar but he can contribute to the fight and survive if you kick enough rear end.

Killed the Oculus all right, plus me and both my squadmates from the splash damage. A++, would launch again.

Cain.txt but :agreed: nonetheless

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

If the player goes for it she blueballs them. I am so sorry for that.

If the player goes for it in ME2 and then meets some other obscure criteria in ME3 she finally gives in during the Citadel DLC.

Nobody can resist Shepard forever

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Jesse

it breaks Zaeed's heart :smith:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Matriarch Aethyta.

Technically that would make Grunt Liara's new step-mom.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

There was a dragon age ogre in the vault, that along with one of thedas' moons being a visitable planet in ME, presrop iirc, allows fans to speculate wildly :allears:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I thought that was a yahg.

I could see that at a quick glance since they're both huuuuge, horned humanoids but there's no question about it, the one in the vault is like a direct lift of the DA:Origins version - armor and all. The comment Kasumi gives isn't special tho unless the alleyways she refers to loosely ties to the endless alleyways of kirkwall/deeproads.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

oh wow, for once they -did- actually send a poet
- me after hearing subponticateposter's vivid description of collector polyp ship

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

overlord seems appropriate given how TIM was acting last video

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Psion posted:

Canada literally has a strategic maple syrup reserve, just fyi here everyone

also trust me, a lot of people in the US know about the good real maple syrup, we just don't want to tell everyone else or they'll buy it all before we can :v:

my maple syrup comes in wine bottle with vintage dates and the like :)

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Yes, Julius even volunteers for it.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Poil posted:

Your voice sounds like you're talking through Skype on laptop speakers. :v:

I was expecting some audio issues since SP mentioned it in the post but to me it wasn't so much recorded in a shipping container as it was recorded inside a plastic bucket-hat.

Sorry the new equipment didn't work out :sigh:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I think it definitely shows that the mission was written like 6 years ago. IMHO it was originally framed as more of a thrill of absolute authority thing for Jacob's dad with literal monuments being built for his worship, the doling out of punishments/exile, the elimination of other leaders, the brainwashed male servants, etc. In 2016 it reads more like a creepy sex thing since we're used to looking more at subtext now. If bioware was running that angle nowadays they'd probably use a completely different scenario, one that's not 2edgy4u.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Hmm, well it seems my fatty ol' PS3 may be dying. Keeps locking up. Not bad considering I've had it for 7 years. Ordered a new one and it will be here in a couple of days. Please excuse the delay, I'll leave the poor baby off until I'm ready to back everything up.

*plays a mournful Taps on a kazoo*

Lucky yeah. I also got mine 7 years ago and mine pretty much died at 5 when it stopped reading disks.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Aces High posted:

I always find it funny that for someone designed to have perfect everything and to have the edge over everyone...she still has nothing on your other biotics

Eh, I'd say she's implied to have better biotics than Jansen and Thane. She's only really outclassed by your powerhouses, a(nother) science experiment and a millennia-old asari or her spooky monster daughter

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

That makes sense, Miranda can biotically tangle with asari mercs at least as the last video showed. That would match her with (as usual) the top 1% of yoomanity.

makes you wonder where biotic shepard fits on the spectrum tho :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

grimlock_master posted:

The only one that rivals the vanguard is the infiltrator. Then you get to shoot out the pilot of the atlas and board it!

:agreed:

I prefer their versatility, it's telling that SP decided to roll with a sniper rifle secondary.

I do appreciate that vanguards feel real high intensity tho. You can't quite match that as even as a shotgun infiltrator who flickers out and delivers [right hooks] to enemy spines.

• Locked thread