Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

This thread is for those of us who really like to play lovely sandbox MMOs that end up being a waste of time and money. I'm going to try to keep a list compiled in the OP along with consensus opinion. No long-running mega-MMOs allowed (Eve).

Live
  • Black Desert (thread) - Buy to play ($30). BDO is an action sandbox KMMO with a large goon population (100-200) and plenty to do. Once you hit level 45, you become subject to non-consensual PVP in the open world, although due to game mechanics you'll rarely be ganked for no reason. Leveling and gear improvement both get very grindy at the higher levels, but there's so much to do (fishing, exploring, crafting, supply chain management, horse breeding, etc) that the grind is hardly noticeable unless you focus on it. While the entry fee is $30, be aware that you'll probably end up spending another $30 in the cash shop for pets (which provide an important quality-of-life feature) if you get serious about the game.

• Tree of Life (thread) - Buy to play ($20+). Tree of Life is an open world sandbox MMO focused on base building and leveling with open PVP (including friendly fire). It's really crafting focused - you'll probably spend the majority of your time using crappy tools to harvest basic materials. A lot of great opportunities for running around the map ganking pubbies and looting their stuff. Currently a handful of goons playing this game.

• Haven and Hearth 2 (thread) - Free to play. Haven and Hearth 2 is the direct successor to H&H (which inspired and was developed by the same team as Salem). Similar to the others, it's a sandbox survival MMO with permadeath (although certain traits pass along to future generations on death). It has gone through a major rewrite since release with positive results. Devs are active and push out updates on a weekly basis. There are a handful of goons playing with a few select non-goons.

• Salem (find the thread yourself) - Free to play. No one plays this game. And neither should you.

• Wurm Online (thread) - Free to play. A very fun sandbox with bad graphics. Grindy as hell. If you want to get mauled by a bear or die of spider bites in the wilderness and have a snowball's chance in hell of recovering your gear, this is the game for you. Somewhat low overall server population. Some goons still play this.

• Mortal Online (thread goes here) - Limited free to play with subscription option ($15/mo). First-person sandbox mmo with open PVP, non-instanced housing, Ultima Online style progression, and a big open world. A lot of the content (world, crafting, etc) remains unexplored or undocumented, giving you lots to explore. Sounds great, right? Well, it was also developed with 2005-era hardware and internet connectivity in mind, whatever that means to you.

Alpha/Beta
  • Albion Online (thread) - Currently in a closed beta stage that allows access to supporters who have purchased a $30+ package. Albion is a MMO with a full-loot PVP focus. Goon presence has more or less died for now. We are expecting a wipe in late 2016 at which point interest may be revitalized, although deadlines have consistently been pushed back so hold your breath. Consensus is that the developers are clueless and seem to be in an endless rework loop of core systems while failing to provide much needed content. Note that the company actively bans players from their forums and deletes reddit posts that have negative opinions of the game (link).

• Project Gorgon (thread) - Free to play. Project Gorgon is a super zany open-world PVE sandbox with a metric ton of content made by a single guy. Everything you do has a skill associated with it, many of which provide bonuses to one another in weird ways. Pretty reminiscent of first-gen MMOs. There was a decent goon presence in game when I last played (6 months ago), not sure if it's still busy. Heard the game was going to go to a Buy To Play model when it debuted on Steam - is that still happening?

• Das Tal (link) - A wise goon in the Albion thread once said "'Let's take a MOBA and make it a MMO' thought no one ever." According Das Tal's website, this is exactly that: a full loot PvP sandbox with MOBA mechanics. The combat sports friendly fire, which solves a lot of the zerg-mechanic issues Albion faced. This game has been designed to be accessible with people with day jobs: low grind, non-crippling death, soft-caps, and catchup mechanics. No goon community yet, but Pavlov promises to write up a thread when he thinks it's ready for one.

Pre-Alpha
  • Crowfall (thread) - I don't know, someone write up some poo poo about this because I don't want to. Vaporware? Open testing is scheduled for end of year, so clench those cheeks until then.

• Shards Online (thread) - Currently in a pre-alpha stage that allows access to supporters who have purchased a $30+ package. Heavily inspired by UO. General consensus is that the game seems like it'll be fun to play when it's released, but that you should wait for further development before handing over your money. Also the art direction is kinda crap.

• Chronicles of Elyria - A really ambitious pre-alpha game that's going into Kickstarter in June. Ever heard of such a thing?! Well apparently they plan on featuring no-level characters, a closed economy, finite resources, fully destructible environments, and character aging (and eventually permadeath). Will have an offline demo with core mechanics in place.

MUDS and MUSHES and SHINY TURDS
  • Amaranthine (thread) - Free to play text-based idle-timer game. Runs in your browser. Basically, every action you perform in the game is on a timer which caps at a minimum of 20 seconds. Most actions auto-repeat. Fire and forget in your browser to level up while you're working or watching Netflix or doing something else. 75+ active goons. There is no PVP and the mods will punish or ban you if you do overtly "mean" things to other players (e.g. scamming), but goons still do a good job riling up the locals in global chat.

• HellMOO (???) - Is HellMOO still around? A bunch of goons played this at one point. If you want to shoot up crack, get killed by ghosts, throw orphans into a furnace, grow some mutations, and have sex with hookers and your fellow players in a text based online video game, this is probably a good place to do said things.

• Wayfar 1444 (link) - "has more features than Star Citizen" except for the graphics, since it's a text-based game. It is substantially cheaper, though.

• Race War Kingdoms (link) - Free to play. Not about your Always Sunny in Philadelphia styled race wars. Long running browser game that is bound to give you RSI. Claims to be a game of power, intrigue, deception, and war. It looks like one goon plays this. Someone besides jiggerypokery weigh in please.

Help me add to this list / keep it up to date. We need more games to not play!!!

Changes:
2016-04-29: Added Wurm Online, Mortal Online, Das Tal, Race War Kingdoms. Updated Haven & Hearth, Tree of Life.

Ruggan fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thats a lot of bad games

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Wayfar 1444 has more features than Star Citizen, and is cheaper, too.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Eonwe posted:

thats a lot of bad games

ya, and how many of them have you played? probably most

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Isn't Haven and Hearth basically "Rust but sprites"?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ruggan what about Salem: The Crafting MMO tm

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I thought about writing about it but got worn down by that point. Write me something and I'll throw it in the op

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Snatch Duster posted:

Ruggan what about Salem: The Crafting MMO tm

Salem: No one plays this game. And neither should you.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Add Chronicles of Elyria, going into Kickstarter next month with an offline demo with core mechanics in place.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Black Desert Online has proven to be very fun. It only takes 6-8 hours to hit the XP soft cap if you utterly loathe PvE and the combat is very Dynasty Warriors and fun anyway. All the non-combat stuff is pretty compelling and the devs seem to care about player QOL as they seem to add new ways to automate or work around some of the more mundane mechanics. Only downside is that the world is very self-contained and can feel like a single player game at times due to the sheer lack of group content and competition (exception being the best high-level PvE grinding spots), and there's currently no "point" to PvPing other than chasing someone away from a spot or general antics.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
thanks rugz this is a good thing

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Project Gorgon is still planned to be B2P, yeah. There will be an optional sub and some kind of cosmetics cash shop thing too.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
How is Eve online, a bad game online, not in this list?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

pseudanonymous posted:

Everyone that plays lovely sandbox mmos has heard of Eve online. Also they don't want to play it

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ruggan posted:

[*] Amaranthine (thread) - Free to play text-based idle-timer game. Runs in your browser. Basically, every action you perform in the game is on a timer which caps at a minimum of 20 seconds. Most actions auto-repeat. Fire and forget in your browser to level up while you're working or watching Netflix or doing something else. 75+ active goons. There is no PVP and the mods will punish or ban you if you do overtly "mean" things to other players (e.g. scamming), but goons still do a good job riling up the locals in global chat.

You weren't kidding about the chat. Some of them went berserk when the goon guild showed up on the leaderboards and had more than twice the membership of the largest guilds.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Ruggan posted:

[*] Haven and Hearth 2 (thread) - Free to play. Haven and Hearth 2 is the direct successor to H&H (which inspired and was developed by the same team as Salem). Similar to the others, it's a sandbox survival MMO with permadeath (although certain traits pass along to future generations on death). I don't think there's a very active goon presence. Apparently it's seen a pretty extensive rewrite and might be worth revisiting. Not sure what the consensus is.

There is still a handfull of us playing this with a few select non-goons. The rewrite was a major change, and an overall improvement over the old Haven. The devs are active, have undergone a significant attitude adjustment, and update the game every week. The updates have all been positive for the most part, or at least fair. Those that weren't have been adjusted pretty quickly. Exploits are few, and if abused the perpetrators are punished. Some of the big additions include the Knarr (an expensive 10 man boat with a huge inventory), horses (ridable, tamable, and breedable), Towers, Great Halls, and a lot of custom materials for coloring buildings, boats, etc.

Definitely worth a look imho.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Wurm is the only sandbox worth playing. There, I said it.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Kazvall posted:

Does anyone play Wurm Unlimited? Enough to justify custom servers?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Kazvall posted:

I prefer a real sandbox with some catshit to all these games.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
Finally, a thread made for me, specifically.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

You can put RWK in the mud section if you want. It is definately long running though. The thread was a smash hit http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771999

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

What about my secret shameful love mortal online?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Jimlit posted:

What about my secret shameful love mortal online?

Gimme some details and I'll toss it up.

I'll probably make the other updates per earlier replies tomorrow

dabs violently
Jul 27, 2013

Ruggan posted:

Once you hit level 45, you become subject to non-consensual PVP in the open world, although due to game mechanics you'll rarely be ganked for no reason.

hahaha

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Ruggan posted:

Gimme some details and I'll toss it up.

I'll probably make the other updates per earlier replies tomorrow

Ripped from the op

Mortal Online

Limited free to play w/ $15 sub

-Ultima Online Style Progressions: Use skill, gain points in skill. You have a limited amount of points per character, so don't bother making a jack-of-all-trades. Instead you are expected to have different alts doing different poo poo. Full loot and poo poo too. The way races in this game work is that you basically choose your family tree up to your grandparents, and that determines your base appearance and max stats (which in turn limit your max skill stats). This also means that you generally grind up to max level in under a day. 

-First person combat/gameplay: Game is always in first person view (if you wanna piss people off, ask how to turn on 3rd person in help chat). Game is kind of like of like Mount and Blade + Spell casting. 
-Unlimited trolling potential: You can run in front of a guy's sword, get them to hit you, and proceed to eviscerate them, or watch them get guardwhacked. You can pickpocket nerds and steal their gold. You can reverse pickpocket nerds, and plant stolen items on them, and watch the guard whack 'em when they walk past. You can tame a piglet, leave it in among a bunch of other untamed piglets, and let some inattentive nerd run up to them and start smacking them until they hit your pig by accident and proceed to murder them. The only limit to harvesting the filthy pubbie filth's tears in this game, is your imagination.

-Non-instanced player/guild housing. Self explanatory.

-Unique Crafting System: So crafting in this game is immensely complex. Whether it's alchemy, armor crafting, etc., it boils down to: each weapon you make has unique stats based on the type of materials used in it's creation. So for example, a bow will have different str requirements, damage, etc., based on what kind of wood was used for the back, the belly, the style of the bow, etc. This causes a lot of recipes to become close guarded secrets, with guilds that have access to high level healing potions kind of dominate the PvP scene for a while. Even your house's stats are based entirely on the materials used to craft it.

-SO MUCH loving EXPLORATION: So partially due to the nature of the crafting system. Very little of this game is actually documented. Alchemy, high-level magic, secret vendors, secret skills, secret npcs, etc. Are all hidden and can only really be found through exploration, since sharing this information rarely has any benefit to yourself. There is also no fast travel between the cities and each bank is local. Each city is also has it's own unique vendors. 

-Tame and Dominate beasts. Get little pets to follow you around. Taming is pretty much for docile beats, and dominating is the magical variation for hostile beasts. 

- Kill your nemesis. Eat their head. Make a heavy robe out of their skin. Yes, it can be done. 

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ruggan posted:

I thought about writing about it but got worn down by that point. Write me something and I'll throw it in the op

Salem: The Gather MMO
Its poo poo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm downright fascinated by Salem, I googled it and it looks neat on paper, how did they gently caress it up to make it the target of 'no, just don't touch this' being the common reaction to it?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Eonwe posted:

thats a lot of bad games

:negative:

'tis true

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Jimlit posted:

Ripped from the op

Mortal Online

Limited free to play w/ $15 sub

-Ultima Online Style Progressions: Use skill, gain points in skill. You have a limited amount of points per character, so don't bother making a jack-of-all-trades. Instead you are expected to have different alts doing different poo poo. Full loot and poo poo too. The way races in this game work is that you basically choose your family tree up to your grandparents, and that determines your base appearance and max stats (which in turn limit your max skill stats). This also means that you generally grind up to max level in under a day. 

-First person combat/gameplay: Game is always in first person view (if you wanna piss people off, ask how to turn on 3rd person in help chat). Game is kind of like of like Mount and Blade + Spell casting. 
-Unlimited trolling potential: You can run in front of a guy's sword, get them to hit you, and proceed to eviscerate them, or watch them get guardwhacked. You can pickpocket nerds and steal their gold. You can reverse pickpocket nerds, and plant stolen items on them, and watch the guard whack 'em when they walk past. You can tame a piglet, leave it in among a bunch of other untamed piglets, and let some inattentive nerd run up to them and start smacking them until they hit your pig by accident and proceed to murder them. The only limit to harvesting the filthy pubbie filth's tears in this game, is your imagination.

-Non-instanced player/guild housing. Self explanatory.

-Unique Crafting System: So crafting in this game is immensely complex. Whether it's alchemy, armor crafting, etc., it boils down to: each weapon you make has unique stats based on the type of materials used in it's creation. So for example, a bow will have different str requirements, damage, etc., based on what kind of wood was used for the back, the belly, the style of the bow, etc. This causes a lot of recipes to become close guarded secrets, with guilds that have access to high level healing potions kind of dominate the PvP scene for a while. Even your house's stats are based entirely on the materials used to craft it.

-SO MUCH loving EXPLORATION: So partially due to the nature of the crafting system. Very little of this game is actually documented. Alchemy, high-level magic, secret vendors, secret skills, secret npcs, etc. Are all hidden and can only really be found through exploration, since sharing this information rarely has any benefit to yourself. There is also no fast travel between the cities and each bank is local. Each city is also has it's own unique vendors. 

-Tame and Dominate beasts. Get little pets to follow you around. Taming is pretty much for docile beats, and dominating is the magical variation for hostile beasts. 

- Kill your nemesis. Eat their head. Make a heavy robe out of their skin. Yes, it can be done. 

this game sounds actually good

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

hakimashou posted:

Just keep in mind that it was developed with 2006ish hardware/internet connections in mind while reading that. Especially in regards to the M&B-esque combat.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

pseudanonymous posted:

bc people looking for "sandbox mmos" want a game that puts you in a sandbox with a bucket

eve online throws you in the sahara and doesnt give you a bucket. also there's jackals. everywhere. and they're starving

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

EVE is the World of Warcraft of sandbox MMOs. Anyone who is remotely interested in the premise knows about it and if they're not playing it, they have a reason.

That being said, I'm really enjoying my time with Black Desert. There are a couple things that really kill the game for me (like visual armor sets from 1-45 because of pushing cosmetics/the cash shop entirely/instanced housing/generic auction house system/no "what you sell is what you see" at merchants) but everything else so far has been great. I'm sure I'll find more stuff to complain about as I get into the PVP sandbox but for now, it's a solid "sandpark" game.

Really banking on Chronicles of Elyria and Shards Online and maybe The Repopulation once they get that UE4 build running later this year.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 22, 2016

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bring back Star Wars Galaxies.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

I said come in! posted:

I wish EA would put some of the Origin/Mythic/Broadsword guys on some sort of Star Wars sandbox, but that seems incredibly unlikely.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I said come in! posted:

all I want from MMOs really

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Wurm though the control scheme is primitive is one of the few sandbox MMOs with built in user servers where the administrator can adjust rates. In this way much of the grind featured in other sandbox MMOs can be eliminated.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Is that SWGemu any good? I haven't heard anything about it since it was released.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

hakimashou posted:

they all do. thats why people keep making them. but they just keep failing.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

Stop. Do not do this thing.

Someone tell me about Albion Online and why I should not be playing this thing? It looks like something that should be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lemonslol posted:

Is that SWGemu any good? I haven't heard anything about it since it was released.

Ehhh, kinda I guess. Less to do with SWGemu and more to do with the fact that as much as I want Star Wars Galaxies to come back, nothing can be done about the fact that the game is really old and outdated now.

• Locked thread