Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
aarrgh-yle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
My co-worker got this stupid white girl trash tattoo.

If you can't tell, and I can't blame you, it's an anchor turning into birds with a pink and blue watercolour splash behind it. It's about a week old at this point and it already looks like poo poo. And of course it's super deep and meaningful.

:sigh: I tried to talk her out of it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Solid Cake posted:

If you can't tell, and I can't blame you, it's an anchor turning into birds with a pink and blue watercolour splash behind it. It's about a week old at this point and it already looks like poo poo. And of course it's super deep and meaningful.

The princesses look downright horrified.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

All this HoL talk and no one mentions all the wierd cipher stuff? How bout the red letter editions and all that? I just said fuuuuuck that, because I have way too much to do and can't be wasting time with that. It's cool, but not for me.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Thought this was the IOSM thread for a second

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

HOL is pretty cool because, from my experience with it, it was very hard to follow. Footnotes that took up three or four pages that were just a story being told by a dude. To put it into perspective, the book's main pages are the rambling investigations of a mad man who is obsessed with a movie made about a house that doesn't make any architectural sense. The footnotes are written by the main character, who found this book in his creepy neighbor's apartment after he passed away. Everything is all topsy turvy to represent a bunch of different pieces of paper that aren't just all put together neatly, it's like a binder of poo poo loosely connected together.

So while reading it, some of the weirder stuff and non-sequiturs that could be relevant, as well as names I think may be important, I would write down into a little journal I had bought at Target to keep track of. It took a few dozen pages of doing this when I realized that I was now writing crazy notes about the crazy notes for the crazy notes about the crazy film made about the crazy house. I felt like the author had just dunked on me, for how often the footnotes-writer says "just put this book down man, or else you'll go crazy" and here I was with a book of different-colored pen ink trying to keep track of the weird poo poo in the book

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
My hope is an anchor and i need to remember to never sink and faith flys like birds so i should just surrender to blind worship and shun any actual hopes for myself or something like that

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Reminds me of the time I went to a famous tattoo artist and asked for a portrait of John Shade and the artist inked Arthur Gordon Pym instead. Man, was that ever embarrassing!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

My hope is an anchor and i need to remember to never sink and faith flys like birds so i should just surrender to blind worship and shun any actual hopes for myself or something like that

Beyond that, sinking is all anchors do. How is that a reminder to not sink? You don't see a lot of heroin addicts getting tattoos of syringes after going clean.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

rockcity posted:

Beyond that, sinking is all anchors do. How is that a reminder to not sink? You don't see a lot of heroin addicts getting tattoos of syringes after going clean.

Go ask 19th century sailors, they're the weirdoes that came up with it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

For actual people who know what anchors mean, an anchor is about being steady and solid.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle
Someday, I want someone to come in and ask for that "I refuse to sink" quote with a buoy.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Or to be a lot more abstract and meme-y (so you eventually regret it and fit in this thread), you could go for a tattoo of a witch, a duck, a very small rock, and an anchor

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

thecluckmeme posted:

HOL is pretty cool because, from my experience with it, it was very hard to follow. Footnotes that took up three or four pages that were just a story being told by a dude. To put it into perspective, the book's main pages are the rambling investigations of a mad man who is obsessed with a movie made about a house that doesn't make any architectural sense. The footnotes are written by the main character, who found this book in his creepy neighbor's apartment after he passed away. Everything is all topsy turvy to represent a bunch of different pieces of paper that aren't just all put together neatly, it's like a binder of poo poo loosely connected together.

So while reading it, some of the weirder stuff and non-sequiturs that could be relevant, as well as names I think may be important, I would write down into a little journal I had bought at Target to keep track of. It took a few dozen pages of doing this when I realized that I was now writing crazy notes about the crazy notes for the crazy notes about the crazy film made about the crazy house. I felt like the author had just dunked on me, for how often the footnotes-writer says "just put this book down man, or else you'll go crazy" and here I was with a book of different-colored pen ink trying to keep track of the weird poo poo in the book

So a more inscrutable Pale Fire?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

CommonShore posted:

For actual people who know what anchors mean, an anchor is about being steady and solid.

That's my point really, if they got it for that reason, that would make sense, but the whole "I refuse to sink" thing people seem to have assimilated with it doesn't.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Yeah, an object designed to sink and hold something from moving freely

Has turned into

:bigtran: I won't be held back, you can't sink me.

That whole post needs to be read like a McElroy sadlibs where you pause with retarded emphasise on every reference.

"I won't SINK... because I'm FREE AS A BIRD...so nobody will HOLD ME DOWN..."

these tattoos need a big red circle with a cross out around the anchor.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

ToastFaceKillah posted:

Someday, I want someone to come in and ask for that "I refuse to sink" quote with a buoy.

I've always wanted to get an anchor with "I refuse to float" as the text but am afraid of getting judged by pretty much everyone.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Grape Soda posted:

I've always wanted to get an anchor with "I refuse to float" as the text but am afraid of getting judged by pretty much everyone.

Judged as awesome. Get it turning into a bird flying into a cage.

I can't think of an opposite of watercolors though.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

Judged as awesome. Get it turning into a bird flying into a cage.

Just get a big black square, tell everyone it's modern art and that's how you interpret it.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

Branding with a hot iron

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've pondered getting a simple anchor on my forearm because that was my grandfather's tattoo and he was pretty cool, but I probably won't.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

CommonShore posted:

I've pondered getting a simple anchor on my forearm because that was my grandfather's tattoo and he was pretty cool, but I probably won't.

That's cool though? As long as you don't throw text at it an anchor can be a cool tattoo. It's just all these idiots that misinterpret things and get watercolor anchors with scrolls that say unsinkable or whatever in terrible kerning that are poo poo.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Solid Cake posted:

Unhgg and of course it is upside down.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Looks right to me. It's not a tattoo for you, it's a tattoo for her.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kwyndig posted:

That's cool though? As long as you don't throw text at it an anchor can be a cool tattoo. It's just all these idiots that misinterpret things and get watercolor anchors with scrolls that say unsinkable or whatever in terrible kerning that are poo poo.

Oh I'm not planning to not get it because it would be a bad tattoo. After thinking about it a bit I started leaning towards not wanting an anchor on my forearm, and the "this is the same tattoo Papa had" is a bit too literal and sentimental for my tastes.

Who knows. It might happen if I decide to do a(nother) impulse walk-in some day. It's not on the "rejected" list of ideas.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

ToastFaceKillah posted:

I'll do it!

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

queserasera posted:

Reminds me of the time I went to a famous tattoo artist and asked for a portrait of John Shade and the artist inked Arthur Gordon Pym instead. Man, was that ever embarrassing!

I asked for a tat of a dick but instead they tattooed ON my dick! boy was my face red

edit: I fell asleep during it that's why I didn't notice

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle

Have I ever told you i love you

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

sweeperbravo posted:

I asked for a tat of a dick but instead they tattooed ON my dick! boy was my face red

edit: I fell asleep during it that's why I didn't notice

That's what you get for wanting an Evinrude on your johnson.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

ToastFaceKillah posted:

Have I ever told you i love you

We are a match made in heaven

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

This font is terrible.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The font and everything else

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Holy poo poo, he has very small nipples

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Krampus Grewcock posted:

This font is terrible.

Is that a version the duck/rabbit optical illusion over the I?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Krampus Grewcock posted:

This font is terrible.

Happy(belated) Mother's Day!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

ToastFaceKillah posted:

I would kill to get this tattooed on my ankle/calf

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Maybe that's what his accent sounds like.

quote:

"quotes be with you?" Oh, "angles??" I thought it was just someone really having a hard time with the word "always"

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

I forgive this guy because it looks like he lives in an Eastern European, or possibly Middle Eastern, hellhole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

On a positive note, if he gets into an emo cutting phase, he can use a razor to carve quotes around the word "Thanks"

e: Welp, that's what I get for trusting a thumbnail

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 13:43 on May 10, 2016