Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Johnny Truant posted:

Do you think dude jerks it to his own tattoo in the mirror?

Are you kidding? Without a loving doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

KiteAuraan posted:

Also, wouldn't 地 be more appropriate than 土? At least for referring to what the idiot in question wants it to refer to?

地 is more like earth in the sense of the ground, where 土 is soil.

If he actually thinks it's referring to the five elements in Japanese philosophy, the fifth is 空 kū or sora (void), not this ego-masturbatory "worship yourself" horseshit.

My guess is he got the characters from Google Translate or something because he thinks it looks more mystical that way. :rolleyes:

E: gently caress, he couldn't even get the characters in a consistent style, and that 火 is wonky as gently caress. Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

venus de lmao has a new favorite as of 11:02 on Dec 13, 2016

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

KiteAuraan posted:

One constant I've seen with any tattoo that implements kanji, or for that matter Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs or Chinese in any form is that they're all basically just run through Google Translate by someone with no understanding of the language in question.

I saw a guy once with 完美的人生 ("perfect life" in Mandarin) tattooed down his arm in a really plain-looking font. The surprising thing was that it was all correct, grammar and characters, none of those bullshit fake characters. The characters were even well-formed, except for the fact that they were all backwards.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The first one on there is 麺 holy lol dude permanently has the word "noodles" on his skin.

The takeaway lesson here is that you shouldn't get a tattoo in a language you don't speak, even if you think that your interpretation of what you think it means has, like, a totally deep and personal meaning for you.

On the other hand I really loving love noodles.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Nitrox posted:

I love that site

That is next level. Holy poo poo.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I was too distracted by the hosed up kerning to even notice the misspelling.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Autechresaint posted:

Just get 'aloha kitty' if you can't make up your mind.

Keep this person away from children. :stare:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Thin Privilege posted:

I don't generally believe these you-got-owned corrections but there's a feature in google translate I just discovered where you can write the character w touch and it recognizes it and it does, In fact, say "idiot foreigner."

I wasn't reading the comments at first and didn't see the guy being all smug condescending weeb about it ("huehuehue darling", really? This guy's loving insufferable and deserves that tattoo) and my brain parsed it as Chinese first.

Hilariously, it still works, as 馬虎 means "sloppy, careless" in modern Mandarin. Sloppy, careless foreigner is still pretty apt and it means this dude's tattoo tells about a billion people what a loving goober he is.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

there wolf posted:

Can't Japanese adults read Chinese newspapers? I think the meanings of the characters have stayed pretty consistent from when Japan took them.

There are enough differences that it would probably be confusing. Kanji were introduced to Japan in the 5th century AD, and with 1600-odd years of language evolution in both countries, character simplification in mainland China, and characters created for Japanese use that don't exist in Chinese, the answer is "not really". The majority of kanji retain more or less the same meaning they had when they were imported, but that doesn't mean that their current use corresponds to the characters used in modern Chinese: a word with the same meaning often uses different characters, and the same characters may mean different (though often related) things in Chinese and Japanese. Example: 私 is watashi in Japanese and means "I". In modern Mandarin it is pronounced and means "personal, private, selfish" and I've only ever seen it as part of multisyllabic words like 隐私 yǐnsī "personal secrets, privacy". Related, but not the same.

There's actually a Chinese joke about this but it's only funny in Chinese. :v:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

If you speak Mandarin, Dashan tells it better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axJFcxbrvSo

If not, I can try. So there's this local lord named Hu Bu Zi (胡不字) and he's totally illiterate except for 5 characters:

胡 Hú (surname)
不 bù not
字 zì characters, letters
同 tóng same
意 yì meaning

So whenever someone brings him a proposal, he just signs it 同意 tóngyì "agree" or 不同意 bù tóngyì "disagree", and signs his name, 胡不字. He gets really good at writing these five characters, and eventually develops something of a reputation.

While on a trip to Japan, he is invited to demonstrate his skills. He pauses, afraid that the jig is up and everyone will know his secret, but then inspiration strikes.

"Visiting this country, I see our Chinese characters everywhere, familiar but somehow different."

With a flurry of brush strokes, he writes:

同意不同字 tóng yì bù tóng zì
Same meaning, but different characters.

同字不同意 tóng zì bù tóng yì
Same characters, but different meaning.

字同意不同 zì tóng yì bù tóng
The characters are the same, but the meaning is different.

意同字不同 yì tóng zì bù tóng
The meaning is the same but the characters are different.

~ 胡不字
Hu Bu Zi

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Romanes eunt domus. Machine translation alone doesn't pick up on a lot of the nuance of natural language. Professional translators have software that lets them speed up the process, but they still have to be fluent in the original and target languages because adjustments and corrections have to be made.

厠妖

Toilet goblin.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Nobody should feel bad about the music they listen to.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I have an answer: Twentysomething manchild, probably thinks he's hilarious and his sense of humor is just too edgy for some sensitive snowflakes.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Holy 90s, Ba(r)tman!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

This is it, the least intimidating knuckle tattoo possible.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I mean, it is pretty tasteless, but it's also loving great. Something can be tasteless and awesome at the same time, like Gwar's late, great front-thing Oderus Urungus reading Goodnight Moon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U85CXYJg2lc

Or Gwar covering "Carry On Wayward Son":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMC9Kqg_ZF0

Or anything else Gwar has done, really.

I like Gwar.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Field Mousepad posted:

It's even weirder in German.

As are many things.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

whypick1 posted:

Pac-mandala

The fact that at least two people thought this pun was worth permanently putting on their bodies appeals to my extremely online sense of humor, but it's definitely tasteless.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Snowy posted:

When I was a kid I figured out that it’s painless to put a needle under the skin of your fingertips. Id stick the needle in and back out with like 1/16” of skin to keep the needle halfway through. Do that on all five fingers of your hand to really weird someone out.

But everyone did that as kids, right?

I had forgotten about this. But yeah. Safety pins.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I wonder if anyone stealing an artist's work has ever gotten a watermark tattooed on them because they're too dumb to remove it?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I forget if this one's shown up here yet or not.

Kerning, people! Kerning!

The rest of the tattoo is so dumb that I completely missed the shaky-rear end linework.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Bored posted:

I like how is about to set fire to his nipple. I wonder if anyone has turned their nipple into the eye of Sauron?

Edit. A quick image search tells me that there are lots of eye of sauron nipple rings.

Damnit. Closest I could find is a tattoo of the nipple of sauron upon a dude's shoulder.

It's supposed to be wreathed in flame, not really inflamed.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Actually owns. And that's not a shocker, that's an extended pinky because the drinker is fancy.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

It does mean that, kind of, but the phrasing is clunky and using 米 for cooked rice feels wrong to me. It feels like the person was going for "pork fried rice" which should be 猪肉炒饭 but the more I think about it the less sense it makes, because 猪肉 is "pork meat" and 猪油 is pork fat/lard. "Pork meat fat" doesn't make any sense. If the 猪肉 is supposed to indicate that it's a pork dish (which is the correct way to do that), 油煎 on its own could mean fried in oil or fat, but then 油煎的米 is a super awkward way to say fried rice.

The whole "name of a Chinese dish tattooed on someone" thing suggests Chinese tattoo artist loving with a dumb foreigner, but the bad phrasing and awkward translation suggests a dumb foreigner got the tattoo as a joke making fun of people who get Chinese tattoos, and translated it badly.

I've probably thought about this tattoo more than the person who got it.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

EL BROMANCE posted:

Goodnight sweet prince

I turned myself into a bad tattoo, Morty!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

He looks like my brother if he made all of the wrong choices in life

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I mean he's a walking statement on the importance of access to mental health care, so there's that.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I'm disappointed that he wasn't going out there to beat the poo poo out of Nazis.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I didn't know my ex had a back piece done

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

LingcodKilla posted:

Tasteless Tattoos: It’s a good thread name

:yeah:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

cyberia posted:

Having money doesn't mean you have taste or an understanding of what makes a good tattoo, unfortunately. It does mean you're often surrounded by sycophants or people who will blindly enable your bad decisions which is, I suspect, the reason so many wealthy people end up with trash-tier ink.

If more people had somebody to tell them when they were about to make a stupid decision, and actually listened to that person, the world would be a better place.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

It owns but you can't really say it's not tasteless

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I'm offended by the poo poo quality of that tattoo.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Cops and Klan go hand in hand

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Cartoon Man posted:

Wouldn’t that get worn down after a couple months?

Still owns.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

In one of Penn & Teller's books, they talk about a magician who had a particular card tattooed on the palm of his hand for "is this your card?" tricks, and he'd have it redone every time it faded.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

cyberia posted:

Not particularly tasteless but holy heck, the tiny thumb and just the whole layout is so weird

It's kinda cute but yeah the layout is strange

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I'm so glad my first tattoo was actually good.

I kinda want to have at least one really stupid tattoo that's well executed.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Is he a tattoo artist himself? imagine getting inked by Mr. Cool Ice :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Organza Quiz posted:

You could always get an entire Buddhist sutra tattooed on your back!

this is actually rad as hell